Is 3D on the decline?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)
  1. mtalbot2987 profile image68
    mtalbot2987posted 12 years ago

Critics are saying that 3D is on the downturn. Given the choice between 2D and 3D movie goers are starting to vote with their feet and choosing the old school option. What do you think, which do you prefer? And where do you see cinema going in the future?

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's really too soon to say for now, as you could make an argument going either way.  On the one hand, you can't say that 3-D is on the decline, as more and more movies are being released in 3-D.  Plus, with the way 3-D tvs have just been introduced onto the market, you can expect to see a lot more 3-D movies on DVD and Blue Ray shelves soon. 

However, on the other hand, you can argue that 3-D is starting to go on the decline.  Films like the "Green Lantern" earned extra revenue because of 3-D sales, but what many people fail to understand is that part of the reason why it's production cost was so high at 200 million was because of the extra money it took to shoot the film in 3-D; which drove up the cost of production, as the film barely struggled to break even.  Therefore, it's a bit of a double edge sword.  On the one hand, 3-D is a rather expensive gamble for any movie, but it can definitely pay off if it works out. 

To be honest, I'm just going to say lets wait and see.  It's too early to tell at this time.  I know a few years ago, I would've definitively said that 3-D was a fad, but after hearing about 3-D TVs becoming more compatible to show 2-D programs as well, and the idea of other channels being exclusively available in 3-D, it does seem it could go either way.  Sure, there's still some things that I'm sure about like Blue Ray being a fad, but 3-D is something I'm just going to say we'll have to wait and see.

2. profile image0
      gabby0506posted 12 years agoin reply to this

After the release of Avatar in 3D, most of the other Hollywood movies began producing 3D movies too. They hardly have any 3D effects. Its just a gimmick to attract crowd. Movies like Rio, POC 4 and a so on have 3D effects only for a few seconds. I rather prefer watching movies in 2D.

2. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 12 years ago

We always go to the 2D showing, unless it is a  movie that is really made better by the 3D effects. For instance, I wish we had seen Avatar in the theater when it was 3D. It seems that every movie now has a 3D version, though, and it just isn't worth the extra price. Smurfs in 3D? I don't want to fork over the money to see that in 2D, much less 3D (with double the ticket price)!

We rarely get out to see adult movies, and when we take the kids to the children's movie options, it is simply too expensive to see the 3D version. Plus, my little four year old has a tiny nose and the glasses won't stay on (and he has a lazy eye so he can't perceive the 3D effect, anyway).

I far prefer the regular 2D effects, and have a feeling that the 3D movies will reduce in the future.

3. PAPA-BEAR profile image61
    PAPA-BEARposted 12 years ago

The BBC is to use next year's London Olympics to debut a new broadcasting technology, Super Hi Vision, that delivers picture quality 16 times better than high-definition television.

In 2012 the BBC intends to erect custom-built 50ft-high screens at three locations around the UK to allow the public to catch a glimpse of the future of television, although consumers will have to wait until at least 2022 before TV sets will be available on the high street.

"When you sit and watch it you really get the experience of being in seat D5 in the stadium," said Roger Mosey, director of London 2012 for the BBC, speaking at the MediaGuardian Edinburgh International Television Festival. "Super Hi Vision might be a better long-term prospect than 3D in some ways a it gives you the feel of being in the stadium.

1. mtalbot2987 profile image68
      mtalbot2987posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do you see this as the long term future for the movies then?

1. PAPA-BEAR profile image61
        PAPA-BEARposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You cannot stop developement, but the problem is always manufactors agree on same stanards, ie vhs or beta. 3D has taken a similar path. Now the BBC has developed what jumps ahead, sets the standard, yes I do see it taking over, wearing glasses would always be a yawn.

4. nflagator profile image69
    nflagatorposted 12 years ago

My thoughts... After seeing Avatar in 2D, I later went and saw it at an IMAX in 3D.  Then I bought a 55" Sony 3D HDTV (which came with the DVD) and I love it. There are only a few 3D movies that have come out since that I have bothered to get or watch.  It's all about the cinematography, the scenery.  No Smurfs for me, but the opening few minutes of Monster House in 3D are incredible!  The leaves blowing in the wind is awesome.  Things like that are what capture your eye in 3D.  Many of the nature movies produced in 3D are simply spectacular.
    As for GOING to the movies, that goes back to the first part of this.  If there is great cinematography and scenery, then I would go to see it in 3D and probably get the DVD too.
    I live in a rural area, which does have a small theater, 2D of course.  The closest 3D theater is a 100 mile round trip.  Unless a theater is part of a big chain operation they will likely remain 2D until the demise of movie theaters, which will probably be in the next 10-15 years.  The advent of downloadable movies from Netflixs and the like will eventually make theaters obsolete.

5. kmackey32 profile image63
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I hate 3d. Them red and blue glasses just change the color for me. Its weird I dont actally see it in 3D just the colors....lol
    Maybe there is something wrong with my eyes, i dont know...

6. PAPA-BEAR profile image61
    PAPA-BEARposted 12 years ago

3D has a shelf life of 2 years. It is a generic 'pink elephant', just like every gadget in the tech world, slowly eating each other out of existence.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)