Have you ever moved States away?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Sam Dolloff profile image62
    Sam Dolloffposted 12 years ago

How hard was it to move?  Did you have a job and then move? Decided you wanted to move then found a job?

1. Happyboomernurse profile image82
      Happyboomernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

When I was fifty, my husband and I moved from New York State to Delaware. I had a job in NY and he was disabled so his income was fixed. We loved New York State and had many dear friends there, but knew that it would be a wise financial decision to move to a locale where the cost of living and taxes were much lower. Our son was already out of high school and since I was a registered nurse I felt reasonably confident that I could find another job.
      Hardest thing to co-ordinate was the sale of our New York home as we did not want to move until the house was sold. It took about 6 months to sell our old house but in the meantime I did a lot of online research on exactly where to relocate and we made numerous weekend trips to Delaware looking at houses and apartments. I also applied for a nursing license in Delaware and put in a job application with the State of Delaware as their website said it would take several months to process the application.
      Fortunately everything seemed to come together at around the same time and I was offered a job with the state of DE just before our NY house sold. Knowing I would have a job enabled us to make the decision to move to DE even if our NY house wasn't sold yet. Then boom! The NY house sold within a week, we found a new house in DE that was cheaper than the original ones we'd looked at and in a location slightly farther from the DE beaches but in the same town as my new job!
      It's now 10 years later and I'm retired, but making the move to DE was the best thing that ever happened to us. The climate is milder, taxes and cost of living are much less and we still live close enough to the beaches to enjoy the ocean, free concerts, festivals, etc.
      I believe that it's much harder for people to relocate in the current economy which is another reason why I'm glad we made the decision to leave a high cost of living area sooner rather than later.
      The one thing I would stress to anyone considering relocating is that they do as much online research as possible before making ANY decisions. Knowing all the facts eliminates unpleasant surprises and helps one make wise choices. Those on fixed incomes may still find it wise to relocate, or those who are young and just starting out may find it easier to find a job if they're willing to move. Even those with houses and current jobs may be able to work out creative solutions such as renting their house, moving and telecommuting to their old jobs or transfering to a new location.

2. Zabbella profile image75
      Zabbellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I lived in NY most of my life and moved with my two young kids to NJ.
      I did not have a job but was able to find employment.  I learned how to drive  a car ( big transition for me!)
      I had family in NJ so it was fine for me to move out here. A strong family network is great when you are making a major move.

3. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I moved from East Coast to West Coast for a business opportunity my uncle was willing to provide financing for, however, the idiots he selected to do business were just that- idiots.

Once that fell through, I went to work for him at his place of business, after which, my mother ran into problems with things on the East Coast, so I flew back.

4. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Probably generally easier to do when one is young.  Young people don't have much 'stuff' to move.  At 24, I moved from Saddle Brook, NJ to Oceanside, CA.  No job, everything I owned fit into my Triumph Spitfire.  Stayed with people for a few months then got my own place.  $125. a month for a studio apartment on the sand facing the ocean in Carlsbad, CA.  Of course, that was 1974.  I moved because the rent went up to $200.!!

It's not always easy and not always kind, but if you have a sense of adventure, go for it.  Have no fear.  What you need will show itself when you start taking steps in the direction you want to go.

5. Sam Dolloff profile image62
      Sam Dolloffposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow! I am so glad to be reading all your stories!  I am planning on moving from Maine to Virginia and am worried about all the changes and stuff but I think it will be a good thing, I have researched the job market and might have one lined up but it is still uncertain.  We will see I guess smile  Keep the stories comin I love reading them!

6. Fullerman5000 profile image56
      Fullerman5000posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Funny you should ask this because i am actually planning on moving out of the state i have lived for almost 30 years. I am planning on moving to Asheville, N.C. i want a change of scenery and more outdoor things to do. I am hoping with my job i will be able to transfer over there. I am really hoping it all works out.

1. Princessa profile image81
        Princessaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fullerman5000: Good luck with your move.  I am sure that the fact that you'll be able to do more outdoor activities will make your move much easier and more pleasant.

2. fastfreta profile image75
    fastfretaposted 12 years ago

Over 43 years ago my ex-husband and I moved from Georgia to California. He was in the Military, so job, at the time was taken care of. I learned to love my adopted home state, so much so that I don't know if I'll be comfortable anywhere else.  However I'm on the move again, not sure where, so at the moment I'm traveling around the country, possibly to Europe in search of a new home, adventure, or whatever.

1. Happyboomernurse profile image82
      Happyboomernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow. I admire the courage you're showing in moving on to new places and adventures. May you find whatever it is you're seeking.

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

yes I have a number of times by myself..i have written about it.

it's not too difficult if you plan ahead for any and all problems..lol

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I moved 3,000 miles, from NJ to CA, when I went to college.  Having a reason to move and things to do when I got there made it pretty easy.  Over the 4 years of college I slowly brought out more and more of my possessions, and stayed on the West Coast when I was done with school.

