Bored with Hub Challenge - already ...

Jump to Last Post 1-43 of 43 discussions (131 posts)
  1. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

So, Hubtivity is swamped with new hubs that nobody really wanted to write and nobody really wants to read. The natural (and excellent) dynamic of this Great Domain is destroyed. And those of us who have work to do or are less than competitive by nature can only sit back and wait for the feeding frenzy to finish. I didn't enjoy it last year and I'm already not enjoying it this year. But it's surely good for the Hubpages Team. All that new content, for free, riding on the back of a pseudo-competition. Give me a break...

If I come across as a grumpy old man, that's OK.

Am I alone?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paraglider, I can't speak for the HubPages team as a whole, but the large publishing volume actually creates a lot more work for me, so I've got to say I feel your pain, plus some.

But what's good for HubPages (I draw a distinction here between HubPages and the HubPages team), is good for the whole community.  And you're right that new, fresh, quality content is good for the site, increasing its authority and backlinks, which will raise everyone's search rankings and traffic.

As far as the low-quality stuff, I think probably the people who are just cranking out content for the sake of cranking out content will drop off fairly quickly.  Writing fluff as fast as you can gets boring and burns you out.

Paragliderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep. That's why I'll just go out for a beer instead wink

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ABSOLUTELY! I just wrote one I'm not happy with, but I know that I might get a lot of time to edit it tonight considering that I've now published four today and don't need to push.

I don't think that this is a race to the finish line. I write because I enjoy writing, and I feel as though this writing is helping me to learn more about keywords and how to apply them. I found it interesting to discover, though, that Mark Knowles didn't bring any special knowledge with him when he joined HP!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

None at all. I cut my teeth here smile

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Did you learn mainly from experience? Your hubs and Chucks are helping me out a lot but I still sometimes feel lost lol

Yes. I never believe anything I am told smile

While I did already know that (in terms of your veiled meaning), I find that interesting. A sort of "scientific experimentation."

Now *that* is something I'd love to see a hub on, Mark! "How I learned, through experimentation, everything I know to become a professional blogger." smile

It applies just as equally to "making money online," or "the banks stress tests," or "for my protection from whatever,"

A hard hub to write. I have already written several and it invariably ends in arguments with people selling their version. Sound familiar? lol

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure there are plenty of other Hubbers who would say the same thing. HubPages is a great place to learn the ropes. I learned everything I know about making money online from HubPages, one way or another!

3. Whitney05 profile image84
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Even if one was to write a load of decent and high quality stuff, that can burn you out if done at a fast pace. I figure, write about 4 a day and then the next day focus on writing blog posts, alternating the two.

2. goldentoad profile image62
      goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

PG, I'm a grumpy young man, and I just logged on and saw a zillion hubs on my hubtivity. I don't plan to keep up and if I manage to produce more than two more hubs this month, then you know I am ignoring my husbandly duties, given up beer, pot, told the kids to find a father who will actually take them outside, told my boss I plan on surviving on money from recycled beer cans, and my cable is out. To top it all off there's not enough cocaine in LA to get me to produce so much. It seems because of the swine flu, travel back and forth from mexico isn't as easy, but I'm sure the restrictions will be lifted soon enough and the product will return in normal abundance, however, because of the delay, I doubt I could ever catch up. But Good Luck to everyone else on their mission.

The thing is, GT, I could just as easily have written a post on the joys of seeing so much new material flying through the ether. Another egg for breakfast and I'd probably have done it. It's all just stuff. We know that. . . wink

2. ajcor profile image60
        ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pretty valid reasons GT - just go with the flow or not as in this case....

3. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bah! Humbug! Paraglider. smile

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/funny-pictures-bah-humbug-cat.jpg

First of all, I'm (kinda)sorry that your Hubtivity is overflowing with a bunch of Hubbers who are excited about publishing new Hubs. However, the fact that we're all working overtime to even keep it going should tell you that in fact it's not even close to being a free ride for either Team HubPages or the Hubbers who have accepted the challenge.

I mean, the whole thing started when I saw someone else come up with the idea, so HubPages as a company didn't even think of this 'pseudo competition' that you speak of. I actually saw the blog post over at The KeyWord Academy and thought that it would be fun to give the guy a little bit of a challenge. Plus, I'm always curious to see what happens when I push myself to the limit and I hate watching TV. So, writing 100 Hubs over the next 30 days seemed like a good idea to me. But for you, I guess not so much -- which is cool, too. 

