Changes to "Hubbers you follow" page.

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. christopheranton profile image64
    christopherantonposted 12 years ago

Who has changed the layout of the "Hubbers you follow" page. I used to get notification on it of any new hubs by the people I follow. Now I have to click on their profiles to see if they have done anything new. This is a completely senseless move. I havent got time to check out the profiles of all those I follow. The result is that I probably wont read a lot of their stuff any more.

This "inprovement" is a great disincentive to following anyone. Please put it back to the way it was.
    The new way is just awful.
    Please remember, that changes to systems should be thought through. Change for change sake is not the way to go.

1. skye2day profile image69
      skye2dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree it is awful and since there is no more follow this hubber where do we follow another hubber? I do not like it one bit either. I feel like it really takes away from the hubpages community. Why have they moved hub fan numbers? What is all this about? There is no info on the home page about the change. I have searched and found nothing. I do not get it! I am with you Please put it back.

2. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi christopheranton,

We recently made some changes to "Hubbers You Follow" page (as well as the other "... You Follow" pages) in order to make them look and feel more similarly to each other.  You also added in a new feature:  you can now unfollow content directly from these pages.

However, it looks as though this change also resulted in you losing some information that you found to be useful.  We can certainly add that back in next week.

1. maven101 profile image72
        maven101posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When instituting Change one should always North Wind the change by prenotification, consumer dialogue, and a clearly stated reason for the change...We have received none of this...

Perhaps with an open discussion, via the forums or newsletter feedback, such changes will become a part of the Hubbers ideas and suggestions making us a part of the change, rather than simple subscribers to a writers website that deigns to make change at will...

2. skye2day profile image69
        skye2dayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the original it stood out. The ease of using hubpages attracts writers to stay put in many cases. The not so technical like myself fit right in. Now it is another step or two. WHO wants more steps? I looked all over to follow a new hubber and I could not locate 'where to follow' so I did not. That is the honest truth. It may take me a bit longer to 'get it' but I have been around over 2 years and I do not get it. Get the hubber score back up it is inspiration for the writer to keep going and improving for a higher mark.

Hugs Galore hubber's.

2. christopheranton profile image64

I have to return to this subject. Unless this page is put back to the way it was it will absolutely ruin hubpages. I follow around twenty people, and was in the process of starting to follow quite a few more. But there is no way, that I am going to start clicking on peoples individual profiles all the time to see if they have written more hubs. It also means that I will probably stop my program of following more writers now. It will only add to an already burdensome workload.
    There are people all over HubPages, now, who are probably coming to the same conclusions as me.
    If anyone shares my view, that this change is disasterous and awful, please post on this forum. If enough people complain, it may be possible to reverse the changes.
    If there is anyone who can defend what was done, and point out any positives, I would be pleased to hear from them as well.
    I doubt there will be many takers for this one however.

3. ubanichijioke profile image75
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

Sir Christopher, the issue you raised is quite important.

I do not like the new changes especially the removing of the follow button, number of followers from it original position to the current position. Even the new follow button is not well placed.

Please, the Hubpages team responsible for this change should please hear our cry.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

You can still follow someone it's just not under the avatar, it's to the left of the avatar in green.

Yes, some of these changes are less than useful.

5. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

I'll talk to Ari about possibly restoring that feature (it might have been done away with because very few people were using it), although far more people are now making use of the notification digest email, which, in one email, details all the new Hubs published by Hubbers they are following over the past 24 hours.  Have you checked that out?

1. christopheranton profile image64
      christopherantonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason. I have just checked out the 24 hours notification email for the first time. It might do the job as well as the abandoned feature.
      I dont bother so much with emails, as I get so much spammy rubbish.
      But if I just use the "search mail" feature to isolate the mail from HubPages it might solve the problem.
      Thanks for pointing it out.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The 24 hour digest has been perfect for me, since it gives me one condensed email per day to skim through. I follow lots of Hubbers, too, and was feeling overwhelmed with the individual, one-off emails.

Hope the digest works for you, too. smile

6. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

I didn't understand at first what the complaint was about.  I do now.

Although I didn't use it often, I really did like the feature (i.e., the one that was abandoned).  Sometimes I don't take the time to check out Hubs from my daily e-mailed notifications.  The option of checking under Hubbers You Follow was a nice way of being able to catch up with their recently published Hubs if I hadn't done so lately.

But - is there a way to filter the same information from a signed-in Home page? I confess that mine loads so slowly (probably a browser problem), that I haven't taken advantage of all of the features it offers.

Yes, if you want to see only Hubs, you can click the "filters" link at the top, and then choose Hubs from under "Filter by Type."

However, this will include Hubs that people you follow have also chosen to share, so it is a bit more of an expanded list.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, I'll check that out!  (If my browser lets me lol.)

7. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 12 years ago

That is one feature that I used the most .. that is the way i kept track of those whom I followed... the new format has nothing to it but unfollow.. could we please have the old details back ..thanks

8. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Just to add another thought to this mix:  What exactly is meant when we say we "use" this feature?  If I go to the page and peruse it to see if there are any hubs I would like to check out at my leisure, but then don't immediately click on a link, does that count as a "use"?  Or does it only count as "use" if I click on one of the links?  In other words, how do the engineers measure whether the feature has been "used"?

They probably look at both the number of times that page has been accessed (viewed), and also how many click on the links on that page.

9. skye2day profile image69
    skye2dayposted 12 years ago

Jason, please speak to Ari! The hubber score is no longer visable on avitar.  I know for me I had a 100 for a couple of days and now a 99. I have worked extremely hard at hub pages to improve my content and I must say that number is a motivator to do better. I think it is very important for others to see how far a writer has come. Get it back up there. Go back to what was there Ari. If the shoe fits wear it. This new shoe don't fly. Love n Hugs hubbers.

1. profile image0
      Ari Lamsteinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sky2day,

I will add that back next week

Ari

10. christopheranton profile image64

Thanks everyone for your contributions, and especially so to Jason and Ari for explaining the new arrangements so well. I feel more at ease with the whole setup now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)