Major Traffic Increase Almost 10,000 views in 24 hrs!!!!!!!!!!!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (82 posts)
  1. David 470 profile image82
    David 470posted 12 years ago

I have no idea what happened, but a ton of my hubs just got double red flags! My traffic went from a couple thousand views daily to nearly 10,000 overnight!!

This is insane! Has this happened to anyone else?

1. skear profile image93
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've noticed a big increase as well, several other people on the site seem to have noticed the same thing.  It looks like the subdomain idea is starting to pay off.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image62
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

David- a lot of people are reporting huge gains- though this is the largest I have read of- there are several similar threads. Unfortunately it appears that those people who were big losers in traffic last week have not had the same increase.

David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Big losers in traffic last week?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62

Yes,  BIG BIG losers I am afraid they were hit by the last panda update- if you read through the posts on the effect of the subdomain threat- towards the end- you will get the drift- not pretty I am afraid.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be me, among others here.  75 to 80% loss of traffic overnight.  We committed "Googlecide" I assume.  lol

Sorry to hear that, can I still be affected by that?

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

Who knows?  The CEO says it's because some of us have hubs which are written "awkwardly" and when read aloud to a group of certain people, show a distinct "readability" problem. 

In other words, we suck as writers.  smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image76
                Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Randy...Aww your'e a a very good writer!!

Im thinking the BIG boys are just wanting more profits wink

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

How dare you disagree with the CEO and his "professional listeners," EK!  You won't get ahead here taking that route, you know.  I am going to donate some of my "awkwardly written" hubs to a website, now owned by the Smithsonian Institute, which asked me to write a few subject related articles for them.

These articles have been linked to by other reputable sites and don't deserve to be here with the better writer's work.  smile

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
                    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had a look at some of your hubs last night, Randy.  One theory I thought of was that Google may indeed be (mis)interpreting some of your hubs as awkward.  Many of your hubs are instructional and used clipped sentences, things like: "Take the lid off.  Now insert the nozzle.  Put your hand inside and feel around."  That type of thing.  The sentence structures don't follow standard English structures of subject-verb-object, as in "The cat sat on the mat", or "I ate eggs for lunch".  Maybe Google is wrongly interpreting your sentences as bad English, as Paul E suggests?  Just a thought?  Starting sentences with a verb happens in instruction manuals but a machine might see it as bad English.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Well the most important word Ive learned in the last 3mths is

Diversify smile

And that's exactly what I plan to do.

2. rmr profile image68
                rmrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I've never been called a lousy writer before, but I guess that would explain the 80% drop in traffic; or it might if I weren't getting good traffic on other sites.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Good for you David!! I hope that traffic clicks like crazy too smile

(Mine appear to just window shop) lol

4. 2besure profile image79
      2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The heck with the traffic, anybody making more money???  That would be the coolest.  Like having a $25 DAY!  I do have a sea of read arrows though.  It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Well, gaining more traffic means more potential for more income, but I don't know how much I made yesterday because it's still pending. And of course, I will have to wait to see how much I will make today.

I imagine my Google Adsense account will have spikes in clicks, not sure about the HP ad program.

Just an additional note: If this was Christmas it would be even crazier! I have about 100% more traffic than I did last X-MAS when I actually started to make money consistently .

2. WriteAngled profile image75
          WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I only get an Adsense click once or twice a month, so am not holding my breath even though I have seen an increase in views.

With respect to HP Ads, my experience so far is that the more views I get, the lower the ad rate I am awarded, so an increase in views is never accompanied by a increase in earnings that is anywhere in proportion. This is in addition to the fact that HP Ads only credits about one third of the views I receive as being payable.

3. 2besure profile image79

My traffic and earnings are up.  So I think you're right!

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image69
      LeslieAdrienneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wonderful Dave....

My traffic is up as well... Praise  God!!!

Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

Haven't earned a penny from Goggle since I signed up with Hubpages Ads.(2/3 wks).but I am small fry, so not complaining. I guess Goggle adverts suck -dunno just my 2cents worth.

Traffic is ok for my ahem humble amount of hubs ,just no clicks?

Do you use HubPages ad program? That might help you out. I tried to check my earnings from yesterday, but it says pending. I don't know if this because of the major increase or what.

I wonder how ryankett is doing. He has a ton of hubs. He has been very successful on hubpages, he treats it like a full-time job (well he did, not sure if he still published here or not)

1. CASE1WORKER profile image62

Check out his latest hub which is his theory about content

Will do.

Yea ,I signed up to HP's a couple of weeks ago,and made a few dollars so far. Nice.
        But dont know whether its a co-incidence or not that Goggle adsense quit showing any earnings ( I always got a few clicks which resulted in a couple of dollars here n there) but then again ,a couple of my hubs have been cited as substandard just recently ,so yikes  I feel like I might just hang up this hobby and get a real job lol

Just when I think I understand this round a bout SEO gobbly gook...ahhh I dont.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

my traffic is way up but not earnings...