After that, all that I did was mention the crazy competition to a few other Hubbers who thought that they'd like to join in as well and before you know it we have an all out HubPages Hubbing frenzy that's actually got me super excited! I'm looking forward to getting in the trenches with the rest of my fellow Hubbers as the challenge continues.

If you're already getting sick of it, I guess you'll just have to suck it up (or change your Hubtivity preferences over here) because I still have 100 more Hubs to go and I'm just one of the who knows how many Hub Challengers.

Or, I guess that you could put down that remote control and do 30 Hubs in 30 days...that's not too much of a stretch, is it? smile

Thanks for your opinion, though Paraglider -- I just happen to disagree with it 100%.

Hi Hup - thanks for the response. To be honest, I just thought it would make a lively thread. Was I right?
        I won't be entering because I simply don't have time, but am happy to wish others every success smile

4. Benson Yeung profile image66
      Benson Yeungposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have company. I once challenged myself to do three hubs a week and it felt like all work and no fun. I think it's more important to enjoy writing than to finish the hubs on time.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Hey !

Read these and tell me they are not worth reading:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Eco-Friendly-Resort-Development
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Potato-Asparagu … -Tortillas
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Menton-Citrus-F … ch-Riviera

Of course - you have no understanding of writing any way lol

I think they are great, Mark! I wish I had more time to read them right now lol!

LOL - I know. Still - they may not be completely from the heart, but I don't see this as a competition with anyone but myself. Can I wrote 100 hubs in 30 days that are worth reading and will generate google adsense income? We shall see.......

I'm TRYING to learn to cook, which is part of why I mentioned the recipes before. I really like the look of some of the ones you've published and they make me interested in learning how to actually prepare a proper meal. I've never been the most successful. Been married to two great cooks lol

2. Paraglider profile image88

The middle one's fine - I read it when you posted it. But you're right - I no knothing abt righting. And have bean toald as much to my phayze, in the rilijin 4m ...
      Grumping is good for the mythical sole wink

LOL

A grumpy old man huh? Wonder what that makes me.......

Younger than me. We established that some time ago!

Guess I am a grumpy younger man then lol

3. Pete Maida profile image62
      Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do you have to write for profit to have an understanding of writing?  I will also be very happy when this thing is over.  I don't think personal attacks to questions are necessary.

1. goldentoad profile image62

Mark was just kidding at the time. No need to get the panties in a bunch.

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I didn't actually know that we were competing? If I am missing the purpose of this challenge, then perhaps I need to re-think my involvement. I don't want to put my work up in a competition with other hubbers.

As for me, and the way I'm going about this, I am definitely writing hubs that I "want" to write. I'm just doing it a bit faster than I had anticipated and forsaking some of my other hobbies temporarily while I see my way through this.

That being said, I agree with you about the swamped "hubtivity" and I'm also finding it to be somewhat annoying and something of a distraction from what I thought was the real purpose of this challenge: discovering where our limits lie.

I did just post a 2600 word hub as part of the challenge. So I, for one, am trying very hard not to pump out poor quality work into Hubpages.

4. roastedpinebark profile image60
    roastedpinebarkposted 14 years ago

i have to agree with each of you so far, some people will probably just write stuff as fast as they can to get that 100 or 30 while others, like myself, work on unfinished projects and ideas that just haven't had the passion previously to be completed.  I think overall that it is a plus for hubpages but I guess I really don't know from experience.

5. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I do think this challenge is going to end up with tons of low quality work, but there's really nothing that can be done about that. The goal is supposed to write hubs that can potentially earn money and whatever, and low quality is not really going to have a high earning potential.

I am writing what I want to write, but I'm trying to space it out. For example, I have written 4 hubs today (all over 1,000 words), but I have only published 2, which were actually written earlier this month. Before I publish anything, I want to make sure that they read and look how I want them to, and bc I'm writing more than normal, I want to find as many errors before publishing.

I generally write 15 or so a month, so I'm only doubling my regular goal. But, if I run out of topics I like, then I'll just stop instead of forcing any hubs out, which would end up low quality.

HubPages is a commercial site. We all make a little money, but HubPages make a lot. I don't grudge them a penny because it's symbiotic. I can't attract as many readers on my blogs as I can here. But I'm more interested in the readers than the money. This initiative is intended to refresh the new content on hubpages for the benefit of . . . ?

