Is Panda 2,2 hitting Hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I lost 500 views a day in a 24 hour period. Is this Panda 2.2?

2.2 is the update that is supposed to hit scraped content.

http://www.webpronews.com/google-panda- … e-2011-06?

There have been plenty of rumors of it going live but this is the first time I have seen any evidence of a sudden impact on my own traffic.

Overall, Quantcast is showing no major drop in traffic for Hubpages yet but this is as significant a drop in traffic for me as the original Panda.

I have a horrible (I hope unreasonable) feeling I am seeing the end of any significant income from Hubpages.

Or this whole thing just a stats glitch at Hubpages?

1. shai77 profile image79
      shai77posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lost about 30% traffic too,the last two days.
      Hard times!

2. Richieb799 profile image75
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I asked this question yesterday morning, originally me and Wrylilt thought it was 4th of July but I've seen a slight retrun to normal since Monday

3. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has seen a pretty big increase today, I gess the high quality content rises to the top right Will?

Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You obviously have not been following this thread, Thisisoli.

1. thisisoli profile image71
          thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seen people talk about a drop anda  recovery, but for some there was no drop and instead a large increase.

2. suziecat7 profile image77
    suziecat7posted 12 years ago

My traffic is WAY down today and it was pretty bad already from Panda. Who knows?

3. Will Apse profile image89

I won't panic for a little while but the scale of the drop on my accounts brings up bad memories of previous Panda slaps.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

I'm not seeing it.  According to Analytics, this will be my best day since June 30.  Not by much, but I expect it will top the only other day that's currently beating it.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've seldom had 500 page views a day to lose.  I've no idea what these people are talking about with significant income and Hubpages.

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

page views are only partly relevant - its about the money you make which is not always the same as page views LOL

I can assure you that there were people making $1000's a month here - I was making hundreds - but its been slashed since Panda

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

I was being half way sarcastic.  I do know all about that. . . .but it never translated on a personal level.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

My traffic isn't great, but not abnormal for a Saturday.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Not seeing a huge drop, although weekends are usually slower.

I wonder about those seeing huge drops, are these more product oriented hubs? Think about all the articles online about the latest gadgets, and the topics that generate high paying keywords. How many people are writing on those topics? hmm There must be an overload of very similar content written about products.

7. Will Apse profile image89

Well, its good that it is not a site wide problem. It is still strange that after staying very steady since the last Panda purge, my traffic should suddenly drop- on two separate accounts.

Also, it is all kinds of hubs that are losing views not just the affiliate orientated ones.

July and August are known to be lousy for selling online but I have a lot of summer and kid-orientated pages that usually do well at this time of the year.

1. IzzyM profile image88
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have also suffered a huge drop Will, over the past 24 hours just like yourself. It's across all hubs, not just product ones. It has fallen yet further since I posted about it on another thread about 8 hours ago.

8. prairieprincess profile image92
    prairieprincessposted 12 years ago

My traffic was very low. It hasn't been that low for months. It is normally lower on a Saturday, but not this low.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I've seen a few threads this weekend about drops in traffic. It could very well be a summer slump in regard to certain topics.

I found an article written in late June about Panda that's interesting, especially the sections on the Panda ranking factor and recovering from Panda. To be honest, I don't follow it too closely, but I thought some may find it worth a read.
    http://searchengineland.com/why-google- … date-82564

10. profile image0
    timonwellerposted 12 years ago

Yeah I think it is hitting Hubpages a little as well, do you think it is the affiliate links like amazon, ebay etc on posts being factored in to lower rankings.. Hard to tell..

11. Will Apse profile image89

I've got the stats for my other sites now and page views are down around a quarter. I doubt they have been Pandalized so I am hoping it is just a wonderful sunny weekend right across the US and people are taking advantage of it.

The weird thing is Independence Day had far less impact on my visitor numbers.

12. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I'm well down, and so is one of my friends here who I spoke to on the phone. My lowest for a long time.
    Anyone else notice how slow the forums are here today?

1. IzzyM profile image88

I thought the forums have been slow for weeks!

T see stats have been stuck for at least the past 6 hours. Just as well, what we can't see, we can't fret about!

1. sofs profile image75
        sofsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol .. some consolation.. big_smile

Traffic to my hubs have also dropped miserably ..  and  the weekend just ads to it .

13. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 12 years ago

My traffic is always slow at the weekend, but it does seem especially bad together

14. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

My traffic from hubbers has been dropping.  But not the Google views.  I think HP is getting quieter, that's why they're pushing the competition to try and get more people writing hubs.  I personally have pretty much stopped writing for the mo here, just because it makes more sense to put effort elsewhere until things either improve or don't improve...

