How it is possible to have comments without views?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years ago

Hi,

I wrote a hub and it has comments but no views. How is that possible?

<link snipped>

The views stand at 0.

Thanks

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The views only update every so often, so probably just haven't caught up with the comments yet

1. profile image0
        Sophia Angeliqueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thanks! smile It's never happened before.

2. Terishere profile image61
      Terishereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering the same thing? Thanks for asking. CMHypno thanks for answering smile

2. profile image0

Actually, that's not true. There is something wrong. It's been about two  hours now and it still hasn't updated. I've been here for seven months and have written more than 200 articles and they always update within five minutes.

1. Mrs. Menagerie profile image89
      Mrs. Menagerieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am having the same thing with my latest hub...several comments, no views.  Something is amiss here.

3. Greg Sage profile image40
    Greg Sageposted 12 years ago

I've got a few comments on each before any views.

Views only seems to update a few times a day, really.

It's been that way every day for the couple weeks I've been here.

The hub feed I've seen delayed by almost 4 hours before.

It says the latest was 35 minutes or whatever, but that's just the last time they were batch dumped.

Seems like my hubs are taking somewhere between 90 minutes and 4 hours to show (could be lucky depending on when submitted, I suppose), and stats for views updating maybe half a dozen times a day.

1. profile image0

Greg, it updates immediately. if you've only seen it update every few hours, then there is something wrong.

My hubs have always updated immediately. The moment I put them up, I can see the viewers within a minute.

1. Greg Sage profile image40
        Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...because you have followers.

Publish one, then go to Hubs, and display by Latest.

It will not show.... not for a minimum of 90 minutes from the dozen or so times I've checked.

It says updated every 30 minutes, but you will notice that the same ones are there for hours sometimes with the times frozen...

The last two times I tested this, I confirmed that my hub was hours old and burried 8 pages deep before it ever showed in the latest hubs listing.

In the meantime, it LOOKED like there were 35 minute old hubs being shown... because the times don't update until the next batch is dumped.

Your followers, however, will get the notice.

This is also part of why comments appear early... mainly from followers who got the notice.

Whether it appears in hopper in interim, I'm not sure.

1. profile image0

Look Greg, no disrespect meant. We're talking about stats. And the stats show up immediately, and have always shown up immediately. You have been here two weeks. Most of us have been here a lot longer. Do you honestly  think we don't know how HP works?

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
            theherbivorehippiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine have always showed up immediately as well Sophia....you are absolutely correct. (As if you didn't already know wink)

2. Rebecca E. profile image77
            Rebecca E.posted 12 years agoin reply to this

sophia-- yes the stats are not showing... (sigh!)

4. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

I have had time lags between views showing and comments before. But if you are really worried, why do you not check your Google Analytics account to see your views?

5. Greg Sage profile image40

You asked how it's possible, and I answered it from two different angles based upon data collected from a dozen tests.  In addition to those tests, I actually wrote down all the actual times at which it updated over the past 4 days.

Not specific enough?  How's this.  5 times yesterday between 8 am and 8pm EST with the longest lag in the a.m.

I even pointed out specifically that I can't speak for how it USED to work... only that I am quite attuned to it's current behavior, and quite certain that it has not worked the way you describe even once at any point in the past two weeks.

I was very clear about only speaking for it's actual current behavior, and not that of the past.

My average hub has several, and one in particular had six comments before it showed a single view.

You ask a question, then show contempt for a specific and researched answer.

So be it.

And yes... the question itself reveals that there is, in fact something happening for which you do not have an explanation.  If you knew how it all worked, you wouldn't be asking.

One can only assume from your reaction that you have researched and discovered the actual batch-dumping schedule as I have, so no further explanation is necessary.

I was under the apparently mistaken impression that you were asking a question and wanted an answer.

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Sophia A., I think that it's one of these temporary glitches that is a result of some of the new features and engineering changes going on.  I too have noticed numerous times in the past few days that the stats page has been stuck.  (I believe it is true even now.)  It seems to me that the more complicated things become, the more glitches become possible.  sad

Anyway, as to why the comments could show when no views show up, I have no real response other than that it is a glitch or a bug.  I guess the various bits of data go through different pathways and experience different "logjams," so to speak.