Whitney, thanks for making me not the only one who is working on making my hubs longer in length. My goal with every one of them (except the one I'm currently working on, which was going to be short and to the point anyway) is 1000 words. We can do it!

Keep up the good work!

6. shibashake profile image81
    shibashakeposted 14 years ago

I have been spending a lot of time sprucing-up my older hubs instead. Maybe we can have a Hub Improvement Challenge next year smile

1. Herald Daily profile image59
      Herald Dailyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that's a great idea!

7. Jezzzz profile image43
    Jezzzzposted 14 years ago

My thought behind the entire challenge is to compete with ourselves and to find out if hubpages can be a viable way to make money on the internet.  At least that is what the challenge started out to be.  We are not competing with each other.  How would we benefit in doing that?

I want to see if I can make any significant money with hubpages and while doing that put up some interesting information in the process.

8. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Tut, tut, already bored? Why don't you join our game?

3100conspiracy@gmail.com

This will help motivate you. smile

"our game?" Let's see - lxxy: 0 hubs
      Paraglider: 84 hubs
      OK - teach me how to play wink

1. lxxy profile image60
        lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ahh, young padawon. You've already been decieved by your poor perceptions.

Maybe if you looked at my profile, you'd get a little clue.

Y.T.,

lxxy

9. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Whitney, would you burn out as quickly if everything you were writing was about your dogs? (grabbing a random example, sorry!)

I think that if we each write about what we know in a kind of "from the heart" way, we'll cover it okay without making a mess of HP *or* (I hope) burning out. I'm trying not to pace myself. I'm not doing the "if I do 3.5 hubs a day... blah blah blah" thing. I'm writing as much as I want to. If that's ten hubs in a day, great! If it's two hubs in a day, I'll have to catch up later, but... Well, whatever smile

1. Whitney05 profile image84
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In a way, yes I would get burnt out bc I'd be writing about the same topic over and over again. Even if I only write about things I'm interested in, I will still get burnt out if I push myself or if I write too much in a day without forcing it.

I've never pushed myself that hard, so it's going to be interesting to see whether or not I'm the same way. I know that to a certain degree the tendency to burn out is personality-driven.

If you're somebody who likes to research more, for example, that would be your drive, but you'd be working so hard to get so many hubs out in a limited time, you'd burn out.

It's interesting, I think, and will be interesting to see how it goes for everyone.

10. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I can only speak for myself; my goal is just to see if I can crank out that much quality material in a month. I tend to procrastinate...as you can see from the number of hubs I have in total. Any extra money will be secondary.

My goal (in this thread) is to be provocative. But I think everybody knows that wink
      Having said that, I don't like the effect of the challenge on hubtivity!

I like what you write, Susan. Some of your pieces have really touched a very deep part of me. Procrastination aside, I hope that you shouldn't have a lot of trouble with this challenge because for me at least, if I speak from my own heart I can write faster, longer and with higher quality.

Paraglider: I do agree with you about the hubtivity. I don't tend to check it any more anyway, opting for my e-mail, but I got a huge slew of e-mail this morning!

11. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I tend not to check hubitivity that often, relying on emails.

1. Eric Graudins profile image61
      Eric Graudinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry guys, I just can't devote the time to taking part in this challenge, nor keeping up with the avalanche of new hubs from the people I follow.

Good luck to everyone undertaking the challenge.
      Just make sure that you keep some quality in there with the quantity :-)

Cheers, Eric G.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We here you loud and clear, I published one today called in a Split Second, it was quality.smile

12. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

The hubbers that are not up to the challenge appears to be the ones who normally take a long time to produce one hub.  I noticed that one of the commenters took two years to produce 84 hubs.  You can imagine the frustration of having to do two years worth of work in thirty days for no bonus other than to not be called a grumpy old man.

I think that the hubbers who do not want to participate should not speak negatively about the ones who are up for the challenge in the spirit of a community working together to reach a goal.  Winning a race with the 100 hubs in 30 days or completing the race with 30 hubs in 30 days is a challenge that all should welcome.  Very seldom is anything viable accomplished in the "comfort zone."  Maybe some hubbers feel that their independence have been shattered because of the timeline and production that has been advertised.

