Haunting/Haunted Houses/Ghosts

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I just published a hub about the Amityville Horror. I was forced to categorize it under "Halloween" because it is a "haunting" story. I would like to see a category for haunted houses somewhere *else* so that the content is recognized as ever green and categorized as such. Thanks!

1. JamaGenee profile image79
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I second that, EM.  I just did a hub about an indie film company that made a cult-fave horror flick, and had to put it in "Entertainment - Movies" when a main category "Horror" or "Hauntings" would be much more appropriate.

Looking at the Categories list as a whole, many of the sub-categories would be better as the lead/main.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Maybe a "paranormal" or category with hauntings, spirits, ufos dreams, visions?

Paranormal as a main category would work.  Thanks, Rochelle!

3. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Yes, Rochelle. Paranormal and everything under it.

I wound up putting it in crime since it was mainly about Ronnie Defeo anyway.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

So will the right people see this?  the "Team" who can do something to add it?

5. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I imagine they will, though Paul made an announcement after I posted this lol

6. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
    Fawntiaposted 14 years ago

There is already a paranormal category under Religion & Beliefs, with subcategories for ghosts, UFOs, etcetera. In the future, please use the search functionality if you are having difficulty finding what you are looking for.

I beg to differ, Fawntia, but Paranormal as a sub-cat under "Religion & Beliefs" is quite a stretch. Just my two cents.

FYI, I do use the search functionality.

Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So do I, and so did I when looking to place the hub. That's the only way I can find what I'm going for with so many categories. I was deposited right into "Halloween" because I'm not dealing with ghosts, but a reported haunting.

I also agree with JamaGenee that Religion and Beliefs really isn't the right place for it. It wound up in the right place (crime) but regardless, I think this issue should be revisited by the staff.

2. HubPolice profile image57
      HubPoliceposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  7. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 14 years ago

Wow - The Amytiville Horror takes me back! Certainly nothing whatsoever to do with religion as it is full of more holes than a tennis net but it was a great film.

I will be honest in that I haven't seen the Hub yet (though will check in a minute) but isn't there a section for films (movies) on HP?

Yes, Gordon, there is - under Entertainment.  I know this because that's where I put my own hub about a horror flick made by an indie movie company.  Oddly, there was even a sub-cat for indie movies!

8. mayhmong profile image76
    mayhmongposted 14 years ago

When I published my hub Living in haunted house, http://hubpages.com/_4s51btzfmykm/hub/L … nted-Homes I didn't know what kind of topic to mark it under?! Maybe just an ordinary hubber topic?

EXACTLY MY POINT!

I'm sorry for the caps but I feel as though people are missing the point I'm trying to make.

The hub wasn't about the movie -- not at all. It was about the history of the house, the Defeo murders and the Lutz "conspiracy" if you will. But the house is "known" as a haunted house, not known for the crimes that took place there. I wound up putting it in crime, but it's going to look out of place there.

The story has NOTHING to do with ghosts so Fawntia's suggestion doesn't hold water. I wanted to put the hub in a category where it would be useful and recognized, but that was impossible for me to do, since the necessary category (hauntings/haunted houses) doesn't exist.

And once again, I need to state clearly that I *did* a search for Haunted Houses, because that's where the hub belonged!

1. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
        Fawntiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I apologize if I have upset anyone. When I suggested that "you" should use the search function, I didn't mean anyone in particular. Many people were suggesting that we create a paranormal category, which already exists. So I came to the conclusion that no one had searched for "paranormal" or "ghosts" since no one seemed aware of the existence of those categories (which are easily found via search).

Whether or not paranormal belongs under Religion & Beliefs is a separate issue. Ghosts, UFOs, and all of those things are not established facts, but things that some people believe in and some people do not. So it seems perfectly reasonable to me for those things to be under Religion & Beliefs. But if anyone disagrees, please feel free to explain your reasons why.

As for Everyday Miracles' hub in particular, the issue seems to be that her hub does not fit perfectly into an existing category. That is bound to happen sometimes, particularly for hubs that cross the boundaries of multiple disciplines. It sounds like her hub is about the history of crime in a haunted house, so it sort of belongs under "history," sort of under "crime," and sort of under "ghosts." (You can argue the ghosts thing if you want, but every other haunted house story fits well enough under "ghosts" since haunted means, by definition, "inhabited by ghosts.") In cases like these, you really just have to pick the category that fits the best and live with imperfection. If it would solve the problem, then I am open to creating a "haunted house" category, but I would probably just change the name of the existing "ghosts" category so that it specifically mentions haunted houses.

9. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Fawntia, I'm going out on a limb here, but how do you define a house that is (purported to be) infested by demons? I've always defined that as "haunted" but there are no ghosts involved.

At this point I'm satisfied with the hub being under "crime" though I'm not sure it will get the best traffic there (and therefore benefit both HP and me).

In fact, our ghost category is currently called "ghosts and demons" so for the purposes of our categories it doesn't matter if "haunted" also includes demons.

Okay.

I do see a potential problem here that I think the staff (in general) might need to look at. I have become incredibly bored of digging through categories and sub-categories to find the right one, so of course I'm using the search feature. A search for "haunting" brought up the Haunted Houses in the Halloween sub-category. It was never going to lead me towards ghosts. And I was too exhausted from the writing to think of demons, darnit! smile

Yes, search definitely has its limitations. For many of our categories, we do not have detailed descriptions of what the categories contain. I spent a couple of days writing descriptions for the main categories and most of the second level categories (which was deadly boring), but for third level categories and beyond, we do not have a lot keywords for search to latch onto. I agree that this is a problem. As we add more descriptions over time, search should improve, but unfortunately we don't have a lot of extra time to do this.

For now, the best I can suggest is that you try searching for many phrases related to the topic you are searching for. So, if "haunted" doesn't work, try "ghosts," "paranormal," or any other related words you can think of that might lead you to the right thing. I often have to do this even when using Google to find what I am looking for.

I realize that this can be annoying and time consuming. We have done our best to make it as easy as we can with the resources that we have, but there is admittedly room for improvement. In general, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A few imperfect hub categorizations are not going to make a difference to your success on HubPages. If you are particularly concerned about traffic to your hubs, I would worry more about writing text and adding tags that are appealing to Google. (The hubs with the most traffic generally get it directly from search engines.)

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Okay, I finally get your point, demons are not ghosts of people who previously lived - but come from some other source in the universe.

I don't have a problem with haunting as a category to put it in. To me being haunted, just means by something other than what we typically see every day. Could be ghosts, could be other stuff.

But I do appreciate you angst.

11. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Okay, so I do then have a question: If I had left the hub in the Halloween category, would the search engines have treated it as a seasonal hub?

I wound up doing what you suggested, which is how I got to "crime." I think that's the best place for it, anyway, and I hope to improve the hub in the future. I just, darnit, have to get my hands on some books for research since the internet isn't offering me much on the Defeo case.

No, I don't think so. I don't know exactly how the search engines work (few people do), but I doubt it very much based on what I know.

12. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Thanks, Fawntia!

It's true, who knows how Google and other SEs really work? LOL

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)