ways to promote our hubs- feel free to jump in

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Rotem profile image58
    Rotemposted 14 years ago

in this thread we can help hubers and ourselves to promote hubs, so how can we do it?

facebook.com
    twitter.com
    stumbleupon.com
    reddit.com
    myspace.com
    digg.com
    blogs/sites

feel free to join....

1. profile image48
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally Digg and Stumble are crap, they will get you traffic but no clicks. Just post to hubpages and hubs will generate you traffic plus get you listed high on the google rankings. Those sites take your google ranking before you, just have patience and let your hubs rise in the rankings and they will. You seriously dont need any other site than hubpages.

2. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

facebook.com
    twitter.com
    stumbleupon.com
    reddit.com
    myspace.com
    digg.com
    blogs/sites
    threats
    manipulation
    exploitation
    big_smile

3. LondonGirl profile image80
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

With all the social sites, you have to be REALLY CAREFUL about promoting your own stuff. Most of them don't like it.

4. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Blogging about your own hubs or hubs you enjoy might be the safest option.  Plus if you have a blog on blogger you do get traffic, so it is not all that bad.

5. beermugworld profile image56
    beermugworldposted 14 years ago

Depending on the hub topic I sometimes write a short article to promote it. I then submit the article to ezinearticles or goarticles. This is not a sure fire way of more traffic but it does help to spread the word.
    Another idea is to post in forums related to your hub topic. Just be careful of Terms of Service as some forums do not allow promotion.

6. Trekkiemelissa profile image66
    Trekkiemelissaposted 14 years ago

I've been using gather to promote my articles.  I even have a group set up over there called onlinewriters.

7. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I use Q & A at yahoo! and Answerbag, forums, but also heard some use traffic generator programs like Trafficswarm. I would like testimonials first though, lol. tongue I post on related but non-competitive blogs too.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

From what I know, Google don't like Trafficswarm. So I wouldn't use it on any sites or webpages that has Adsense on it.

2. lyla profile image60
      lylaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

DS..please can you suggest some forums?Thanks!smile

8. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

Ask
    AIM
    Bebo

Buzz
    Delicious
    Digg
    Diigo
    Email
    Facebook

Faves
    Favorites
    FriendFeed

Kaboodle
    kIRTSY
    Link-a-Gogo
    LinkedIn

9. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I use the following:

Tagfoot. I wrote a hub on it. In addition to the excellent tools and slick design the community is fun and friendly.

I run an article link directory called Squoogle. It accepts hubs. Before submitting anything be sure to read the 'submission rules' (there's a link to it on the Add Links page). Anything not making the grade does get rejected.

CopyTaste doesn't even require a registration to post a page. But I have registered. I post an original paragraph and embed a link to the corresponding hub. eg: http://www.copytaste.com/pp25371q

If I've got content leftovers from editing my hub, I use the scraps for the descriptions on the above submissions. It's worth the effort using something fresh in your blurb. If I have a lot of leftovers I'll publish a lens with a big fat link to the hub I'm wanting to promote. I then go a little further and promote the lens at Lensroll.

My suggestion is, don't copy and paste your intro for all (or any) of your descriptions when creating backlinks. Make each one unique so every one will count.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57

Hey DS smile thank you. I was never sure of that Tswarm tongue lol ...am glad you shared the info and your great tips! smile

11. darkside profile image65

If you can, publish an article at EzineArticles.com

I've been signed up there for over a year and have only just published my second article. The first was to get a backlink for my flagship hub on Free Antivirus Programs. This newly approved one is for my Capstone Hub about the Roman Empire.

I put in a fair bit of effort to write Pompey the Great. And that effort looks like it'll pay off. In my acceptance email (I got it between posting this reply and posting the last one) it says that the article will appear on the (high-traffic) home page within 48 hours. I'm not sure how often they do that, but I'm not complaining! big_smile

12. Dame Scribe profile image57

Congratulations DS! smile that's awesome and you are a fantastic writer. I love stopping by and reading your works.

13. MotherHubber profile image60
    MotherHubberposted 14 years ago

Thanks for all the useful information, everyone.  I have been pondering this for a while - I just feel like I could be better promoting my hubs, but wasn't sure what the best use of my time would be.  Will check the sites you all mentioned.

14. DeskCoder profile image42
    DeskCoderposted 14 years ago

Squidoo
    Article Directories
    Blogs
    Commenting on Blogs
    Yahoo Answers

Link from one Hub to the other

15. Jezzzz profile image43
    Jezzzzposted 14 years ago

I think the social sites are going to start to not accept hubpages pretty soon.  I am more for blogging, digg, article marketing, directories.

16. darkside profile image65

I've just finished writing this hub on the HubPages Traffic Bonus which has some of the tips I've mentioned in this thread already plus a dozen more.

17. Dame Scribe profile image57

I highly recommend DS's Hub get read too smile indepth and direct smile thank you DS.

1. BristolBoy profile image61
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that, definately worth reading.

18. BristolBoy profile image61
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

One other site that I have heard is quite good and I have just started to try out is Infobarrel (that is an affiliate link and this is the non-affiliate link although you don't lose anything by signing up through me, I just get a little bonus.  It is a bit like Squidoo and Hubpages and they revenue share in a similar way to Hubpages do (eg you submit your Adsense ID).  If you write articles on linked topics you can link from here to your hubs and shoudl hopefully get a few more views.

