Would you volunteer to be one of the first humans to colonize Mars?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (60 posts)
  1. TheWorldNow profile image60
    TheWorldNowposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5213556.jpg
    If people could volunteer to be in the first group of people to colonize Mars would you sign up?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

no because there'd be too many variables to consider.  Plus, we really don't know if mankind will be able to survive on mars or not, as more than likely a lot of people will die trying to colonize it in the beginning.  Then again, it would be interesting to be one of the first people to help colonize it, as it would be such a tremendous feat for mankind everywhere, and the experience would probably be wonderful to explore. 

however, i doubt we'll be colonizing it soon though.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...it depends...can I bring my bike?...if so, sure! why not?...i like change....do i have to have a baby too?...if so, i'm not into it.....

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've heard that you could bring your bike, but that you can't have any babies unless they're Martian babies (and by that, I don't mean, just being a Martian citizen by virtue of having been born there).  From what I understand, they don't want a recreation of the over-population of human beings that has taken place on Earth.  Half-human/half-Martian babies are, of course, not only a-whole-nother thing - I've heard they're particularly good looking (except for the half-green skin, of course).

3. qwark profile image59
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...send "Ahnold!" He'll straighten it out...he's done it b4!

Qwark

4. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely, too many morons on this planet that think the producers should support anyone who wants to be a parasite and live off the hard work of others.
      Besides you could run around naked and not be arrested! smile

1. recommend1 profile image60
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You mean they are going to send all the bankers, civil servants and politicians ?

1. lone77star profile image73
          lone77starposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And mess up another planet? Puhleeeeez! If we need to send the greedies anywhere, why not Mercury? One side hot, one cold, and lots of slick vacuum, so no one can hear them scream.

5. TheWorldNow profile image60
      TheWorldNowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Recently NASA did a poll on their site asking who would volunteer to colonize Mars. In response they got thousands of emails from people asking how they could sign up and what they had to do to qualify. It seems there will never be a shortage of volunteers. I just hope that when the day comes I can make the cut!

6. sarovai profile image73
      sarovaiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no. May be for a trip. smile

7. khareenize profile image57
      khareenizeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I changed my mind, someday, maybe I will.

8. topquark profile image65
      topquarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I'm not a risk-taker.  I like familiar environments and home comforts.  I'd be very interested in following news of the colonisation though.  It would be interesting to have a job organising aspects of the colonisation from Earth.

9. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes please send me there now, I want to leave Earth.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

No!

There is too much work that needs to be done on this planet, before humankind can even think about populating another. hmm

How do those correlate?

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It would ignorant to try populating another planet, when we have problems with populating the one we are already living on.

Like I said, there are too many problems on this planet, which would need to be addressed, so populating other planets can be achieved much easier.

Fair enough. I can respect that, even if I desagree.

2. lone77star profile image73

I tend to think that humanity is not mature enough to take on another planet. Look what happened to the "New World" (America).

But still, it's nice to "what-if" about terraforming and colonizing Mars, and perhaps even Venus (a much tougher nut to crack).

Technologically, we're still in our infancy regarding such things. But our technology is far ahead of our moral(?) or ethical(?) maturity.

I love America, but sometimes this "land of the free, home of the brave" does things because it can, rather than because they should be done. The UN may be a "drag" for some politicians who feel held back, but such democratization could help keep all of us safer, even from the country to which some of us feel so attached. One nation claiming Mars (an illegal move by UN writ) would create a scenario for all kinds of potential abuse. Think "gulag." A new "Siberia" to the leading world power who gets there, first.

For now, I like the idea of colonizing Mars, but only in my science fiction.

3. khareenize profile image57
    khareenizeposted 12 years ago

I think not, I still love the Earth and want to stay here until I die....

4. yreformer profile image60
    yreformerposted 12 years ago

may be

5. KRYONpop profile image60
    KRYONpopposted 12 years ago

Why not?It's awesome to one of the firsts! tongue

6. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 12 years ago

If my husband could colonize with me sure, thats assuming that everything is in place to begin to colonize Mars.

