Why fear GOD?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 12 years ago

I’m amoug the 10% people who are fearless. To fear more than love like for most people do, is to suffer.

where threating Fear come from
    1.    Psalms34:9 "Oh fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him"
    2.    Psalms34:7-25:12-31:19- 103:13 Proverbs19:23
    3.    "Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way that he should choose
    4.    Psalms 112:1-2 Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
    5.    Psalms25:14 "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him,
    6.    Psalms 33:18  "Behold the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy"
    7.    Psalms85:9 "Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, that glory may dwell in our land"
    8.    Psalms 103:11 "For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;"
    9.    Psalms103:17 "But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children's children."
    10.    Psalms 111:4-5  He has given food to those who fear Him;
    11.    Psalms115:13 "He will bless those who fear the Lord, both small and great"
    12.    Psalms128:1-4 "Blessed is every one who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord."
    13.    Psalms145:19 "He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
    14.    Proverbs10:27 "The fear of the Lord prolongs days"
    15.    Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord there is strong co
    16.    Proverbs 14:27 "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life,
    17.    Proverbs 15:33 "The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom
    18.    Proverbs16:6 fear of the Lord one departs from evil."
    19.    "The fear of the Lord leads to life,
    20.    Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life."
    21.    Proverbs23:17 "Be in the fear of the Lord all the day"
    22.    Ecclesiastes8:12-13  who fear God, who fear before Him. But it will not be well with the wicked; nor will he prolong his days, which are as a shadow, because he does not fear before God."
    Ecclesiastes12:13-14 :Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all."

NO Reason for fear with time, love and understanding
    Why fear? Because God loves you. Is not a good enough answer.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image81
      Slarty O'Brianposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Critias fragment, from Sextus Empiricus,
      ADVERSUS MATHEMATICOS ix 54
      (trans. R. G. Bury, rev. by J. Garrett)

A time there was when disorder ruled   Human lives, which were then, like lives of beasts, enslaved to force; nor was there then reward for the good, nor for the wicked, punishment.

Next, it seems to me, humans established laws for punishment, that justice might rule over the tribe of mortals, and wanton injury be subdued; and whosoever did wrong was penalized.

Next, as the laws held [mortals] back from deeds  of open violence, but still such deeds were done in secret.

Then, I think, some shrewd man, first a man in judgment wise, found for mortals the fear of Gods, thereby to frighten the wicked should they even act or speak or scheme in secret.

Hence it was that he introduced the divine. Telling how the divinity enjoys endless life, hears and sees, and takes thought and attends to things; and his nature is divine, so that everything which mortals say is heard and everything done is visible.

Even if you plan in silence, some evil deed, it will not be hidden from the Gods: for discernment lies in them.  So, speaking words like these, the sweetest teaching did he introduce, concealing truth under untrue speech.

The place he spoke of as the Gods' abode was that by which he might awe humans most,-- The place from which, he knew, terrors came to mortals and things advantageous in their wearisome life -- The revolving heaven above, in which dwell the lightnings, and awesome claps of thunder, and the starry face of heaven, beautiful and intricate by that wise craftsman Time,-- From which, too, the meteor's glowing mass speeds and wet thunderstorm pours forth upon the earth.

Such were the fears with which he surrounded mortals, and to the divinity he gave a fitting home, by this his speech, and in a fitting place, and [thus] extinguished lawlessness by laws.

2. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Haven't you heard? They use a different meaning and turn fear in to love. smile
    It is crazy isn't it? :LOL:

Castlepalomaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh I get it now.

In my world, the 10% fearless people of the world are emotional intelligent enough to know that fear is explained through love, work, time and understanding.

Where the criminal scared straight to GOD program gives you two choices in life, Obey or have eternity torture. They promises you God's perfect world yet deliveries most of our pollution, prisons, wars, Sodom and Gomorrah lifestyle here on earth.

The big bad boys of the greedy rich found a way to tooled and rigged Religious none sense of the unknowns to control the masses. It started with the smartest man in the cave back 30,000 years ago who made up nonsense crap to be in power, much like a politicians and the greedy of today. God assumedly wrote only one book, (wrong), to frighten and control the weak minds of the masses. The USA with their 85% Christian and 45% of them think that dinosaurs started about 10,000 years ago., where most of the world thinks, man started 180,000 years ago
      US threats 200 countries with their US military bases in them. Then  when the time comes these very nice guys hold the world at gun point to force their point of view on to the world, if you don’t get it.

