Taking shower everyday or not

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

We nomally take shower everyday for comfort and spiritual look, but doctors have advices that showering too much, like everyday, will hurt horny tissue of skin, and so to lower immunity. What do you think?

1. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I take a shower everyday and sometimes even twice. I have nice skin and it isn't effected, we can't always listen to a doctor when it comes to hygiene.

1. recommend1 profile image59
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

How would you know if your 'nice' skins 'immunity' has been compromised ? 

Chinese doctors typically blame too much showering (and too much soap) when any westerner goes to the hospital with a rash, itch or any other skin ailment.  I am a westener and would stink if I didn't shower, but I always take heed of Traditional Medicine advice and use a rough wash cloth and no soap most of the time.

I would take heed if I were you, 'nice' skin or not,Chinese medicine is proven to be far more effective than western in resect of skin ailments.

Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wo, you must know a lot  about and is kinda a fan of Chinese traditional culture. Actually, at least I think nobody loves Chinese culture than I do, but I still think we should be careful to say "far more effective". (very pleased that you believe in it). Chinese medicine and western medicine have different thinking ways and systems. Chinese medicine emphasizes more on to prevent than to cure, and harmony between nature and human body, which is really precious asset from ancient people. This showing problem that doctors and my mum recommend is totally on board, but we live in ordinary life with various ordinary jobs, so only want friends remember and be careful about some ordinary problems.

1. 2besure profile image80
            2besureposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the comments on Chinese medicine.  China is about 4000 years old, compared to America being a few hundred years.  Do you think the Chinese have discovered some things we don't know about?

My sister had been going the chiropractor and doctors for over two months for back and hand problems.  One hand was constantly swollen and she had to wear braces.

She went to a Chinese Dr. and he put some ointment on her wrist and covered it and told her to leave it there for 10 hours.  The swelling went done and she has not had any more problem with it.

Bathing is a personal thing and people tend to do what is most comfortable for them.

2. Greg Sage profile image40
      Greg Sageposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the best thing about writing on the internet is not having to smell your peers.

1. AEvans profile image70
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lolololo!big_smile

3. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm curious Hui, do you think we should? If you do why?

I only take a shower 1nce a day if i'm spending outside time in hot areas like S.Florida that cause me to sweat alot.

If I'm on the West coast of the USA where summer temps are in the hi 60's low 70's, and I'm not doing strenuous work, I shower 2 times a week. My skin is fine.

I can see no reason for showering so often unless ya just like to do it.

It does feel good if ya have a nice big shower head and warm, not hot water.

If you make love once a day, that's a good reason to take 2 showers a day...before and after...smile:

Qwark

I totally agree on all things you said here, and I also take shower once per day, but we have to admit doctors' advices are believeable. Health is a long-term matter. Chinese medicine emphasizes more on to prevent than to cure, which is reasonable, right? But this is ordinary life, so I don't know... Ha, nice to meet you!

4. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Really? I usually take two or three showers a day because I spend a lot of time outside in the garden and I live in Miami, Florida.
      But now that you're telling me this, I might have to cut it down to twice a week, like Earnest. I don't want to harm my natural horniness!!!

Not necessary to cut back too far, the best answer is to use soap less frequently and scrub yourself with a rough cloth instead, it not only avoids chemical drying it is excellent exfoliation making you feel smoother and softer and kinda squishy and lovely and  . . . . . that seems to deal with the horny issue as well !

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  ...not sure if soap really has anything to do with it...or maybe it does?

...."here comes the sun...sun, sun, sun, here it comes...."

Happy Solstice everyone!

Your soap, specially those stinky bubbly liquids are just a bunch of mostly harmful chemicals kiddo !  Now a good rub down . . .

2. profile image0

You furry creatures barely take a bath! Are you telling me this is how you keep your horny nature in check? lol

You pink blobby things only take a bath because you don't sit out in the rain any more !!!!   you think your puny little powershower is any match for a 4 month monsoon season !!

5. deblipp profile image62
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Showering is contextual. If you're dirty, go ahead and clean up! Lots of people shower when they're *not* dirty, though. If you haven't worked outdoors, or gone to the gym, or otherwise gotten sweaty or greasy or sooty, then it's okay to skip a shower from time to time.

6. KyleBear profile image57
      KyleBearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What exactly do you mean by "horny" tissue of skin?

7. Greg Sage profile image40

I find it's important in being prepared... either for alone time with SO, or for work day.  It's at least as useful for a ritual as it is for hygiene. 

I knew a guy once that was up, showered, shaved, and in a business suit by 7am every morning.  Ridiculous?  Maybe.

He retired with his house paid off, 4 kids' college funds filled, and retirement fund set at the age of 42.

1. Greg Sage profile image40

Wow... talk about an editing mistake changing the whole tone of the material... apparently I somehow deleted without noticing the part about him working from home and never needing to leave or meet anyone.

haha... not nearly the same without that bit.

8. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have taken one and sometimes two showers everyday for the past 35 years. I have very good skin and because I'm usually doing one sport or another most days, I think it is imperative to clean yourself well to keep your pores in your skin open and clear.

2. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 12 years ago

Don't stand upwind of me, that's all I ask lol

The difference is that Chinese generally do not have any body odour.  On a 30 seat bus with 60 people in it at, the end of a hot working day, there is still no body odour unless it is from me or another westener - whether we showered in the morning or not !

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I noticed this too.

I don't smell bad for at least 2 days unless I am working physically according to my nose and those of intimates, and I am Caucasian, so maybe it's diet as someone said..

