do people make money by blogging?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (36 posts)
  1. JIN1128 profile image90
    JIN1128posted 12 years ago

HI everyone:  Just wondering if anyone makes money through their blogs.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, many hubbers do. smile

1. wheelinallover profile image76
        wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have a friend who actually makes more money from a blog than they do from hub pages. This person is in what I consider a unique situation, the niche they have is information which is in demand.
        The information provided is both timeless and currently in high demand. They are on the spot and sending information as new things are tried.

Like so many others this is being scaled back at a time when its just short of making a full time living.

The lesson here is good quality content especially timeless and something which is in high demand will make money. I personally would add video if possible. These things will help your bottom line in a big way if you continue to provide them.

All of this has been done since I met this person about three and a half months ago.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, that's not unusual.  I have a total of five blogs and together, they earn more than my 155 Hubs - and I'm hoping their income will continue to rise, whereas HubPages has stalled.

The big mistake most people make is they think they can blog about anything and make money.  Instead, you must pick one subject and stick to it.

To earn money, you must persuade Google, Bing etc to feature your blog in their search results.  The search engines use robots to scan your blog and decide whether it's relevant - and if your blog is just a collection of random articles, they can't decide.  So picking one theme and sticking to it is the first lesson.

Next, you need to use words in your articles which match what people are typing into search engines.

You can get far more sophisticated than that, by using keyword research, SEO, promoting your blog, etc. - but personally, I started by picking subjects I loved and writing about them.  That may not make me big money but the good thing is, it doesn't feel like work!

2. Green Van Lines profile image54
      Green Van Linesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you believe that you can write good blogs then you could make money.

3. dreamdairy profile image61
      dreamdairyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, of course they do.

2. JIN1128 profile image90

feel like it's difficult to earn on hubpages, but even harder with your own blog.

1. wheelinallover profile image76
      wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My advice is challenge yourself or put challenges in hub pages to write a 400 word hub and have it published within say 45 minutes. I am sure there are hubbers who would also take up this challenge which would help you feel your not doing it alone. When you can do this daily you will learn its not as hard as you think.

Once you get a following on a blog you can have guest writers which reduces your time involvement.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I know a few bloggers who have made millions of dollars too, such as Steve Pavlina, who has been teaching others how to do the same since he started his blog about 4 years ago.

I think the time for making millions out of a blog is long gone!  A few years ago there was less competition so it was a different ballgame.  Plus, as you mention, some people have made big money teaching others their 'secret' - in fact they're probably making more money conning poor suckers than they ever did with their original blog...

It's still there for those who can attract a decent list Marisa. smile

I know your daughter does well, but doesn't she have an actual product to sell?  That's a whole different story.

Yes, she has her ebook to sell. smile

4. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

JIN1128,

I make many, many times more money from my top blog than I do from Hub Pages. I am not going to share the details of the blog with you, or push it in any way (that would be inappropriate) - but I am going to tell you how that blog came in to existence.

I can't remember exactly when but it was roughly February or March 2009. I performed what I thought would be a very common Google search one night, with countless millions of answers, for information which I obviously wanted. Although I got the countless millions of answers, I found very few in the top several pages that even began to answer my question. I had played with blogging before with little success but decided to start a blog on that search criteria. I've never looked back.

I think Jason (HP staff) recently posted somewhere on the blog or forums about the value of creating content in this way and I certainly fully agree.

Note, however, the importance of posting regularly and well to your blog and all the other required criteria. The great idea is only the first link in the chain.

Good luck! smile

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I really just fiddle around online.  I make about %500 a year directly from blog (maybe $50 at most from hubs).  The better blogs are also mainly, albeit indirectly, aimed at promoting my ebooks which make a lot more.

6. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Well. . . .Mom got that hundred and five dollar check that Google sent me, and she'll get the fifty buck payout from Hubpages here soon too.

7. moneymarketing profile image41
    moneymarketingposted 12 years ago

I just post a hub concerning this subject, because many people are starting to blog and create websites, but do not yet have any kind of She has worked, so I tried to edit an article that can be very helpful to beginners.

8. profile image0
    gabby0506posted 12 years ago

I was a blogger too. But it takes enormous amount of time and energy to earn through your blogs. Because you have to strive until your blog is showcased in the first few pages of search engines.
    but comparatively Hub pages is better. You can reduce half of your burden. Your Hubs will automatically be featured on search engines and by nice ad programs like Google ad sense integration, your earnings will be pretty satisfactory

9. joshuanoerr profile image61
    joshuanoerrposted 12 years ago

Absolutely, I do, and I know several others that do as well

10. JIN1128 profile image90

Thanks everyone.  I am going to start one blog soon.  Not about making lots of extra income (great if it can do that) but more about having fun in the process.

11. tmheffernan profile image61
    tmheffernanposted 12 years ago

As far as i can say yes there is money being made from blog pages. There are also many other ways to make money online. I have wrote a little about this in some of my hubs. I am looking for the same as you. I find hubpages very good for help and support and enjoy writing but the income is slow.

12. psycheskinner profile image84

I make about $500 directly a year from my blog advertising.

13. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

thats good news psychskinner..
    my blogs bring me traffic but not much money

14. psycheskinner profile image84

Most comes from one direct advertiser who approached me, rather than services like adsense.  It really helps when that happens.

15. MarloByDesign profile image78
    MarloByDesignposted 12 years ago

If you work hard on HubPages posting good quality Hubs, yes, you can make money here.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I'm suspecting that a few days ago, google officially buried "all" blogs to PR's 1's and 0's. In other words, what used to be may not be anymore. I could be wrong...

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Where'd you get that info?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When news about the recent algo change came out, people started reporting the same thing that IzzyM just now reported. Extrapolation then ensued... big_smile As I said, I could be wrong.

2. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are right - I just checked - both my highranking Blogger blog and my website have been reduced to a PR 1, and,correct me if I'm wrong, but HP is now 5 instead of 6?

Hey what is going on?

17. LucidDreams profile image65
    LucidDreamsposted 12 years ago

I still make money blogging and in the last few days have had even more visitors then before. I guess it may depend on the type of blog you have. Having a custom domain is also very important.

1. IzzyM profile image88

My traffic is increasing to my blogs, as the link I have just posted says, it has nothing to do with traffic.

But will do when Google search decides to factor it in again, I suppose.

18. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Google, for all their fancy Panda updates and their much heralded 'freshness update', doesn't work too well.

I typed in "bloggers losing pr november 2011" in search and got a page about publics relations or  nutritional bars or some such. Nothing that I can see on Page 1 for what I was looking for.

Number 1 for the same search term on DuckDuckGo, brings me this:

http://techwalls.com/blogging/google-pa … mber-2011/

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good link.

19. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

You will not believe this!

Remember the hub I said had been copied a zillion times, and that I can't even find in search under its exact title below all the copies?

Written in August?

Its now a PR2.

How do they work that out when they have never sent a single visitor to it (at least not since August 10th)?

20. NuAra profile image59
    NuAraposted 12 years ago

I'm new at blogging and hubpages, so i guess i'll just focus on one page for blogging about something specific as well as writing on hubpages.  any advice on the best techniques i should take as far as financial success in blogging?

1. IzzyM profile image88

Have a search of my hubs. I wrote one called How to Optimize a Blogger Blog. There is quite a bit of work involved but don't let that put you off.

Once you have done the optimization, all you need to do it keep posting.

The one blog I bothered doing all that to is currently #1 in Google for its keywords, and I only started it a few months ago.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)