An honest, harmless healthy soul has no need to frighten people with false promises and exaggerated truths and nobody needs to fear an all loving God.

3. profile image0
    Holmes221bposted 12 years ago

I've never been impressed by a god who demands people fear Him.  The fact that the Old Testament describes such a god is evidence to me that this is entirely the work of man, not God.  Most moral people would not demand that others fear them though, so, the writers of the biblical books must have had a very different idea of morality.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Christian God has repeatedly proven himself to be with few morals, even to the point that He could be considered to be amoral; with morals of any kind. 

It is interesting to note that as mankinds morals have improved over the millenia, Gods works and actions are often either forgotten, ignored, or "interpreted" to be something that they never were because those actions are no longer considered as moral.

4. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I sort of understand it from a parenting point of view. And God is supposed to be the father right?  My kids don't fear physical harm from me, but they do fear how they will be punished if they disobey one of my rules. Since I know my children, I know what they fear most.  That's usually exactly what I do.  (I've actually had my children beg me for a spanking rather than my "creative parenting" solutions)

I still love them, they still love me.

1. Evolution Guy profile image58
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Of course you are OK with fear to motivate your children to do what you want, because you are religious. This is one of the many reasons I do not like your religion. God does not exist. So - making children fear it makes no sense.

Educating them as to why they should do as you wish in certain circumstances will lead to a far more well rounded person, because - if they are simply afraid - eventually - they will rebel. I know - I was one of those kids.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
        MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi EG!  I'm all out of popcorn today, but I'll be making cookies later.  You gonna want any of those?  They are going to be peanut butter smile

2. livelonger profile image85
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What were you made fearful of? I'm assuming it was more than fear of a spanking or being sent to your room without dessert.

I think instilling a fear of hell, condemnation, torture, and the like that you see in the NT Revelations is a form of child abuse. If that's the case in your upbringing, then I can understand you rebelling against it. It's better than accepting it as reality.

I remember the one time my parents accepted an invitation from some perpetually-smiling evangelical neighbors to go to a "Christian ski retreat" for a weekend, and one night, we watched some "Christian family" movies that were gory horror flicks with people bursting into flames, being drenched in blood, 666 imprinted on people's foreheads, etc. My parents fortunately made us pack up our thngs and leave the retreat in the middle of the night, and told my brother and me to never talk to that family ever again.

I felt sorry for those kids who had to sit through an entire childhood of that garbage with the heavy endorsement of it by their own parents.

You do understand, though, that the less "fundie" the parents, the less likely they do this. Melissa's a Unitarian Universalist, which is probably the least fundie form of Christianity possible. She answers questions about religious matters from her children in an oblique manner that leaves them to think for themselves. It's a mistake to think that all Christians are like the evangelical fundies I mentioned earlier, especially when they tell you explicitly that (and how) they're not.

Oh? They have a different bible in that case?

Odd - last time I looked - all bibles said the same thing. Assuming these children are taught to read and encouraged to read the majik book - they all read the same thing.

Fear the Lord.

Innit.

1. livelonger profile image85

Thanks for answering my question in your own, particular way.

Kristshuns gib us all de conflikt en war, innit?

No. It is the gays going against wot god sed. wink

Great job on avoiding the point I made though. lol

The bible is pretty clear, no matter how much you water it down.

That's exactly what Fred Phelps says!

Strange that an evangelical Christian and an evangelical atheist would see things the same way.

Or maybe not so strange. big_smile

2. wavegirl22 profile image49
                wavegirl22posted 12 years agoin reply to this

All Bibles say the same?

What I find interesting is that the Bible I read never ever says "Fear the Lord"

What Bible says that and where?

