Duplicate Content - Myth or Massive Problem?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (41 posts)
  1. HSanAlim profile image59
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

Given all the time spend world wide worrying about Panda and Google's poor quality and duplicate content comments, what the hell does this post from GOOGLE themselves mean.  Talk about contradictory!
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. … apers.html

1. mskills profile image82
      mskillsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I'll need to hunt around for HubPages' remarks on duplicate content, I don't think this particular issue is what HP is concerned about. 

The blog post you linked to is focused on content that has been stolen from the original source and posted elsewhere.  I think Google is saying that sites should not be concerned about the negative effects of stolen content because they are skilled at judging the original source and filtering out the duplicates.

2. ScarrletRaven profile image61
      ScarrletRavenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My hub got listed as a duplicate and put on unpublished due to the fact that I had posted it on another site. I deleted it from the other site, but it's still listed as a duplicate. How can I get it to not be?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It takes time for the duplicate warning to disappear, because your old article is still listed by Google.  You have to give it time to disappear from their cache.

I think you would also need to email team@ and tell them you've removed the other version.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

That's a very old quote. 

This is the latest from Google:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/76734?p … ost1663178

This will have an impact on any writers who republish the exact same article in multiple places.

2. carpesomediem profile image61
    carpesomediemposted 12 years ago

That blog post is also from 2008.  I would like to think if Google couldn't tell the differences then, they've come a lot way to help discern which is the original source and which is the copy by now.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really?  Seems like I've seen quite a few reports on these forums about stolen content being posted on googles site, where they ignore all attempts to get it removed.

1. carpesomediem profile image61
        carpesomediemposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never personally had any issue getting content removed from a Google-owned site.  Might take a few days but then it's gone with no hassle.  Other sites, that's a different story.  As far as being punished by Google or other search engines for someone copying my content, I've never seen any issues with my views dropping when I see a copy pop up.  That latter bit is what I assumed the OP was talking about.

The problem is you have actually people sorting through DMCA complaints and that takes longer.  If Google, and other search engines released algorithms that actually dealt with duplicate content in an intelligent manner, I think the Internet might be a less copied place.

I've only had one copied hub and got that one removed with no problems in just a couple of days.  Others have posted that they can't get action from google for weeks, however.

I think you're right - if the SEs would, they could clean up the copies in jig time.  Given that google knows when every article was published I can't see that it would be a major problem to simply not allow copies to be listed at all in the SE results.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I think that's what the new Panda update is aiming to do, so let's hope it works.

I would sure hope they can do something.  It would be a big a big benefit to writers, operators and site owners while shutting down the slimeballs of the internet. 

If they can do that I would (almost) forgive them for Panda!

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Do you file a DMCA with the website owner as well?

In the one case I had someone left me a comment that was just a little odd somehow but contained a link in it.  At the end of the link was a site selling the same type of product I was with a complete copy of my hub - photos and all.

I left a comment on the site and sent an email as well - within a couple of days I had an apology and it was gone.  Probably one of the very few people that actually didn't know that theft was both objectionable and illegal.  I wish they were all that simple.

Now that I think about it, though, I was also involved in the fiasco a while back where half of HP was copied to a site and dozens of hubbers chased the guy over half the internet, shutting him down several times before getting it cleaned up.

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
                Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The one I had stolen was probably  by the same guy you are talking about. The killer is that it is a hub that gets almost no traffic. What did he want it for anyways!

3. Aficionada profile image80
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got my fingers crossed about this.  I'm fortunate in that I've only had one instance of copied content - to the best of my knowledge.  Fortunate?  Maybe that means the thieves think I'm not worth copying!  lol

But, seriously, the one thing I wonder about in this matter, even before Google rolls it out is:  If a writer moves their content to another location, would that change the date that is attributed to the article (in its new location)?  and, if so, will that new date create a problem?

Yes to both.  Google will have a cache that will linger around after the content is removed, and this will result in a "duplicate".  The new copy will be a "duplicate" of the one removed, but not yet lost.

