How would you chose new subdomain name?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 12 years ago

I was invited to be moved on new subdomain in response to my interest in the blog. I have no clue what will happen. Whatever, how are you people choosing your new name?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought the name had to be your user name?

saleheensblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your new username will be used as the new sub domain name. I have a variety of hubs. I am not sure what to choose.

2. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are concerned with the SEO value of your new subdomain url, don't be.  Your SEO value will be in the keywords you use for the titles of your hubs.

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
        Mikeydoesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No idea why I quoted you. lol my bad.

Subdomain is your choice.

I however am trying to build Mikeydoes as a Keyword, so having Mikeydoes as my subdomain seems like a great idea. There may be other great ideas out there that isn't your name. I'm sure they wouldn't allow me to use "livewithrichard". As it would cause problems with him later. But I was under the impression to give him anything for a sub-domain.

Here was part of the email:

Your sub-domain should be between 3-17 characters, all lowercase letters and numbers, with no punctuation except a hyphen (-); using your username is fine.

The more I think about it it is probably better making the sub-domain for the account name only, but who knows?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you clarify what you mean by that?  I can't imagine why anyone would want to type "Mikeydoes" into a search engine?  How do you plan to make them do that?

Not many people do right now, just like no one searched Justin Bieber 4 years ago(or whatever day it was before he was famous).

Plans are still in the works. It isn't hard to get people to search for you, especially if you have a solid plan and execute. Just establish an online presence somehow is all you need to do for people to search you.

Or was that a shot at me?!

Not at all. I was just having difficulty seeing how you could ever succeed, frankly.

Yes, celebrity names are keywords - but their fans consist of thousands or millions of people.  I could certainly see you attracting a fan base, but it's hard to see how you could get it up to those numbers.

Google my name and you'll find lots of entries at or near the top - but it doesn't mean a whole lot.

I've been debating what I would choose as a username if I was invited to move to a subdomain.  I think I'd most likely move my non-dancing Hubs to another account, and choose a username related to dance.

It is a lot easier than you think, anyone can do it, I'm sure of it. If I were to start specializing in one area and added Mikeydoes to the beginning of all my content. People will take notice of the keyword regardless(this is just one of the many methods I may or may not use).

My existence here has taught me so much. That is all it has been, and learning experience. And if you can create your own keywords while using other ones and open up another revenue stream I say do it.

Right now it doesn't mean a whole lot, but in the future who knows. I'm still a kid.

2. saleheensblog profile image60

Actually I was thinking of that but unfortunately I have hubs in different niches that get some traffic. I thought about "OnlineReview" as I have lately written a lot of product reviews. I think I should send another mail to them.

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not tied to your hubs. It's tied to your username.

Cagsil, HubPages did say you can choose a new username if you move to a subdomain.

This is the problem with the subdomain though - basically, HubPages becomes more like Blogger or Wordpress.com, except that instead of a blog, you have a collection of articles. 

I'm sure you've heard the advice that if you're going to start a blog or website, you should focus on a single subject so Google can work out what your site is about.  If your posts are all over the place, Google is far less likely to consider you an "authority site" on anything, and therefore your posts won't rank as well.

If you have a new HubPages subdomain and you've written on a whole variety of things, you're going to find yourself in the same boat. It would be better to open new accounts, one for each of your major topics.  And in that case, you'd get extra benefit by choosing a username that reflects your keywords.

2. Camping with Kids profile image68
    Camping with Kidsposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure if there have been any recent developments on this issue, but I believe there may be two ways to approach it.

I think Uninvited writer is correct that as things are now, your username WILL be your sub-domain name, but ... it's possible that Hubpages could change directions and go to category sub-domain names. (although Paul E. posted that Hubpages had considered that and decided not to)

But, if you are a niche' writer, you could create a new ID with a keyword name relative to your niche. Like I did with "Camping with Kids" for my camping hubs.

or, If your writings are too varied to be categorized in any one particular niche, then stay with your username and work to make it your "brand". That is... work to promote your username as well as your hubs, so that the two become associated with each other.

an example of this is an old Internet marketer called "Grizzly."  His original niche was "make money online," and then "SEO" stuff. His name became so associated with his content that even now if you Google Grizzly or Grizzly bears, you will see some SEO results from his content.

Multiple ID's are harder to manage, and promote, but if Hubpages does go the sub-domain route it make benefit writers to consider niche ID's for SEO purposes.

Gus

3. saleheensblog profile image60

ah, good tips but I have already submitted my name and I took "InformationDesk". I have worked on different niches so I could not find a suitable keyword that fits all. I wish my new one is not a bad one.

1. Camping with Kids profile image68
      Camping with Kidsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

looks like a good choice, considering the range of your hubs.

Gus

4. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

I find this interesting. And congrats to Salaheensblog for being selected!

Hello, WE. How are you? I am sorry for the other day. Actually I had no idea about how confidential the IDs were.

I was highly surprised being invited as I always think that my hubs are worth nothing. I think either they didn't get enough volunteer for the test or they finally decided to test some substandard hubbers with substandard hubs also, lol. Whatever, it will be a nice experience although I don't expect something very positive.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Salaheensblog, I appreciate that. We all look out for one another's safety online, no hard feelings.

1. profile image0
          Multimanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are aware that you will lose some of your backlink value SEO in the change, and will likely need ultimately to redo your backlink to bring them up to full value?

Ah, I am but I didn't do much backlinking and I no more care much about my hubs, really. I have few hubs that still earn from amazon but adsense seems to be disappeared. What worse can happen? Disappearing of amazon sales? Well, not a big deal, at least I would be able to tell myself that I had contributed for the community. lol

2. Mikeydoes profile image44

I am sure that the money that I will be losing won't even come close to what I've lost due panda. I'm not really sure what will happen though, but I just want to get it out of the way was my thinking.
            --

(not directed at anyone)
            Seems like a lot of you didn't get to read this.

Here is a quote from Paul and the link it came from, great read. Also if you look down you can see was all I did was as for an invite was ask.

http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/06/prepar … ess-panda/
            "We are now going to start testing moving individual authors to subdomains (e.g. pauledmondson.hubpages.com).  This is a major development effort that is underway.  Putting authors on a subdomain clearly delineates between sets of Hubs by author, so one author’s Hubs won’t negatively impact another."

Here is the forum post with more info.
            http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/77717#post1681455

5. saleheensblog profile image60

An uncommon username has almost near to zero chance to be built as a brand unless the name is going to achieve stardom for some reason. I agree with Marisa Wright. But yes, if you can make your presence feel like sunforged or paul edmondson you have a little chance to get a very little traffic.

6. Mikeydoes profile image44
    Mikeydoesposted 12 years ago

You guys could think what you want, it is another revenue stream regardless. The more you build it up, the more it is worth. Whether it is 10 cents or millions, you can fall anywhere in there. And that is if nothing changes, I have a good idea what is to come and I'm trying to be as ready as I can for it.

I plan on promoting this name along with others, and I will succeed at it. You just have to put the time in.

Yes, but it takes effort, and it would make more sense to put the effort in where it will be most effective.

I'm learning what is effective and what isn't and I've seen people make their own keywords work in the past, you'd be surprised. My methods will take little to no effort. All of the effort has been leading up to this point.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)