Weekly Topic Inspiration: Back to School

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

Can you believe it's a new month already? Before we know it, it'll be over and September will be here.  Y'all know what September means.  SCHOOL!!!!

This is why cardelean quite astutely recommended that we have a back to school topic this week!  It's a great topic- and a really fun to write on, too.  I hope it gives you some good ideas!

Here are some keywords to consider including in a title of one of your Hubs on the subject (or to pepper in the Hub's body):  back to school sales, back to school sales, back to school items, back to school supplies, back to school outfits, back to school checklist, back to school list, back to school promotions, back to school printables, back to school activities, back to school clothes shopping, back to school stuff, back to school theme, back to school specials, back to school bags, back to school party, back to school ideas, back to school products, back to school stores, back to school shoes, back to school bulletin board ideas, back to school clothes, back to school style, back to school at 30, back to school themes, back to school decorations, back to school supplies list, kids back to school, back to school worksheets, going back to school, back to school crafts

These keywords popped up after some basic research with the Google Keyword tool, and are ideal in the sense that they have more than 500 but fewer than 50,000 global searches each month. I have not researched each of these competition-wise, so you might want to Google a phrase or potential title before choosing it to make sure you're not covering an exhausted topic in which you don't stand much chance of overtaking the competition.

You can do your own keyword research, too - here's how

If you'd like to join in on this week's topic by writing a Hub, follow these steps:

1)    Click here to visit this week's topic.
    2)    Click the green button "answer this question".
    3)    Click the gray button below the box (leave that empty) that says "make a Hub about it."
    4)    Give your Hub a very specific title, like Easy Summer Gardening Projects for Kids or Challenging Summer Activities for Teens
    5)    Create good quality original content that hasn't been covered before.
    6)    After you publish your Weekly Topic Inspiration Hub, come back to this forum thread and post a link to your Hub with a brief description of what you wrote about and why.

For more information on the Weekly Topic Inspiration program, check out the Learning Center guide.

Thanks for the great topic cardelean! 

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5063877_f260.jpg

1. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great idea! Thanks for choosing a perfect topic Cara and Simone! Can't wait to read all of the fun hubs~

2. Anaydena profile image80
      Anaydenaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny you mentioned this when it's now 4:30 am EST at the time of me replying to this post and I posted my 10th hub around midnight, and despite my husband yelling for me to come to bed because I just wanted to start just one more hub! I'm on my cell phone laying in my bed right now and all I can think about is writing a hub on kids and school! I can't stop thinking about it... I may just give in to my mind's pleading conscious...

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I`ve already posted a short answer to the question regarding school supplies...which I love

3. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

This is designed to help teachers with the first few days of school. An easy back to school activity for teachers to assign; based on "The Earth's Atmosphere" education, students will have fun learning about the topic and then completing the project in class or as a homework assignment!
    http://k9keystrokes.hubpages.com/t/27d215

Looking forward to reading everyone's hubs this week!
    Cheers~
    K9

1. glassvisage profile image83
      glassvisageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Loved this. As someone who had to come up with curriculum myself, I can appreciate all of this information all in one place!

Thank you very much glassvisage! smile

2. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, this one's great!!  Lots of useful information, and I love the table you made, too! I would have really used the heck out of it when I was still taking Historical Geology. So convenient!

4. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I hope to set aside time to write this week. It's that time of year again, already!

Yay! And seriously. Can you BELIEVE it??

5. Danette Watt profile image83
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

definitely a good topic, although hard to believe with the temps outside still hovering in the triple digits (at least where I am!)

Holy shoot... I hope you have air conditioning O_O
      And at least with fall getting closer, you can rest assured that this won't last for long!