As google also seems to like older content the new date will cause the loss of any brownie points gained from age.

3. buynikond90 profile image55
    buynikond90posted 12 years ago

I just had an original article, never posted anywhere posted anywhere else, deemed to be a duplicate.

It looks like hubpages is a tough venue for niche marketing, unless the niche is so obscure there isn't much published about it.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this
      1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh my.  An innocent mistake I'm sure.  Amazing how many people get caught out that way.
        "I didn't mean to burgle your house.  Just accidentally fell through your window, and borrowed your TV".
        I am sick of copiers.

Funny thing is.  I've NEVER had a copy warning.  WHY?  BECAUSE I DON'T F------- COPY.

Angry? Yes.  Just a little.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've had all kinds of "duplicate content" warnings because I've had all kinds of stuff stolen at one time or another.  If it's put on a Google site it's usually easy enough to get it taken down.  People put it on their own Google sites, and people from all around the world post the stuff in all kinds of weird places - and getting it taken down isn't possible (unless, by some freak chance, a blog owner is willing to take it down if you write, and even know who to write to).

There's no real policing your stuff, because HP only gets a fraction of it.  Finding everything stolen, or sections of things stolen, isn't any project I'm about to tackle on a daily basis.  So, I just got so I gave up, went around and got anything I've ever written anywhere, and started to post it on any site/blog I have that's mine (as opposed to something like HP, where now duplicate content is against the rules).  Search engine-wise (and now, especially, Post-Panda-wise), I know the consequences of doing that - but I stopped caring.  Better my stuff competes with itself than have someone else cause my earnings to drop because he stole my stuff.   mad  I'd rather have no earnings than have stuff some slime-bag is going to benefit from.   mad  I intentionally put stuff online that I think isn't likely to be stolen, or attractive, to "certain elements".  It gets stolen anyway, because they have no standards!!   lol

Angry?  Not any more. Used to be a lot angry, though.    I'll stick with TOS wherever I am, but other than that I do my own thing with my own stuff - if anyone wants to steal it, good luck to 'em.  It's already online if four/five other places (not counting wherever else someone posted it that I don't know about).  It's my stuff, and I'm doing what I want to do with it.  One way or another, I'm still managing to get paid for one thing or another - so let the rest of it "do whatever".  roll

(P.S:  I'm also not going to be worried about Panda either, other than with what I post on someone else's site - like this one, in which case I'll go by the Panda standards.)

2. wilderness profile image95

lol  Did you notice the cache site indicates a member only 39 minutes? 

I guess falling through Marks window and borrowing the TV doesn't take long...

Good catch, Izzy!

1. IzzyM profile image88

I didn't notice the cache date, but am not surprised. HP have been known to be spot on about this kind of thing in the past, and I have fallen for the sob stories too. "It wasn't me. I didn't do it. I only write original content."
          Heard it.

2. Lisa HW profile image61

lol   On the other hand (and contrary to how quickly "certain types" learn some things) it takes SOME of us (rollsmile, particularly those of us who, oh - maybe -  have an Earth for an avatar, years to keep remembering to be a little more tuned into some of this kind of stuff.   lol    My own "tuned-out-ness", cluelessness, and inability to live-and-learn often "amaze" (and frequently embarrass) me.   hmm

I'm the same way.  It would have never occurred to me to look at the cache as Izzy did (and don't really know how anyway), plus I too trusting anyway. 

I'm slowly learning to look around at the profile and a couple of hubs, but always seem to miss the obvious.  We can be thankful for the Izzy's of HP.

1. IzzyM profile image88

No no don;t thank me! I learned it from Relache  and others more 'in-tune' with all this online stuff.

To look in the cache, Google search for the username or the hub name, whichever you know.

Then when the results come up, click on the cache and you will see the Google snapshot of the hub in question.

Then you can read for yourself the 'removed' hub. If using Google Chrome, highlight some text and right click for a Google search and see what results come up.

Unique content doesn't have a copy.