Not quite 6 years ago I moved from CA to WA due to it being too expensive to stay in CA.  I had a place to live set-up before the move, and it was that move that committed me to making online writing work for my employment.  I ditched possessions until what I had left fit into a 16' U-Haul truck and just moved with that, making the drive with a friend in one day.

5. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 12 years ago

I assume we're talking about moves in adulthood, right?  I moved from Berkeley, CA to Grand Prairie, TX (just outside of Dallas) when I was 19.  Boy, was that rough.  I was covering my head at the time and cohabiting with a man of color to whom I was not married, so as you can imagine, I didn't go over very well with the locals.  I had a terrible relapse of anorexia, and moved back to the Bay Area after only a year.

Now that I'm a bit older (and, I hope, wiser), I think there are very few places for which I'd move away from the Bay Area.  I lived for a year on the East Coast as a child, in Oxford, England as an adolescent, and spent summers in Arizona, Chicago, and Russia... and none of those places ever felt like they could be home to me.  I think we're really spoiled here, with the amazing diversity of people, lifestyles, and opinions.  I love it.

6. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Between 2007 and 2010, I moved eight times around the UK, for six different reasons. The only disastrous move was when my ex-girlfriend and I moved from Edinburgh to London, as she had a new job. I was self-employed and relocated my (now defunct in the wake of Credit Crunch) business to London. It was literally last minute and we moved by train. We had six suitcases and two backpacks between us and I had torn muscles in my shoulder a few days before the move, so I was effectively one-armed.

The move was so last minute, we had rented a place in West London without having seen it. This was back in 2008 and it was costing us just under £1,000 a month (circa US$1500). It was so small, we couldn't believe it. It was supposed to be "Furnished" and the furnishing consisted of a bed, a (broken!) two-seater settee and a small glass table.

Since we separated, I have moved a further few times and am at this time staying with a family member. In these past few years I have gained experience and knowledge I would never otherwise have known but I have only one overwhelming regret: I no longer have any concept of, "Home." If I think of home, the word has no meaning and one of my biggest ambitions is that it will mean something again someday.

I hope I haven't put you off a move as my circumstances were pretty unique. It is good to see new places and have new experiences. If nothing else, they'll help you write great Hubs!

Good luck with your move smile

7. floating mind profile image69
    floating mindposted 12 years ago

I have moved from state to state a number of times in my life.  For me, moving is always fun.  Going to a new place, meeting new people; … what's not to like.  I have always found the move to be enjoyable.

The majority of my moves have to do with a new job, or a job transfer.  Only once have I moved first before I found a job at that location.  Still, the move was fun.

8. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 12 years ago

I moved from Oregon when I was 18 ... went to GA then got a graveyard job till I could find something better. Moved from GA to North Carolina and applied at the same Resturant I had worked at in GA since I had worked there for several years it was an easy, quick job to get. Moved back to Oregon from NC when I was Thirty - flew to Florida to rescue my inlaws from tragedy - flew back to Oregon Then Drove back to Florida and broke my mother in law out of the nursing home and drove her back from Florida to Oregon. I never really had a job any time I moved but - I'm a daring kinda person like that - I would suggest anywhere you plan on moving that you check the job market - get a good resume out on monster.com - at least have a heads up education about the area your planning on moving to - I did do that each time I moved Good Luck smile

9. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 12 years ago

A little over a year ago we moved from our lifelong state of Minnesota to California.  We moved because of a job for my hubby.  All has worked out well.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I moved to the US from New Zealand.

11. profile image0
    allchatposted 12 years ago

Several years ago i moved from ohio to georgia and lived there for a few years. It was beautiful but now ive been back in ohio since end of 2004. I loved the old war cemeteries and stories of haunted savanna. so i am pretty sure that one day ill move back there. I am an OTR driver so in time ill probably buy property there again smile

12. Stephanie Henkel profile image94
    Stephanie Henkelposted 12 years ago

I've moved several times, but the first big move after I was an adult was from central New Jersey to Upstate New York.  We made the commitment to move before my husband had a job, but somehow, it all worked out.  We sold our house in NJ, bought a house in NY and he got a job that started a few days after our move.  It was quite an adventure as we moved with 3 little boys, a cat, a dog and a pregnant goat!

13. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 12 years ago

I've moved countries several times and I can say that the more you do it the easier it gets.

14. cjcarter profile image72
    cjcarterposted 12 years ago

I've lived in 7 different states over the course of my 23 years and I've (in most cases) loved it. Oregon - South Carolina - Missouri - California - Iowa - Illinois - and now Delaware.

We always have a garage sale before we move, getting rid of anything we don't value enough to take with us.

And while we pack, we get different colors of duct tape to label each box so that we know what room the box goes to when we get to the new house.

Best. Decision. Ever.

15. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

My family moved a lot when I was a child..the biggest and most traumatic moved was from New York to Arizona..with two dogs, three cats..four kids, two parents in a station wagon..yikes
    I've moved as an adult to Florida, Kentucky(twice) Conn. and New York...It does get easier with each one...I've never attempted a cross continent move.
    Moving to other countries when i don't know the language, customs,cultures is very brave of some here..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)