Do you think that it is too hard to make money from this site?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (38 posts)
  1. breathing profile image47
    breathingposted 12 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5322769_f248.jpg
    I want to know the way of earning money from this site. May be it will help to the others who are wanted to earn money from this site.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this
    2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I believe that RyanKett said that he made three thousand his first year - but you can bet that he worked his tail off, and he also made a lot of that from shetoldme, and other adsense sites.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You may be right, WTS.  But my hubs have earned anywhere from 50 cents to 75 dollars apiece in Adsense this month and I've never worked my tail off on any of them.  And this doesn't count any Amazon sales they may be responsible for. 

No, I don't have a lot of hubs in the $75 per month category, but others do pretty well.  Just saying it isn't necessary to work oneself to death to make money here.  Again, it depends on the hubs themselves.  I don't backlink either other than the FB Twitter thing when I first publish a hub.  smile

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82

Without giving it away - you've got an outstanding niche!  My one hub that does fall into that niche, in a general sort of way - does really well too. . . and it's not half so informative as yours are.

Some people are just keyword chasers - and I hate that shit.  I feel like you and I both just write about the good shit that we know about from life experience.  I don't make much, but I'll just mass produce stuff until I do.

I figure. . .my acoustic guitar authority level has got to be really high with google. . . .because I always do know exactly what I'm talking about. . .as with the hvac stuff. . . I just need to do more of it and improve what I've already got.

It's not so much "hard work" . . .for me it's often FUN FUN FUN!

I have discovered more than 1 niche, WTS.  And am always looking for more which in my case isn't too hard because of the numerous skills I've acquired over the years.  Some I have only a few hubs on but they pay quite well.

Yes, I used to try to use keywords a lot to enhance my chances, and still do to a certain extent, but if an article is written properly the keywords will naturally be there.

It's fun for me too.  smile

2. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

He may or may not have done I don't know. What I do know is that he wrote one hub that had instant universal popularity. He may well have had a few more successes out of his 700+ hubs but they would all have been chasing his first popular hub.

To make money here, all you have to do is write a hub that is unique and that everyone wants to read.

Look for a minimum of 15,000 views a day (on that one hub).

It can be done (I'm told). Still writing away and ever-hopeful of writing THE one.

WHEW!!!  I literally couldn't possibly imagine me getting 15K views in one day.  If I get 1K views total in one day - that's mind boggling enough for where I'm at.

I will keep trying though - all the while knowing that I'm not even trying to be Mr. Popularity.

1. IzzyM profile image85

It is possible, so I'm told, so it's good to aim for it. But it isn't a popularity contest - other hubbers could never send you those views. It's Mr Google, or Sir Google, or your Holy Highness Google that has that power.

Yeah - I don't know how to do it.  I'm afraid it would entail meeting Nosferatu at midnight on some vacant rural crossroads or something!

1. IzzyM profile image85

If it meant meeting Mr Whatshisname at whatever unlikely locale, I'd be there in a shot! If that was all it took, that'd be too easy smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

15,000 views a day?  Wow, at that rate my best hub would earn at least $400 a day on Adsense alone.  smile

1. IzzyM profile image85

if your hub has that kind of potential (and I know you have been telling us you've been doing well recently) you should consider backlinking it to death!
            I have a new hub in the making that tells you the best way to do that. (not black hat or frowned upon).

Can you tell a great difference in the hubs you've "backlinked to death," Izzy?  I mean, does this work for all hubs or just those already getting decent traffic?

I'll check out your hub anyway.  Thanks! smile

1. IzzyM profile image85

I haven't actually backlinked any of my hubs to death. This is something I keep wanting to do, but my basic laziness gets in the way.
                Now that you are following me, you will get notified when I finally publish this hub which at present is till sitting on my hard drive. But you know, don't get excited. Nothing in this life is ever easy.

It's all a mystery still to me.  Apparently in the Misha $100/day days it was all about "man with most back links wins!"

I hate that shit.  I just use the "AddThis" extension and customize it to the sites that I like the most at any given time. . . .and maybe do a few more.

But I'm not making much either - so my advice is . . . .questionable at best.  I AM steadily picking up in earnings though.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

I don't have my email set up to get those notifications anymore, Izzy.  But I'll be looking out for the new hub.

I disagree, this writing stuff seems easy enough, but I don't earn my living from it yet, so it's still fun to me.  I'm dabbling in creative writing at the moment as it has paid dividends in the past.  It's even more fun than this.  smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
                    earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish I felt like that Randy! I am s*it scared of doing what comes easy to you! lol

2. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 12 years ago

HubPages.com created the Learning Center so users can learn all about the different aspects of writing on this web site. I'd suggest starting there. You can't miss the big green "Making Money" link there.

