It looks like CAPTAIN PLANET is being turned into a live action movie

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Well it's official....Hollywood has lost it's damn mind with all these superhero movies.  Don't get me wrong, I love the genre, but enough is enough.  Seriously, do we need to see every damn superhero get a live action movie?  Sure, I can understand giving Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, x-men, and etc their own movies, as their stories are interesting enough to garner an audience.

But when you're reaching for lame stories like Luke Cage, Steel and now....CAPTAIN PLANET..well..now you're just being f***ing ridiculous.  Captain Planet wasn't even that remotely popular when it was around back in the day.  Sure, it had a decent run, and it generated moderate success due to it's eco-friendly non offensive marketability.  Now, it has a instant recognition factor too, since it was around with moderate success.  However, it didn't really have much of a strong fan base to where you'll see jerks at comic con saying..."BRING BACK CAPTAIN PLANET!!" Yea, anyone who says that needs to get their head examined, as Captain Planet is not an interesting character.  And quite frankly if I was a super villain, I WOULD just surround my hideout with piles and piles of garbage (since we know that's his weakness), then hire a bunch of mercenaries to shoot and kill the kids wearing the rings in their freaking sleep.  No offense.

Anyways, here's the link to know more:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/artic … anet-movie

Since the article did say it's being made by Cartoon Network, I think it'll probably be a made for tv movie versus a big screen one.  However even then, this shouldn't even see the light of day.

1. profile image0
      Helen Bolamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree.  I think Hollywood is having a drought in really good scripts, so its scraping the barrel.  The amount of remakes, sequels that come out each year appears to be growing.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that too.  What's even worse is they're starting use board games again for ideas, as I know a "battleship" film is coming out next year.

1. profile image0
          Helen Bolamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting, board games too.  I know the "Resident Evil" series comes from a game.  I have read articles about the lack of scripts they appear to be getting.  Remakes such as "The Birds" and "Suspiria" which sound interesting but why remake a masterpiece?   Superhero movies provide the perfect selling platform with toys and anything else they can of.  But just how far will they go, and how far can they go with the market for superhero movies?

1. profile image0

Well, i tend to ask that same question myself. I tend to agree with most critics that I wouldn't be the least bit surprised that superhero movies start to die out after 2012.  Like Westerns used to be, it seems like Hollywood is flooding the market with too many super hero films.  At the rate we're going, I can definitely see the superhero genre go down hill after 2012.  Don't get me wrong, it's never going to go away, but I think the decline and frequency in sales for superhero movies will start to show up soon.  Hell, it's already starting this year, as I know "X-Men First Class", "Thor", and "Green Lantern" only opened with a opening weekend around 50 million.  Granted, that's still a lot of money, and they each ranked in the top five of their respected opening weekends.  However, it's relatively low when comparing it to superhero movies of the past like "The Dark Knight", "Iron Man" and "Spider-Man" to name a few. 

Granted, one can point towards the economy as being the suspect of this case, or the sudden increase in movie piracy online.  However, it'll be interesting to see if the same results happen next year...

2. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

I agree kill this fkn movie no captain faggot I mean planet (here comes the attacks of the closed minded and tooo serious lol) on the big screen

1. profile image0

Yeah, I agree. What really surprises me is that some of the people that worked on the live action "Transformers" movies are the same people wanting to do a live action "Captain Planet" movie.  Seriously, why Captain Planet?  Oh well. Something tells me the only reason they're probably doing this is because they're trying to appease all the damn environmentalists.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59

good point, the same people that keep us away from millions of barrels of oil in alaska!

1. profile image0

Yeah that's true. but for some reason, they don't mind us hording oil from other countries; just as long as it's not ours. roll  Personally, i think this is another reason why our economy is suffering too. If these environmentalist didn't get in our way of tapping into some of the resources we already have, then we wouldn't even need Iraq or any of the middle eastern countries' oil supply.  We could just easily say screw them, then save millions of dollars by not having to go through them to begin with.

4. optimus grimlock profile image59

there was a famous general that said "there are no casualties in war"

1. profile image0

okay. well i don't know how that applies to this thread, but you do make a good point grimlock.  lol.

1. optimus grimlock profile image59
        optimus grimlockposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the envirmentalist I was talking about.

1. profile image0

oh okay.  i gotcha.  lol.

5. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Captain Planet is awesome.

If they do it like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles it could be great. If they do it like the recent Smurfs or Chipmunks movies .. then it will blow

i peeked at the captain planet wiki - ted turner is actually credited with the concept - odd but fun fact

1. profile image0

That's good to know Sunforged, as I didn't know Ted Turner was credited for the concept of Captain Planet. Thanks for sharing that with us. smile

Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this matter, as you see some potential in the character that I'm obviously missing here.  However, to each their own is what I always say when it comes to movies. Personally, I just don't see it, as "Captain Planet" was never really that popular even when the show was still on the air.  Sure, it won a few Emmy Awards but like the Oscars, those awards can sometimes be political, and it doesn't often reflect the overall popularity of said show.

6. profile image0

To all you captain planet lovers out there. here's an interesting blog that i found that points out everything lame about the character. wink 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/H … Planeteers

Enjoy! big_smile

7. profile image0

here's a funny youtube video review of captain planet. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k28cNp39 … r_embedded

8. optimus grimlock profile image59

he hit the nail on the head!!!

9. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

Wasn't Captain Planet created by Ted Turner? I remember one of the characters had the power of "heart". How lame is that? He used the power to make people more compassionate and (for some unknown reason) to communicate with animals.

1. profile image0

to be honest, i never understood why that South American kid with the heart ring never just ordered the animals to attack the villains.  That would've been cool to see in a cartoon.  Then again, I guess when you base a superhero show off a psa message, you don't want it to be too overly violent.

10. Nickalooch profile image59
    Nickaloochposted 12 years ago

your right that hollywood is scraping at the bottom of the barrel like the trailer of Battleship looked awful. I can't believe they even got decent actors and director Peter Berg attached to it. I thought Berg was up and coming with movies like Friday Night Lights, The Kingdom and Hancock and he has disappeared ever since. so he comes back with Battleship? yuck

As far as Captain Planet goes, why not just do a better DBZ movie? why not just do a Power Rangers film? why not make a movie on my life and all the crap i watched when i was young?

I also saw that they are remaking Straw Dogs, which looks awful by the way. I may say that mostly because i think Kate Bosworth and James Marsden are awful actors. Before the original starred Dustin Hoffman. Need I say more

You can say that Hollywood is scraping at the bottom of the barrel but it is also partially perception. There are still original films, but few and far between. They sadly don't get as much attention as the big high production films that rely heavily on special features rather than an air-tight script.

11. Midasfx profile image67
    Midasfxposted 12 years ago

I almost shit my pants when someone told me about a new movie called  >>>   "Cowboys and Aliens " 

~Directed by Jon Favreau. With Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, Olivia Wilde, Abigail Spencer.~

I never thought I would see the day....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)