I also volunteered for the subdomain experiment, so any weirdness with figures I don't take as gospel...  I wish they'd give us an update on that, though the silence on it suggests the results might possibly be disappointing, but we'll see...

15. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 12 years ago

Panda is no more an endangered species, especially Google's panda.

16. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Forget HP stats. Check Analytics. And Google can't tell the difference between scraped and crap content.

It. Can't. Read.

EXACTLY - why you'd use HP stats is beyond me - crude to be polite - google analytics gives you the details.

Earnst the forums are quite because many people have left because the of the fall-out from Panda - and I don't just mean the Google discounting of HPs - is more HP's managements reactions.

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*nods* And HP never claimed they could match Analytics anyway. Besides which there's so much you can glean from using Google's stats. Love or hate Google, they're not the rampant beast they are for nothing hmm

2. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Liz! I have been a bit surprised at how hubpages ignored suggestions made by some of the more experienced writers here. I have been discussing this with another hubber, also a retired businessman, and we think they have made some big mistakes that only a beginner would make when it comes to looking after a business that is built on content and relies on writers to get advertising results from their hubs.

Like yourself and many other hubbers I wonder why they did not at least explain what their reasons were for not building a better front end with a couple of simple fixes that stops the spammers before they get a profile, and to handle the slap in a more professional manner. smile

Because they are panicking Earnest - they have more to lose than any of us - but unfortunately that doesn't guarantee that they will make decent decisions under pressure.

But its really our own fault - it was easy to make money here - but really you need to control your own websites - and some of us forgot that

1. earnestshub profile image79

Agreed Liz. I am not losing progress anywhere other than hubpages at this time.
            It is not worth my while to write here at this time, but I will anyway! smile

Once in a while I return to an old hub, revamp it and see a result. That isn't happening here at the moment for me either, so I am in go slow mode writing hubs or editing old ones. smile

I hope they hire a good business consultant soon! lol

1. Richieb799 profile image75

Thanks exactly what I've been saying.

Do you have a personal site I can feature on my new site Earnest? I've been providing backlinks to my friends here on my site Direxit

1. earnestshub profile image79

Thank you for the offer, but no, I don't have a personal website anymore, I am near invisible apart from the usual social bookmarking sites.
                I have built a few in the past, and kept my offline business on the first page of Google consistently.
                These days I have other ways to make money. smile

17. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Think it's all drifting off thread topic.  Analytics won't tell you if a panda has struck, as it will only give you info on your own personal hubs and other website's views, which may well be completely different to someone else's.

You need to look at stats for site as a whole.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's drifting off-topic because? Hubbers are asking for insight into stats, why's wherefore's etc, and you think that me suggesting that they should check out Analytics is off-topic?

Whatever. I'll go back down my noob hole then.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5253935_f248.jpg

The above from a HP account. Doesn't show Google kicking off huh?

LOL, Frog Dropping is right because those of us who've been here a long time and have a constant daily traffic will notice if there there is a gradual decline.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suspect that HP restructuring the entire site is a much more likely explanation for the fluctuations in viewing figures, rather than Google, and that many people on here are barking up the wrong tree.  But we shall see.

2. Lissie profile image75

I don't really care about the overall site's stats - I care about the performance of my hubs -that's what (used)to pay the bills

18. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Well, what d ya know! I went offline for a few hours to drown my sorrows, and when I return my stats have doubled!!

If this is Panda 2.3, bring it on!

:LOL: my websites have made up any traffic lost and earning, fight those Kung Fu Panda's I say wink

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81

heheheheh.  Yeah.  It's a glitch.  Mine don't add up either.  They are where they should be, instead of where they are.

19. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

You are right Izzy. Just checked mine too. Almost double what it was 3 hrs ago.

DEFINITELY A GLITCH!!

What the heck! Mine has doubled as well! best its been for a week big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

Considering that this is Sunday night in my part of the woods, the stats results, if they are correct now, are way up on what they normally would be for a Sunday.

The individual hubs that normally do quite well are soaring. Adsense is not showing the same results, but I know there is a time lag somewhere, so I hope they are correct.

20. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

I hoped it was a glitch.  I figured so, as I was making money as the stats kept going lower.  Must be something new in the works. smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

May well just be an HP glitch caused by them working on the site.

21. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Yesterday my stats hit an all time low, but now they are about 50% up on what they have been for this time of the week for the last few weeks..
    Google seem to be having another play around.... I just hope it continues to rise..

1. IzzyM profile image88

Check your stats again - I've just had another massive rise! I can't be the only one!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I've seen one also. I wonder if stats were stuck for a while?

1. IzzyM profile image88

Could be! Then what we are seeing is today making up for yesterday's record low, but without any actual change.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's probably best to check analytics and compare.

1. viryabo profile image93
              viryaboposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea. smile

22. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 12 years ago

Getting really close to Pre Panda.
    IS THIS A JOKE???

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, my traffic and earnings have surpassed my pre-panda stats for quite a while now.  smile

23. Will Apse profile image89

I'm seeing the same huge surge as other people.

The only thing bothering me now is that there were traffic spikes before the last 2 big Panda updates.

Am I paranoid?

24. CMHypno profile image84

After a really low weekend, I got a massive spike of traffic

When I checked GA, I found that it was all traffic to one hub and that the traffic was coming from Bing

Historically, I have had very little Bing traffic, although it has picked up a little post-panda, but one of my hubs has made it on to Bing page 1 for a search term and pulled in over 1,000 views overnight. Trust me, none of my hubs bring in this traffic on a daily basis, so I was gobsmacked. Even earned me a few Adsense pence!

Go Bing Go! smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

WTG, CMH!!

I haven't had a spike like yours, but it's still way up, and I've just checked and my extra traffic is coming from both Google.com and Google.co.uk. (and yahoo search)

Unfortunately without the clickers, but still...nice to see some traffic back!

Not one single click yesterday, despite the traffic.

1. Florida Guy profile image67
        Florida Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Big rise about 50% .
        Wonderful suprise!

25. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 12 years ago

Isn't this traffic roller coaster be caused by a stats counting problem at HP, and now the figures are playing catch up and counting from 24+ hours in the 24 hour figure as it incorporates the views that weren't counted yesterday. That's happened before.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Hi Spacey!

No, I don't think so, analytics is showing the rise too.

26. CMHypno profile image84

Hi Spacey and Izzy, I checked my stats with Google Analytics too.

27. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Since Panda, my total views have steadily remained at the levels I was seeing in November 2009 when I only had five hubs to my name. I have absolutely no motivation to write anything more on this site at present.

1. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can feel where you are coming from WriteAngled. This is only one hub, and better traffic to a couple of linked hubs. The rest of my traffic is still way down.

Shows though that good traffic can be had from Bing, but I find that getting my hubs indexed there is really hard

28. Jessicablox profile image39
    Jessicabloxposted 12 years ago

Panda comes under play mainly when you have submitted duplicate content in many website.. About traffic reduction i can't say anything. It has not happen with me.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My traffic has gone right down since Panda and none of my content is duplicate.

2. IzzyM profile image88

Spinning articles to make hubs is not acceptable practice on Hubpages either.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Ultrasound-System-and-Probes
      http://cancerattorney.org/category/breast-cancer/

Flagged!

29. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

For the record we passed Panda 2.2 a while ago, Panda is a monthly occurence which re-evaluates the values provided by it's algorithm.

30. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

Sorry to be a dampener, but I am going to sit on the fence until there is either a significant Hubpages announcement, a Google announcement, or there are enough stats over a decent period of time to demonstrate a clear trend. 

A jump in an indvidual person's or small group of hubbers' HP or Analytic stats over one or two days may be significant, or it may not be.  As the previous few days have shown, the figures seem to be jumping around all over the place at the moment.  My experience of working with computer stats has taught me to be cautious when interpreting them and HubPages has given me no good reason to change that approach.

As well as Google, the whole situation is further complicated by HP experimenting with the structure of the site using subdomains to try and improve SEO. 

I do hope for the best, but you can't extrapolate a great deal from stats that are jumping around over a very short period, especially with limited access to all the figures.

Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everything is just back to normal for me, today.

I will settle for normal after that little shock of two days ago.

It would be nice to see a genuine uptick, though.

1. IzzyM profile image88

Well, Will, mine dropped back a bit but I am still a bit up on last week and the week before.

Sad this is, my adsense cicks have disappeared, completely. None, nada. Two days now. Just turned Hubads back on a couple of days ago too, partly because Adsense was abysmal before, and partly because I have a better chance of reaching payout with Hubads which is half of Adsense's payout minimum.

CPM first day - which coincidentally was the same day I had a huge drop in traffic, was high, and abysmal since.

If it goes any lower, I will owe them money!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)