I'm Saying Nothing

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Actually I am.  It will probably get me banned.  Hey ho.

When Misha left I said nothing.

When Ryan left, twice or more – I still said nothing.

When the others went… you know the rest.

As my favourite E’s started to disappear I said nothing.

As people pulled their hubs, still nothing.

I watched the suggested changes and the effect on traffic, which was nothing, and I said nothing.

I saw the suggestions ignored, and the rudeness, and I said nothing.

I watched as people got banned, and said nothing.

I noticed Hubs disappearing and… nothing.

I did moan about my traffic though. What happened? Nothing.

I made some suggestions and ‘they’ said nothing.

Meanwhile the tidal wave of crap continues.  I hear the praise from the condemned for all the changes which achieve nothing, and I say nothing.

I log in every day to a new set of problems caused by kneejerk reactions and inadequate testing, and I say nothing.

I watch in horror at spam advertising accompanying my hubs and I say nothing.  Well not very much anyway.

I see my internet friends, the ones who guided and helped me, and made HP a great place to be… leave.

Should I continue to say nothing?

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You know what? You care. And I care. As many wonderful long-time Hubbers have, and have said as much. But our words seem to be falling on deaf ears. How far does caring go?

So now you've added your refreshing voice about saying nothing which is saying everything.

Guess that's where we are.

2. TattooVirgin profile image58
    TattooVirginposted 12 years ago

I think you just said it ALL smile

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It would be nice of there was a staff member that gave some feedback on whether the PTB notice, know, care, are working on, have plans to address this stuff. Including the apparent avalanche of recent glitches, but also just their overall 2.0/post-panda strategy.  I just like to feel like the captain has his hands on the wheel and has seen the icebergs....

4. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

Mark, you and I joined HP around the same time, and while you have been far more prolific than I in publishing hubs and posting in the forums, neither one of us has been here that long.  Unfortunately, we got a peek at pre-Panda, which made the fall that much worse, but still, neither one of us (I suspect) has had any kind of earnings bonanza.

My advice to you is to relax.  You've been far more active here, yes, but I'm not sure that's been altogether positive.  Your good humor is strained and you're looking for control over something you can't control.  Take some time off from HP, but leave your hubs; explore other parts of the web, or better yet, turn the computer off altogether.  Come back after a good, long breather.  When you spend as much time as you have investing in a site, your days seem like years and your time seems exponentially more frustrating.

Ok, go ahead and tell me to $#%@ myself now.  wink

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I won't tell you to $#%@ yourself.  Only one small element of my post was about traffic.

Personally, I think I do my best work when strained...

1. shogan profile image76
        shoganposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just so you know, it's not that I disagree with you about anything.  I just don't think it's a good idea for anyone to invest him/herself in a website too much.  The whole experience becomes distorted.

C'mon, now...you sorta wanted to tell me to $#%@ myself just now.

Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. I didn't. Honest.

5. psycheskinner profile image84

I think there is a difference between seeking information and seeking control.

A distinct lack of information is a statement of control, psycheskinner.  We don't have it.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

So much for saying nothing. lol lol

7. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Show me another website as good as this one, and I'll say nothing.

Show me another website that is working as hard as staff on this one to overcome the pandaganda, and I'll be shocked, and say nothing.

Show me that the people that left here are doing better wherever they ran off to, and I'll say nothing.

Till then, let me say something - this is still the best open publishing site on the net, and my Google traffic is truly coming back to pre pandaganda levels.  Not only that, but HP staff is still working on improving the site from ever end, and in every way.  Oh yeah - don't get me started on the way my hubs get moderated while there is still obvious spam to be messing with instead, but this is the best adsense publishing site on the net, and regardless of how good your info barrel or blogger content is - those sites don't get the Google traffic that this site still gets. 

Over and out.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've worked offsite (on my own sites) for the last few months. I'm now seeing a return for my effort. At the very least I'm seeing a bigger rise in income than I did when I first started on Hubpages.

Fact of the matter is that I now outrank some of my HP stuff, using the same keywords. I did that on purpose, I experimented and used different methods than what's been used here.

I could because I have complete control. And I haven't been on a spamming spree or dropping detritus all over the 'net. I've worked hard.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
        Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I admire that.  I'd like to have my own site someday, and I will!  I only don't know how to go about it all at the moment.

1. frogdropping profile image77
          frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Take what you know has been working for you among your hubs and build a site a round that. That's as good as any place to start.

