How'd you pick your pets name?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Sarah Griffith profile image65
    Sarah Griffithposted 13 years ago

Some people know what they will name their new pet even before they get it, others wait til they get to know it. How'd you pick your pets name? What inspired it?

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image61
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pick your master's name if you had one.

2. ByChanceTV profile image57
      ByChanceTVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My Cat's name is "Meowmeur" - He came up with it himself!

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/4665287_f248.jpg

3. profile image58
      TheLove4Petsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My husband named his dog Tequila, of course that is his favorite drink and then there is Corona after his other favorite drink. Go Figure! So I named one of our dogs Pepsi, my favorite drink. LOL The other 3 dogs are chihuahuas, Tinkerbell (I love Peter Pan) Pepe le Pew (he likes to eat cat poop) and the newest edition is Chaquita who was already named and a rescue from another family. I have a multitude of cats and I won't go into all their names. With cats you need to watch and wait and believe me a name will come to mind.

4. Miss Paula profile image40
      Miss Paulaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we picked are dogs name off of the movie 8 below.

5. sharing the sky profile image69
      sharing the skyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We named our little chihuahua/dachshund mix with regards to his coloring. He's a dark brown like chocolate and has uniform cream/white patches on his body like the milk in a latte. Then we combined the two and shortened it.

6. profile image52
      lesliebirdposted 13 years agoin reply to this
  2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...well...one was named after Mick Jagger...Mick

...another at first sight was Minou...english translation 'kitty cat'...i found her in a french part of Canada when I was travelling...saved her from the gallows....when i got home i changed her name to 'Spike'....don't ask me why...it just worked...

...next up Moe...found him on a rez...he was named after the reservation....

hey! thanks for asking...i've no more pets...and really, really miss having one...they seem to find me...so i'll keep my door open...

Sarah Griffithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought about Spike for my puppy but went with Ziggy because he doesn't run straight. Love the name Mick!

3. Annie Em profile image60
    Annie Emposted 13 years ago

We called our black lab Murphy. A lot of people who own black labs in our village call them after some kind of alcoholic drink - I don't know why, but it's become a kind of tradition! We have a Guinness, a Beamer, Old Rosie (a cider), Stowford (also a cider), Hooky (a beer), Whiskey, and now Murphy (a stout)!

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's adorable!  We have two golden retrievers, named Kosmo and Kramer (think Seinfeld), two pet Nigerian Dwarf goats named Spike and Gizmo because that's who they look like, and two black cats named Midnight and Shadow.  Besides the obvious reference to color, Shadow was kind of shy and hung back from everyone when we first adopted her so we thought it fit, and Midnight was the adventurous prowler, which also fit.

I love the names Kosmo and Kramer!

4. ravko profile image65
    ravkoposted 13 years ago

I have 2 dogs, "Orca" because I collect everything that has to do with killer whales and "Karma" as in no karma, bad karma and good karma...Lately around this house we have no Karma...

I have 2 cats "Tornado" and "Twister", I lived in Tulsa Oklahoma for a few years and experienced a tornado...

Tornado and Twister sound so cute together

5. chirls profile image70
    chirlsposted 13 years ago

My dog is named after an episode of the Simpsons! I love that show anyway, so when I was getting a dog I thought it would be funny to call him Rory Calhoun, after the episode when Mr. Burns says that the greyhound puppies look like "little Rory Calhouns". Luckily it suits our little pup, because we picked the name before we got him.

I guess we watch too much TV because our second choice was also from a TV show!

6. profile image50
    ShortStoryposted 13 years ago

The wife's fondness for classical music.

7. Purple Perl profile image49
    Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

He answered to the name Jerry and not any other.

8. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

As a child, I generally named pets after favorite literary characters, so I had a Fudge (courtesy of Judy Blume) and a Scout (courtesy of Harper Lee).  As an adult, I sort of pick a name that fits, but never really seems to stick...our two cats have one REAL name and multiple nicknames.  Isis (the oldest) is also Buki, Booger, and Fathead, depending on his behavior on any given day.  Po - who was named after Kung Fu Panda because he really THOUGHT he was a bad a$$ - is also Pooper, Pooperkins, and John Cougar Mellencat - again, dependent on his behavior.  If we were to paper these kitty mutts (which of course we'd never do), their official names would be:

Isis, King of all Cats
    and
    Po - Destroyer of Worlds

9. LeeWalls profile image60
    LeeWallsposted 13 years ago

I usually do it according to their personality.

10. profile image0
    just_curiousposted 13 years ago

We waited to determine our puppy's personality. He ended up as Alexander Dumas. I liked Alex and I had to have an innocent explanation for the name my husband calls him. Once he's potty trained it will probably revert to simply Alex, or we'll stop mispronouncing his last name.

11. skribbles profile image60
    skribblesposted 13 years ago

Well our dog originated from Japan so we wanted to give her a Japanese name.

After we got her we looked at a site that you can look at names for pets and we decided to go with Shoko, which means auspicious child.

12. s82a84 profile image60
    s82a84posted 13 years ago

I had my dog named "Teddy"

13. BarbieGirl79 profile image59
    BarbieGirl79posted 12 years ago

I named by cats: Ozzy after The Osmond Boys, Isabella because I love that name & Cody had his name when my hubby adopted him with that name!!

14. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I got my cat from a shelter.  She is old and quite used to her name: Amy.  When my family has gotten cats in the past who didn't already have a name, we chose names of friends and family members that seemed to suit them.

15. MissAly profile image59
    MissAlyposted 12 years ago

I named my dog Sugar because all that she wanted to do was give kisses but with other pets, I just looked up names and picked the one that I liked.

16. Eternal Evolution profile image72
    Eternal Evolutionposted 12 years ago

Koopa my American Pit Bull Terrier was named after the koopa troopas from Mario tongue Yup I'm a dor like that hehe

Kuma Bear my Siberian Husky came to us named Bear but we wanted something a bit more unusual so we wanted to call him Kuma which is Japanese for bear. Well his name has never been fully changed so we just call him Kuma Bear, he'll answer to both parts though :p

One of my cats is named Caith Sith. I got this from the anime Magikano. It was the name of the cat spirit that haunted a pair of panties lol yeah I know I'm weird >.<

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)