Hub titles

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Ana Louisposted 14 years ago

I thought I saw this subject on the forum a few days ago.  There were so many I don't have the time to go through and check.  If true I am sorry for starting another one.

I would like to know the how well ranked hubbers come up with a title for your hubs.  I am having a very difficult time creating a good title for some or all of my hubs, and I am sure that I waste a great deal of time on this part of the process.  Is it possible to write the hub first then title it?  That would be eaisier for me, unless I go back to composing on paper first.  I just have such a time issue and I so want to write more hubs...I'm still learning how to do all this.  I would really appreciate some advise.

2. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

you can absolutely write first, then title when you're done. Just title it before you publish. I usually try to think of something that will draw the eye to the hub. For instance, think of what you would look for. What kind of title would make you want to read more. If it's a how to hub, a pretty straightforward title would probably work best. If it's a lighthearted, or entertaining hub, try something humorous. You kind of have to experiment I think. Title IS important, but don't get too caught up on it. You can always change your title later if you think of something more clever or better suited. I know I have.

1. profile image0
      Ana Louisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Janetta, Some hubs seem harder to tiltle than others.  I have just never tried to write the hub first, but that's me...always trying to put the cart before the horse.  I know about changing the titles later...put that to good use. I used three different titles on my latest hub, finally going back to the second one.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image86
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I keep hitting 100 so I guess I count as "well ranked." For having been here a month, my traffic is also good: over 500 visits on my 40-some hubs every day (average). One of my hubs does over 400 visits a day, and therefore most of my traffic.

That hub is: Why Sex is Important to Men.

No matter how you twist the words in that title, it works well as a search keyphrase, but it also captures the attention of hubbers (most of the traffic to that hub at the moment).

The other one I have that is doing very well in Google is Venomous Snakes of North America: The Vipers. The part before the colon is a keyphrase I have myself searched on numerous occasions. It's obviously common enough that it's coming up in search engines quite a bit!

I try to use words that catch the eye or are good for the search engines. "How to" is something I'm finding myself using more and more.

I also edit hub titles to experiment with their performance.

1. profile image0

I am glad that you are doing so well.  How do you manage to publish so many hubs so quickly? I had great intentions to doing that...that time thing again.

Great advise and I will apply it as I continue onward. Thanks so much, and I will be reading your hubs.

4. GeneriqueMedia profile image60
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

I guess I'm fairly ranked...

I used to grasp with Hub titles but generally speaking even if it doesn't seem to make sense it clears up with the reader somewhere down the line. Often, just one day, out of the blue, I'm sure some say "OHHH! Now I get it!"

Some of them are just self explanatory, but I try to be a bit more clever with most my writings.

I guess it depends on your readership and who you are yourself; never jump into a new pool of ideas, but slowly stick your feet into it.

G|M

1. profile image0

I know what you mean.  I want my titles to grab attention, peak the curiosity, and create interest, but I struggle with it.  I guess there is no quick and easy way to do it.  I just want my title to be perfect...you know?

Thanks for the good words.  I'll be reading you.

5. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago

Here's some info that I put together in our HubPages Guide on researching your topic and coming up with good Hub titles:

http://hubpages.com/guide/before_first_hub/research

6. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
    Ryan Hupferposted 14 years ago

Just found this, too -- it has some great points:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Great_Hub_Titles

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)