Obesity and The Blue

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image59
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

"While depression will affect more than 16 percent of Canadian women at some point in their lives (at a rate of 1.5 times that of men.) Researchers have observed that those who are obese are more likely to become depressed, and those who are depressed are more likely to become obese."

To what degree do you think there is a necessary cause-effect relationship between depression and obesity? And to what degree this relationship is different between men and women? Why?

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

If the ideal is the skinny model, and all media enforces this - to sell of course, it might naturally make those depressed, who
    take such things seriously. If I am already fat and depressed may as well eat. What else is their for me? Or I'll show them. Think you've seen fat? Standards that people cannot conform to, often lead to bad ends.

3. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

It is as much a cause as you allow it to be. If you are self-conscious, then probrably alot, if not self-conscious, then not a lot. I think your entire life situation plays a larger role and probrably some family history, genetics, among other factors, abuse, alchoholism drug abuse, neglect, in your family and your life, etc.

4. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

I think there are links between the two.  Because of the impossible image society portrays as the natural body shape, women, and men can become depressed if they feel they fail to live up to the ideal.  Also, depression can lead to overeating, because people are trying to fill the emptiness by turning to food.  Plus, antidepressants can cause people put on a lot of weight.  I have been taking them for years, and have noticed myself gaining a lot of weight.

5. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I think many people eat as a remedy for depression, which may be a key factor and also fail to get proper exercise because they dwell on the pain. I think obesity may cause depression because people get down on themselves for not being a certain weight.

To honest though, I think depression is just something everyone deals with so I would say it's closer to 100% than to 16%, it's just that some people deal with it more severely than others.

6. fucsia profile image60
    fucsiaposted 12 years ago

I think that a healthy nutrition and an active life are very important to keep the mood high. These simple thing help us to cope with problems, to overcome stress, to increase the natural endorphines. Those who are obese usually do not make sports and are obese because eat wrong.
    Then we can add also the reasons linked to the beauty, adolescent problems related to obesity, the difficult acceptance of themselves.

7. recommend1 profile image61
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I think they come from different places because all the many obese people I have met (I ran a bar for 3 years) seemed to be compensating for being unloved, or feeling unloved.  A bar of chocolate will never let you down will it.  Depression seems to be mainle clinical in that the same people could be depressed when things were going well or going badly in the same degree.

8. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I don't really think the "food-as-love" thing is as big a problem as many people think it is.  I don't doubt there are people who eat for the wrong reasons (with that one being one of them), but I think, for a lot of depressed/unhappy people who eat the wrong stuff, it's more often something simpler than that.

People who are depressed/stressed (and being depressed is stressful, and maybe sometimes even caused by stress), the body's stress-response system can cause cravings for high-fat or high-carb foods.  (I did the research for a Hub on this).  People can feel like they can't function (physically or mentally) if they don't eat when they're craving.  Besides cravings, though, people feel tired and often eat to get enough of an energy boost to keep going (often because they have responsibility and don't have the luxury of not "keeping going"), or else they may eat to calm down if they're anxious and frazzled (high-fat foods/drinks are calming).

Based only a lot of people I've seen gain weight (and often lose it again), I think weight gain is very often a sign that the person is unhappy/depressed.  Then, though, they get even more unhappy because they've gained weight (but maybe "unhappy" in a different way, or else separate way).

I don't have statistics, but my guess would be that most weight gain (in people who otherwise never had a weight problem) starts with a person's being stressed or unhappy, and only gets to be a more complicated "depression" and weight problem from there.  hmm

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...i don't know what the degree is...but i do know that docs hand out drugs too frequently to both sexes....got a problem? here's a drug (situational depression) - most anti-depressants cause weight gain and many times the wrong one is provided and for long periods of time....i don't believe many docs take the appropriate steps to help the patient - it's easier to prescribe...and the drug co's are happy...docs move the patients along and make their money; people are dazed...and the drugs screw up their system.   

It'd be interesting to look at the number of people in N.A. that have been diagnosed as depressed, for how long, the increase in drug sales/or the dollars made and over the last 30 years and if possible, compare it to obesity rates.

...the folks who really need the prescriptions to help are faced to figure out what works and what doesn't when they are not in a good position to know - when they are truly depressed.

10. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 12 years ago

women are more depressed than men when they are obese.
    Fact:  80% of bariatric surgery procedures are performed on women. Men appear OK with themselves and to the public as a money earner while women need to stay in good shape. Discrimination in employment displays this as well. More overweight guys will be hire than overweight women with all variables being equal. Of course a great personality that shines and a stellar success record will move the odds in one's favor.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)