I've Just ...... turned off the Hubpages ad program ... shhhhh

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. earner profile image82
    earnerposted 12 years ago

So, I expected a lot of the Hubpages ad program, but I think I'm disappointed -v- what I think I could get from Google.... so switching it off for 2-4 weeks to try to do some comparisons.

Anybody else done that? Anybody got their stats?

I think I've done the right thing, but I do hate making decisions smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've just turned mine off again too. Last time I tried it, there wasn't a lot of difference money-wise. HPads had the edge, but I missed the excitement of checking my stats.

Recently HPads has had a lot of problems with late reporting, plus my CPM seems to be way down.

Time to give adsense another chance.

2. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

My mathematical expertise indicates that $0.00 = $0.00

So no change either way

3. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I turned mine off Sunday, and my Adsense improved and better than HP Ads.  BUT.  My traffic is very low, an occasional click is a big deal for me.  So not very scientific.

earnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My CPM is looking much better so far; but yeah, need more traffic.

4. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

its gone so low, i guess they are not attracting the same ads they used to!

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes but it could be seasonal too. I dunno, I hope its nothing to do with the HP slide sad

5. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

IDK but i am thinking I will turn mine off too......

6. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

I did turn it off for a month.  Adsense picked right back up.  I did turn it back on for another trial run since it has been awhile since Panda.  Can't say I'm doing great on either Adsense or HP sad

1. IzzyM profile image87

Snap!

7. earner profile image82

OK, so it's not just me then.

I figure I'll compare the CPM figures in a week or two.  Thing is, HPAds are in $$ and I have my Adsense set to ££.

But if they're way different then it'll show up.

*fingers crossed*

Panda 2.2 should put Hubs back in the game again .... I know because I hubbed about it last week ... and so I am therefore an expert.

smile

8. earner profile image82

It's 2 days in ... figures look about the same, but it's too early to say really.

But - I DO love seeing exactly which hubs made me the cash.  This is essential in helping to work out what to write about and what to promote.

It'd be nice if we could turn on the ad program on a "hub by hub basis"... as there are some with high traffic and no income, and a few with low traffic and high income.

*taps fingers*

Just got to let it run a month or so before I can really tell I guess.

I hate decisions.

9. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

I have never turned it on and I do not plan on it.

10. cre8tive profile image80
    cre8tiveposted 12 years ago

I did a bit of experimentation during May and the first part of June and found that earnings with HP Ads switched on and Adsense were about 10% better than Adsense alone.

The HP Ads CPM did seem to be hitting the floor a couple of weeks ago, but is beginning to recover, so for now I'm going to stick with the Ad program.

I may do another test if I can get my views up considerably.

11. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Uh.. so is saying "yes" to that offer when it came out why my adsense died? lol. I'm doing okay with HP ads, but it's about 20% less than Adsense.

Should I have read something or something? lol

12. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

For people like me, HP ads are doing great. I have only had about 300 hits from outside hubpages. The downside is adsense flatlined. I have money in the adsense account but not enough to "pull a paycheck" so have been trying to find a way to use it somewhere else.

I have a feeling I need search engine optimization training. LOL It seems my idea of using words I would search doesn't work as well as it should.

I even wrote a hub to title tuner specifications and it didn't do well at all. What I mean by this is I took the search words someone had used to find my hub and wrote another hub titled with exactly those words.

Since my writing isn't about money this really doesn't matter. As long as at least one person "gets" what I am trying to say its worth it.

13. earner profile image82

I wonder why they don't try Chitika.

14. Angie Jardine profile image69
    Angie Jardineposted 12 years ago

Who - or what - is Chikita? She sounds sultry and Russian ...

15. Angie Jardine profile image69
    Angie Jardineposted 12 years ago

Durr! Sorry - reread it and it says Chitika not Chikita ...  :-/

earnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL... an easy mistake to make.... if you have a smutty mind smile

The Ads Program requires somebody to have an active Adsense account already, thereby excluding a lot of new people, or dissuading them.  Chitika would help those - and, for some niches, could be more lucrative.

Mind you, that's not the only other choice/option.  Adsense does, for most, pay most, but they could have run the ad program as an extra thing, with an extra box maybe. 

I guess Yield Manager (are they still using that?) would have swayed their decision as to what to do I guess though.

16. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

I turned them off a month ago and AdSense immediately kicked back in.  It seems they cancel each other out.  If I have HP activated, I make no AdSense money.  If I have HP off, of course, I make no money from HP.  The money seemed to be equal, so I'm staying with AdSense for now and working on my niche, because I think that will be my ticket to be recognized well enough by Google.

17. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

I'm done with my experiments for now. One month on, one month off is what i tried.

When HP ads was on, my adsense was the pits. Missed payout for the first time in over a year. And the HP ads revenue wasn't anything to write home about either.

As soon as i turned it off watching the month closely, my adsense started to rise gradually. No more pennies a day. And i'm pleased with what i'm seeing.

I haven't looked back since.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)