Falling in Love

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (36 posts)
  1. your cybersister profile image60
    your cybersisterposted 12 years ago

Do people actually have control over who they fall in love with or does falling in love just happen to them?

1. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

few person have nature of like this, but its now common every one showing that he is fall in love tongue actually he is not

2. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's a combination. There are levels of deep connection that you either have or you don't. But if you choose to focus your attention on good, kind, decent people who share your values, and give it some time, you can *find* that deep connection there surprisingly often.

3. Mamadrama profile image59
      Mamadramaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always thought it was more of something we could control. I always wanted to believe that love would find me, but I thought for a while that I was the one that would seek it out. My first marriage failed because I was not in love with my husband. I loved him, he was a great friend and we did so much together.. however, something was lacking. I thought that settling, overlooking a lot of your differences was a part of spending your life with someone. After I got divorced and went back in the dating world, I was scared. I was out of my element. I tried a dating site just to see who I would be matched with, if I was close to who I thought I would pick. A wonderful man contacted me and we got along very well. When we met in person I did not think that he was the one for me. He was a complete opposite to me. He is a police officer and has conservative views, I am more of free spirit. He was shorter and skinny, I am curvy and always dating bigger guys. When things started to really move for us, I broke up with him because I thought that we were just too different. This is where love found me. On my door step one afternoon after work was a hand written letter, with pictures attached. The later stated that he knows, as I do what it feels like to be in a loveless marriage and for the first time in his life he felt alive. He put in pics of various stages of his life and told me that he wants me to be in the pictures of his future. I realized that I was scared because I was feeling something I never felt before.. TRUE love. I am glad I did not walk away. I learned to trust my feelings and go fourth. We are happily married and together we have 5 children. I couldn't be more happy in my life. It feels surreal sometimes.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
        schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow, that's amazing

4. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont think there is a choice in the matter. I somehow failed to marry all five women I was engaged to but the one woman who I ever felt immediately attached to could sit in my lap right now and she would OWN me.

5. LucyHannah profile image60
      LucyHannahposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I think we have no control over who we fall in love with, hence why some people end up falling for their boyfriend/girlfriends sister or best friend! It's sad indeed but it cannot be done intentionally in my opinion, if you start to have strong sensations for someone it won't o away until you do something about it smile

6. carolp profile image78
      carolpposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Love happens any time, somewhere. Your mind can control your heart, not the heart itself.

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Seems to me both. You can fall in love with someone who fits your ideals, more of a psychological love affair. And it can just happen, something about the personality and energy of the person, even though they don't match one's ideal profile.

1. curiousx profile image61
      curiousxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with this answer. It varies from person to person. For some it is both and for others, it is one of those.

3. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I think there's an initial infatuation stage in any love affair, that we would refer to as "falling in love."  This changes over time, but if we truly love the person, we continue on with the "affair," and it becomes much more.  BUT, I also believe that there are things and characteristics that we desire in our life partner, and that when we meet the person who possesses those, we tend to love them immediately.  I wouldn't call this falling in love necessarily.  Like with my husband, I would call it recognizing the love of my life without question.

smile

1. allycat33 profile image61
      allycat33posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depending on the people and if there is a spark as I call it that helps them fall in love. For some they may have to over come being shy for the first time and for some they may know right off the bat whether or no this person is the one.
      I would not rush moving in with each other right away because you my find that this person is not right for you at all. Give it time and if God wants you to be together he'll give the sign that he does.

2. 4tune profile image60
      4tuneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love your answers Motown2Chitown Your so right on with it.  :  )

4. Jade89 profile image79
    Jade89posted 12 years ago

I believe that anyone can fall in love with anyone BUT we subconsciously restrict ourselves to falling in love with certain people because of whom or what they are. We give ourselves income brackets we'd like the person to falling or physical features we'd like them to have or even education backgrounds. This can be seen in the fact that you may be interested in someone you meet but as soon as they mention they're a drop out or broke or something you don't want to hear, you immediately switch of and you can slowly feel the attraction or "chemistry" disappearing.