From the OP:

1.    Psalms34:9 "Oh fear the Lord, you His saints! There is no want to those who fear Him"
                  2.    Psalms34:7-25:12-31:19- 103:13 Proverbs19:23
                  3.    "Who is the man that fears the Lord? Him shall He teach in the way that he should choose
                  4.    Psalms 112:1-2 Blessed is the man who fears the Lord,
                  5.    Psalms25:14 "The secret of the Lord is with those who fear Him,
                  6.    Psalms 33:18  "Behold the eye of the Lord is on those who fear Him, On those who hope in His mercy"
                  7.    Psalms85:9 "Surely His salvation is near to those who fear Him, that glory may dwell in our land"
                  8.    Psalms 103:11 "For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him;"
                  9.    Psalms103:17 "But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness to children's children."
                  10.    Psalms 111:4-5  He has given food to those who fear Him;
                  11.    Psalms115:13 "He will bless those who fear the Lord, both small and great"
                  12.    Psalms128:1-4 "Blessed is every one who fears the Lord, who walks in His ways. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord."
                  13.    Psalms145:19 "He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;
                  14.    Proverbs10:27 "The fear of the Lord prolongs days"
                  15.    Proverbs 14:26 "In the fear of the Lord there is strong co
                  16.    Proverbs 14:27 "The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life,
                  17.    Proverbs 15:33 "The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom
                  18.    Proverbs16:6 fear of the Lord one departs from evil."
                  19.    "The fear of the Lord leads to life,
                  20.    Proverbs 22:4 By humility and the fear of the Lord are riches and honor and life."
                  21.    Proverbs23:17 "Be in the fear of the Lord all the day"
                  22.    Ecclesiastes8:12-13  who fear God, who fear before Him. But it will not be well with the wicked; nor will he prolong his days, which are as a shadow, because he does not fear before God."
                  Ecclesiastes12:13-14 :Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all."

What does your bible say? lol

Fear him every day, or lighting may strike.

Please sing along

You better not shout his name, you better not cry in vain
                    Because God is telling you why.
                    Because GODD haa DA  Da is in Town

He knows when you are sleeping, he known’s when you’re awake,
                    He known’s when you have been good or bad.
                    So be good for GODNESS sake

2. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's ever so much more fun to play dense and think all Christians are the same.

I think (and this is just a theory, mind you) that there is a genre of atheists that come from some type of strong pentecostal type up bringing. They don't believe anymore, but when they did they were kind of holy roller types that insisted their interpretation was the only correct one. They still think that and probably assume that if you aren't atheist, you should convert to the interpretation they still consider the correct one. It's all about the love, of course.

Yes, and EG and earnest have admitted that they were strongly evangelical Christian in the past (I don't know about Troubled Man, but I suspect the same is with him). Their only window into religion is a very narrow one, and they've accepted the way the "holy rollers" have framed it.

The thing is: I don't care if you don't believe. My own father is an atheist and is one of the most moral people on the planet. He clearly doesn't need religion in his life or belief in anything to be a good person...and most non-zealots would agree with me, especially if they know someone like him. That's why when holy roller Christians insist you need G-d in your life to be good, I know that's b.s.

But my father doesn't take issue with the fact that I'm religious, either. We can respect each other and not insist on the other seeing things the exact same way we do. Judaism works for me, atheism works for him. There are atheists who are the other side of the holy roller coin, and that assume religion is evil, and you can't be religious and a good person, either. I know that's b.s., too.

Gross simplifications are easy to make, unfortunately, when your experience with something is so limited. That could be said about a lot of things.

3. MelissaBarrett profile image58

LL, he doesn't actually read what I type.  He fills in my thoughts and actions from whatever his preconceived notion is and responds to conversations that never really occurred.  It's part of the EG persona.  Occasionally a bubble of original thought or a valid point peeks through the sock puppet and I'll respond to it.  Otherwise I've got to assume he's talking to someone else, since what he is saying doesn't seem to apply to anything I've written.

That makes sense. It also explains why you bring the popcorn. smile

2. Evolution Guy profile image58

Oh - I read what you type. You claim to be a Christian, but only do certain bits. All your fellow Christian tell you that you are not a proper Christian because you do not follow the bible. You have completely failed to share with me the "evidence" that convinced you Jesus was a real person that you found when "researching the facts."

But - good job on ignoring everything I say.

2. profile image0
      Holmes221bposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can see what you are saying, concerning children having respect for their parents, and if the punishment for a naughty child is the withdrawal of pocket money for sweets, or grounding them for a while, this would be understandable.  However, God is a little more severe in the Old Testament, as he directs parents to stone their disobedient children to death, which I think is taking it a bit too far.

