Useless "How-TO" columns?????

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. cooldad profile image61
    cooldadposted 12 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5482178_f248.jpg
    Am I the only person who is tired of generic "How-To" columns???
    Like; How to Tie Your Shoe, How Not to Fall For Email Scams, How to Wash Your Hands???
    Or is this what HubPages was designed for?  I'm a little confused here. 
    Maybe that's the easiest way to make money, by posting mindless drivel.  Maybe that's what the majority wants??
    Any thoughts?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Studies say the average web viewer reads at about the 8th grade level.

Does that give you a hint of what they want?

Maybe not - most kids that age already know everything so don't need a "how to" hub anyway! smile

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

They make markets for Google adsense ads.  So if you are interested in having money making ads on your hub, you may want to embrace them yourself.  But thats why there is so many.  They are money makers and get a fair amount of search engine traffic.  Its all about the search engines.

3. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Actually, most websites that are successful, that are NOT news or commentary, are how-to sites.

Just look at eHow or Lifehacker.

4. cooldad profile image61
      cooldadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just posted my own How-To hub about guys at bars.  I wonder if that will make me tons of money (sarcasm)

1. wilderness profile image94

Prob'ly not, but it might get ya drunk! lol

5. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone is entitled to write about something. They are creative minds that choose to write about those things. We will not always like to read what others write. But we have to have love the writer who takes time to do what they love to do best. How-to's now on the Internet is what makes the world go round. Not all children can tie there shoes but they use the Internet. So someone out there is teaching somebody a thing or two. smile

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I think it's good to use it as a reference to avoid writing the same topic but How to's are useful for people that don't know how to [insert activity]  lol I think you can change the appearance of your window - what's to appear remove, etc.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

It's not just on the Internet.  "How to's" have a been a big thing for awhile now in the offline world.  I stopped reading magazines because of them.  I mean..  You get to be a certain age and you pretty know now to balance your checkbook, buy a house or a car, put on your own make-up, remove common stains from common stuff, or (and I love this one in particular) "deal with losing an hour of sleep when one of the year's two daylight-savings clock-changes takes place, and you lose that hour of sleep).

Well... Amazon's publishing program won't even allow "how-to's", so that gives you an idea about the popularity/lack of popularity of them (depending on how someone views it).  In fairness, there a place and a need for SOME of them.  I just think, as with so many other Internet-writing things, people had heard that "how to's" tend to make money and things got a little beyond reason overall.  (I think the media often just uses "how to's" as fillers, and a lot of people emulate what they see on TV and in magazines too.)

I pretty much don't know how to do anything that most other  people don't already know how to do too (or can't figure out on their own, the way I did); so since I'm not expert enough to tell people how to do something I need to learn how to do (by researching), I figure I shouldn't be writing that kind of "how to" anyway.   smile  I'm more guilty of "how I did 'whatever'", which then gets into the murky territory of first-person pieces that either are, or aren't, acceptable (depending on who's judging).  (It also comes across as pretty self-centered too because people don't always realize you're trying to "share what worked for you" and not necessarily expecting more of/from your own "sharing" than that. hmm )

4. Camping with Kids profile image68
    Camping with Kidsposted 12 years ago

hmmm... debated responding, decided no. But then... well it's such a tempting target... so,

If you needed to tie your shoes, but didn't know how, would a how-to appeal to you then? Ok, so there are 876 how-to tie your shoes articles, well, could there be 876 different ways to tie different shoes? oh well.

If you know how to do something, why look at those articles? Should someone who could benefit from a how-to be deprived because you don't think they're needed? (ps. ever use a food recipe?)

I don't need a how-to to tie my shoes, but just recently I did need one on how to change the upper control arm on a 95 Ford Explorer - glad there were several available online. It helped alot. But I wonder if an experienced auto mechanic would have pooh-pahed the writer for bothering to write such an obvious piece?

anyway, should have listened to my first instinct to not respond, you probably just wanted to rant.

GA

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course you should have responded here, and of course you're absolutely right. (My own point above was more about the "how-to's" like "how to deal with daylight savings time" or "how to dress in a way that's most flattering for your shape".  The ones I think a lot of people find out-of-control are the ones that tell people how to do what most people do figure out for themselves - not the ones that give specific information about doing something "the general public" doesn't eventually figure out how to do on its own.)

