What is wrong with people on Reddit?

Jump to Last Post 1-47 of 47 discussions (158 posts)
  1. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

This site has been suggested as a way to get traffic. I spent a few hours, which turned into 3 days, to figure out how to navigate it. It appears to be a site about links, not really content, but they get angry if you post links? What am I missing? I had to go on under 3 names, but I tried to leave comments and participate a bit, and finally left 2 links. The Captcha is ridiculous, I don't wear glasses, but needed a magnifyer because the curly fonts are so hard to read. I went on today to see if I got any answers. I got sworn at and dissed as a spammer, and told I was ignorant by people who are completely foul. I'm not that thin skinned, I defended myself, and did see a little spike in my traffic, but don't think it's worth it. From what I see, the people only write links or maybe 2 paragraphs of 3 sentences.

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you will verify your e mail address you won't have to do the captchka thingo

Jean Bakulaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WTS, I verified it a bunch of times. I even went on under a few different names, and still verified it.

I've had that problem too.

Do this - create a new e mail account - and a new user name/reddit account.

Write to the moderators there and tell them it's a wonderful website, and that you want to be a part of it, and to please send you a verification e mail.

For a long time - as I've been kicked off three diff times, they wouldn't let me have a verified account.  I think that they track people's IP address so they know who is who.

After writing to the moderators a few times - they let me have another go at it.

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In my opinion, Reddit is a game. If you are in their pack maybe you canmake somehting of it. But who ever looks up a reddit link on Google? Who ever in the real world even looks at reddit? That is why it is so useless. Google uses it sort of as a new world order directory, but it is not easy to access, IMO.

A lot of the people on Reddit are absolutely FANATICAL about the site.  I got kicked off the site AT LEAST three times before I learned to make it work for me.

Now, I might well be jacking up my adsense with a high click through rate from posting there - but it's pretty hard to say who's going to click an ad, or buy an amazon product, etc, etc, etc.

All of this web scribbling for dollars is a bit of a game, IMO.

1. bgamall profile image68
          bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So, Wesman, how does it work?

1. HAYREDDIT profile image54
            HAYREDDITposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well you see bgamall, what you gotta do is post OC.  That means original content.  That means don't post spam.  Pictures of cats on imgur are fine.  It's ok to talk about farts.  Don't spam though.  And don't profess any love for the republican party.

3. Nexusx2 profile image61
      Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You really need your own server when posting on reddit. If not then you will get alot of ridicule for it.

2. dungeonraider profile image86
    dungeonraiderposted 12 years ago

Its a tricky site to use because its based on user popularity.  Don't post anything where your comment on reddit  does not match the content of the article you are linking to.  Post in subreddits wherever possible to get better feedback.  i.e. you will probably get dissed if you post 'how to make a lamp' in the main reddit page.  Its more for big news. 

I have never posted more than two original links per day in any subreddit.  I've had success getting traffic from reddit, though I would think google would view such traffic as dubious, at best.  Maybe I'm wrong, but my reddit traffic has not helped me gain any google rank (even with thousands of views from there).

Thanksdungeonraider,
      I did post in the subreddits, someone on HP wrote a good "How To" for reddit, so I decided to try. I did put links that matched the content, but i write metaphysical stuff and book reviews, so there's not much there for someone like me. Goodreads.com lets you post links to HP if you write a short blurb about a book, and the whole review is on HP, if anyone is interested. They all thought Astrology is BS, many people do. But most don't understand what it really entails. All is not lost though, I will write a hub about all that goes into casting and interpreting a chart, always need ideas. I just wasn't prepared for how mean they were. Dumb too.

3. dungeonraider profile image86

My kind of crowd wink  Many gamers and tekkies on there.

I wouldn't dismiss it as a place to get your work read, though.  There is a place for everything, if you can find the right subreddit.  I initially had decided against linking one of my sports stories there from infobarrel, but went ahead and put it in sports subreddit and did well.  I submitted a writing guide to fantasy fiction (i think it was), and it has done well there.  Very good votes up and feedback.  I originally submitted one of my D&D articles on the main reddit page and promptly took my bruised ego to a subreddit (games).

Good luck and thanks for the Goodreads link.  I'll check it out.

No problem, I like the way the HP community sticks together. I can be pretty bitchy when necessary, so I gave back as good as I got. I will still try to find my way there. But I think it is for people more into tech and computer games. Definitely check out Goodreads, I got several loyal readers from there that come from HP, and another who lets me guest write on her metaphysical blog. I went on under my real name there if you need to see what to do. I used all made up ones on Reddit.

4. psycheskinner profile image85
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

You are meant to post stuff you discovered, not to self-promote.

Yes, but if you do both you can be rewarded with many a page view, and possibly some income from it.

2. Jean Bakula profile image93

psycheskinner,
      not sure I understand, If I am passing on info that in this case took many years of reading, classes and learning, isn't it facts I've discovered. If I direct them to a hub that easily explains what I've learned, I don't think that's blatant self-promoting. And it's a site that encourages you to submit links, but then gets pissed that you try to put links? What is the premise?

1. psycheskinner profile image85
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Like I said, it is a recommendation engine--so the second you post a link to any extent because you wrote it, that is against the rules.

Unless it's bonafide good OC.  Like somebody saying "hey reddit!  look at these cupcakes I made.  Nailed it."

OC is generally expected to be hosted on imgur or youtube.

5. Joe Macho profile image84
    Joe Machoposted 12 years ago

I've been posting up my recipe hubs to reddit at a rate of Two per day. I've seen an increase in page views, but the traffic has had no effect on income. I'm leaning towards the fact that this site may just bring visitors in for a quick look and then they go back straight away, so wouldn't this hurt your rankings in Google?