OK - I see the cache on the search results.  I'll remember that.

I find copied stuff the same way with FF - block some text (not the beginning as thieves often write their own first paragraph or so) and search for it.

1. Lisa HW profile image61

I didn't have a clue either (about the cache).  Live and learn after all.   smile   For the most part, I'm not very trusting of a whole lot of stuff and people online.  It's just like offline life, though:   Sometimes if you don't have that "criminal mind" you aren't even tuned into some of the stuff (no matter how "sharp" and "cautiously skeptical" you think you are).   hmm    (Of course, sometimes "criminal minds" aren't particularly clever either.   smile  )

2. Barbara Kay profile image74
                  Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip on how to find copied stuff. It seems I learn something new here every time I read.

3. buynikond90 profile image55
        buynikond90posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's not the one I was talking about. I realized I couldn't change that one enough to make it unique, so I deleted it.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I don't know what other people do, but when I decide to write a hub on something, I research the topic first. I read loads of sites and see what people say about something.
          Then, in my own words, I write something new.

Now obviously it can't be completely new because all those sites I read mentioned bits and pieces of whatever it was I was researching, but the ability to condense all that information into just one article makes it unique.

Plus a line or two of my perspective or experience on whatever it was doesn't go amiss.

There is no point in going to wikipedia, for example, and just rewriting one of their entries, unless you can add a new dimension.

Anyway, sorry I got the wrong hub.

1. buynikond90 profile image55
            buynikond90posted 12 years agoin reply to this

No problem. I am learning though and I thank you for responding. Have a great weekend.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Thanks for adding an avatar! You now look like a real person and not a spammer. Welcome to Hubpages, and sorry we got off on the wrong foot smile

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

it's getting more difficult to come up with an original idea on the 'net.
    Even though there are universally known and written phrases, word for word articles is hard to explain..roll

5. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 12 years ago

The amount of people who have the nerve to come out on a public forum and lie, outright and unprovoked, never ceases to amaze me.

1. IzzyM profile image88

In my own little world, which is becoming increasingly obvious to me, we just don't print such glaring untruths.
      But this big bad world around us is made up of either people who live in their own completely different little world, or else think the rest of us are retarded.

I have a hub that is getting battered with traffic, and also with really obnoxious and nasty comments to me.

But in actual fact, these people see the world differently from me, that is all.

So, I permit their comments even though they put me down for mine.

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it is a little of both. Some people can get away with things on the Internet others wouldn't even dream about. So who are the suckers?

Oh we are - no doubt of that.  After all, we provide the content the thieves then use to earn money with.

At the same time, though, I can live with myself and hold my head up while I do.  As a common thief I couldn't.

2. Lisa HW profile image61

People do live in their own worlds.  They think what they think, believe what they believe, and often aren't even about to believe something different, even if they're given proof/evidence.  The big shocker, kick-in-the-head, wake-up-call, I had was when my divorced turned into a giant mess; and people who knew me were asked for "input".  I was handed a piece of paper  by the lawyer, and I wouldn't have even guessed it was so supposed to be about me.  lol    The killer was, most of these people who contributed weren't knowingly lying.  They honestly believed the wacko stuff they did!!  hmm  If people in your own little circle can get things that wrong - imagine what strangers online do. 

(I'm sure I was "permanently scarred" by what went on and by how shocked I was, because to this day I know that's one reason I tend to use tons of words to try to make sure nobody misunderstands my motives or what I'm thinking.   hmm _)   Other than that, though, I have grown kids, potential employers, and whoever else - all of whom have the Internet too.  I'm not about to make myself look like an idiot by saying/doing things online that any of those people might run into.

6. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

yep , wonders never cease

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I had the experience to tell the honest people apart from the dishonest ones. But I think I can see some of the telltale signs - like someone saying "I never duplicate anything" or "I always pay my debts on time." I mean, why would someone come out and say that?

7. buynikond90 profile image55
    buynikond90posted 12 years ago

Nice to meet you. My name is John.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)