If you are not up for the challenge, then just go about your normal routine of writing.  Voice your opinion once, go out and get your beer and then move on.  If you are busy commenting about writing, your time for writing will diminish.  On that note I will get back to my personal mission of writing 100 hubs in 30 days which I find not as a chore, or a bore but a challenge.

If you are busy responding in forums, you may not reach your goal. Good Luck!

I've posted four hubs today and I am working on Abraham Lincoln right now (been doing that for four days now). And I've been on the forums. I think it really depends on the hubbing style. I can type fast and write fast when I want to, but, for example with the Lincoln hub, I need to take my time for other hubs.

I think many hubbers CAN do it. I for one can't and like many things, I give up before I try. I'm negative like that. I was shocked when I saw the hubtivity on my screen. I was like no way jose. I can typically keep up with reading everyone's hub output, but I don't think, actually I know I can't read that fast. Remember, excessive use of drugs and alcohol have slowed me. I just hope people got ice packs for those fingers, but like I said, good luck to everyone, and I know many hubbers can do it.

2. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am with you GT. What you said makes perfect sense to me.

3. lindagoffigan profile image57
        lindagoffiganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge Completed June 3, 2009.

1. AEvans profile image71
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Linda, with regards to production of hubs some of us have unpublished hubs that we pulled down for one reason or another so that person's 84 or my 85 could very well be 150. Everyone is allowed to vent, you just expressed yourself didn't you? Congrats on the 100 good for you! smile

13. RGraf profile image86
    RGrafposted 14 years ago

I'm looking at it as a kick in my pants to get the wants I've been wanting to write done.  Life keeps interferring and it has been frustrating.  I'm making the challenge a personal one to actually finish my projects.  If I don't make, I at least got some off my writing to-do list.  Though none have been published today, they will be in the works when all distractions leave for their baseball games.

14. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Personally I think we might get an overflow of hubs, I think 30 hubs would have been a more realistic challenge. But if everyone is averaging 3 hubs a day for a month who is going to read them all on here, I certainly wont have time. I will be interested however in the end result of the quality writers traffic increase from outside of hubpages and whether it is worthwhile increasing your output. Let me know if you dont mind and good luck to you all.

1. blondepoet profile image67

Yes BC that is my problem I won't have time to read them either but good luck everyone.There is no way I will be able to keep up

So are you doing the challenge BC it said on your newest Hub?

15. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

I have been reading as many as I can so far, as I am not up to the challenge at the moment,  so far I think the content is brilliant,,,,,,

I think it is a brave thing to do, I hope if I am around this time next year,and I have brushed up my writing skills, I will have a go at it.......  who knows where we will all be next year cheers.......

1. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was a contest last year which was about writing as many hubs as possible on a topic which changed ever 24 hours(from memory) - it was where I learn how to write fast of a given topic. Writing isn't a skill you can learn watching - writing is a skill you have to practice - you can watch a video on how to ride a bike - but you actually have to try it learn how.

Last year I learned to write - this year I am doing it with the challenge to get my hubs ranked for my keywords

16. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Personally I am doing it for myself and that it would be exciting to write and get involved. I have only committed to 30 as I have plenty of work to do next to the challenge. We are community who is having fun, and although we may not find one person's article of interest, another person may , that is the beauty of writing. smile

Mark, I am making your recipe tonight as it sounds scrumptious. smile

It was. Bon Apetit smile

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I'm not bored...I'm busy writing!

Sometimes to set ourselves a goal or a deadline can do us good in the long run, how many times have we said we'll do this and that and then we just turn on the tv and watch shit!!

18. Jerilee Wei profile image67
    Jerilee Weiposted 14 years ago

I look at it as more of a marathon that matters not who is first or did it the fastest, but ran the race with integrity.  Also as a former market research analyst for Fortune 500 companies, it's an interesting study.  Personally, it's an opportunity to grow as a writer and see how much can be written without sacrificing quality and community participation.  I already learned tons just today.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's been a really interesting day already...so interesting that I haven;t been able to start writing yet.

But, I have found my first topic, so here goes nothing! smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're going to write them all in the last week aren't you? fueled by gallons of coffee...

2. privateye2500 profile image41
        privateye2500posted 14 years agoin reply to this

NOPE - not alone at all.

I happen to believe this is an Enormous mistake and one *they* will regret unless they don't mind 1000's of very sub-standard Hubs.

But you would HAVE to believe that Someone high-up made this call.  Hmmmmmm. 