19. fortunerep profile image68
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

I have found that Yahoo answers is a great place, if you are answering a question on a subject you have written about and list your hub page url as your source.  I got 63 hits from yahoo answers last night, on one hub, a far cry from hubpages, but were all writing for the challenge so I understand that and the fact that I write completely off base of others and I do not include sex in any of them.  Why does that bother me so much?

1. profile image48
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yahoo answers is a good place to get an idea for a hub and also a good title, helps you get an idea what phrases people are searching for.

20. Gordon Hamilton profile image95
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

The Internet is referred to as the World Wide Web for a reason. Imagine a spider's web and all the links which form it. Google even refers to its indexing tools as, "Spiders."

Success on the Web is largely dependant upon links - both providing them and acquiring them. We provide relevant links out from our sites and pages and do all we can to acquire what are referred to as, "Backlinks" - ie, links linking to our sites/pages from elsewhere. This gives the spiders crawling material and hugely boosts our standing with the search engine indexers.

Social bookmarking sites tend to have a very disfavourable view of what they perceive as, "Spamming." This would include adding a lot of Hub Page URL's and nothing else.

Try using such as Helium, Squidoo, Associated Content (only if you are US resident) or Gather (US residents only, once again) in order to link to your Hubs. The difference it will make is profound.

Yahoo Answers is under-rated by a lot of people. Traffic is gleaned not only in the short term from the link provided, but in the longer term from the boost the page receives within the Yahoo search engine mechanism.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Associated Content pays out to non-US residents. Just that we can't partake in all the payment plans.

And Gather allows non-US residents to use the site and accrue points. They might not be paying out points for gift certificates and Paypal at the moment, but that could change (I've exchanged emails with them over that). In the meantime though it's an excellent place to publish for a backlink and traffic (and I have my points converted into Gift Certificates for an aunty who lives over there).

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All links in Helium articles are no-follow, so they're not really worth doing.

1. Janet21 profile image81
        Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think if a link sends you traffic, whether it is follow or no-follow, it is worth it.  No-follow is only an issue when  it comes to backlinks.  If a site can send me real traffic and visitors, then I don't care of the links are no-follow.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's true, but there are enough sites where you can write articles which will give you traffic AND backlinks, so why waste your time with a site that can give you only one or the other?

1. Janet21 profile image81
            Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Point taken.  It would depend on the how much traffic, I guess.  I don't personally use Helium, but was just making a general statement regarding no-follow links.

21. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the advice on Yahoo answers. I just posted one of my hubs in an answer...of course it was directly related to the question.

22. Janet21 profile image81
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

I am not too much into social networking sites. I use mainly my blogs, Squidoo and serious cross-promotion since the majority of my online writing falls into a handful of niches.  Flickr is another great promotional tool.  If you write Hubs on personal topics that you have photos of, upload these photos to flickr and include a link back to your hub.  I get quite a lot of traffic this way.  This would work for recipe photos, travel photos, pet photos or anything like that.  Here is example of what I am talking about, http://www.flickr.com/photos/13698839@N00/3412856171/. 

My Jonas Brothers Birthday hub that is referenced in the link above has already received close to 250 visitors from flickr in a month.

23. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Started a new blog and profile on bebo.  I do not always keep up with my blogs, but a few times a month when I am bored I just add to them.

24. lawretta profile image64
    lawrettaposted 14 years ago

What about word press and helium??? can one use them to get traffic?

25. Dame Scribe profile image57

Plus.....RSS Feeds .... wink don't forget you can post those around too! smile

26. darkside profile image65

It took me two years to figure out how much of a powerful tool Twitter can be when used right: Using Twitter Part 2

27. fortunerep profile image68
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

There are 69500 hubbers as of last week, I use alot of different bookmarking sites that were mentioned but google always beats out hubpages on my traffic stats.  Where is the rest of the community hanging out?
    dori

28. beermugworld profile image56
    beermugworldposted 14 years ago

I am surprised no one has mentioned eHow yet. Maybe there is some secret "Hub Thing" against it but I have found it quite useful. Basically, you write "articles" that are how to based and then publish them. The usually rank fairly well in Google and you can provide links to your hubs. I provide useful information to my readers but offer a more expanded option by linking to one of my hubs or right to a blog I am working on. They also have a payout scale based on your article popularity. Seems like a all around win to me...unless I am totally missing something of course.

29. livewithrichard profile image70
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Promoting you articles on social networks will get you traffic for a short term and the only way to get long term traffic is through organic searches through search engines.  You get traffic through organic searches by placing "seeds" all over the web.  The "seeds" are backlinks. 

After you write a hub, search the blogs for similar topics, and after reading their topic post a comment relevant to the topic with a link pointing back to your hub.  A lot of bloggers will moderate their comments and notify you once your comment is approved. Once approved, you have a backlink.

I wrote hub on another way to get backlinks using online press releases, you can find it by going to  Press Releases
    Getting backlinks will boost up your rankings in the search engines by making your hub more important than those with fewer backlinks, thus getting you more traffic for your optimized keywords.  Our goal is to get long term organic traffic so we can go onto other topics and start all over.

30. lindagoffigan profile image58
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I agree that eHow is an excellent site for How to articles.  I write more for Hubpages because I like the relationship the site has with Google Adsense.  The 100 Hubs in 30 Days caused me to devote all of my writing to Hubpages.  I have written almost 400 hubpages and only 95 eHow articles.  eHow is easier to write for with the spell checker and has an easier way of posting photos.  eHow earning are available without having to click on Google Adsense.  The site is easier to navigate than Hubpages.  Hubpage has a more interactive forum.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)