4. Glamorously Jacob profile image60
    Glamorously Jacobposted 12 years ago

My traffic is up about 100%!

5. Uzdawi profile image73
    Uzdawiposted 12 years ago

Quantcast proves the traffic increase. My traffic is still down.

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

6. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

My traffic is through the roof - doubled in 24 hours. I'm over 3,000 page views today and normally run about 1,500 a day. WOW!

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same here, but I tend to suspect there's a good chance there's some system-tweaking going on somewhere that may have shifted some things in one direction or another, and that maybe the rate at which the rise has taken place, as well as the degree of rise, itself, may be temporary.   I wouldn't be surprise if it results in a general increase in traffic for some people (and maybe not even for those of us who've seen it since yesterday in all cases), but then drops down to something more "normal". 

Paul Edmondson has already said they're working on things other than just the reading-aloud-to-people thing. I don't imagine a whole lot of time would pass between such a statement and some major shifts (even if temporary) in traffic.  (but I don't pretend to know anything about anything at this point, so who knows...  smile )

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The traffic onslaught continues. The servers are maxed out. I'm starting to experience delays and glitches. If this keeps up they're going to have to buy more hamsters.

I think I'll do my one insignificant little part by giving this whole traffic mystery another twelve hours, at least, before checking in to see what, if anything, goes on or doesn't go.

Oh man... I hope this is not something bad like a glitch or something....I am paranoid.

PS What happened to my followers? There is no word.

1. The Reminder profile image75
            The Reminderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They still follow you. If you look in your profile page, on top of your resume in the right, it shows the number of followers you have. But you just can't check who they are.

7. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Well my bounce rate is 100%, one page per visit.  So all these new people don't like what I do.

My bounce rate is like 80% something. sad

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is weird traffic. Normally I get the occasional visitor who reads more than one page.  But these zombies are one page only.  Almost like a bot is sending them.

I hope these are not bots. I will be deeply disappointed if it is. Somehow I doubt it because that would mean 2500 robots are viewing one of my hubs LOL!

Funny thing is, about 5% of my traffic is coming from backlinked sites..I mean referring sites.

2. 2besure profile image79

Since the Panda change, I have 92% new traffic.  I am not sure if that is good or bad.

8. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

RE: The reminder-actually you can still see who your followers are. You just click on  the "more" comment above the pictures of hubbers who follow you and you get a list in the order they joined.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, the pictures are on gone, and there is no "more" button.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
        FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hmm. I can still see mine. oh well. Perhaps it is just as well as I get upset when someone stops following me for no reason.

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

Guys without being too pissy - forget about the followers. They'll never make you rich.

Analyse your traffic.

Is this real traffic, real viewers?

Or some new Google crap.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Deleted

Seriously, traffic is my concern today.  Why are the stats so crazy, but no one is buying anything?  Are these real hits or ghosts in the machine?  Is it just another sick test by Google, or is someone scamming HP?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

Maybe we are having a denial-of-service attack. And the attackers are failing miserably at it. lol

Mine's been like that for over a week now ,red arrows and no clicks? I mean none!

Beginning to wish we never had them at all.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

no, not being prissy.  Just annoyed about something you don't think is that important.  As for me being rich, since I get no ad clicks and only HP impressions...

I get none of these numbers. My numbers have gone up  in the last 24 hours among hubbers and that is because I published two hubs closely together and  shared my first hub with my followers-all in one day.

OK sorry. 

I won't bother trying to talk about traffic on here.

You guys carry on.

Traffic is *very* important, Mark, and what this forum is actually about.. I wasn't being flip. just the opposite. I just meant that prissy is such a negative term  and not at all what  you were being. If my traffic has gone up-to a grand total of 125 views in the last day-it is because I published something. Unless I publish something my views go back down.to nil. I just made my original comment because  well,  I thought I'd noticed something that someone hasn't about the changes just made today.  As for my adsense, I have not had a single click on any of my hubs, no matter what the topic, since my first 10 days of ad Sense. And though I have amazon capsules on my mystery fiction and classic movie hubs I have not made a single sale. Oh, and I was laid off by my dad in December when he became semi-retired and have not had a steady job since. With having to spend $860 saving my cat from a rabies vaccine reaction, there went my property taxes. I never know if I I'm going to pay my bills. But the reason I don't normally talk about  this in the forms is that  I can get very depressed. and when that happens I stay in bed and look at the ceiling. So I have to laugh at my situation. No offence was meant. But I found a dead cat in the middle of the road walking home yesterday and I find myself today not motivated to do much of anything but talk about that cat.

Sorry Flora. Crossed wires maybe. And I'm sorry for your situation.

don't worry about it.

3. Eaglekiwi profile image76

Probably the latter lol

But then even manure is valuable ,so Im sitting on the fence (like I have much choice).

10. Silver Rose profile image64
    Silver Roseposted 12 years ago

Someone from Hubpages who posts as "Yieldbuild" on webmasterworld, made the following comment:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/4346666-4-30.htm

"On the evening of the 23rd, just about six months to the day since Panda we started seeing increase in traffic - largely across the board. "

I know he's from hubpages, because if you click his profile and read his previous comments, he says things like "At HubPages we..."

