How do people get so many fans?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (42 posts)
  1. DeskCoder profile image40
    DeskCoderposted 14 years ago

I thought by being fans of other people, they would be my fan too.  How do I get more fans?

1. Mrvoodoo profile image58
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people work that way, personally I only become a fan of someone whose hub(s) I have enjoyed reading.

2. compu-smart profile image88
      compu-smartposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wondered the same as you when i had just a few fans! and i was about one month in!

things will evolve...

PS..You now have one more:)

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't often browse around HubPages at random, so the only way I'm going to read a new Hubber's work is if they turn up in a forum and I wonder who they are.  I haven't come across your name before, so I'm guessing you're not around in the forums much. Maybe that's your answer.

My own view of "fandom" on HubPages is that it's exactly what it says - I join a fan club if I genuinely admire the Hubber's work, not because they've joined my fan club. That doesn't seem to have hurt my own fan base.

2. fayans profile image63
    fayansposted 14 years ago

I guess I'm going to take the proactive approach by adding them first (whose hubs appeal to me) in the hope that they'll do likewise.

You've got one too, DeskCoder wink

3. Jezzzz profile image44
    Jezzzzposted 14 years ago

I was wondering the same thing.  I only have two fans at the moment.. Booo hoooo  :-(....

1. Rotem profile image61
      Rotemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

now you have one more...

4. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

You don't get fans, jeeez you actually take an interest in the people on the damn site and read and support them. I am sorry but seeing someone who has been a member 10 months with 3 fans whinging about having no fans just makes me laugh. Ditto applies to you others, either take part in the site or go get a hanky you damn big girls !

1. DeskCoder profile image40
      DeskCoderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I asked how people get fans around here.  Is it good content, commenting on the forums, what?  I didn't need some jack-a calling me a girl because I don't have countless time to devote to this site.

2. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just deleted you as a fan, it is not like man city fans to speak to people like that..... apologise

1. Kelsey Tallis profile image62
        Kelsey Tallisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The "apologise" part made me LOL! The bold part doesn't make sense, not sure what you are trying to say here...

Personally, I prefer a smart-ass to a kiss-ass any day ;-)

I don't automatically become a fan of everyone who fans me either but if someone fans me and I already like their posts in the forum, I'll fan them before I read any of their hubs. I can usually tell from their forum posts if I like their writing style or how they express themselves.

1. profile image0
          \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We are both Manchester City Fans, I think we came on board here about the same time.... We must be about the same age as we remember the same games etc.....  he is probably drunk i would say...

5. Jezzzz profile image44
    Jezzzzposted 14 years ago

Deskcoder, don't worry about badcompany99 he has a chip on his shoulder, (I almost cursed).  Just laugh and move on.  I sure did!!!

6. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Rotem you sure are a nice guy

1. Rotem profile image61
      Rotemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if it is important to him, i'm there lol

7. Cindi LaMar profile image60
    Cindi LaMarposted 14 years ago

Add another fan to your list.  =;o)

8. Eaglekiwi profile image76
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Some are fans ,some resemble groupies .
    In the beginning I added will nilly ( cos it seemed the nice thing to do) wrong

I mean if someone doesnt like the content of what I write about then why would they add me? ditto
    though I have noticed it does help if your half naked  or half drunk or both , maybe ,I dunno I will have to get back to you ,lol

9. Mrvoodoo profile image58
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I get a fan and I go to their profile and see:

1 second ago: This person became a fan of hghgjghgj
    2 seconds ago this person became a fan of ghjgjhghj
    3 seconds ago this person became a fan of uyuyuiyiu
    and so on.

They blatantly didn't read anything you wrote, and personally I'd rather not have them.  But each to their own.

10. Rotem profile image61
    Rotemposted 14 years ago

many thanks for your compliments.

11. Rotem profile image61
    Rotemposted 14 years ago

sorry to hear, my condolence.

12. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

He died a few years ago, but he would have been in to fish as much as you were, I bet your little one likes Nemo, making play do as we speak

13. Rotem profile image61
    Rotemposted 14 years ago

yep. lol

14. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 14 years ago

I become a fan of hubbers I enjoy to read more from.  I don't automatically become a fan of every hubber that joins my fan club, though.

@DeskCoder:  A piece of unsolicited advice, if you don't mind.  I was looking through your hubs and noticed that most of them did not have a hub-specific image, just your profile image.  I would recommend adding atleast one photo to each hub that will show up as a thumbnail.  I think that would look better overall and it may also entice more people to click on your hubs. Photos can be very enticing.   I believe each hub should have it's own unique photo.   Just my 2 cents.  smile

1. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good advice. If possible and appropriate, use more than one photo or image. cool

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly right. You should always have photos in your Hubs, and preferably a news or rss feed and one or more videos as well.

2. DeskCoder profile image40
      DeskCoderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  My problem is finding the right picture for my hubs, but I will try to work on that now!

15. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Ahhh Brenda forget about it. Badco is actually a one of life's good guys. What he said wasn't wrong - you do need to interact on hubpages. 'Twas more the delivery I think wink

And he may not have been drunk. He may have just felt like spitting a feather or two out ...

It's all good big_smile

16. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Its a mystery just like myspace, where do all those friends come from?

17. homematchmakers profile image61
    homematchmakersposted 14 years ago

I am right there with you...just trying to figure it out...I'm a fan...Happy writing!

18. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I actually was drunk at the time and I guess what you do on here is your business and not mine. I am big enough though to say accept my apology.

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Badco - smile And I hope it was a great night you had.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was my friend but sometimes with drink I gotta learn to shut up I guess, anyways hope yer having a good start to the weekend.

No you don't. Nowt like getting a bit lairy now and then. Cleans the pipes and all that. And thankyou. Maybe it is a good start. I'm still up big_smile

19. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

I buy fans.  Find some guy hanging out on the HubPages curb and offer him a 20 spot for some fan action.  I got BT to sign up for $15 bucks, and Spryte kicked down for a handful of change.  Other options include nude photographs of yourself (if you are a hawt chick), bribes of alcohol or even really well prepared food.  A puppy might work (as a bribe, not as food... although...)

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmm puppies... *drool*

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/btricey25_2006/puppies.jpg

There you go Mark - drool away lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aw man. They would be so good in a curry with some naan bread. big_smile

20. profile image56
    prince1244posted 14 years ago

I like the english D, I too just joined recently and has only three fans. All my hubs are political and hope people will enjoy reading them.

21. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I join the fan club of people who I wish to keep track of because I want to read more of their work.

I am in the fan clubs of less than 10 people.

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only 10? Really? We'll then I am completely honored that you have joined my fan club.

p.s. do you still have the same email address?  I emailed you a few days ago, but haven't heard back.  Are you ignoring me? wink

22. goldentoad profile image59
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I don't know how to get fans, but I know I've had a good time offending people at hubpages the night before, when I've lost fans. Its like they got drunk, woke up the next morning and realized their mistake. I woke up with a couple of less today than yesterday. This happens all the time.

23. lindagoffigan profile image57
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

I found out that I must have been working too hard with so little fans so I started visiting the forums and just responding to other hubbers and the fan numbers began to increase.  I looked at your hubs deskcoder, and I think if you write on a variety of topics that are more relevant to others, your fan base will increase.  Here are some pointers that I just found out when researching topics.

1.Select a topic that will show that you are trying to help someone or provide a benefit. 
    2.  Break up the text with photos and use a photo for your thumbnail or at the top of your article.  I do not because I am into monetization.  But readers do like pictures and that will help drive them to your articles.
    3.  Try to solve problems with your hub and extend yourself out from childcare and exercise.  These may not be your niche subjects though of great interest to you.

Read the hubbers scoring 100 of where I have not reached yet and learn from them

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)