Can you explain using the +1 button in simple language?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. K9keystrokes profile image83
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

With the subdomain changes, I am hearing a lot about the "+1" button that can offer a positive impact on readership and/or page rank. Not technically savvy, I am wondering how to use the +1. Can anyone explain in 'VERY simple terms' how to get the +1 operational, implement its function, and mange its advantages?
    Thanks for you help!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first step is to create your Google profile.  There's a section where you can add links to your HubPages profile and your "About Me" page on your website or blog (and any other profiles you have). 

However the second step is to link FROM your profiles and "About Me" pages back to your Google profile using a "rel" code.

HP is working on allowing us to do that on HubPages.  I've read the instructions on how to do it on my website but can't follow it myself, so I'm no help there!

K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks this kind of helps me to grasp the notion. tongue

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is a button that you can use to signal to other people, and Google, that you like something. It works very similarly to the Facebook Like button.

This article, for example, has been +1ed by 10 people at current count:
      http://mashable.com/2011/08/03/beluga-whale-mariachi/

What I can not possibly stress enough, even now before we release it for HubPages, is that you should not get in the pattern of only +1ing your own content (or other HubPages content). Google will know, and will likely discount (penalize?) any self-serving (or reciprocal) +1ing. That goes for any other content off HubPages, too, through the mechanism Marisa described.

Since Google knows your behavior, well, forever, it would be good to start on a good foot and spread those +1s far and wide (meaning on many, many different sites and types of content). If you genuinely like something, feel free to +1 it; if you don't, you shouldn't.

This is something we'll be repeating ad nauseum as we approach the rollout of the +1 button on HubPages, which will happen once we move everyone to their own subdomain. smile

Outstanding information Jason, and thank you. I really appreciate that you stress the over-use of the +1 can cause a NEGATIVE result for HPs and those who abuse its true design. Hard to beat Google in the "what's really going on" department. Very clear and helpful (as always).
        Thank you for your valuable time!
        PS-- Will keep Pepto on hand for "at nauseum" approach. Appreciate the heads-up! tongue

2. bestbuys4business profile image60
    bestbuys4businessposted 12 years ago

You need to setup a Google account (gmail) and your Plus + account within that. Plus 1 is similar to Facebook's 'Like' feature.

When you see a website with a +1 and click on the button you sign in using that Google account and you are registered as 'liking' the page.

A great trick is to do keyword searches for your preferred keywords and 'like' you own site, but don't tell anyone I told you that it is a trade secret smile

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Bestbuy, how do I put the plus button on HP?

Great question!

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You can't. You can only put it on sites you own.  You don't own HP!

wink

1. Cardisa profile image88
            Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OH! I was beginning to think I did...lol...just kidding.

So this plus button is useless when it comes to our hubs then....what a drag!

Bummer...useless would seem to be the word.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Oops, after reading Jason's reply I realize I accidentally went off on a tangent in my reply.

Google released two new features close together:  one was the +1 button and the other was the Google+ "rel=author" feature.  The two are related in a way, and therefore I misread what you were asking, k9!

+1 is a button that can be put on your website - as Jason says, it works like the Facebook Like button.  You add it to your website (but not to HubPages) by pasting some code where you want it to appear. 

http://www.google.com/webmasters/+1/button/

Now here's where I got confused!  There is also a thing called Google+.

If you join Google+, there's a place where you can post links to your profiles on your own websites or on sites like HubPages.  Basically you're letting Google know you're a genuine author.  But to confirm it really is you and you're not just linking to some real author's profile as a scam, there needs to be a reciprocal link on the profile. Which you can't create on HP just yet.

Sorry for the confusion!

You are so smart Marisa; if I had to carry around all of that knowledge you have I would totally tip over!  wink Thank you so much for clearing up any misunderstanding. Great advice on the Google+ tool BTW! Thanks so much for your help! smile

4. R.S. Hutchinson profile image72
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

Do you HAVE to have a gmail account in order to start +1'ing everything? I have like 10 emails already - I don't need another one!!!

1. Nelma profile image61
      Nelmaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hutchinson,
      The "+1" code is available in AdSense page.
      At least for me smile
      Cheers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)