What is the significance of being indexed or deindexed by Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 12 years ago

I created a Hub Question about this just a few minutes ago and was surprised to get so many responses so quickly.

I think this question is on a lot of people's minds.

Who can lend insight into what Google indexing / deindexing means, especially in this time of change where individual accounts on HP have been turned into subdomains?

For example, one of my most trafficked Hubs (traffic coming almost exclusively from Google), even post-Panda, is now showing up as deindexed after I made the domain name switch. What does this mean?

1. thisisoli profile image68
      thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

De-indexed means that Google has no cached version of your page, it won't appear in search results.

Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What does a "cached version" mean?

1. thisisoli profile image68
          thisisoliposted 12 years agoin reply to this

By each search result in Google you will see the word Cached.  That is the record Google holds of that particular web address.

After three years of a Hub's existence, where almost all of its traffic has come from Google, how could it not now be "cached"?

2. Sally's Trove profile image78

Why would Google no longer have a record of that web address that it did have for years?

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a snapshot of your original article as it appeared when the bots last crawled your page. Did you check your hub to see if it's still indexed under hubpages.com?

Obviously, yes. And that's why I'm asking this question.

2. lisabeaman profile image68
      lisabeamanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you moved this to a forum... I saw the original question and wondered what kind of response that was going to get.

I feel like I just got my brain wrapped around the idea of the panda update, but now all this talk of indexing, deindexing, and sub-domains have my head spinning again. I don't have any subdomain yet...at least not that I know of. Is that good? bad? Is it coming either way? If so, how will I know?

First, Lisa, you can elect to change your account to the new subdomain structure (there are plenty of other forum threads about this that will tell you how to do that) or you can do nothing, and around the end of this month the change will be made for you by HP.

Second, I'm glad I moved this question to the forums, too. Although I'd like to see someone give this question the body and fullness it deserves, as in by writing a useful and informative Hub (which is why I posed the Question), I think that's unlikely to happen.

So let's hang out here and see what happens with others contributing their thoughts and experiences.

1. lisabeaman profile image68

Agreed! And I hope your question gets the hub you're looking for. Thanks!

Me too! It would be good for all of us.

3. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

how do I know if individual hubs are indexed or not?

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do a search for: site:baileybear.hubpages.com (or whatever your new subdomain is)   Any of your hubs that have the word "cached" after the URL is indexed.

Alternatively, you can search for the individual URL and looked for the "cached".

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Yesterday when I checked, my articles that showed up with the new subdomain address had "cached" next to them.  The same articles today do not.  What's the story on that?

Also, the results number that it showed seemed to indicate (today) that all of my articles has been indexed, but the list only showed half of them.

Would either of these oddities relate (as the cause) to the fact that my traffic numbers are not as great today as they were yesterday?

That's exactly what inquiry I'm after, Aficionada. What the hell does this mean?

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So are your numbers off somewhat today too?  I wasn't too happy about mine (today), except that Adsense was way up for me.  I wondered if the stats were stuck.  I haven't checked Analytics yet, though.

I never look at my HP stats day to day...I don't have that much volume that it matters to me, although some Hubbers do / did, because this is a money-making or networking opportunity for them.

My numbers have been off since February 23. Where I had up to 500 views per day, I am now down to 100 or less, maybe now on a good day up to 150. AdSense has been pitiful since 2/23.

I'm looking for the meaning of Google indexing. It just boggles my mind that a Hub of mine for two years brought in almost only Google traffic, and now, after the HP subdomain change, is not even indexed. I just don't understand this.

2. Aficionada profile image80

Red-faced here.... sorry about that.

I'm not very much accustomed to using Google.  I normally use Yahoo! or Bing.  So, when I checked before writing the above post I didn't recognize the Google method of announcing caching!  I only had to hover the cursor over the magnifying glass, and it opened a box that did identify the article as being cached.

Whew!  Now, if I could just find those other articles of mine!  Where did they go?

3. Aficionada profile image80

Analytics wasn't stellar or abysmal either.  I think the stats in My Account may be temporarily stuck.  The graph of stats on My Profile doesn't match with the numbers.  I hope the graph is correct!

I'm not sure that looking at our individual stats is going to answer this question, although I think doing so will contribute to the answer.

So I'm back to the original question...what does it mean to be not indexed by Google?

1. Aficionada profile image80

As I understand it, it means that Google doesn't know the article exists.  Even though we get millions of hits of results when we run searches (on any topic), there are many more that exist somewhere on the web that Google doesn't include in its index for various reasons. And since they are not indexed, they would not show up in any search results, although someone who knows their address could just go straight to them. 

I think that any Hubs that have been deindexed because of the subdomain change should actually be reindexed soon.  I certainly hope so!!!  yikes

I hope so, too.

2. agvulpes profile image85
        agvulpesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sally before a webpage is 'cached' it is first 'indexed' by Google, which means that Google have found it.
        After a period of time Google then put the article into a 'bin' (for want of a better term)with a 'snapshot', to enable searchers to find the webpage quicker. This is the actual page that searchers find not the 'live' one that you may have just edited.
        As I have read somewhere in the Forums the Powers that Be say it may take a few? days for our new 'sub-domains' to all be re-indexed and then re-cached.
        I also believe that the 'old' urls are being redirected to the new addresses that we have all been given. I hope so smile We can only trust HP on this one?
        As someone famous once said 'it may not happen over night but it will happen. Cheers smile

4. Aficionada profile image80

The quick response to How to do it? = go to My Account; find and click on the Profile tab (top, nearly left); at the bottom of the list is "subdomains."  Click on that and it will walk you through the process. 

You will probably need to answer some security questions, so have those handy (or be prepared to give some answers if you haven't done so already).

Or, you can wait another week or two and it will be done for you, as Sally's Trove said.

1. lisabeaman profile image68

Thanks! I'll check into that. I suppose it's better to do it myself now than to have them do it for me later, right?

5. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Your address changed - it may take a few days for the postal service to recognize your change of address request

I do hope that's all it is. Yours is a helpful analogy. It does take a while for my local PO to catch up with my changes...like maybe a day or two. They're really good about this.

2. lisabeaman profile image68

Leave it to sunforged to take a complicated question and put the answer in plain english. That's why he's my hp hero!

3. Fiction Teller profile image60
      Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

Sally's Trove, I'm not sure what to say.  With all due respect, I don't think you and I are having the same conversation, and I'm getting more confused with each post.  I do get that I offended you, so I removed my contributions and shall now slink away back to the land of the lurkers. sad

FT, I agree that we were not having the same conversation. No offense taken, and if I offended you, it was not intentional. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)