Hubbers clicking on my Adsense ads

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)
  1. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I'm putting this in the sandpit because I think it is better kept from the search engine's eyes. A mod will move it if it's not appropriate here.

On checking my Analtyics accounts, I see that my recent few pathetic Adsense clicks have all come from other hubbers.

Please please please do NOT click on my ads. You are not only risking your own Adsense account, you are risking mine and Hubpages Adsense account too.

With the new subdomains, I know exactly who you are, and so do Hubpages, and so does Google.
    I'm not sure if it is against Hubpages TOS, but it is highly discouraged, and staff have made it clear in the past we are NOT to do it, even if you interested in the ad.

1. dotzbegins1 profile image58
      dotzbegins1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When did you notice this thing ?

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Izzy, I'm glad you've brought this up, because it motivates me to ask about something I have noticed recently - not just here on HP but elsewhere too.  That is, sometimes when I click on my browser's Back button, it doesn't immediately go back to the previous page as expected.  When I click on the arrow next to the Back and Forward buttons, to get a drop-down list of recently visited pages, it lists google ads as some of the visited pages, even though I did not visit them - or at least did not know that I was visiting them.

It seems (underscore that word!) that Google is creating one new way to force us to visit ads, since perhaps people are not clicking on links as much as they used to.  As I say, that is what this seems to me to be.

Is it possible that that is what has happened with the clicks you have mentioned?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really?

I very seldom need to use a back button because I automatically right click and choose 'open in new tab' when I visit a site.

This opens up a whole new interesting concept and I would love to hear others' experience of this.

1. Aficionada profile image79
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have various ways I navigate and a lot depends on the site and a lot depends on where I want to go and why.

I have joined a couple of new sites recently, and I don't know my way around them as well as I do HP.  So, if I can't see on the "current" screen how to get back to the page that lists all of the forum topics (the one on which earlier I clicked to get to where I am "now") then I will use the back button to return to a previous location.

Very rarely, I will do this on HP.  But now I know my way around well enough that I don't normally feel the need to.  One time when I do, though, is when I have filtered the (current) Forum Title list to "Your" and then from there have gone to one specific forum thread.  If I want to return to the list of forums where I have posted, I have two options that I know of.  One is to return to the main forum page and select "Your" again.  The other option is to use the Back button.

3. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

No need to worry.  Analytics doesn't have this user data, as far as I know. 

If you're getting traffic from a particular subdomain, it's most likely because people went from a hub on a subdomain to your hub.  You can even go to the subdomain in question and find the hub that's on a related topic and sometimes see the link to your hub in their related hubs or even linked directly from their hub.

These are NOT visits from the hubber who writes on that subdomain - at least, there's no reason to think they are.

The way to check it in Analytics is if you get more than one visit from a subdomain, use the "City" metric to view where they came from.  You'll see they're regular traffic from all over.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds plausible and I hope you're right.

But we have a lot of new users who maybe don't know NOT to click on other hubbers ads.

4. Fiction Teller profile image60
    Fiction Tellerposted 12 years ago

Now that is a whole nother issue...

It really makes me sad that Google's so unforgiving with people who don't know the way Google "thinks."  As an example, I read of one case where a woman had just joined AdSense and assumed that Google would discount her own clicks.  So not being very techy, she tested the ads on her site to make sure they would work.  Google disabled her account and I don't believe she ever got it back.

I know why they do it - there are lots of reasons, among them the need to keep their advertisers happy - but it's sad. The Internet offers so many amazing opportunities for people to make a living, and a lot of good people are culled because of misunderstandings about the way things work.  Not everyone Google thinks of as a "bad guy" has bad intentions.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is such a sad story.  From discussions we have had here on the topic, I had assumed that Google would listen to someone who came to them and explained what had happened like that.  I'm really sorry for your friend.  sad

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)