5. pajamazzon profile image60
    pajamazzonposted 12 years ago

we can't, its basic human reaction

6. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

From my own personal experience, and by my age, I've had plenty, I feel that even though you are attracted to someone,you are still able to control the trip down Lover's Lane early in the game. If the person you are attracted to is say, physically violent, is a liar, etc., you certainly don't want to continue as you have, making yourself vulnerable to actually falling in love.  That's where you pull back and have a little talk with yourself, knowing that you are headed for big trouble if you get any deeper.  You may or will be still attracted to that person, maybe even more so, knowing that they are not good for you, but too bad. Be smart now, or sorry later...................Walk away, one foot in front of the other.  Don't look back.  Instead, look at them at Facebook where it's nice and safe, until you find yourself attracted to someone else who won't make you suffer. (:

7. puddingicecream profile image68
    puddingicecreamposted 12 years ago

I feel like I'm in control of falling in love.

8. knolyourself profile image60

I am in control. When I don't see her I don't have to be in love with her. When I see her I am in love again.

9. OutWest profile image58
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

You may not have control over who you fall in love with but you certainly do over the relationship.

10. nycgrl profile image61
    nycgrlposted 12 years ago

Trust me I wish we did have control but the heart seems to want what the heart seems to want. However, I do feel we have complete control over whether or not to stick around in a bad relationship. It's not love if you are being hurt whether physically or emotionally.

11. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

What if you fall in love with a wrong guy?

12. knolyourself profile image60

"What if you fall in love with a wrong guy?"
    Got to learn how to fall out of love and quick.

13. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I know for a fact falling in love just happens. The day after my first date with my husband, I told a friend that this was completely different from anything I'd ever known before. My husband told me the same thing on our next date. We've been inseparable ever since. Which is odd for me, I was never the type for attachments; until we met.

14. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

It took me 20 years to fall out of my love. No more, please,destiny, no more...

15. indigo blue ideas profile image67
    indigo blue ideasposted 12 years ago

It just happens. You just have to learn how to control that. I find that inevitable if you don't have conversations with this person. Better to be involve in many activities, rather than be focused in one person.

16. profile image0
    Longhunterposted 12 years ago

After a twenty year marriage went bust and ended in divorce, I honestly didn't think I would ever find love or get remarried. I never said "never" but I wasn't looking either.

I took my new wife out on our first date with the intention of showing her how a gentleman was suppose to treat a lady. She'd had some real losers in her life. The last one was a moron that walked out on her and their son when he was 4-Months old. I didn't think we'd have too much in common or that she'd be interested in a long-term relationship due to our age difference. I was wrong on both points. We were married about 18 months later.

I wasn't looking for love but it found me. I got lucky.

17. Mavhe Quijada profile image60
    Mavhe Quijadaposted 12 years ago

For me, it is something we have no control over. Falling in love is not something we decide, it is something we feel with or without reason... Now, what can we control? It's our perspective towards what we feel. Example, when you fall in love in with a friend, you can't do a thing to deny it to yourself. But, you can still decide if you are going to make your friendship to the next level or give value to your friendship by staying the same way. Love for your friend is in your heart. The decision of making it real is in your mind. That's the difference.

18. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

I was reading this and I wondered, "where do the codependents and alcoholics fit in here?"
    Some people fall in love with alcoholics if their dad was one, and some feel comfortable and codependents are needy,

so does it mean that all the above should be corrected before dating? What does it mean?

19. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

The only way to control not falling in love with someone is by running away from that person at the point where you start feeling strong emotions towards him/her. If you are able to do it at the right time, then you're in control.

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

interesting. And I've also heard (I believe it's proven by science) that once you start having sex, the chemicals released -esp to women- give you the feeling of closeness and being in love and make it harder for either person to "see straight" so...I guess that's why they say be friends first so you can determine if you really like the person. smile

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've known from experience that good friends don't always roll into good relationships. I say keep your friends FRIENDS and lovers LOVERS.

20. profile image0
    dixie28714posted 12 years ago

true love does not happen overnight & takes work.  Anyone can "like someone" but the real deal may take months or even years.  Lust happens easily, love takes time smile

1. profile image0
      Carliismiles<3posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with dixie 100%.

2. bewhuebner profile image80
      bewhuebnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Make that two of us who agree!

21. Mavhe Quijada profile image60
    Mavhe Quijadaposted 12 years ago

triple agree with dixie! smile

22. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I'm in love with a stripper lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)