Is This Award-Winning Kia Ad Promoting Pedophilia?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (19 posts)
  1. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

You should know ahead of time that the ad you’re about to see won an award. That might seem all well and good, until you see it, and then read that it’s being charged with promoting pedophilia.

The ad, for car company Kia, recently took away a silver award at the Cannes Lions Festival, a gathering of creative, artsy media types. On one side of the ad, it depicts a male teacher and young, female student having an innocent conversation about staying after class and the student offering the teacher an apple. But on the other side of the ad, the teacher and student are pictured having a graphic, sexually-tinged flirt session complete with plenty of innuendo...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-this … edophilia/

The ad is supposed to promote Kia’s dual climate control. But as some have noted, that seems to be an afterthought, while others have asked if the ad is really promoting pedophilia and statutory rape.

Readers over at the Huffington Post are currently taking a poll. As of this publication, 65 percent think it’s “disgusting.” Take our poll and tell us what you think.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/is-this … edophilia/

I think this ad  is pushing something... would I go a far as pedophilia... I believe so. But it is a lil distressing that they would promote any type of sexual encounter by a teacher and student. I mean to have a grown man looking at a lil girl and imigining her as a sexually enticing teenage girl is pedophelic

2. Greg Sage profile image41
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I can at least see the possibility of a different intent... like maybe the right side is all in HER mind... He's cold, SHE's hot.  SHE's the one having the fantasy.

Still, it's rather amazing they'd approve it.  Seems like SOMEONE in the process would've red flagged it.

Then again, in this age of "any press is good press"... one might note that I was unaware until a minute ago that Kia offers dual climate control.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The same thing struck me too - but then again, why have the ad at all?  Why not just think up something else, or else at least make it more clear it's the kid who likes the teacher..     Either way - creepy, dumb, ad.   hmm

3. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I don't know TM, the girl on the right looks like she might actually be of consenting age. Nonetheless, it's inappropriate for a . . . car commercial? Is it a car? I didnt bother to confirm that. But I think the whole point is that its an ad that's not related to this dramatic depiction at all. Not that its anything new as far as advertisers go. If this cartoon was made to depict teacher/student relationships having sometimes the influence of sexual tension and pointing it out as an issue to be addressed in some way, I dont think anyone wouldve batted an eyelash at it.

TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What I find unacceptable is that he is imagining her, that small child, to be that old and hot, while he is looking and talking to her and she is but six.

Seems to infer something more to me.

They could have made her a tennage girl dressed down on one side, and then hot on the other, and it probrably wouldn't have raised so many eyebrows.

4. optimus grimlock profile image61
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

What is showing is a tasteful ad from the 60's (i know kia wasnt here in the 60's) and an add from 2011 showing how sexual we've become. Its really not a dream sequence but it is a little over sexed for an ad!

What else is it doing in that format, if not inferrring his imaginings?

Even the Huff post readers agree with me on this by 2/3rds to 1/3rds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/2 … 83023.html

5. mikelong profile image60
    mikelongposted 12 years ago

I don't know what they are trying to do with that ad.... It certainly didn't spark my interest to buy their product..

With that said, Mason, reading your first paragraphs of this post, they are verbatim what the article says...

That is getting really close to plagiarism...at least in my book...

Why not paraphrase?

It is not plagerism, it is pasting... lol thus the link. I am not the only one here that pastes articles... so.. whatever. The article is about the topic, and a source to read it. I did not re-write, I pasted and provided the link. lol My comment regarding this is on the bottom under the link by about 6 spaces.

6. Bubblegum Senpai profile image87
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 12 years ago

I do, personally, find this ad just a little bit on the disturbing side - though not more disturbing than some of the things I come across as an anime fan. This does kind of remind me of an ice cream commercial from Italy that talked about temptation and depected a priest and a nun being... umm... intimate.

So wether one ad is acceptable and another is not - where do we draw the line? Society at some point has to say "this far you shall come and no more!"

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Looking at the ad, I would say that the ad shouldn't be displayed with regards to a car. It has nothing to do with a car in the depiction of the characters, so it wouldn't make sense.

How it won an award? Is beyond reason.

However, if you look at the left side, it's not promoting pedophiles and/or anything else, except cooperation between teacher and student. The student was nice enough to give the teacher an apple, which isn't harmful in any manner of thought. It was nice. The left side is also seems to be about grade school type class....while

The right side appears to be a more mature setting, such as college format. Sexual? What, because she wanted help with anatomy? Oh, please.

Again, this ad isn't about a car, so it shouldn't have won anything.

8. earnestshub profile image82
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Kia vehicles have come a long way in quality control and product development.
    It seems adverts are not their forte.

The ad is pointless when it comes to buying a car.

9. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The ad is sleazy and the teacher/student thing is pretty dubious.

And the ad blogs are saying kia never approved it, so it shouldn't have been entered.

A lot of the other winners were pretty sleazy too.  I think the Cannes jury need to grow the hell up and recognize stuff other than sexual innuendo. But maybe that's just me.

I like sexy ads but with adults and clever, and as only one of many types of ads.

10. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I can't believe that I'm agreeing with Cagsil about something besides how to do things at HP (lol)!  But I also don't see this as being in any way about pedophilia.

To me, it's saying something like this - one side depicts a cool, mild "temperature" like the kind of mild, neutral relationship a teacher would have with a grade-school student; one side depicts a rather hot "temperature" like the kind of charged relationship that could exist between a graduate student and a teaching assistant who are close to one another in age. 

Left side: This is cold; Right side: This is hot. - They have nothing to do with one another other than to serve as contrasts.

But I do think that in today's society, when we are so aware of inappropriate and abusive relationships, it was a very stupid  choice of scenes to demonstrate hot and cold.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

cool smile

11. psycheskinner profile image84

I see it as saying: our car is hot, hot like your teenage daughter having sex with her teacher--because we know how you all want that. Very WTF.

So is the other winner that is a digitally blurred picture that makes it look like Obama is grabbing Hillary Clinton's boob.  Ew.

12. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

At the bottom of the page, the text says "A different temperature on each side - Kia Sportage with Dual Zone Air Conditioning."

Still very much an Ewww reaction from me, but I honestly don't see any carryover of sexual tension from the right to the left side of the ad; and on the right side the interest looks pretty mutual to me, between consenting adults.

I don't like the ad.  Period.  But I also don't think it's necessary to go overboard with what I personally believe is a process of reading things into it that aren't there.  On the other hand, if all of the ads at Cannes are sleazy, then all of them probably become even more guilty by association with one another.

I think I'll pass on looking at the Obama-Clinton ad.

13. psycheskinner profile image84

Is the girl on the right a consenting adult? Maybe, just.

In either case the story alternatives, little girl, big girl, little girl big girl in an unsettling way.  And did you see the other one in this set of sleeping beauty?

14. psycheskinner profile image84

P.s. Kia did not approve it, at least according to them.  So it looks like the ad team lied when they entered it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)