Being Needy....Loosing the Reins on Your Man

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Nerak2Karen profile image61
    Nerak2Karenposted 12 years ago

I have trust issues when my husband goes out of town and don't call me. Am I being unreasonable for being angry when he don't call when he promised to?

1. bell du jour profile image59
      bell du jourposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No you are not being unreasonable, if he says he will call and he doesn't he is not being considerate.  Also if he knows you are missing him while he is away shouldn't he call to check you are ok?

Nerak2Karenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you bell smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You were being unreasonable by putting a restriction on him to have to call you in the first place.

I realize that now. He never been away this long since we been married and I was being paranoid. I admit that I was wrong for saying what I said. I need to get myself together :\ Thank you for stopping by. Have a great weekend.

Oh and I love your profile smile

2. rikabothra profile image62
    rikabothraposted 12 years ago

I do not think it is unreasonable at all, especially when he promised you. Next time he does not call you can call him instead and tell him that you miss him.

Hello Rikabothra...I couldn't call him because his battery died. I am just being ridiculous. Paranoia at its best.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Respectfully, I think just the idea (presented in the thread-title question) of "loosening the reigns" implies a little too much attempt to control another adult's behavior.  Maybe it was just a quick/careless choice of words for the questions and doesn't "mean anything"; but - boy - if I knew someone (like a spouse) mentioned "loosening the reigns" on me, it's not a relationship I'd be willing to be in for too long.

There's asking someone to call because we worry and want to know they're OK, and then there's asking someone to call because we don't trust them.  I think it's reasonable to be upset if we worry, the other person knows we worry, and he doesn't call when he says he will.  (Even then, though, being reasonable about understanding that things can happen can also be important.  For example, the person who says he'll call when "he get's there":  When is "gets there"?  When he's gets off the plane, and maybe after it's already landed later than scheduled anyway?  When he's in the middle of getting his luggage?  When he's trying to grab one a taxi?  In the taxi? On the sidewalk after getting out of the taxi?  In the elevator on the way up to the hotel room?  In the hotel room before or after making a desperately needed trip to the bathroom?   See what I'm getting at?   smile  So, being a little (or even a lot) upset and worried is perfectly understandable, but getting over it is important too.

If he just won't call because he thinks you shouldn't be worried, then it's reasonable to be angry that he doesn't respect you, or the take your worrying about his safety seriously enough.  Then again...   If you worry about his safety so much you expect a grown-up to be calling you every "hour and a half", you're the one who needs to get control of your worrying.

Worrying, though, isn't what you said your "issue" is.  "Trust issues" are.  Chances are your husband knows your requests that he call are a matter of those trust issues - not just your wanting to know he's arrived safely or gotten in for the night safely.  Not trusting him is where, I think, you're the one who might be being unreasonable by then getting angry if he doesn't call when you expect him to.  If he's someone who, in fact, IS trustworthy then never being able to trust him (and expecting to "keep tight reigns" on him isn't always "being needy".  Often, it's being suspicious and overbearing.  If he's a guy that you (and a lot of other people) tend to know "can't be trusted worth a nickle" then you shouldn't be with him in the first place (or should at least accept that he's not trustworthy and stop expecting him to be  hmm ).

If he's a trustworthy person and knows how trustworthy he is, there's the chance he just agrees to call you when you ask him to because he doesn't want to fight over the fact that you're expecting to keep "tight reigns" on him, so instead he may just agree and figure he'll do what he wants to do once he's out of range.   hmm

@Lisa....Your right, what I meant to say didn't come out right. I love the way you speak your mind...you made me think about what I said. He hasn't given me a reason not to trust him. I am just paranoid. Thank  you for your feedback. Have a great weekend smile

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nerak2Karen, thanks.  Enjoy your weekend too.   smile

I'm not always comfortable about that "speaking my mind" thing I do on here.  Then again, (although this isn't what everyone always wants a forum discussion to turn into) I also often wish that more and more people would treat some discussions/subjects as if they were discussions between a couple of offline friends in offline life.  People all think so differently...  I think there's something to be said (at least at times) for really sharing different perspectives, objective thoughts, in online discussions.  Oh well...   Occasionally (often, actually) uncomfortable or not, words seem to be my thing.  They come out in writing.  They come out in offline discussions.  They come out in online discussions.  They even come out when I'm alone!!   lol   I can't help it.   They just keep coming.  lol  lol  (Oh well, I mean well, as they say  smile  ).

I know you do. There is nothing wrong with being truthful wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)