Thoughts on ' times' are changing the way that people write

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)
  1. 2uesday profile image64
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

One has to wonder if some of the great writers and poets of the past had been given access to the internet and other means of communication - would the great works they created have come into existence?

Or would they have been so concerned and disheartened about ratings, search engines, etc. or reading their emails and text messages that they would have given up and never written anything.

This would (surely) never have rated with Google would it -

"You, Beloved, who are all
    the gardens I have ever gazed at,
    longing. An open window
    in a country house-, and you almost
    stepped out, pensive, to meet me.
    Streets that I chanced upon,-
    you had just walked down them and vanished.
    And sometimes, in a shop, the mirrors
    were still dizzy with your presence and, startled,
    gave back my too-sudden image. Who knows?
    perhaps the same bird echoed through both of us
    yesterday, separate, in the evening...
    You Who Never Arrived."

(by Rainer Maria Rilke as translated by Stephen Mitchell)

Copied from Wikiquote.

Now when no one is ever out of 'touch/ability to communicate' with each other, when more is said than possibly ever before- are we not in danger of losing something that inspires.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Very few were ever published and the passage of time sorted that out. Maybe they will invent computers to sort out the masses of material that
    is now on web.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I was reading a book and it was talking about how certain authors writing styles changed with the advent of the typewriter. So, writing does change with the technology...and not always for the better.

But, writers have always had critics and nay sayers. They just had to learn to ignore them. I think some of the more sensitive might have stopped writing.

By the way, you should check out The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, it is great reading.

4. knolyourself profile image59

" “We don’t see the forest when we search the Web,” he writes. “We don’t even see the trees. We see twigs and leaves.”"
    The complaints lodged in the book I would not lay at the feet of the web. It is how people use their
    minds. If they don't see the trees they wouldn't anyway, with or without the net.

5. 2uesday profile image64

Thank you Uninvited Writer and knolyourself, I will take a look at the book you mention. I suppose the invention of the typewriter did change the way writers created their works, as would the invention of the printing press.

I think that I am beginning to feel rather old fashioned in my attitudes to these things. In some ways the internet has opened up the 'doors' for writing but in other ways the words of writers could be lost and the quality being lost and sacrificed to the quantity.

Thanks again for the book suggestion.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I think the Internet has definitely changed the way people read. They tend to just skim articles, so I've heard. I find myself doing that on occasion too.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image91
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While this may be the case, I think it's also helped in many ways as well.  I see more people reading now versus ten years ago.  Books are available almost everywhere you go - not all of them are great. Products like the Kindle or the Nook make it easy to read anywhere you are.  People are less likely to skim through e-books like they do other online articles.

The internet also allows people to share works with others - which wasn't always historically possible. 

As far as the "times" changing the way people write, that's always been the case.  Go back 100 years and things will read differently from the way they do now.  As technology progresses, so does writing. 

There will always be great writers, no matter what technology brings.. just as there will always be people who desire to read what the authors write.

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I have no doubt that the advancement of technology in itself has hurt the writing world as children who have grown on the internet and who are out future-don't know how to communicate properly. Plus, it is much harder to avoid getting plagerized  on the internet. Add to the fact that the kindle books -and this is true of all art forms as well like musicians-where the availability of e-books online music etc. for amounts like .99 mean that other artists have no choice but to follow suit.

As for classic poetry-no doubt the search engines  would ignore it. I know from my numbers and that of other creative writers on this site, that creative writing  online  not pay your bills. You get paid by the ad click, and people don't click on ads for creative writing.

8. knolyourself profile image59

Haven't watched Ken Burns all that much but his Civil War was taken from letters written by the participants. For me this meant that these farmers
    could write then better than almost all professional writers of today. Probably was only reading, writing and arithmetic. But it was an educational system.

1. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Interesting point.

9. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Poetry changes when online. It's hard to create the mood for the reader. I prefer reading poetry from a book and don't publish my poetry online for that reason. I have included a couple here at HP, but mostly for portfolio purposes. And I don't want my poetry copied.

Ranier is one of my favorites. I love the poem you posted. He has definitely influenced how I write.  Have you read his book, Letters To A Young Poet?  It is so inspiring for anyone who writes poetry.

one of his quotes from the book, which I have copied in my writing journal;
    I know of no other advice than this:  go within and scale the depths of your being from which your very life force springs forth.

I can't compose poetry on a computer. It has to be very quiet, pen or pencil in hand, and a blank sheet of paper. Ha, although once I was in the bath and I had to use an eyebrow pencil and write on a how-to apply eye pencil pamphlet!

10. Haunty profile image75
    Hauntyposted 12 years ago

It might just be me but I don't think an artist creates his or her art to reach audiences, therefore the way the Internet works hardly changes anything. Of course there is the sphere of popular culture, but it is not art.

11. 2uesday profile image64

Thank you all for your sharing your thoughts on this.

rebekahELLE - I will take a look at the book you mention, thank you.

12. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Great writers of the past wrote to satisfy themselves and potentially a small audience of like-minded people.

I think they would not have been too worried about pleasing an Internet audience. The Internet caters to wants of the dregs of humanity, the stupid, that great unwashed mass that prefers video and cartoons to words because these set a far smaller challenge to the few brain cells they possess.

In my mind, art and culture survives despite the Internet, not because of it. Writing for the Internet, it is necessary to sacrifice any trace of discernment or discrimination one may wish to have.

You don't believe me? Take a quick look at the mind-numbing, incorrect dross that is being posted on Yahoo Answers, eHow and About.com - this is the drek that comes to the top of most searches.

13. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I think the Kindle apps are genius. People who normally wouldn't read a 'book' book are reading books on their phones.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)