For them to say this is a-"fun experiment that will show them what their real earning potential is here on HubPages."

Well, frankly that simply SADDENS me and says a LOT about what this is REALLY all about.

1. HubPolice profile image58
          HubPoliceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is Hubpages not about whatever you choose it to be about?  For some it's money, for others fame, for others still simply a way to pass the time.  For me there is no right or wrong reason. smile

19. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's a competition, more an experiment to see if a) it's possible to write 100 or 30 good quality hubs in 30 days and b) if it is possible to make money out of it.

b) won't happen if people don't produce good hubs, so people are shooting themselves in the foot if they are just churning them out with no thought.

I'm only aiming for 30 myself - I need time to promote the hubs if I'm going to manage the money goal (which is the point for me)

20. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Join the fun and write your you know what off!

21. mandybeau profile image58
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

Did I not say this would happen, Terrible for writing, racing and as I said my email box is full to brim. Sorry guys some of the stories just don't cut it.
    YAAAAAAWN
    They are being written but the quality is shocking, in so many cases.

1. profile image0
      Whikatposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow Mandy, I am not sure who you are fanning, but the hubbers I am fanning have came out with some great hubs, and I have yet to read one that was below their standards of writing. Same writers, just more hubs. :-)

1. lxxy profile image60

Agreed! smile It's all about showing your passion and talent...when a hubber really tries, you can easily see it, even if there is some faults to their work!

http://img6.glowfoto.com/images/2009/05/11-1556083902T.gif

2. darkside profile image65
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When a person fans for quantity, then the quality will certainly be absent.

1. lxxy profile image60

Agreed. The trick is though--can you juggle enough skills to throw in enough quality ingredients?

The more we do, the better we become....

1. profile image0

Agreed! Excellent point darkside!

lxxy, I never could juggle very good sad will I ever become better?

1. lxxy profile image60

Practice, review, ask for help, and encourage yourself when we're not around. wink

*hugs* Just keep at it! I've a bag of tricks, you've seen some. Would you not agree quality exists?

Y.T.,

lxxy

1. profile image0

lxxy, Thanks for the hugs. Yes, I do enjoy your tricks and I do wholeheartedly agree that quality exists. :-)

2. Eric Graudins profile image61

This is similar to a favourite quote of mine, which makes people stop and shake their heads:
            "You Improve as you get better".

PSSSSST: Ixxxy
            I think your babel fish has crawled out of your ear lol
            Cheers, Eric G.

22. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

The few I've read have been up to the usual good quality

23. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I'm pretty good at ignoring the negativity and concentrating on my own writing...

1. lxxy profile image60

Great! Keep it up! smile

24. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I wrote one that I'm not happy with. Out of four, that isn't bad. I have two that I hope to get published tomorrow -- if not you'll see four and one of the aforementioned two will publish on Wednesday (I hope!!). Apart from the one I don't think that any of them are sub-standard and Why I Choose to be a Submissive Wife is quite long, including video, photos and links. Basically like a flagship hub!

25. aidenofthetower profile image66
    aidenofthetowerposted 14 years ago

I think I have a lot to say...

1st...I think that most people do want to write the hubs. They are just challenged to get to work!

2nd...I can't imagine how it would destroy the "dynamic of this Great Domain", after all the point is to add content. While there will be some who had less spectacular content, that is often the case even without a little challenge to fire everyone up.

3rd...I don't understand how it effects you. Yes, there is a lot of content going up, but what difference does it make to you?

4th...Because it isn't really a competition it is free for Hubpages, which is good for them, but also good for anyone who writes here with the hopes of making a little money. After all, increased content means increased traffic and that is good for us all!

Anyway...some of us work very hard on a lot of different sites and sometimes need to be challenged to work a little harder here or there for one reason or another. This was the challenge that I needed. I took forever to write my first 100 hubs...and have spent a lot of time lately working on good quality hubs...now I have a reason to get them done faster. Even if it just means I get to say I did it. (Oh and reap the benefits of doubling my content which is bound to help my affiliate incomes).

26. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I am far too lazy and unmotivated to attempt any such nonsense as 100 hubs.  Frankly, I'd rather snort powdered glass while watching baby seals get clubbed than try to vomit 100 hubs out in a month.  While I admit to writing mostly tripe, drivel and nonsense, I at least like to think I cared enough to try to make it good tripe, drivel and nonsense (even if they suck when all is said and done). 