Of course it is.  I wasn't answering for specific verses or even Christianity just the concept of fear of a God in general.  If we look to a God as a creator (parent figure) than fear is going to be in there somewhere.  As all children fear their parents during their childhood on some level or another.

3. DoubleScorpion profile image78
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just to tack on my thoughts to what Melissa has said.

Fear of punishment, not fear of the punisher. At least that is how I look at things. My kids love me and I them, but they fear the punishments if rules are not followed.
      The difference between us humans and "God" is our punishments are only long enough to enforce the memory of following rules. His is more of the permanent type. We use our corrective measures to teach our children how to survive in the world as adults on their own. "God" uses his "corrective measures" to teach...? Dead people don't learn, where is the lesson?

*And by punishment by parents, I am not refering to spankings or hitting. Although some parents do apply hand to butt, as a form of corrective instruction.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Fear of the Lord, definition. Copied from Wikipedia;

Fear of the Lord is one of the Seven gifts of the Holy Spirit, as described in Isaiah 11:2-3. In Proverbs 1:7 and Proverbs 9:10, the fear of the Lord is called the beginning or foundation of wisdom. In Proverbs 15:33, the fear of the Lord is described as the "discipline" or "instruction" of wisdom. [1][2] The Catholic Encyclopedia explains that this gift "fills us with a sovereign respect for God, and makes us dread, above all things, to offend Him." [3] In an April 2006 article [4] published in Inside the Vatican magazine, contributing editor John Mallon writes that the "fear" in "fear of the Lord" is often misinterpreted as "servile fear" (the fear of getting in trouble) when it should be understood as "filial fear" (the fear of offending someone whom one loves).

Of the problems I find within organized religion; the definition of fear is not among them.

I don't disagree with wiki's definition, and I think most of the time those who believe in any God fall within those terms, as a whole.  I think that some of the more peaceful/introspective religions even teach their creeds as such.  Janism comes to mind immediately.

Edit: before anyone jumps on me I know that Jains don't have a "big guy" type of God.

6. Maralexa profile image85
    Maralexaposted 12 years ago

To "fear" the Lord means to revere him.  To love and respect him so much that you would never want to disappoint him.

MelissaBarrett
      I almost felt like voting you as the new naked president, did liked some of your ideas.

I've handled or been close to crocodiles, shark, bears, snakes, Komodo dragons, every bug and even got mugged by 40 monkeys. I love them all, respect them and understand them enough to never to get really hurt by them, As for all animal, they  love within their own logical way, back.

Why can't God and have enough logic without threaten most of us. Most of us will never change to obeying him and we will never be convince your God is the be all and end all. God (your kind of God) offer us eternity torture while claiming unconditionally love. Free will sounds like a con job, don’t you think?

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you are correct, it would plainly mean that the God inspired translation and compilation of the bible got it all wrong.

7. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
    Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758)" A classic.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/sermons.sinners.html

Interesting part
      Therefore, let everyone that is out of Christ, now awake and fly from the wrath to come. The wrath of Almighty God is now undoubtedly hanging over a great part of this congregation. Let everyone fly out of Sodom: "Haste and escape for your lives, look not behind you, escape to the mountain, lest you be consumed

Too bad most Christian live most in the state of Sodom and Gomorrah, then we have most of the population who are asleep and cannot fly from the wrath of God to come.

I would rather take my chances to have my fruits counted by clean hands. Not the gay kind, although there is nothing wrong with that too.

8. Vinaya Ghimire profile image80
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 12 years ago

I don't know what will be the answer according to other faiths, but in Hinduism and Buddhism humans are taught to become a liberated soul. Hindu and Buddhist do not fear God, they fear bad karma.

1.The Buddha's teaching does not support this ignorance, weakness, fear

2.Bad karma by hurting or killing sentient beings, one will have to endure the ... regret, perhaps taking the form of a sensation of fear that the perceived enemy may

3.Free from fear and anger, purified by divine wisdom, filled with my spirit. ...

4."Karma will work it out in the end".

Even Satan in Hindu means your actions are realizing your own mistake

9. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I am curious..

Why fear GOD? What god? lol

1. govlk profile image61
      govlkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No sense No Fear Be Cool

Fear is just about the unknowns,

If survival is your fear, Why not thrive instead and be ahead of the game.

Then we have the spiritual unknowns fears, that’s more of a main stream Religious thing

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)