My traffic is up sharply but I'm not really seeing increases in conversions. It might be that G is experimenting the way they did just before Panda (when traffic surged, and it was a test to see how users reacted)

11. Richieb799 profile image76
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

Well Done Dave, I've been getting increases on all of my individual hubs are in double figures
    My best one has stayed at about 1000 daily views and a few more in the hundreds smile

Lol I was hoping to see you on this thread to see how you are doing.

Yes, same with me, some are in the hundreds, and one is above 2000 views. Surprisingly, a lot of old hubs that never did that great are getting double red flag increases.

Are any of your old hubs that maybe did not do well in the past doing well now?

1. Richieb799 profile image76
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Dave, about 1/3 of my hubs are all getting in double figures now. Although I haven't been able to do any backlinking to the new sub domain. That seemed to be helping me...

thing is I haven't had much time because I got a new job working on a client's website. That will be great when I get paid next week, I'm going to buy a new computer to replace computer number 2! smile

I also have 2 high ranking websites I like to maintain, so Ideally I need a third computer for Hubpages alone haha

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

My traffic had a big bounce after the sub-domain switch, and now it's had another! I love seeing all those red arrows. I'm holding my breath. lol

13. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 12 years ago

Traffic is important, no doubt.

But - does it convert? And by that I mean whatever it is you're writing for. Recognition ... are you getting some real interest in you the writer, the poet? Income ... you write for the revenue, are you getting a nice and healthy CTR?

If no to the above then the traffic surge is a bit like a sugar hit. Sweet and all that but for sure those calories are empty ones.

I got a fab traffic increase via the subdomain switch. It didn't do squat for my income, therefore I didn't throw a party and get the flags out.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Froggie! Yes, my HP earnings have increased (Google and HPads).

1. frogdropping profile image76
        frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thankyou Habee. I think you're getting ma point smile Traffic that delivers the goods is what's important. And bloody good on ya for getting what you deserve woman big_smile

1. habee profile image92

Many thanks! This might very well be short-lived, but I'm enjoying it for now. lol

habee, it's the same with me (at least, as you say, for now).  My earnings as of right now (at 5:50 p.m. and not all that much more past halfway through the Google day), I'm $2 away from my post-Panda/post-subdomain "high" - so unless earnings stop completely between now and 3:00 a.m. Eastern time, chances are I'll at least get beyond that particular "high". If nothing else, I'll get a day and a half of earnings boost for August (unless this a mistake, and one of the nature, that would involve making people pay back what they earn.  lol )  That "high" still has only been a fraction of pre-Panda earnings, but with how things have changed; if I ever get back to that, I think it will be by a completely different "road" than than I got to that pre-Panda anyway.  I've seen some consistency between pre-and post- Panda as far as earnings/traffic go between the mix of Hubs; but that's it.

2. frogdropping profile image76
            frogdroppingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*nods* Exactly what I'd be doing. I hope it keeps going up for you Habee. Reckon you're one of the hardest workers around when it comes to this writing lark smile

1. habee profile image92

Awww...thanks, Froggie! I'm a writing addict.

14. Ddraigcoch profile image74
    Ddraigcochposted 12 years ago

Ha. I have had 2050 in the whole 6 months. 50% of that is from fellow writers here.

Congratulations on the big jump. Have you suddenly linked somewhere different lately? Reddit gives good traffic.

No, I have not linked lately, however, 5% of my traffic is coming from referral sites. So I must be getting backlinks from websites I suspect, but not sure.

15. JJin26 profile image60
    JJin26posted 12 years ago

I never get traffic like that, It could always be the topic at certain time and what people are interested in reading about but I haven't seen success like that yet.

16. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 12 years ago

Wow, so, now that the Amazon reports are available I am pretty confident that the new traffic is, at least partially, not a fluke.  My Amazon clicks are a good 75% higher than usual.  Not only are there more clicks, but they are converting as well.  That isn't the behavior of a googlebot or what have you.  I still see very curious repeated search terms across the board that make me think there's some type of keyword checking occurring but my morning results put these two theories at odds with one another.

17. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 12 years ago

Has anyone heard anything from staff in regards to this sudden spike in traffic? It's odd that they have not mentioned anything for I am quite confident that they have noticed it and judging from all of the forums posts it's been noticed by quite a few hubbers too. cool

1. skear profile image93
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only comment I have seen is a short note from Paul.

"we can confirm a significant increase in traffic"
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/79215?p … ost1755671

18. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 12 years ago

My traffic is still double today, over 3,000 page views and the I made the most I've made in the HP ads program yesterday in one day: over $11.00. Things are looking up.

Damn your eCPM (amount made per 1000 views) must be high!

2. EuroCafeAuLait profile image80
      EuroCafeAuLaitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

wow - I am happy with my 24 views so far today.  This month I've made 57 cents so far, but that is double what I made last month.  You both give me something to look forward to, with a little work and persistence!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)