As someone who has spent a long, long time learning the value of finding readers for one's work, even just one singular reader who actually cares enough to really look at what you have tried to say, I believe there is a moral obligation to provide the best work one is capable of, or at least to try.  It's a matter of respect.

The very best tripe drivel and nonsense in fact!
      p.s. you never did avenge the beggar ...

I hear ya brother. That's no challenge!
      How about 1000 hubs in 3 days. Now THERE's something we can get our teeth stuck into.

Now - Where did I save all that PLR stuff .
      And where did I see that advert for an article spinner!

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am taking part but I will be doing the "best work one is capable of". I'm not just going to throw up meaningless fluffy hubs during this challenge. I would have written these hubs anyway but this just got me in high gear. Each hub I write during the challenge will probably take me as long to write as normal, I'll just do more of it. Granted, I won't be writing 1500 word hubs...but I never have.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be the best use of the challenge.  I can see that. I just don't have your resolve and ability.  Go girl, hope you make heaps.

4. Benson Yeung profile image66
      Benson Yeungposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I certainly agree with Shades that quality is so-o much more important than quantity.

I agree with you Benson. Sometimes I wait a week or two until I am inspired on a  particular topic. I can't just pull them out of a hat. I want writing hubs to remain fun for me and not a chore. I am only speaking for myself, if other Hubbers are capable of great hubs in bulk, and by a deadline that is great too.There is no way I will be able to keep up with my regular favourites so please don't think I am ignoring your Hubs, I have heaps on the go at the moment, my first book has just been published,woo hooo, and a lot of my energies are into that, just to make sure everything there is right. smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
          Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Grats!  That's awesome.  Let us know when it comes out and such and perhaps hit a few hubbers you trust up to write reviews for you.

1. Christoph Reilly profile image68
            Christoph Reillyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is totally cool, BP!  Who loves ya, baby!

It is on here my book (paperback) http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b … ht/7098911 ,they have sent me a proof copy and if I am happy with it then it becomes available as a paperback all around the web, like Amazon etc. I am sooo excited it has taken hours(years) of writing plus hours trying to figure out all the stuff I had to do to make sure everything was typed with all these tight guidelines.

I am just so happy as I never finish anything I have started so yahooooo

1. profile image0
                  LAmatadoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Congrats BP!!!! I am so happy for you!

I am going to be working on a book about my many experiences in the ghetto with love and heartache....

You do hehe

27. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

You know I drink heavily, so, the memory isn't what it was when I was ... um... 15?  Beggar?  I'm having these nebulous memories of a hub you wrote and ensuing comments, ... but... I've been out of the loop and, see above, etc.

Loops are for getting out of. Whenever I find I'm in one, I'm reaching for my parachute...

28. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 14 years ago

Honestly I could care less, I know little about the challenge. I read a small amount of the idea and went on to Archie Comics, that's a joke, but hopefully point made. Perhaps HP is realizing that some people are waking up to the folly of it all in terms of making any real money, and trying to keep some of us interested. I will stay, but also write on other pages including my own Voice Blog which I am working on. But I will stay.Because I hope some of my friends will still want to hear what I have to say and not because I want to become a conveyor belt of meaningless  thirty hubs thirty days. And For what reason?????

1. lxxy profile image60

A lot of people sign up for HubPages and become confused with capsules and all that junk. This is a great challenge to light a fire under our butts to practice our arts, learn to use HP well, and help give each other praise.

Making money online is not hard. However, for you to achieve it, making money cannot be your outright goal. That's my .04 cents (adjusted for inflation) and I doubt they'll take it at the bank.

Y.T.,

lxxy

1. profile image0
        TheSandmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  29. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

I gave up before it started.  I had the thoughtform but not the drive.  Would be a great discipline to stay that focused.  But alas, not this time.  I'm doing some correctional work on existing hubs and will wait till the stampede is over to publish more.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, my thinking too.  I'm working on one I think might be funny, but I'm not going to throw it into the swollen river of this snow-melt bowel burst and let it get lost in the effluent maybe such a numbers run imposes on the local reading community.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Getting lost in the rush doesn't worry me, as I'm not writing primarily for the HubPages community.  However, I have to admit to feeling a bit like Paraglider - I pop into HubPages from time to time as a break from work, and usually Hubtivity gives me an interesting variety of Hubs, comments, and forum posts.  Right now, all I'm getting is Challenge, Challenge, Challenge...