And there are still plenty of very good, very relevant articles on Hubpages that detail just how to go about building a web site. There is nothing wrong (whatsoever) with diversifying.

No matter what the (bad) external press likes to spew about the content on Hubpages, a great deal of it is written extremely well, by experts and/or highly experienced individuals.

Where do you think I learned everything that I now know? From hubbers.

1. Greg Sage profile image39
            Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I've definitely come across few Hubbers that with a little self-marketing know-how could build a decent income for themselves... but no matter how many articles they write, that same income just isn't going to come from here alone.

Flip side is, of course that they gained exposure here and can continue to do so.

Not a bad deal IMO.

8. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

For what I am paying to use Hubpages I cannot complain.  smile

Criminy, I can!  Did everyone else get walloped with that $575.00 entrance fee?

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Reality, you haven't a clue what you are paying HP, to be honest. What HP makes from the 40% of shared impressions isn't known, on an individual level.

If you're under the impression, just because it's free to sign up and use, there is a cost.

Just a thought. wink

Info Barrel - the most HP like site that I know of, pays it's authors a 75/25 split in their favour - which is better than HP's 60/40. . . .but guess what?  They have to!  They don't get nearly the traffic that HP gets!

When it comes right down to it - this site gives me an awesome platform to talk about MOST anything I want, and make some money from that - I can take that or leave it.

I'll take it.  I'm appreciative.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80

Exactly.  I've got some checks from my work here - and I had fun doing this, and still do.  Hubpages - BEST site on the net for authors and web scribblers like me.

9. Greg Sage profile image39
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

Well, Mark.

I haven't been here long, but I have acquired a modest staff whose subsistence depends on HP ad revenues.  True, they work for peanuts,but...

Just tryin' to cheer you up, buddy.

I'd draw you some ice cream or a puppy or something, but I don't share your gift.

I'd say it's a safe bet regardless that depending on ANY site for long-term consistency is bound to lead to disappointment... or any woman for that matter, but let's not go there.

Call me a newbie, but I've run a couple small companies before, and I always try to put myself in the owner's shoes.  Right now, I think they're having some tech difficulties which they will get through, but I think they're also still not sure themselves how to steer... and are trying to second guess ripples in SEO that haven't even happened yet.

So... it's part making changes you know need to happen and suffering the backlash, and part trying to second-guess future panda attacks and the like.

Overall, though, a couple basics seem fairly clear to me:

First, both for new and future ranking updates, getting rid of obvious spammy peddling is probably in everyone's collective best interests.  Google is only going to get better over time at sniffing out and penalizing behavior which craps all over the internet just to sell a product or give a false sense of authority.  Better to be ahead of that curve than to keep banging your head against it repeatedly.

Second, The other sites have their share of issues as well.  I did a lot of careful looking at Squidoo, Blogger, IB, EZ, etc. lately, and there's a lot of griping to go around.  You think things got rough here, try talking to some folks at the content mills.

Could HP be more communicative about their direction?  Sure.

The truth is, though, I don't think they've got it all figured out, and some of the stuff being tried might take a while to measure even if it were already finished.

That's bound to cause some issues, and bound to piss some people off... and it's not gonna be all better any time soon.

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For being on HP for two weeks, you sure do speak with authority.

Guessing you are someone else, too.

And about your crack about women...so sorry for your pain, but I can't believe you're not at fault.

1. Greg Sage profile image39
        Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm not pretending it's authority.  I thought I was clear about that. 

2 weeks on HP, but 27 years of business ownership experience including 2 companies that had the rug pulled out from under them and had to reinvent themselves in a new climate with unclear rules.

I had one business that had hundreds of Careerbuilder ads.  My ads all around the country were in all the top spots all the time... they never dropped off the first page. I got so effective at skewing the system that they changed their rules and did reprogramming just to stop me.

Talk about taking a hit in a singe day.

I had another where we had a couple million in equipment installed in a local hospital... and the hospital went under.

Makes Panda look like a cute kitty.

The whole vibe of the situation just seems eerily familiar to me, and like something I intuitively understand from the business owner's point of view... even though the SEO particulars are only recent obsessions.

No.  Just me.

10. psycheskinner profile image84

I shifted most of my effort to my own blogs, that proved to be a pretty good idea.  But I keep my Hubs ticking over too.

11. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

No it's not Greg. But those that I've learned from earned far more than I did on HP, and still do off-site.

The positive side of everything that's happened since Feb is that I've been able to practice everything I'd learned, without the support that HP offered. Back then I wrote something and between the favour the site possessed and a little luck I'd publish something that worked.