6. sagebrush_mama profile image61
    sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

First one of these topic inspiration weeks I've had a chance to participate in.  smile

Writing about school bags and their importance for organization at the middle school level...
    http://sagebrush-mama.hubpages.com/hub/ … -and-Finds

1. sagebrush_mama profile image61
      sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Back to School With Princess School Supplies
      http://sagebrush-mama.hubpages.com/hub/ … l-Supplies

These two are lovely!  I can't believe how fancy these school bags are getting.  You know, there was actually a funny trend at my high school for a while where all the tough guys wore five-year-old backpacks. Pretty strange... these are far better!

2. K9keystrokes profile image83

Impressive insider info in your Back to school bags for middle schoolers! A really helpful hub from someone who has lived the "tween" classroom experience first hand. And those Princess bags in your second hub are a very organized and feminine back to school statement!
      Awesome tips and advice SBM! smile

Oh, thanks for reading and commenting!  Tweens are interesting, sometimes extremely fun, and sometimes terribly frustrating!

LOL! I can only imagine-- I appreciate that your hubs offer some very helpful points on the subject. Honestly, "Tweens" scare the h*ll outta' me!
          tongue

LOL!  Three at once sound scary!  Of course, 30 in a classroom at once can be frightening!

7. manthy profile image60
    manthyposted 12 years ago

Wow this is gonna be so much fun, I had alost forgot that it is time to do the school shopping

1. Denise Handlon profile image84
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile

8. Will Apse profile image86
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

"or to pepper (keywords) in the Hub's body"

Are you sure you want to advise people to pepper a hub with keywords when in another thread, Paul Edmondson is saying that hubs with too much SEO fared worse after Panda than hubs that had a lighter touch?

'One thing we've been able to see a bit is authors that purely concentrate on SEO have been hit harder by Panda'

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79215?page=31

Excellent point, Will Apse!
      That's why it's super important to utilize keywords in moderation. That said, it's important to use words that people actually *use* to search (e.g. nobody is searching for the best "writing implements" for kids this fall, but they are searching for "pens").
      What Paul is referring to in his post were Hubs that take SEO too far. The key is to FIRST create a good article that is genuinely good, and SECOND to make sure that people will be able to find it by making sure it's search-friendly big_smile

9. Dave Powell profile image61
    Dave Powellposted 12 years ago

What timing! I was just finishing a Hub about how (in this age of ever-shrinking educational budgets) we can all help schools do a better job for our students. And I just discovered that this Weekly Topic is about education! So I hustled my bustle to finish the article, which is here:

http://davepowell.hubpages.com/hub/12-C … ncial-Woes

(I think the instructions for responding to this Weekly Topic say that it is OK to add a link to the article in this forum post... though the instructions to the left of the post's actual editing window say it's not OK. I'm a newb here, so please let me know if I violated any rules by doing so in this specific case!)

Sincerely,

Dave Powell

You did the correct thing here Dave, this forum allows (requires) that you post your link here. Looking forward to reading your work! Welcome to the funnest writing place on earth!
      K9

Dave, I just got back from reading your hub; "awesome" is the only proper response! What great information for all schools to consider. Teachers, parents, admin, and community leaders should read and share your hub.
      Nice work.
      Cheers~
      K9

1. Dave Powell profile image61
        Dave Powellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi again K9!
        Thank you so much.... I really appreciate your feedback. And some teachers have already started to respond to it! big_smile
        Cheers-
        Dave

Very cool Dave! I have a feeling the teachers are going to love your hub!

3. Simone Smith profile image88

This is indeed great- and it's wonderful to remind people that there's more than one way to help out!

10. glassvisage profile image83
    glassvisageposted 12 years ago

Well, I took this another way and wrote about going back to GRAD school smile Because I know it was something I struggled with after graduating!
    http://glassvisage.hubpages.com/hub/Goi … -it-for-me
    Great idea for a topic of the week!

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wonderful tips on decidin gif graduate school is for you

2. carol3san profile image61
      carol3sanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Someone must have been reading my mind.  I was just researching something I can write on regarding back to school issues.

3. K9keystrokes profile image83

Very helpful tips that bring with them a lot to think about! Nice work, and thank you for putting it to the page.

