Creepy or bold gesture?

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (22 posts)
  1. theIndecisiveGirl profile image60
    theIndecisiveGirlposted 12 years ago

Last night while at my neighborhood bar, I noticed a guy come in with one of the regulars. I tried to decipher If he was the regulars boyfriend and it seemed that he wasn't but I still wasn't sure. So after I pay my tab and finish off my last beer before i head of to another bar, he sits in the chair next to me and we begin to play that awkward staring game, (you know the one when someone looks at you but when you look at them they look away)finally after about five minutes of that he introduces himself. Were chatting and totally hitting it off and then i do the dumbest thing i think i could do in that situation I tell him that im leaving but will probably be back. He looked very disappointed and told me how great it was to meet me and he hoped that he would still be there when i got back. So the whole drive to my next destination i kept telling myself to turn around ( i didn't) and when i did go back to the bar he was gone. My friend who was the bar tender told me it was clear he was into me and that i shouldn't have left. So today with the help of technology i rummaged through a few facebook profiles and found his. So my question is would it be completely creepy of me to send him a message with my number or should i just hope that ill run into him again?

1. profile image49
      blemon11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not creepy.  You have second chance.  Go for it.

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Well....It would certainly come off as a little desperate.  But, you were the one who had the encounter.  You'd probably be the best judge of whether it would be OK or not.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Creepy or bold - I don't think it would put you in a real appealing light.  If it had been one of those rare, overwhelming, love-at-first-sight things; he'd figure out a way to find you. 

Since it apparently wasn't, it just kind of looks like meeting someone "reasonably appealing" is such a rarity for you that there's no way you just let it go and see what happens, or who else you meet, from here on.  To me, it would be better to go back to the location of the meeting more often, hoping he might show up again; rather than "tracking him down online".  (As it is, the bar setting kind of takes "points off" anyone someone meets; and you're the "anyone" that particular "someone" met at a bar, so you may already be at a little bit of "point disadvantage" in his eyes.. (IMO).  smile

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yup.

I would return to the place and ask the regular he/she came with if they knew when he/she might be back? Or if they knew a way to contact them. they may tell you about the facebook and make a way for you.

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

facebook rules (unofficial):  unless the two of you either discussed facebook, or exchanged fb names, or one of you asked the other to friend them - avoid using facebook to reintroduce yourself - it would be kind of creepy.  However, if you want more of him, go back to the bar around the same time of day you saw him before and see if he turns up and seems really, really glad to see you - perhaps he'll say, "I was hoping I would find you here!"

5. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

not creepy from a guy's pov. If a girl found me on FB.. I'd be flattered.

If she showed up at my house.. then I'd be freaked out.

Message him and say "Hey! Fancy bumping into you here (online)! We keep running into each other!"

Then when he asks (if he does)tell him you saw his profile from a friends page or a mutual fan page and thought it was him. If he doesn't ask.. dont bring it up and go with the flow!

1. rikabothra profile image60
      rikabothraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good advice R.S. Hutchinson! I would go for something like this as well!

However, 'theIndecisiveGirl' - if you want you could wait for a few days to see whether you do run into the guy again, if not, you could surely go for the advice mentioned above!

6. LegendaryN8 profile image60
    LegendaryN8posted 12 years ago

People are habitual - if he showed up and liked what he saw, he will probably stop by once or twice again just to see if he will bump into you.  It's gone though my head to do that when I met someone that I thought was cute/hot/interesting.  I thought "hey, I saw that person at (place I somewhat regularly go to).  I haven't been there in a couple weeks, maybe I will see that cute/hot/interesting woman again".

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is exactly what my husband did 23 years ago...he saw me across the room(in a BAR!), but he had to leave.  So he came back another time, and I was there, and we connected immediately...it didn't even occur to either one of us to take any points off because we were both in a bar. smile

We were married two months later, and now have three kids(I already had the first two) and four grandkids...

So that's what I suggest--go back to this place, and see if he turns up again.  It may not work out like our situation did, but you just never know...