And (PS) I agree with you that in the past the views on the stats page have updated immediately or practically immediately.  I think the system is just overloaded with data right now.  Just MHO.

1. profile image0

Thanks Affionada, I think so, too.

After I noticed that my other stats weren't updating either, I emailed the hubteam. Perhaps that particular server is down. And perhaps, because it's unlikely that everybody's work is on the same server, it's only happening to some of us.

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I guess I could have also asked -  When you say that the Hub shows comments, are you referring to the actual comments themselves or to the number of comments shown on the stats page?  I think the former would be easier to explain than the latter.

Comment stats show near immediately.

They are not batch-dumped in the same fashion.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the reply, Greg.  But I was actually meaning to get a clarification from Sophia Angelique as to what her OP meant.  Still, I do appreciate your information.

The information about batch-dumping is helpful, but I don't quite understand why our stats in the past have updated immediately, as Sophia said.  That was true for me, as well. I know that I don't understand enough about the engineering process to know why this would change so radically.  Can you help me understand?

I've got a couple quasi-educated guesses as to why, but I was just trying to give relevant facts... not opinions.

Okay, thanks.

I hope you do understand why your response above seemed like an apples-to-oranges comparison.  It's refreshing to know that you understand your experience of the past two weeks has not been the norm - or, I should say, the Old Norm.  It's possible that it's the New Normal, but for those of us who've been here longer, it's more puzzling than it seems to be for you.

Yes, and you are level-headed and polite as always.

smile

Ohhhhhh, have I ever got the HP forums snookered!  lol  lol

No, really, thanks for the kind words.

Some of you guys have so much technical knowledge that you may not realize that what you say sounds like something totally different to those of us who have some, but only an infinitesimal fraction of what you have.

@ sunforged, thanks for the info - it is a very good thing to learn.  Great explanation.

@ IzzyM - No, you are definitely NOT the only sad stats watcher.  I feel like I'm in mourning, and I'm reeeeaaaallllly hoping I'm still experiencing the update glitch.  sad

2. profile image0

Aficionada, as per link below, I was talking about the stats under "My account'. I think Greg was thinking about something else.

Yes, I did catch on to the fact that Greg was talking about something else.  smile

My question about your original post was whether you meant the comments stats, as opposed to the actual comments on the Hub itself.  As I read here, you really were referring to the comment stats. - Just making sure my brain is processing correctly. big_smile

1. profile image0

What was happening was that I  could see the comments on my hubs because I was getting emails telling me. So the comments showed up on the actual hub plus the stats. However, there were no views. I then noticed that none of the stats were updating. I think there was a temporary glitch somewhere. It's back to normal now!!! smile

8. profile image0

Ladies and gentleman, this is the page I'm talking about.

http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/stats

STATS.  The page where all our articles are listed one after another and the page that is NOT available to readers. It has nothing to do with followers or anything else.

Viewers have always updated immediately!

The path is:

Click on MY ACCOUNTS.

Then Scroll down.

The STATS are given.

This page has always updated immediately.

9. profile image0

It's finally updated. I wonder whether it's a glitch in the system, or whether they have changed the system. Time will tell!

Oh, I'm glad yours have updated.  My stats looks abysmal right now. mad I hope you are right, that they are stored on different servers - maybe mine haven't been updated as yours have been!  I want my numbers to go up!

1. profile image0

Yes, well. I won't say anything about that! I've started writing ebooks now at smashwords and amazon (under my real name). So, hopefully, that will take off. However, I guess I can't help myself. I always have something to say and my blog isn't as nice as HP! smile

big_smile !  Cool!  I'll keep my eyes open for them - I have every confidence they will do well.  I've been trying to organize myself to spread out more, including other sites and e-publishing.  So far, most of my projects are just in planning and beginning stages.

Well said! - but I'm sure your blog is very nice too.