4. Simone Smith profile image88

Going back to grad school is a big deal, so I'm really glad you covered the subject!

11. sagebrush_mama profile image61
    sagebrush_mamaposted 12 years ago

Found a fantastic product today! Dry Erase Crayons

http://sagebrush-mama.hubpages.com/hub/ … se-Crayons

Awesome! Thanks for doing every bit of the footwork for us. You should do one of those info-commercials! You really put these Crayola Erase Crayons through the ringer-- I am now a fan of these new fun and useful school tools.
      tongue

THESE. ARE. SO. COOL!!!  I'm glad you wrote about them- I'd never heard of them before!

12. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hello all, just finished. Something different about adults who want to go back to school. I am gonna have to do a part two, hope I can get it done before next week.

here is my link:

http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/Going-B … Hill-Adult

As an "over the hill adult" I found this hub a super interesting read. So often I catch myself wondering about the best way to head back to college to upgrade my degree. Your pointers are very helpful. Thanks!

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks K9keystrokes, I was wondering if my title was offensive. I too am 'over the hill'....lol

I feel I have earned my status as an "over the hill adult!" I giggled when I read the title! wink

Very useful, this is!  I don't think the title is offensive at all either big_smile

13. KiaKitori profile image67
    KiaKitoriposted 12 years ago

http://kiakitori.hubpages.com/hub/Are-b … a-backpack

I have been looking at this subject for a while now, finnaly wrote a hub but....misspeled the url...I got to edit the title but I cannot edit the url. or can I?

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

no the url remains. sorry.

Bummer about the url, I have done that before too. I have even in the past changed a hub title on purpose, knowing the url would not match, and things went just fine-- It is not recommended, but it happens. wink
      I thought the hub was spectacular. Being this is back to school season, I simply had to tweet and FB this hub to my friends (and everyone else). Nice job!

3. Simone Smith profile image88

No worries about the URL- it happens all the time big_smile
      And great Hub!

14. prasetio30 profile image70
    prasetio30posted 12 years ago

This is fasting month in my country. As a teacher I start my lesson with beautiful smile on my face, so my student will follow the lesson with happy too. Although they don't eat anything until evening. I should keep this spirit. Thank you very much.

15. cardelean profile image87
    cardeleanposted 12 years ago

In between visiting with my out of town company, I finally managed to get one done.  Here are some tips on making the transition back to school easier.

http://cardelean.hubpages.com/hub/Tips- … ol-Routine

It's a very smart Hub! Most of my friends always made the adjustment the MORNING OF the first day of school.  Perhaps *that's* why nobody ever spoke up... they were in shock!

I found your table and tips more than helpful here and really easy to read. Anyone heading back to school should read this hub! big_smile

16. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Hey all, I wrote another hub about Diploma Mills. I had an experience about 5 or so years ago when I needed to get my diploma and searched online. I decided to spend quite some time researching these diploma mills, so I thought I would write a hub about Diploma mills.

Here is the link:

http://cardisa.hubpages.com/hub/Going-B … lt-over-35

Excellent Hub... on a rather disturbing subject. O_O

Thank you Simone smile

Yikes! comes to mind when reading this hub. As if getting an education isn't hard enough! These mills make me really angry. hmm Great topic.

Me too K9, I feel the exact same way!

17. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 12 years ago

The Hubs y'all published on this week's topic were really top notch.  I'm so glad cardelean thought of it!

Our new topic for the week is using technology to simplify your life.  I hope you join in again! I'd love to hear how everyone keeps things simple in today's increasingly complex world. smile

18. jwhitman profile image71
    jwhitmanposted 12 years ago

I am a little late on this week's topic- I'm still learning the ropes here at hubpages.  Anyway, I decided to write my hub on backpacks and why it makes sense to invest in a high quality backpack rather than go on the cheap.  In the end it will end up saving you money!
    Here is the link:

http://jwhitman.hubpages.com/hub/Best-B … nt-of-View

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)