Strange Thing I Noticed After Massiv Drop in Traffic...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. CennyWenny profile image71
    CennyWennyposted 12 years ago

But my Adwords ads are no longer relevant to my Hubs. Ie: a Hub on Anne Boleyn has memory foam ads. A Hub on plants actually has the same ads... My traffic massively spiked at the end of August before bombing 75%to 80%. I've read Silver Rose's theory and I'm hopeful but found the above odd. Any thoughts?

1. PaulPd0 profile image65
      PaulPd0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The tricky thing about Adsense ads is that you can't exactly see what your ads will be for your viewers.

Google uses all the information they have about a person to determine what ad displays in Adsense, so if someone searches rocketships for five hours then looks for plastic forks they will still probably see rocket ship advertisements on the plastic fork page if they use Adsense.

Then again, I definitely know what your talking about and have noticed the same thing quite a bit myself when I take a look at my own hubs - not only are the ads not relevant to the article but they are not relevant to anything I have been searching either..Tricky one.

1. PaulPd0 profile image65
        PaulPd0posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also keep in mind that, although I am not sure who Anne Boleyn is, it is highly unlikely that anyone is purchasing pay per click advertisements using her name as one of their target keywords, so it might just be that they have no relevant ad to display.

2. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Without having any proof or even real evidence, I tend to think that hubs far down in the SERPs get the dregs of the ads for the most part. 

That can mean ads that pay very little or ads that are having a hard time matching anything on the web and are thereby given to you.

You should also be aware that google will, unless you disable the feature, present you with ads based on your surfing history and this can give rise to some funny matches.  In other words, if you were looking at memory foam mattresses and then open the Anne Boleyn hub you could well see adsense ads on memory foam. 

Also, are you sure they are from google and not from HP?  I don't think HP ads tries as hard to always match the subject.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

What kind of high paying products would be related to Anne Boelyn? If you are expecting to earn money, unfortunately you need to have some element of salesman thought in you.
    For example, you can still write about culture or that holiday you went on, just remember to search for popular keywords and think what high paying products are related to it.

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

The others, PaulPd0, Wilderness, Richie, have all made good points.  It is actually difficult to know what ads your viewers are seeing as Google ads will show ones that are partially based on your own viewing history as well as where you are in the country/world, so someone in another town who has just been surfing kitchen appliances might see something totally different to you.

I think google are dependent too on having advertisers willing to pay for ads and there are certainly times when there seem to be better paying ads around.  Whether Wilderness's theory about the higher ranking sites getting better ads, I don't know, it's possible but Google would never admit to it, I'm sure.

I personally would recommend the Hub Ads, over Adsense, they have worked resonably well for me.  I'd like to test more, but things have been so erratic with subdomains and traffic etc, there never seems to be a stable month anymore to carry out any experiments! lol

Back on topic, I don't believe any of the advertising issues are related to the issues with up and down Google traffic, though.

4. QuestionMaster profile image79
    QuestionMasterposted 12 years ago

For Ann Boleyn  you can advertise the movie via Amazon as well as use tags such as "history" to increase the chances of things like History Majors at college or history books coming up in Adsense adverts. Might work!

5. CennyWenny profile image71
    CennyWennyposted 12 years ago

Sorry, perhaps that was a bad example. My historical hubs aren't commercial and I don't really expect them to be money makers. I suppose, like many people, I'm butting my head against a wall at this point trying to figure out what's going on when I just need to leave it alone! Trying to find some sort of correlation, you know:)

6. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

The locality of a person viewing your hubs will also determine what style of ad appears, adverts about iPhone's will be from Telstra or Vodafone for me in Australia and most likely from AT & T or Verizon for those viewing from America, for example.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)