1. profile image0

My blog is called "The Easy Life' and the problem is that much as I would like life to be easier than it is, I'm not getting much done on it!!! Good luck to you Aficionada. smile I'm sure you do well. It also took me a long time to get past the planning stage. It's also a learning stage. smile

10. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I've almost given up checking stats.  They are so unreliable as to be useless.  Lot of minor bugs in the systems at present.

1. profile image0

Mark, I hear you. I can't quite figure out some things. There are so many discrepancies.

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I took part in a 30 minute challenge which had 4-5 other people, when the challenge was done, each person read and commented on the other person's hub.

I had 5 comments on my hub, and had no views registered, by the time all was said and done.

It is possible, depending on how quickly the people read and how long the hub is written(word count). If the hub isn't too long, then it possible that the people only scanned the page, got the gist of the hub and then left a comment. It happens all the time.

There is no glitch, no problem, no nothing.

1. profile image0

Cagsil, I don't know how many times I have proved you wrong over the past 7 months, but anyway...

You're talking about minutes. I was talking about three or four hours. That has never happened to  me before. However it is finally updating. I did notice that nothing else was updating either. It came back up a little while ago. Problem solved. smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Proved me wrong? Talk about ego. How sad, you need to inflate yourself for no reason.
        I'm glad you have your problem solved. wink

Totally unnecessary, Cagsil. sad Remember: comment on the issues or arguments, not the personalities.  People have given you the benefit of the doubt plenty of times.

1. Cagsil profile image71
            Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you say that to HER, instead of jumping on me. I was only pointing out the sadness of the beginning of her post to me, when I was trying to help. roll

I will accept that you believe that was your intention ("pointing out the sadness of the beginning of her post to me") but I can assure you that it sounded like an attempt at a very sarcastic put-down.  I'm glad to know that was not your intent.

And I'm also delighted to know that these words: "Talk about ego. How sad, you need to inflate yourself for no reason" are helpful in your eyes.  I will be happy to add them to my repertoire when I choose to be helpful to you.  Have a great evening.  smile

12. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

If you have a Wordpress or other blog it is possible to have comments but no views if bots have been on the prowl wink

13. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

One has been able to make a comment from the feed since its inception. I.E. a comment can be made without a view occurring.

You can also comment from the Hopper which is AJAX based, that may not be registered as a view either.

I also dont believe the  Hp Stats is real time. i.e. its not immediate , it has always seemed to update a few times a day,often enough, but not immediate.You can tell because the numbers dont change every time you refresh.

The stats also stall pretty frequently, even before any changes to structure that may be occurring currently.

That's really fascinating - so cool to know this.  Since I never used the old feed (actually, almost never), I wasn't fully aware of this.

I think SA's current problem really had to do with a stats delay this time, though.  I'm experiencing one myself.

14. Greg Sage profile image40

oy vey.

Yeah, that's it, Sophia.

I just don't understand what a stat is.

If you read what I wrote, it's crystal clear in my first post that I am:

1  addressing the stat question directly

and then:

2  Pointing out a relevant parallel in another part of the same system.

MAYBE I'm just too stupid to grasp that you're talking about stats not updating...

or...

MAYBE when things are dumped in batches (as I have been responsible for setting up in automated systems I have administrated), there is a very short list of reasons WHY they are dumped in batches.

MAYBE that list has two categories: 

1 delays caused intentionally by humans attempting to review things, check for spam, verify stats, etc.

and

2  delays caused by computers whose automated processes hold the information for a given task to be performed.

Can you think of a way to test which of the two is causing it?

I can.

... and I did.

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

The question was:

"I wrote a hub and it has comments but no views. How is that possible?"

So I figured i would share a way for it to be possible. I dont think its the cause just pointing out that the possibility exists.

Yeah... taught me something new.

16. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Am I really the only sad stats watcher on HP? They update every hour, round about 20 past the hour, except when there is the occasional delay and they get stuck. There have been a lot of delays in the past week or so, probably due to the site updating that is getting carried out, because the of the new subdomains.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)