My first Hub. What do you think?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)
  1. profile image52
    Jim Steelposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5300564.jpg
    The hub's text is full below.

When I decided to write my first Hub-Page on what I believe, I’ll be honest, I drew a blank. It seemed like such a simple question. But it had to be something that I abide by everyday; it had to be something that filled every niche in my life. If it didn’t, it wouldn’t have been an adequate answer, not for this article, and not for myself. I sat awake all night before I actually came up with something good enough to put pen to paper -or well electrons to screen (whatever, you get my point) With a two liter of Mountain Dew and dunkin-donuts I began to write. So, what do I believe? you'll just have to read to find out.

I thought about my dad; when I was a child he tried so hard to provide for our family, and we didn't always have an excess, but what we did have was enough. One day when I was maybe 16 or 17 he came home from work, kicked off his work boots, and peeled his sweat soaked tank-top off. I asked him why he worked so hard when he could get any number of jobs that pay the same for half the work. He laughed and said “Because I enjoy it; it makes me happy,” he said it as if he wondered why anyone would do anything but the thing that makes them happy.

It got me thinking that in order to be happy in life you have to do the thing that is true to yourself. That doesn’t just mean what you do for a living; it means everything from how you dress, to your morals and beliefs. You can be a long-haired hippy who loves to smoke grass, or a clean-cut businessman with never a hair out of place. It doesn’t matter. Too many people go through life with a preconceived notion in their head that they have to do what society expects of them, it is drilled in from birth. Do this, or don’t do that. You need this, or you don’t need that. Eventually many people fall into the role that is expected of them, and that role which is true to themselves falls to the back of their mind and is marked off as the frivolous ruminations of a naive child. I am here to tell you that it is not. Now, I do not want to sound like some happy-go-lucky-so-jolly-you-practically-(or literally)-punch-me-in-the-face-stop-smiling-it-is-unnatural-freak, but I want to tell anyone out there that there is something in life that you are meant for, whether or not you have found out what that is or not is irrelevant; it is not something that can be forced so when the time and place are right you'll know that that is what you are meant for.

i have heard once that it is one of the greatest individual triumphs in life to become happy. And to be happy you have to be true to yourself despite what others think. This is what I believe.

What do you believe? Leave your comment below. smile

Enjoy this paint picture by my daughter. Maybe she will be an artist? Perhaps. smile
    Source: My daughter.

2. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

Jim, I see that you have re-posted in the proper forum, but you have misunderstood what a hub is.

This is not a hub; it is a post in the forums.  To write a hub, press "start a new hub" at the top of the page.  HP will ask for a title, a few other things, and open a text capsule to begin writing in.

Before doing that, though, I suggest you read a few hubs first and get a better understand of just what a hub is.  A magazine-quality article, usually with specific information for the reader. 

You might go to "my account" and then "Hop some Hubs".  It will give you at least some idea of what a hub is.

3. profile image52
    Jim Steelposted 12 years ago

I've seen some hubs that contain only a poem. So how is what I wrote not a hub?

1. 2uesday profile image65
      2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Jim, there have been lots of debates in the forum on just that question and it is not easy to answer.

It is worth reading the FAQ at the top of the page which hides behind the button labelled help. Also the learning centre link at the bottom of the page will give you lots of helpful information about making hubs and what HubPages is about.

When I first joined HubPages it took me a while to biuld up a 'picture' of what a hub was. I think in the end I likend my idea of a HubPage article to being more like the page of a magazine.

You can make Hubs and then publish them later if it helps to gather the info together, mine need usually need photos added so I wait before publishing until I have a layout I like. The start a new Hub button at the top is where you begin to do that.

There are some good hubs written by experienced Hubbers about making Hubs and they are worth reading.

There are an ever changing set of rules about hubs, brought about by changes on how search engines work, now,one is that they should not be considered personal, so blog style is not really what Hubs are intended for. This site is comercial they get revnue from their share of the paid ads, and you also get a share to if you sign up/register for them and fortune smile upon you smile  I hope it does and welcome from someone who was once new here too.
      Sorry the reply is lengthy, it is hard to sum things up in a few words first thing in the morning smile.

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

This is not a hub.. This is a blog.

You could turn it into a hub about "the importance of being true to oneself" if you wanted.

Click on "Start a new hub".

Think of a hub as something you can find in a book store for sale.  A book of poems? check. A magazine article? check. a novel? check. A "how to" book? check. someone's personal blog? Noooooooooo.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)