You don't need to worry until you start looking a bit like Paraglider wink

1. Amanda Severn profile image94
            Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We've only your word for that!

ROFLMAO

2. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

pardon?

3. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep, you put it so well. Music it is. Music.

30. adjunct profile image61
    adjunctposted 14 years ago

Writing of any sort is always difficult because it requires a focus. I tell my writing students that they simply can't do two things at one time, and if they want to write well they have to write a great deal. Of course, writing a great deal mans everything else comes in second

Honoré de Balzac write his novels at night so he would not be disturbed by the bill collectors. He never was able to make enough money to keep the bill collectors happy, but he wrote some wonderful books.

Henry Miller wrote world-class literature while living as a penniless bum on the streets of Paris.

Writing is a very consuming business.

Thanks!

adjunct

31. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Paraglider, I'd like to thank you for making this thread. The truth is that because of this, I've done a good deal more thinking about the subjects I'm writing about and working on the research than I otherwise might. My first today, about Lizzie Borden, is a good example. I didn't learn anything new, but I sure did do a lot of research for the hub and I think it turned out quite beautifully! big_smile

32. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 14 years ago

I was going to get in by doing The Top 100 Ways to Procrastinate, but I just can't seem to get started.

33. negacrowbar profile image56
    negacrowbarposted 14 years ago

Will you all quit yammering.. I got 97 more dogs to write about

34. goldentoad profile image62
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

due to the increased volumes of worthless hubs, I put new batteries in my remote control. If only I can get the sticky stuff off of it, it would be all good. I cleaned the finger prints off the TV, it shines again. I'd invite people over, but BYOB.

35. Uninvited Writer profile image79

I look at it as we will be pushing the spam hubs to the background with this challenge. You may not of noticed it but there are already 1,000 of crappy hubs that people write every day and most of them are not involved in the challenge. Substandard ones get flagged as such.

36. cindyvine profile image70

Brilliant BP, what's it called and what's it about?  Maybe I can do a hub reviewing your book, and you can do a hub reviewing my book!

It is here Cindy http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b … ht/7098911 but the paperback is not for sale until the proof arrives this week woo hooo, and I have the manuscript as a download, http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/afte … t/7106633. It has already sold heaps, I am just happy though that I did it lol.

37. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 14 years ago

The link doesn't seem to be working, but congrats anyway on the book. Great to have done it, beginning to end. Unlike the old joke:
    "What are you up to these days?"
    "I'm writing a book"
    "Neither am I"

Aww thankyou

38. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Good luck again, blondiepoet. You're a kind soul who deserves some wub, even if its in the form of money and fame. wink

lxxy

Awww thankyou Izzy that means a lot. xox

39. cindyvine profile image70

I need to get some marketing tips off you, BP!

Sure Cindy I would love to help you out believe it has taken me around 78hours of sitting in front of my PC just to make sure I understand everything about distrubution, copyright, sooooo many late nights and sore eyes lol.

I finally got the right link grrrr for my book http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b … ht/7098911

40. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

My purpose when I joined HP was to participate in a community that was founded on common ground - writing.  I joined right before the Challenge began, and didn't really find out about it until a day or two later.  The only reason I found out about it was, get this, through Twitter.  lol 

At any rate, the Challenge has been an incentive for me to write and to keep my creative juices flowing.  Every hubber is positive with their comments, which just supports my belief that I can, and will, continue to write more.

As for the income, it's neither here nor there for me.  I'm doing what I love -- creating, writing and sharing. Most of all, I'm having fun with all my fellow hubbers!

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wholeheartedly agree, well put big_smile

41. profile image0
    2C'sposted 14 years ago

I'm bored with hubpages period now. hasta la vista

1. aka-dj profile image65
      aka-djposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tried that, but I'm still here. Oh well, there's always tomorrow!?

42. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

It's kind of annoying, yes, but it reminds me a little of the free writing exercises I used to do with a friend. Just write, write, write and see what happens. Sometimes you get your best stuff that way.

But it is hard on readers, yeah. And I can in no way keep up with reading my favorite folks now, because I'm writing all the time. smile

43. goldentoad profile image62
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

she didn't need the challenge. she is a hubmachine. she would have wrote that many anyways....
    I'm sure they are all filled with wonderful content.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)