Writers And Aspiring Writers Please Help Me, THANK YOU SO MUCH?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. profile image49
    FelineFranceposted 12 years ago

Okay, here is my problem I try to learn every freakin' detail about my main character before I start writing. I am very afraid of criticism and allowing others to read my work. I wish there was a way to make myself completely anonymous. Should I seek advice or criticism before I start writing? I keep asking my family about if my character makes sense and I feel like I am not going anywhere. Thank very much for all your advice. Meaning, should I develop my character then ask for criticism? or should I receive criticism as I write?

1. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want to be a writer then you are going to have to accept criticism, especially if you are writing fiction.  Accept the fact that you are going to fail when you first start out and that with each criticism you can build on and fail a little less.  With enough practice and a little thicker skin you will find your successes will outnumber your failures.  That's not to say you will never fail again, only that nobody gets it right the first time out of the gate. smile

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suggest learning how to write a character sketch first, then do it for your main character.  Write a scene, or two or three, then and only then submit them (either to family, friends, or a writers group - online or in person) for a critique.  Keep writing and don't give up.  Not everyone will respond the same, and pretty soon you'll learn what works and what doesn't.  smile

3. galleryofgrace profile image71
      galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Use writers groups as suggested- family may not be objective enough or they may be too objective. Trust yourself.

1. Rafini profile image82
        Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, but family means more than parents or siblings.  For example, my daughter doesn't like my stories but my ex-sister-in-law does.  (and usually we don't get along!)  So, it takes a bit of practice to find the right trusted readers for an honest critique.

4. RedElf profile image89
      RedElfposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A friend of mine who is a fabulous writer maintains that though he knows his characters and plans out the story-line, once his writing starts to flow, his characters often "surprise him" by heading in a different direction - as if they start writing the story instead of him.
      I find that happens when I am "in the zone" - my characters start acting in ways that totally fit their characters, but that I didn't consciously plan out.
      It can be very freeing to allow yourself to not completely plan absolutely everything. If nothing else it will lead you in some unexpected directions.  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

5. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well hon you are pretty anonymous and all, but some advise from someone without a clue;

first bravo for putting your fears out there and trusting no criticism even in your post

second whatever way you play to publish is open to criticism, write true to your heart, there is guaranteed to be criticism no matter what, just like me and all of us, and for what it is worth I write very personal issues and from all my loving comments only few disagree. They have that right, as do you to delete the comment.  I personally leave them and not respond, peoples criticism, if not done in a caring honest way shows that characters true colours.  Let it be.

Maybe you don't realize it but you are not alone all writers like any creative outlet have our insecurities, use that to your advantage

Be cool

I'll shut up now

Kimberly

ps I am going to follow you and count on the fact I will only support you

good and bad

this community 99% of the time embraces each other, 1% can f@uck off

oops didn't shut up

lol

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It is very easy to join online critique sites using a pseudonym.  I would recommend critiquecircle.com or critters.org.

3. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I agree with Richard, as a writer you need to get accustomed to criticism. At some point in the future your work will have to be critiqued and not all will be flattering. Practice makes perfect.

Getting critiqued now in the developing stages will help you to improve your character.

4. wayseeker profile image85
    wayseekerposted 12 years ago

I agree with the general consensus that constructive criticism is essential.  The good news is that it does get easier with time. 

As a side note, I notice how you mention that you try to figure your characters out before you write.  Many writers do this, and it works very well. 

I recently wrote a novel and found that I work much better when I only have a very general sense of my characters when I start to write.  I get to know them as I follow what they do through the events of the story.  I have to go back later and make adjustments, but I find it kind of exciting to see what they're going to do next, and honestly not knowing. 

Perhaps it might help to become more comfortable with not knowing your characters when you begin.  Just go and see what happens!

Good luck with your writing and remember, even Cormac McCarthy needs to revise once in awhile.  We all suffer from it.

5. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I agree with Wayseeker in the regard that for me, my characters develop as I write and that is exciting.

To answer your specific question I would suggest writing first and then seek the criticism. What you have in your head may or may not translate into the written word, moreover, the final product may come out completely different than your initial plan. And finally, remember that character development is essential to any good writing. Become that character completely and then let the pen speak for the character. If you become the character, then the words should flow easier.

6. babblebreeder28 profile image60
    babblebreeder28posted 12 years ago

I have found that the best way to start a truly good novel is to just START. Right off the bat, with no planning other than a very general plot or idea. NaNoWriMo(National Novel Writers' Month, just in case you didn't know)is a great way to get a novel going.
    The idea is that all of the editing and thinking and details can come later. The most important thing is to just get it all out. There's a great big mess of fantastic in your head, and if you try to sort through it right away, you're going to run it down into a toothpick before anything gets accomplished. So, just go with it. If you can't wait for NaNoWriMo to start in November, then just start your own writing month. Set a goal of 100 pages for one month, and get as much of the genius out of your head in those 30 days as you can.
    I wish you luck in your future endeavors!

7. profile image52
    NickR25posted 12 years ago

Ah yes, starting is always the hard part. Don't worry, I've been there before myself.

I also agree with Richard that criticism is needed to be a good writer. What I recommend most is practice whenever you can, too.

I also wish you good luck for the future. smile

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

It bothers me to read your posts when you admit to expressing fear over writing and what kind of negative reactions you plan on getting.  If you are beginning writer, I can understand that.  But when you write, you will need to learn how to blow off the insecurities and just write.  What you are experiencing now will not get you anywhere, so be prepared and take baby steps for learning and growth. 

Writing was never meant for those who constantly fear, but the rewards can't compare to any other career.  It is a highly competitive business where a tough outer shell and the ability to bounce back is what will get you through.  If you have a stubborn streak and plenty of ambition, use it.  Write for yourself and put your readers second.  Don't rely on family and friends as critics.  My people like everything I write.  Or so they say because they don't want to hurt my feelings.  I don't count on my husband reading everything I write, either.  As far as I'm concerned, I am open to opinions.  Like my work or hate?  Then please tell me because I can take it.

9. Dr Suleiman Dex profile image60
    Dr Suleiman Dexposted 12 years ago

I have done both research and even some "ghost writing" in the past. At whatever level you want assistance, I'm sure I can help, from providing links to research topics to a synopsis with references. Let me know. 'DeX'

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I am surprised how prescriptive people are being on this thread about what a person should feel. I have published a textbook and 5 novels and I am just as insecure as ever about it and prefer to use anonymous critique sites. You don't have to have a certain temperament or set of emotions to be an author.  You just have to write, edit and submit to publishers.

11. Sarahredhead profile image82
    Sarahredheadposted 12 years ago

I have been writing and publishing for years - go with your heart, your gut, then follow up with critique and then an objective reader! And when I need help or a boost, I go here (of course) and to Agent Query (www.agentquery.com). Don't give up, keep writing and have FUN! You're already WAY ahead of the pack!

12. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I have realised that when it comes to creating something in writing or in paint the best course of action is not to offer it up to friends or family to critique. They cannot be as objective as other writers or readers, simply because they know you already and that influences their opinions.

I would say write for yourself, share it here or elsewhere for feedback and comments (but not your 'one day great novel', keep that off line in case you want to publish it one day). Gain confidence and courage by writing under a 'pen-name'/profile name.

Mostly enjoy writing and good-luck for here and with the writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)