4th July Celebrations What would the Founding Fathers think of Obama?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

What would the Founding Fathers think if they seen that America has a Black President, would they think America has come of age or it was living in the dark ages?

1. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

for a second I thought you were going to talk about the job he is doing. My mistake. I honestly think they would not be too happy with the way he is running the country, if it has any bearing on the subject.

Here's a thought from Ben Franklin.
      "I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

1. Paradise7 profile image68
        Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like that!

1. profile image0
          Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.

1. Paradise7 profile image68
            Paradise7posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome!

2. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

It is not the color of a person that determines who can be President, but what can they do for our Country. I don't personally care what our founding fathers would think there was tremendous ignorance then. We should have came of age years ago.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The founding fathers would be shocked by women voting.

They would be appalled at the thought of women in the military giving orders to men. Women in combat? The founding fathers would faint.

Poor white folks voting? It wasn't what the founding fathers envisioned.

Interracial marriage?  Mongrel children. If Thomas Paine is average in viewpoint, the idea of a Catholic president would have been appalling.

We gloss over in American history discrimination against Chinese, Native Americans, Irish and Italians.

Negros in the military? WITH GUNS???!!!!

Open homosexuality? Equal rights regardless of race creed or national origin?The founders would freak.

The fabric of society has changed. That's why the Constitution is a dynamic 'living' document which must be read with the changes in mind.

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It should be read with changes in mind, but are they truly giving the American people what they are asking for? mmmmmm.... Changes is good but Doug when a couple is interracial regardless if the couple is black and white, white and asian and the list can go on. The children are not mongrel children, they are blessings and it does not matter what the skin color is. That is part of our problem many still look at the color of a person's skin and not the intelligence of the person.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
          Doug Hughesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I am very much in favor of cross-cultural marriage. My wife is Russian - our daughter is Russian-American as I am committed to respecting her Russian heritage.

I used the word 'mongrel' for emphasis - to underscore how we respect cultural diversity now but don't erect the cultural barriers which the founding fathers believed were natural law.

3. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 12 years ago

Can Obama really celebrate the 4th July with his achivements to date smile

4. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I think the founding fathers would have been shocked at the thought of a black man being president.  Racism was taken for granted in those days.  The only experience the white population had of black people then were as slaves.  They may have been very democratic in other respects, but I doubt that "We the people" would have extended to all peoples.  It is worth remembering that even the Church in those days supported slavery.  In Britain, there were a few votes in the House of Commons to abolish slavery, and on the times it was defeated, the church bells across the land rang out in celebration. The idea of equality of all races is a relatively recent understanding, far ahead of the mindset of the founding fathers.  I don't know if the word racism even existed in those days, but the expectation of the white population was that God had made them as rulers of the world, and black people were seen as belongings, made by God to serve the white population.  I think we have a lot to be thankful for, that mankind has progressed so far, so quickly, that the race of the president is not considered an issue - at least for the majority of the world's people.

5. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Some would have been horrified... and some would be very proud of this nation, and others would be on the fence.

6. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 12 years ago

"Pass the Grey Poupon Tommy (Jefferson)"
    "Sure Ben(Franklin)." wink

Hellfire Club. Hear of it?

7. Paul Wingert profile image61
    Paul Wingertposted 12 years ago

I think our founding fathers would be impressed with our president becasue he's dealing with issues that didn't exist in their day. The founders of this country didn't deal with international affairs, health care, global economies, etc, etc. These guys existed decades before the industrial revolution and the issues that came along with it - child labor, wage and employment discrimination, and so on.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)