What I mean is if there were living facilities already established. And things put in place to make living tolerable as well as manageable.

Like oxygen, food, etc.

Sure I'd do it there sure is nothing to stay here on earth for.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi diane!

1. Diane Inside profile image72
        Diane Insideposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi whats up?

2. TheWorldNow profile image60

Life would probably be rough, but it will be physically possible, at least that was my thought when I started the thread. I guess I should have specified.

7. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I would leap at the chance - as long as I could take my missus with me, and they have cold beer and ice cream.

What about oxygen? Without that, I don't think you'd enjoy that beer or cone.

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I've been under the impression I've been living on Mars for years.  (Oh wait - no.  Someone just told me the bizarre and disturbingly weird planet-ful of aliens where I live is called, "Massachusetts".)

Hmmm.  Maybe Mars would be better than this.  Maybe I should look into how to get tickets for the next shuttle out.

Massachusetts isn't too bad! Then again I've only visited!

2. Jawanza profile image61
      Jawanzaposted 12 years ago

I would, with a few circumstantial variables in place. First, my mother, who I love too much to leave, would have to come or be dead. I would have to have no children of my own assuming they would chose not to come. So, assuming I do go, I would be proud to go and represent all of humanity on another planet. I think it is integral that some people take this leap of faith into a what is thickly unknown. I want to go, I wish I could sign up a seat on the ship there tomorrow.

I would sign up for a seat tomorrow too if I could!

3. lone77star profile image73
      lone77starposted 12 years ago

Interesting idea, but I think each traveler would have to B.Y.O.O. (bring your own oxygen)!

With the current technology, I think not. I would volunteer for the round trip, but I think I'd hold out for the next quantum leap or two in technology before colonizing Mars -- gate technology, or elemental tractors (for beefing up the atmosphere and hydrosphere), and warp drive (inertial shielding and FTL [faster-than-light] transport of raw materials). The atmosphere would be a cinch, but the oceans would take several magnitudes longer. Look out for lots of dust storms until the oceans were in place, and probably until a large area of biosphere was in place.

Ever thought about the underground caverns where there may already be life? I wrote my last hub about it and was surprised while researching it that that is where there is running liquid water and the possibility of some form of life. So we could live underground?

One thing about living underground: you're using the materials at hand, and all that rock could be good shielding for the smaller meteors and from solar storms.

If there's life in the caverns, I wouldn't want to catch some incurable disease! wink

Perhaps such life doesn't even have DNA, but it can still pump out toxins and consume bodily resources. That's one of the major worries about interplanetary or interstellar travel. Other life might just find you to be a yummy snack, even if it is only a microbe.

4. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 12 years ago

Of course everyone is assuming that the US or the UN will boldy go  . . . . but the last shuttle trip is next week or so, and the Chinese are planning Mars probe landings in preparation for an actual visit.  I don't recall seeing much about it in the media either, but it hs been in the news here for some time and seems to be an ongoing mission.

Really? Has it been?
        But teah I'm afraid the US and UN don't have it on their priority list, which is unfortunate. Maybe it will take the Chinese getting a head start to spark a race for Mars.

5. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

I certainly would - as long as they have real coffee and I can take my husband with me.

6. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Yes. Please tell me where to sign up.

7. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years ago

No need. Humankind, most probably, would be extinct, before we could make mars(for that matter any planet), habitable.

That's the fear, but they have new data that suggests that Mars may be habitable underground, so that could help us from having to terraform the planet or anything

8. marymootoo profile image61
      marymootooposted 12 years ago

Yes I would but there would be some people I would need to take with me, people who have had a lot of experience in colonizing a new land, people who would know how to push the frontiers and settle in hard landscapes. I there for suggest that we learn from the lessons of the past and make sure the first lot are sent are convicts and preist that seemed to work 300 years ago in the americas then closely followed by the Irish and the Italians, if for nothing else these people know how to enjoy themselves. so thinking about it I'll think I'll settle for the 2nd wave once the pizza parlous and Irish pubs have been set up.

9. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
      R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

I would because as a pioneer I'm bound to get a statue in my likeness! Sweeeet!