7. skear profile image92
    skearposted 12 years ago

I disagree with most of the other responses here.  Life is too short to sit around and hope he might contact you.

In my opinion you really don't have anything to lose by adding him on Facebook. 

You never know, he might be the one, why not take a chance?

8. profile image0
    ExoticHippieQueenposted 12 years ago

Ok, here, indecisivegirl, I have read your situation and all of the answers beneath it. After careful consideration, I feel that most of the men's answers are the best. After all, you're getting their point of view.  Life IS short.  BUT you don't want to be a dang stalker either, so you can do this. Do that facebook thing, but don't do it right away.  Wait at least a week before you contact him there. In the meantime, go back to the bar where you first met on the same day and time. It wouldn't hurt to ask about him to the bartender if it's a regular bartender, the same one that worked that night.  Ask if he comes in regularly, does the bartender know who you are talking about, etc.  Hang out at the bar for a few weeks on the same night that he was there.  Ask around a little about him.  If no luck, then do the facebook thing very casual like.  We women have our ways of getting what we want without the men ever knowing that we are doing it, it just has to be very subtle, at least from the guy's viewpoint.

9. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Trust me! This is what you do... stalk him on facebook and as soon as he writes something like - "Headin' out to Miller's Ale House with some friends tonight." You show up!! TA-DAAA!!! Problem solved!

- - - - It's not really stalking if it's online, roll I think - - - - roll

10. Stump Parrish profile image59
    Stump Parrishposted 12 years ago

Damn a bunch of old fashioned rules and game playing. If you are interested in the guy send him a message and mention you enjoyed the conversation  It seems everyone has a FB account these days. Everyone uses this form of communication these days. If he was into you he will appreciate the contact. Why sit around waiting for him to find you. What's the worst that could happen?  He might not reply and then again, he might have been wondering how to find you. This is no different than the old double standard that a girl shouldn't call a guy. Why the hell not? I thought the whole equality thing had been settled a long time ago.
    I'm sorry but sitting around a bar waiting for someone who's only been in once to reappear is a little lame. It's easy to explain that you were on a freinds page and noticed him again. You enjoyed the conversation and were a little later getting back than you thought you would be. Invite him to have a drink somewhere else and explain you just want to get to know him better. It never bothered me when a woman contacted me and to be honest, I usually take it as a compliment. Unless your planning on asking the guy to marry you over drinks at your first meeting,. I say go for it.

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not necessarily a double standard.  Some people (I'm one) think it would be creepy if the guy went and found her on Facebook too.   There's just something a "little too stalky" about that.   lol   (Besides, who's that friend she's going to tell him has a page that she saw him on?  Does she have to make up a friend and lie to him?)

I still like the "go lurk at the bar more often" approach.   lol

11. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

What have you got to lose?  But only if you're sure you didn't have a booger hangin' out or something when he was looking at you surreptitiously?  (I hope this post doesn't ruin the mens good record giving advice on this thread.)  smile

12. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

I'm with the 'go for it' crowd.  If he doesn't want any further contact, I'm sure he'll let you know.  Pretty sure he would be excited to hear from you as long as it was just a brief 'hi' and 'wanna go out sometime'.  Then the ball is in his court.

13. thighhighchick profile image60
    thighhighchickposted 12 years ago

Just DO IT!

14. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

If you do see him on fbook, just send him a quick message. Dont friend him, just message him. If he messages back and friends you, go from there. If he suggests meeting up and youre interested, do that. But of course meet in a familiar place. Dont offer your number until you see him in person again. But if youre seriously as interested as you seem to be, there's no point in just waiting around for him to show up in the same bar again.

15. GrowingDeeper profile image60
    GrowingDeeperposted 12 years ago

FB message him with something not as direct as your number. More like "Why are you FB stalking me wink" something flirty, witty but not overtly desperate

16. recommend1 profile image60
    recommend1posted 12 years ago

I see no reason at all why you can't just chat him on Facebook - even admit directly that you fancy him.  No need for game playing, life is too short.

17. ubanichijioke profile image73
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

It's your call. Give him a trial. Best of luck

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)