Poetic competence

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (18 posts)
  1. breathing profile image47
    breathingposted 12 years ago

Do you think only living in rural and rustic places makes poets
    more competent than those living in urban?

1. MichaelStonehill profile image60
      MichaelStonehillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It depends. Rural places may help to arise a better sense of simplicity and harmony. However, without a proper education and a good knowledge of language, it is not enough. However, in my opinion, most modern poetry can hardly be called poetry, and one of the reasons is that the urban modern way of living is usually machinery, artificial and rather noisy. I suggest you to read the Prelude (1805 version) by William Wordthsworth who elaborated on your question more than any other poet.

2. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 12 years ago

No. Location has nothing to do with either competence or poetic vision.

1. breathing profile image47
      breathingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I mentioned poetic competence not any other competence that is indifferent to place senses. All creative famous writers(poets or any other) existing in the world since the introductory period of literary writing have proved that nature and isolation can only give the real atmosphere of creating literature that includes poetry. How can city or urban life provide that kind of silence, natural isolation and calmness?

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I think poetry can be inspired by both a feeling of inner calm or feelings of inner turmoil as well as inspiration from a location.  The important factor is the way these emotions are used in the making and creating of art and poetry.

Both the ancient and modern poets can harness these different emotions and fashion them into poems that others can relate too.

To me poetry is at its best when in words someone conveys to another person a 'picture' or an emotion that sparks a feeling of recognition.

So, in answer to your question a quiet rural location can inspire but so can other landscapes. Also you can have a person with inner calm living in a city and likewise a person with inner torment living in a rural setting.

Thomas Hardy was a poet as well as a writer, in the story of Tess of the D'Urbervilles he seems to be describing a tranquil rural landscape but what befalls young Tess is the almost opposite.

4. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

No I believe a true poet can find inspiration any where, it does not matter about location...

5. kittythedreamer profile image74
    kittythedreamerposted 12 years ago

Not necessarily, but I could see how the countryside could bring about more inspiration and a sense of calm and peace as compared to a busy city life.

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

I think that a poet can be born, raised and write from anywhere , I don't know how you could think a city boy can't write poetry. The city on a sunday morning , The glow of streetlights in the snow, the mists along the river as the morning begins , in the park watching the children play and the din of childhood chatter near a school. The answer is NO.The competence of the writer or poet is a gift that can be realized from anywhere. As well as the incentive for song, peace and tranquility comes from within as does turmoil and drama .!

7. R.S. Hutchinson profile image71
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

No. Love or lack of love is what makes a poet.

8. Adekayero Tutuola profile image60
    Adekayero Tutuolaposted 12 years ago

well, location matters very well and i saw someone post love or lack of love issue.The emotions of love or loneliness matters too. I'm a poet and i know what i'm saying. In most cases, poets in the rural kind of thrive in poetic eloquence than the one living in the urban because of the scenery, beauty of nature and the atmosphere that do help the muse of we poets.To be sincere,whenever i arrive in school,i feel nature because the university where i study is not in the city where nature really thrive and it just seems to me like a 18th century times because hardly do we have electricity in our private residence. So, the moonlight is our source of light in the night in accordance with the stars which the beauty in nature makes us to see.But whenever i'm at home in the city.maybe on holiday or visit, to write a poem becomes hard for me.It seems as if my poetic inflow is locked.Guess this is it though.Why not?When you see smoky, noisy and boring environment where you can't see birds whistling,squirrels playing and so on;it really sucks but location do matters.

9. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

How can it make a difference , if the soul is poetic and the desire to write is strong it can't matter where you live or get inspired!

10. Jonathan Janco profile image60
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

I have known quite a few urban poets so I dont agree with that at all. Some people love to write about nature, this is true. But people are also part of nature and in big cities you will find many, many people acting very candidly (i.e., according to their nature). I have heard some excellent poetry readings in NYC, Bridgeport, CT, Scranton, PA, and others densely populated cities. Like ahorseback said, I think a great poet can be born and live anywhere, and what makes a poet competent is his/her passion, conviction and ability to feel his/her own work and its validity.

11. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 12 years ago

I don't think it makes a difference when it comes to the "poetic competence" issue.  What makes for good poetry is such a matter of taste and opinion that I would challenge anyone to come up with a standard definition of "poetic competence".  It makes a world of difference in the perspective and experience from which every poets draws, of course.

12. ubanichijioke profile image74
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

A true poet makes something out of nothing. He takes advantage of his environment whether rural or urban. I stand to be corrected.
    Thandi

13. Hunbbel Meer profile image76
    Hunbbel Meerposted 12 years ago

I agree with ubani. There is no hard n fast rule for a poet to be competent, he must belong to either area. A true poet can come out of nowhere, he uses his environment, creativity, imagination and expression to his full potential and with utmost supremacy.

14. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

It doesn't matter. I live in a high rise tenement with a nagging wife, four screaming kids and an incontinent relative.  We have a rock band in the room above and drug dealers next door (always busy).

Here's my answer to you in poetry.

Tenement Poetry

You ask me
    if you have to live in the country
    to do some poetry.
    I say no.

I hope that settles the argument once and for all.

15. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I wrote poetry in Esperanto a while back and won some major prizes for it (well major to the Esperanto community = big fish in small pond smile ). Two of my most successful poems were about the London Tube and "midnight in the metropolis", respectively.

Oh, and I stopped writing poetry when my life became more "calm and peaceful". My poetry was born out of various states of turmoil.

16. TexasBobby profile image65
    TexasBobbyposted 12 years ago

I feel location isn't very important at all. I love to read and write poetry, but if i need to be in a specific place to write, i.e. city or country, I just close my eyes and my imagination will take me there. Hmm... What are my requirements then... My gut, my heart, and a place to copy my thoughts.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)