here comes Irene Florida...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Hurricane Irene poses is threatening the south eastern coastal state and may run up the coast to new England by the weekend.
    those in the Caribbean are feeling her effects already
    check your travel plans...
    i hate hurricanes!

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well it's going to hit hardest in the Carolinas and move up the coast..I can't believe we're already up to the "i's".

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cable channels are starting to get all over this.

The thing is big, bad, and headed right towards us.

3. jennzie profile image71
      jennzieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in PA- I think it's supposed to come around Sunday? Don't like hurricanes much either, but maybe I won't have to go to work on Sunday (don't know how bad it's supposed to get around here)..

2. YadiraE profile image76
    YadiraEposted 12 years ago

I already felt the wrath of Irene. Here in Puerto Rico, there wasn't that much damage, although we are still feeling the wind and rain. I hope that Irene will not cause much damage to the US.

3. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

You guys on the east coast. Wake up! smile

4. paradigmsearch profile image60

It's at Florida.

And state-of-emergency declared in New York.

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have family in NY that are preparing now...I'm nervous..

5. paradigmsearch profile image60

I haven't checked the news this morning. You guys on the east coast still there? smile

6. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

I am pretty fed up
    My eldest went to america on Monday saying don't worry.
    First they landed in Washington and the next day there was an earthquake.
    They travel to New York tomorrow for the hurricane on Sunday
    i am not normally a nervous person but how much is a mother supposed to take when she is miles away on the other side of the very large pond.
    My daughter phoned me to say that they are not in any of the evac zones and have contacted the hotel who say it is ok to come but be prepared to be locked down all day.
    When they leave New York they are heading accross the country so I wonder what California can do to top this!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

100 to 130 degrees Fahrenheit depending on where you go. smile

And I'll see what I can do about scheduling an earthquake for you, what with one being overdue anyway...smile

1. CASE1WORKER profile image61
        CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

so reassuring

Where is he exactly? New York planning to shut down entire transit system Saturday afternoon, EDT.

Airport shut-downs all over the place are a given; it's just a matter of when.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

CASE1WORKER, I can just imagine how you must feel.  Here's the one my sister and I both use when worrying about traveling and grown kids:  "Well, at least they're happy.  Some mothers' kids are in Iraq or Afghanistan."  (Have you used that one on yourself yet?  big_smile  Both my sister and I have found that's about the only way we can put some perspective on it.  It's kind of an old joke with us at this point.  hmm )  (My sister's youngest son lives in San Francisco, so that's a big worry for her. )

If it makes you feel any better; USUALLY when hurricanes head up the east coast (you may already know this) they start to lose some steam.  This far north we do get hurricanes once in awhile, and they can be bad; but for all the times there have been hurricanes "heading up the coast", the majority of times they lose steam and turn into tropical storms (or occasionally, weaker hurricanes).

I heard last night on our weather that if the storm takes the course they think it may, and if it goes just a little west (I think they said), it's most likely going to turn into a tropical storm.

Having said that and having lived here all my life, we get all kinds of blizzards, ice storms, occasional hurricanes, etc. etc., but most of the time people just hunker in and wait it out.  Power outages are often the biggest problem.  (I know none of that made you feel any better.  I wouldn't have made me feel any better if I were in your shoes.  Still, in spite of the occasional storm (and - yes - little earthquake once in awhile  lol), the vast majority of weather-type stuff is more a matter of major inconvenience than anything else.

lisa- feeling a little better thanks, It is probably because if we had a hurricane here it would be really something!
        As for the some other mothers bit- I finished worrying about my nephew in May when he came home from Afghanistan , now worryin as he is in the Falkland Islands!!

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

California will be fine and the news media enjoys getting everyone hyped up here in the U.S. don't worry your son will be ok. The U.S. is always prepared for these every year. They are giving everyone warning ahead of time to play it safe, but there are those who will ignore the warning and those are the ones who normally get themselves into trouble. Ask your son his location and do a google search it will show you are how far inland he is from the ocean in New York. Hope this assists you and I will be happy to send you a mail update on the weather. He will be fine. smile

AEvans- thanks so much. I am sure they will be fine, by the way its my daughter!  You are right, it is best to warn everyone and get them prepared, even if it does turn out to be a damp squib. In the UK we tend to get warnings about bad weather after it has occurred and paralysed industry, roads and raiways!

7. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 12 years ago

Here in NJ I am very prepared. I am so prepared that I'm working on my summaries. Let me see:
    -Guinness: check
    -Guinness: check
    -Guinness: check!

There ya go - all I need!

Ditto the summaries. And the tags clean-up continues.

8. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

There goes Irene Florida....

9. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

Kids ok though New York was a trifle wet.
    They are heading for San Francisco for 3 days then Hollywood for 3 days. Perhaps anyone living in that area ought to take precautions!
    So fat their itinery reads

Washington- Earthquake
    New York - Hurricane/tropical storm
    San Francisco-?

1. Lisa HW profile image62

CASE1WORKER, I just came looking to see how your daughter your made out.  Glad things were OK enough for her in NY.

You know what I noticed about myself after all my "cool, calm, solid" attitude about the storm?  Although I'd been kind of nervous about whether or not a tree would fall on the roof or something; and although I was worried about my kids' residences; I was cool through the whole thing.  THEN, the day or so after, I realized I was being a hyper chatterbox (the way three-year-olds often are).  I know it was probably an adrenaline thing, but - honestly - I wouldn't shut up!!   lol  I didn't know where all that happy and enthusiastic chatter was coming from.  Not only with in-person conversation, but I was on the forums here chatting up a storm for about 30 hours too!    lol   (I guess I must have just been happy to have power back on.   roll)

Maybe there's a "syndrome":  "Post-Bullet-Dodging, Temporary, Hyperactivity Disorder"   (PBDTHD) 

However...   No people or cars were hurt by this, but a tree did fall on the garage of the house where my son lives.   roll

Yes, I know what you mean. I told mu daughter there was no need to ring me, she has rung three times and four sms messages!
        I understand how you feel and am glad all are OK , let's face it the garage can be repaired at some point!

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Glad YOU survived it all too.   smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)