refreshing a hub

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Twilight Lawns profile image73
    Twilight Lawnsposted 12 years ago

Is there any way of "refreshing" a hub so that people can have a look and say, "Wow!  This is new and exciting"? or at least, "Wow!  How did i miss this excellent writing?"?
    I feel so sorry for my little hub; alone and ignored and neglected with no one reading them and realising how wonderful they really are.
    Yeah! Right.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not sure which one of the 80 you mean, but have you tried backlinking, posting it/them in Twitter and Facebook, pinging, sending a link or two or three to friends in e-mails?

Also, search through or skim through these forums for similar questions.  A lot of us have asked the same sort of thing, and you may be able to find responses galore, already written.

Twilight Lawnsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't know which one I mean?  Any of them.  I sometimes wonder if I have fallen off the edge of the world.
        Thanks for the suggestions.
        Pinging/
        Sending to friends?  No, I'm a very non pushy sort.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

You can post a link on your home page feed with a comment about the hub. If you use social media, you can also tweet a hub or post a link on Facebook, etc.

I've read some of your hubs, they're definitely worth reading. smile

Thank you Rebekah, you were one of my very first followers.  Thank you for that kind comment.
      I don't like social media FaceBook is so childish at times.
      But thanks lots for those suggestions.

3. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Aficionada, I am beginning to regret  asking for the advice,  Not because I'm not getting it, but I think my poor lame brain can't cope.  I think I'll just continue scribbling and HOPE!

4. carpesomediem profile image61
    carpesomediemposted 12 years ago

You can always go back and "refresh" your hub by adding new information, pictures, videos or links.  You also want to utilitze social networking like Twitter and Facebook to share it.  Even old hubs get some lovin' this way!

If I add information, no one gets a "Twilight lawns has just made an old hub more interesting" does it?
      That's what I would like.
      And FaceBook and Twitter... I am a slow reader, and i spend half my time trying to catch up with HP.  But thatnks for the advice.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

i refresh hubs every once in a while but with all the copying done on this site, I think we should leave the original along;at least to prove that it's ours?

That's a really interesting bit of advice.  Thank you Stacie.  Maybe you're right... Thank you.

6. Amanda Severn profile image95
    Amanda Severnposted 12 years ago

About half my hubs receive no traffic at all, or maybe only a trickle. Every so often I look at them and wonder if I should just delete them, but I can't work up the energy. They're like cobwebs in the attic. No-one's looking at them, but they're not doing any harm, so let them be. The sad truth is, that only information hubs tend to get found regularly by google searches.
    Twilight Lawns, you are one of the most readable hubbers I know, but if you want the readership you deserve, you need to get busy with keywords and clever titles.

Amanda, I am almost blushing at that lovely comment.  And I thank you most sincerely. I just find the whole machinery of HP and all that goes with it very daunting.  And I wonder if I should just let sleeping dogs lie.  I love writing and get the satisfaction out of it, but it would be nice if someone poked a nose in once in a while.

7. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

TwiLaw, I actually have two (or three?) concrete suggestions that you might want to try.

One is to read IzzyM's Hub Simple On Page Optimization Techniques to Instantly Improve your Viewing Figures and follow her suggestions about using keywords more effectively.

A second suggestion would be to use the "status update" bar on the new HubPages home page to announce that you have tweaked or refreshed your articles, once you do so. [EDIT:  I believe this is what RebekahELLE was talking about above.]  If you haven't used that very much just yet, you may not know that you can access it by clicking on "Home" or "HubPages" on the top left corner of any page, to get there.  At the top of the page you should see a tab marked Status.  I personally have found that the box processes more slowly than I usually type, so I have to slow down my typing. (That may be because I have an older version browser.)

Honestly, I don't know whether anyone reads those updates.  I have just now run a little experiment to try to find out, but I have no results just yet. -- But it can't hurt to try!

As for your comment that you are a non-pushy sort, I believe a lot of us can relate to that!  I did finally give in and start announcing some of my Hubs on Facebook, but always with a twinge of anxiety about how others may respond to it.  But I have had some positive feedback and some readers as a result too.  The HubPages Status Update is something like an in-house Social Media announcement, and I believe that it does give you exactly the sort of opportunity you want, to announce "Twilight lawns has just made an old hub more interesting."

A third sort-of suggestion is something that I am trying with some of my Hubs, and that is to be sure I haven't added too many tags and in-text links.  Those can be bad for a Hub.  So, while I am checking my Hubs to be sure I have followed IzzyM's suggestions, I am also weeding out some useless tags and links.

So, if I were to summarize and prioritize my lengthy post here, I would recommend:
    1. Read IzzyM's Hub and take notes on her recommendations.
    2. Take 1-2 of your Hubs per day and revise them, using your own ideas for "refreshing" them, plus the suggestions from Izzy, especially writing your own Hub summary.
    3. Use the Status Update on the HubPages home page to announce that you have "just made an old hub more interesting." Include  the actual title of it and, if there is room, mention something specific that you have added - new pictures, new video, new information, etc.

Afficionada, I cannot believe anyone would go to all those lengths to advise and encourage another person,  Thank you so very, very much.
      My mind is still reeling from reading all that information and marvelling at how clearly and concisely you have set it out.  When I read something like this I almost feel like giving up the ghost; not because it isn't helpful; quite the contrary, but because you seem to be so capable, and I so much an amateur by comparison.
      Thank you again,
      Ian

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well,... you're welcome, but I doubt that that ("amateur by comparison") is the case big_smile

I have learned so much here on HP from other Hubbers, but I still have so much more to learn.  For my part, I try to work on the things that I know I am capable of doing at the time, with the hope and expectation that when I know more I will feel more confident of working on the new things I have learned about. 

I am constantly amazed at how much other people know, and there are plenty of times I figure it's hopeless for me.  But then, I remember that there are many things I can do better than those people can, and that we all contribute in different ways. 

The same is true for you - look at how many more Hubs you have than me, and look at the length of time we've both been here.  I'm the one who should feel like the amateur, compared to you!

We all just do what we can and learn from one another. smile

Don't believe it.  A lot of the stuff that I have put on HP have been written years ago.  I have written some recently, yes, but I have been writing since I was at Teachers' College (where we had to as part of the English Major we were doing).  I then didn't write anything at all when I was teaching apart for some stories for the children in my classes.  It is only recently that I have started writing again.
          I am in the middle of two novellas now (never try to write more than one largish piece of work... It comes to nothing) and my Poona stories are recent..
          That sounds so pretentious,,, they are novellas because they started as short stories, and just took the bit between their teeth; as writing does with me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)