I don't think your post was at all a rant.  It was correct and had its point.  I kind of think, though, you may have interpreted sentiments similar to mine  as not leaving room for the very useful and worthwhile how-to's that are, when all is said and done, what a good "how to" really is supposed to be.

A how-to on something like dealing with the change at daylight savings time really does stretch it when it comes to thinking people need that kind of "expert advice" on that kind of thing.  Even with something that's relatively useful "like how to dress for your own build" - one or two of those out in the media and on the Internet is kind of enough each year.  We don't need them in every magazine and on every talk show for - like - 30 years of adult living.  The overall need for THAT kind of "how to" really is grossly over-estimated.

2. cooldad profile image61

I think for me, it's about the author's inspiration behind the How-To hub.  If someone is really interested and committed to hubbing about how to tie your shoes, that's great.  But, I think the majority of the How-To's are created solely to generate hits and money.  And I guess that's ok, if that's what people are here for.  But for me, that kind of takes away from the "art" aspect of writing.

5. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Actually, I could use a good "how to tie your shoes" article.  I already know of course, but knowing it and teaching it are two different things.  Especially if the kid you are trying to teach has a different dominate hand than you.

I guess my point is what many of us think of as common knowledge might not be so common to other people.  I didn't mow the grass until I was in my late twenties.  I confess I did look it up on the internet smile From the amount I was laughed at for it, I assume that most people know at a much younger age.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey!  I have a Hub on that (but only sort of), and the reason I do is just for the reason you described:  different dominant hand.  It tells people how to solve the un-tied shoe problem anyway (better than nothing, I guess).   hmm  My theory on the shoe-tying/hand problem is that it presents just enough of a challenge for "other-handed" kids that some of them need another little bit of time before they can overcome their handedness challenge.

2. wilderness profile image94

You never know.  My mother never once put gas in her car until she was in her 70's.  They live in Oregon (no self-serve) and when they left town Dad was always there and did it.  Not until Dad died did Mom ever have to gas up her own car.

Maybe a hub on how to gas up the car?  Take the cap off...put the nozzle in...pull the trigger... lol

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

One of my most popular hubs is How to write a check. I got it from HubPages when they had an idea bank.

1. cooldad profile image61

Seriously?  How to write a check?  Wow, that's incredible.  I just published my own How To hub today, but I don't think it will be overly popular.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

OMG Cooldad, don't sell it short.  It's an awesome hub.  I think it could go viral in the right circumstances.  Great use of a "how-to" to suit your personality.

P.S. I don't give empty complements.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
      IntimatEvolutionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish they would bring that back.  I loved it.

7. TamCor profile image78
    TamCorposted 12 years ago

My "How-To" hubs are my most visited, too.  Mine are more along the lines of how to sew this, or how to cook that, though, so maybe that makes a difference, I don't know... smile

8. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 12 years ago

New technology alone guarantees the existence of many "how-to" articles across the web.

I write these kinds of hubs (not about technology, though).  Some areas of life are complex, and my take is just as worthwhile and unique as some other writer's.

For instance, when I was trying to train my new dog to use the doggie door, I read at least 10 how-to articles.  Then I found my own way of doing it.

9. Shelly McRae profile image70
    Shelly McRaeposted 12 years ago

Perhaps it's the topics that most annoy Cooldad. How to tie your shoes is quite a bit different than How to teach your child to tie his shoes. "How do I" or "How can I" or "What is a" are a common denominator is searches because people are less quick to hire an expert or contractor to do things for them, like install laminate flooring or replace a window awning. I agree with Cooldad that generic topics are off-putting, but a good How To article does make money.

10. SlyMJ profile image61
    SlyMJposted 12 years ago

Hm, well, I recently posted a series of How To's - Rule the World, Make a Million, Become Famous - all with success guaranteed yikes)Do they fail the shoelace test? Off to read How to Recognise a Bar DB. Given I have no idea what a Bar DB is, this should be interesting

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)