1. profile image57
      therogoddessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

thanks for the idea...

3. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 12 years ago

Your hubs aren't very old to rank well on the search engines. You need some patience.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

It's not fast and it's not easy, especially if you expect to make a couple hundred dollars a month or more.
    It takes actual work, just like a full time job. If you are serious (or desperate) enough you can earn something and it will gradually get better.
    Starting up, takes some time to learn all of the nuances.
    A lot of people started because they had some writings they could share that were not being read by anyone, or because they enjoy writing. Earning a few dollars was a bonus.

1. profile image57
      therogoddessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

omg rochelle you are so right....the money was extra i just love to write...

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If that's the case, you are already a winner. Earning even a small amount of money, and getting comments gives you a sense of value.

Many of my first postings on HubPages were from 'in print' articles that I had written and had already been paid for. Since I still owned the rights, I figured they should be out there earning a couple more dollars while allowing new readers to (hopefully) enjoy them.

1. DonnaCSmith profile image82
          DonnaCSmithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle, I also find Hubpages as a good way to get more mileage out of my writing. Although, I am disappointed at the slowdown, it is still pennies my articles would not be making just sitting in my computer.

5. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

Write, Write, and write some more....

6. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

You can earn money here, but how much money is another matter.
    It depends on what you call money. If you are looking for a grand a week, this would be a lousy use of your time.

If you lived somewhere really poor with a huge exchange rate, you could probably live off the earnings here with high quality hubs. smile
    I checked your profile and you did not say where you live, so I don't know what sort of money you are hoping for, or how long you want to spend here.

It suits me fine, as I am here to learn how to write and don't rely on the income. smile

7. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 12 years ago

It's not hard to make money here if you know what you're doing -- but figuring out what you're doing may take a while if you're completely new to online content creation and marketing wink. I'm going on five years full-time at doing just that, and a couple of years part-time before that -- and I think I'm getting the hang of it now tongue.

In other words, the simple answer is that it takes a lot of work and learning, and figuring out how to reliably market in-demand content is a lot like putting yourself through a college degree. You can make some money on this site alone, but you're never going to get rich by relying on affiliate sales and ad share revenue. This is, however, a great place to hone your skills and start learning HOW to create and implement an effective earnings strategy, of which Hubpages can be a part (in fact, I just wrote a series about advancing your writing career, with a paragraph on the part Hubpages can play in each section).

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Fantastic post wychic! I agree with all of that! smile

9. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

It is almost like a full time job and it takes time for hubs to mature..around 8 months before I was earning a few hundred bucks. Also Panda came along and hurt all of our hubs. tongue

10. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

No one owes us money just for turning up. You have to do the work.

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I've been diving head first into this thing almost full time for at least six months or more.  Am I making at least minimum wage?  HELL NO!!!!

The point of this is INVESTMENT, Sir, these hubs of mine are not meant for instant cash, they are meant to bring increasing and steady returns for years and years to come.  I'm thrilled by the prospect of making money . . .while I am asleep.

12. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Actually, I think it is rather easy for the time I spend writing my hubs.  I will make more money this month than I've ever earned before on HP.  I suppose it depends on what you consider hard work.

It only takes a few hubs to earn a couple of hundred dollars a month here.  Finding the right subject to produce these productive hubs is the hard part.  smile

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

sounds like you've hit the jackpot with your topic choice

13. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 12 years ago

I've been here three months (as fate would have it, I joined right after the so-called Panda Meltdown) and so far my Hubs have earned me a grand total of 54 cents (!) via Google AdSense. At that rate I'll have to be here for another decade before I see any $$ from'em. I've gotten absolutely nothin' via Amazon Associates.

Fortunately, making $$ isn't my main concern here. I just enjoy writing stuff that might be read by other people besides me and my immediate family. big_smile

It's a nice idea in theory that someone will be so moved by my article on, say, MANIAC COP that they'll go right to Amazon and order the DVD based on my recommendation but realistically, how often is that going to happen? Based on my experience thus far, not often.

So in other words, I'm treating HubPages as a place to hone my writing skills and just have fun, rather than a get-rich-quick scheme. Judging from the comments from people who are complaining about not making any money, I'm in the minority.

14. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

It starts slowly here with many taking 8 months to 1 year or more to make payout on Adsense or Amazon.  But it really depends on the person as to how much and how quick the earnings accrue.  Not everyone has the same results, of course.

15. Wayne Tully profile image64
    Wayne Tullyposted 12 years ago

Make money has benefit of money for we and the income can do good for bank. It easy to make money, all need is patent to prove income possible. Hav fath! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)