At least that's how it was for me. Repeating the same without HP's platform hasn't been without difficulty but I'm getting there and despite the fact that I (like many, many others - don't believe the rubbish that earning potential on HP was BS, they definitely weren't) lost pretty much everything I was making here, it's good to know that hard work still (slowly) pays off.

12. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Call me naive, but from my experiences with other sites; Ezine and Examiner to be more precise, HubPages is still the best open site out there. I have also noticed that they are really trying to combat the Panda thing on several fronts. So for now and I think for quite a long while I will be staying around.  cool

1. Cagsil profile image70

Remember, you said it first and your post does resemble your own remark. wink

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
        LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Be nice..lol, I understand what you mean but I really believe that HP will recover and not having a big overhead makes this more likely than on other sites with a bigger overhead. At least we can try to stay hopeful.  roll

1. Cagsil profile image70

lol lol

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or just amused Cags, but honestly, if any site has any change of recovering it's HP, unless Google renews their detrimental changes and appends to further surfeit a continual array of vicissitudes on HP.......   wink

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
              prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Luis, are you a singer?

Only in the shower. cool

did you ever try as a "back up" singer or you prefer solo vocals

My dear I don't sing, I have acted in some Spanish soap operas and on some commercials and done several public speaking gigs, but singing is not my forte.

2. thisisoli profile image70
          thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think HP has a low overhead lol? Central San Francisco office space, large number of staff, huge monthly sever costs.

Compared to their number of staff (less than 36 at last count) their small office space and measured against other sites, yes their overhead is minuscule in comparison

13. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 12 years ago

I decided to start putting my efforts into a couple of other sites.
    I hated their publishing options compared to Hubpages.

The  possible future here at Hubpages does worry me, as the top writers keep leaving. Eventually it has to settle down. Let's hope
    Google changes in favor of Hubpages eventually.

14. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Look, HP's ridiculous pop up trials and wierd expanding ad crap is lame, and it's running off readers. I am with you. They are striving so hard for the right answers, and I know that, technologically speaking, it must be sooooo hard. But they need to quit with the stooopid ads that they know are annoying. They have to play for the long run. That crap is short run desperation.

I don't know much, but what I Do know is that truth, honesty, integrity, and commitment to genuine customer experience always pays off long term. I get you have to survive right now, but you can't cash out the future with bandaid repairs forever. You have to work something genuine into the core again. It was like that at first.

HP... STOP PUTTING CRAP ADS ON MY STUFF. I write really good content here. Don't F------ it with that stuff. Trust me, you need entertaining content here.

However, that said, I have to be honest. My booksite and blog about my novel coming out (Blog HERE) have tons of sources of traffic. I have lots of stuff I do. But you know what, there are two sources of traffic that are constant and huge... Facebook and Hubpages.

Do I make money off HP anymore? Not really.

Do I get exposure? Yep.

So, while I think they are in a lame phase of flopping around trying to fix stuff, I also think they are really bright people who care and are trying.

So, am I irritated? Yes. Do I want them to find real solutions not quickie ones? Yes. Am I willing to have patience and allow the humans trying to do this sh!t time to figure it out in a complicated world of ever-changing and relentless competition? Yes. I hope they do, because I like them and respect what they did so far. (And I confess, I didn't build a financial empire on them... I did, however, build something of a brand... so they need to not screw that up.)

15. bgpappa profile image79
    bgpappaposted 12 years ago

To the OP, well said.

Most importantly, when someone posts a thoughtful critique of the recent changes:  HP's response:  they say nothing.

16. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

You have some valid complaints but I think Hubpages is trying

Even Ryan will tell you this business requires an enormous amount of effort and even then it comes down to a degree of luck whether you earn big. I've been lucky to have a small slice of that luck

17. saleheensblog profile image61
    saleheensblogposted 12 years ago

I said nothing and I died.
    I said and I was killed.
    I said nothing and I Left.

18. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

You say it best when you say nothing at all, you said everything and left nothing..

Keith Whitley references make me smile, purty girl!

aha,,,fine then

19. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

Might as well throw my two cents in:  Been here 19 months and have had a blast.  'Course I ain't tryin' to get famous, rich or become the most popular writer in the HP community.  I'm just having fun.  Don't care about the glitches.  Don't care about scores.  Don't even care I was banned by AdSense and never found out why.  I got a real life in the real world.  This is for fun, ain't it?

20. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

You might want to look at how many daily views it took them just to break even wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)