One of the founding fathers of Mars? That would be so cool!

10. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Depends on our diplomacy with the Anunnaki?
      smile

11. spookyfox profile image60
      spookyfoxposted 12 years ago

I think I'd go even if it meant dying there. With the argument that we have too much trouble here on Earth we achieve nothing. It's not either/or and I think with that mindset we wouldn't have lots of things that were discovered to have effects and benefits in areas and situations in which they were not originally considered for.

I agree. There is no achievement without risk. No one would have come to America if they weren't willing to risk everything, even their own life to get there.

2. lone77star profile image73

SpookyFox, good points. The "unreasonableness" in doing something seemingly impossible is what built civilization and was responsible for many breakthroughs, like Yager's faster than sound flight, or Edison's incandescent light.

Still, I'd like to have a little more going for me than the ultra slim margins that would exist with our current technological base. With frontier America, they at least had the ability to go for a stroll in the moonlight without fear of,
        * running out of oxygen
        * breaking your helmet from a simple fall
        * getting hit by a small meteor
        * freezing to death in the frigid Martian night
        * getting lost in a month-long dust storm

And rescue? Months away, if it's within the budget! Politicians could really burst that bubble in a hurry.

Great risk is one thing, but "great risk" cubed is a completely different dimension of risk.

I've dreamed of going to Mars since the late '50's. I'd still jump at the chance (if my wife would go with me). But colonize is several magnitudes more risk than I'm willing to take, unless I see a pretty convincing plan to make such a colony extensible.

Almost no atmosphere, almost no water, no magnetic field, nearly dead tectonics, pervasive dust, agonizing cold, and no way to improve most of these conditions on an ever-growing scale. Unless... you have a technology that runs circles around our Newtonian reliance on action-reaction rockets. Warp drive anyone?

Well that's why it would require multiple Manned Missions to Mars first so they can set up artificial habitats until it becomes possible to live underground (which is where it is thought life can be and maybe even already is sustained)

3. profile image0
        lovazaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In response to Spookyfox's comment, I feel that is a pessimistic outlook about the planet Earth.  There are a lot of beautiful things here and we have water and air to sustain life.  I highly doubt that Mars would truly be as beneficial for me to live there.

12. Jonathan Janco profile image60
      Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Mars?! Seriously, Mars?!

Am I back in the 50's Ray Bradbury?

Mars?

Now that's small potatoes. Really, REALLY small potatoes!

Both Voyagers and both Pioneers have just about exited the solar system altogether and . . . Mars?

13. muscledouble profile image59
      muscledoubleposted 12 years ago

Nope. Not today or in the near future. I'm contented with earth for now. ^_^

14. AliceApocalypse profile image66
      AliceApocalypseposted 12 years ago

Absolutely.  We have so much to learn and discover about this amazing galaxy we live in, it would be an honor to be chosen for such a journey.  I know my daughter would go too, but my husband well that would take some convincing!

I agree completely with this sentiment, though it would be trouble convincing my Fiance to come along!

15. Stacie L profile image89
      Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

I'd only leave Earth if it were about to blow up or be destroyed by a giant meteor!

16. KissTheRain profile image58
      KissTheRainposted 12 years ago

No, thank you. (: Even though I sometimes dislike living here, life anywhere else would be worse.

17. profile image0
      jomineposted 12 years ago

I would say, Its only dreams, and dreams are all we have.....

18. profile image0
      Binaya.Ghimireposted 12 years ago

Its a hypothetical question at least for our generation. Let me answer this question with hypothetical answer: I will volunteer to colonize Jupiter.

But is it a hypothetical question? I asked this question in the forums to help me sort out my own ideas and see whether people would be interested in such a thing.
        This is what I found and believe:
        http://theworldnow.hubpages.com/hub/Mars-is-the-Answer

19. Spacekid profile image61
      Spacekidposted 12 years ago

live off the smell of sulfuric fart? no thanks, but other than that i might volunteer, i've always wanted to see what it's like to physically be in space.

1. kmackey32 profile image62
        kmackey32posted 12 years ago

No way....lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)