Yes - I think it might be diet.  I seemed to lose my body odour for about a year, in that time I was 'immersing' myself in Chinese culture, living with Chinese family and eating only Chinese food tothe order of my Chinese friend.  I don't think I visited a western food restaurant, or had it in my house, for the year.  Now we eat western food outside once a week, and if I cook I have regressed to cooking quick western meals, so we are eating it twice a week.

I think it is the huge amount meat we eat in comparison, in conjunction with the way that meals contain all kinds of extra stuff that is 'good for me' in varous ways, and the selection of foods that are cooling or heating depending on our condition.

You two are right. I noticed this too, and for a long time I want to ask why? It may be about "diet", or may be about "race". Anyway, it is true.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Once a day during winter and twice during summer. During summer, I wash my body and hair in the morning and at night, I just take a body bath.

I don't wash my hair twice a day bec it will dry out.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
        prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

is it genetics, culture or food intake

3. timorous profile image80
    timorousposted 12 years ago

I think it depends on a number of factors.  Your level of strenuous exercise, the ambient temperature and humidity, your diet and general health.  If the first two are relatively low, and you maintain a fairly healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables, fish and such, and very little meat, and get a good night's sleep, then 2 showers a week is probably enough.

Most people can usually tell if they emit a noticeable body odor (or someone may be brave enough to tell them smile.  If this requires a daily shower, then you need to look at your diet.

You're also washing away some useful antibodies with each shower.

1. qwark profile image60
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was a kid my parents left and I and my sister became foster kids.
      There were 13 children in the home.
      They were the best years of my childhood. My foster parents were loving, fair and involved.
      Every Sat. was bath day. 2 kids at a time in the bathtub. It was fun and we looked forward to Sat.
      My foster parents kept a clean home and all the kids had daily chores. When chores were done it was play time.
      For many years after that I only took 1 bath a week.
      it wasn't Until I enlisted in the Air force that nightly showers became necessary to my life.
      It stayed that way all my working life until I retired.
      I'm doing 2 showers a week unless i've been working outside in hot weather. Then sometimes 2 a day...smile:
      Qwark

I think it is partly a matter of living habit, partly a matter of living standard. Don't you think bad habits grow with the increase of standards.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

I had a shower once...didn't like it.

My daughter's Kelpie cross bitch had the best idea.
    Roll in a cow patty, or something else inviting and turn the boys on with perfume. smile

5. profile image0
    fit2dayposted 12 years ago

I think all the chemicals in most commercial soaps are the culprit, there's too much anti-bacterial soap on the market, which destroys the skins natural defense barriers.

If soap was simplified, without so many harsh chemicals and additives, people would probably have healthier skin as a whole, with less premature skin aging.

6. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I used to take a shower every day until a $500 water bill popped through the door (cost for 2 months).
    Now...not so often. You turn our taps on and can smell the chlorine in the water so it can't be good for us anyway.

7. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Well, I shower every morning whether I need it or not, because it makes me feel good.  Sometimes I take a nice hot bath at night because it helps me relax.

1. profile image0

... while thinking about Kip Winger!
      lol

8. profile image0
    Valemanposted 12 years ago

I know it is usual to have a shower everyday nowadays, but I find that if I do this I come out in a rash and my whole body itches.  I have tried shower gel for sensitive skin, but it makes little difference.

Try using the rough cloth rub down instead of soap or gels - my wash cloth is a little like one of those knobbly cotton tea towels and scrubs as clean as soap..

9. Gobi Obi profile image57
    Gobi Obiposted 12 years ago

you have to in summer, imagine the smell if one did not shower at least once a day in summer. Its vile thinking about people who don't wash in the hot season.

10. smanty profile image58
    smantyposted 12 years ago

My cousin actually stopped using shampoo and only used soap every other day, and the first month, he was generating a lot of oil, but after that he said he felt as normal as he would have if he took full showers.

11. psf profile image68
    psfposted 12 years ago

I usually take shower at least once a day, irrelevant to the weather conditions, it is a part of our daily routine. It makes my body and mind more fresh and gives me a good day at the office or wherever I go. Exception is only when I am sick and physician suggested so.

In my native, people usually follow this as a custom and find it is odd if someone is not following this smile
    Even after I reached Canada, I did shower during extreme winter season. If I skip this in a day I feel very uncomfortable.

12. Misty_lake profile image60
    Misty_lakeposted 12 years ago

I have horribly dry skin and thin hair that hates being washed. If I chose to shower everyday the natural good oils that the hair and skin have would never recover. I do ok showering every other day, and even then I have to use a lot of shower oils and replenishing soaps.

This is part that Chinese doctors say: too much shower will put oil out, natural oil that body needs.

13. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

No DR. will determine how often I shower, he's not the one who's gonna feel icky if I don't.

What I do to compensate for the loss of natural oils is to use olive oils and other essential oils just after showering and bathing.

14. profile image53
    blueyankeeposted 12 years ago

Showering every day,
        Of course I shower every day and usually in the mornings or late at night. I am a sweater so it really makes little differen
    ce when I shower.When leaving the shower and drying off I begin to sweat just as much as I didnt take a shower at all.
        Its not easy not to sweat and so in no time its just as before.This has been a lifetime problem and I am 67 now.

15. profile image0
    gulnazahmadposted 12 years ago

I use to take shower everyday and sometimes even twice a day I can not live without it. Now you are saying its not good for skin but what should we do about the sweating. One can not avoid bath when you are stinking;-)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)