1. JEDIJESSICUH profile image76
      JEDIJESSICUHposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me Reddit has increased my income. Not so much in clicking ads, but definitely through the HubPage Ad Program. The people who click my links don't immediately click out though, so that could be why. They stay long enough on my hub to create an impression.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image62
      tlmcgaa70posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i can't post on reddit anymore, every time i try i get this stupid message that says i have submitted to many links recently try again in an hour...even if i havent submitted a link in well over a week and before that i was careful to not submit more than a link a day. so i quit submitting links altogether.

3. HAYREDDIT profile image54

Don't you tools know reddit users have ad blockers?  They don't see the ads.  And they only turn off their adblockers for good sites, like reddit.

1. skear profile image92
        skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You make an excellent point!  Most technical users are running ad blockers, and the ones that aren't are mostly "ad blind" anyway.  Personally I can't remember the last time I actually clicked on an ad.

6. dungeonraider profile image86

@psyche - yeah, thats why people I've talked to have called reddit dubious traffic.  They slow down spam, but don't stop it altogether.

7. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 12 years ago

Yeah, different crowd on reddit. However, someone taught me how to use the subreddits, and my traffic increased at least ten times. My measly income doubled one day and again the next. Of course, I only have 30 hubs, but I'm going to slowly add them to subreddits--those that might be approrpriate for the site. I figure it can't hurt. I agree with Jean--the captcha is hard to read! I'm feeling more and more like a robot!

1. ThunderKeys profile image63
      ThunderKeysposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How do subreddits work?

1. sabrebIade profile image79
        sabrebIadeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Reddit is the main site.
        Sub-reddits are sections of Reddit like Star Trek, Batman, Pics,UFOs ETC.

2. HAYREDDIT profile image54

You are the cancer that is killing the internet.

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Has Reddit changed? It used to be a useless site that sent traffic but no clicks. I gave up on it a long time ago. Am I missing something?

Well, Reddit hasn't changed - but supposedly GOOGLE has - so nowadays facebook "likes" are supposed to be more valuable.

So that's why I use reddit.

2. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

It might not send much traffic but what about backlinks? I think they are DoFollow

3. HAYREDDIT profile image54

As useless as a neutrino!  Hey oh!

9. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Doesn't hubpages pay for impressions, which means traffic, right? Google Adsense is the one that pays for clicks, right? So, if it's traffic, it pays to have hp ads. I guess....I'm still learning.
    I did just check the comments left for a couple of my hubs, though. Jean is right--you have to be thick-skinned. None were very positive, and some were downright mean, saying they saw the article as pointless, it didn't sound good, and one dogged hubpages. Maybe I'll just be grateful for the traffic and not read the comments. I'm grateful to come back to my hubpage community, I know that for sure!

Come back to HP, we'll be nice to you! I tried Book Suggestions, as I read 2 or 3 week, and didn't really get much feedback. Goodreads.com is much better. But i did see more traffic on my hubs. I'm conflicted. Jedijessicuh is the one who wrote a great series of hubs about how to use Reddit, they are very useful.

10. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Let JediJessicuh explain subreddits.  She's awesome.  She helped me with that. Jedi--do you know how long they have to stay on your hub to create an impression? You have really helped increase my traffic! Thanks!

11. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Ahh of course, Hubads. They are new, you know. Might give reddit another try, if I can be bothered, because I really don't like their system.

I don't like reddit's system either but I do it for the cat pictures.

12. Hope Alexander profile image70
    Hope Alexanderposted 12 years ago

1. Nothing is wrong with people on reddit.

2. Reddit is a community site, where people share content they have discovered. It is not a place to post links to your own work and yes, you can expect a hostile response if you try to use the place in that fashion. You can also expect to be banned as a spammer in very short order.

I would NOT use reddit as a way to try to drive traffic. The user base is VERY savvy and very aware of the way that content creators on the web try to game their community. A large percentage of redditors use ad block, which means the traffic won't convert into clicks anyway.

I think in general, hubbers need to think more about what they're doing when they go out and put backlinks everywhere. Are you really adding anything of value to the net when you do that? Have you really created something nobody has ever seen before? Is this piece you're hoping to get traffic to really a unique snowflake? If the answer to that is no, then don't go out there and spam backlinks on social media sites  - hubpages has been banned from several in the past because people insist on doing that because they think their article on 'Top 10 Rubber Duckies' or whatever deserves to be seen by millions. Objectively, it probably doesn't.

I feel that if I direct someone to one of my well written and well researched hubs, I am offering them something useful. It works two ways. I would like to see traffic, but don't feel I was only trying to use Reddit. They attacked me like animals. I already take alot of garbage from religious nuts since my niche is metaphysical things, "to know." the only real niche they have is Occult. Now I realize super conservative religious people think the tarot, astrology, religions other than their own, and such, are Occult, but that's nuts.

1. Hope Alexander profile image70
        Hope Alexanderposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You yourself admitted that you didn't understand what reddit was. It's not just some site where you put your links. It's the *most* active social site on the internet where people gather for interesting news. It's highly skewed towards educated people who favor the sciences. It's also not a place that owes you anything - either clicks or common courtesy.

The fact that you don't think you were trying to use reddit astounds me. You went to an established community and, without the slightest understanding of what it was or what it stood for, you posted links to your material with the intent of gathering views and revenue and were then surprised when the response was negative.

What you did was the equivalent of a lamb wandering into a den of lions wearing a mint sprig tie.

I would strongly advise hubbers to not post their own work on reddit. Not only is it completely against the spirit of the site, quite frankly it is spamming.

Redditors protect their site against people who post there just to earn money and page views viciously. If all you got were some nasty comments, to be honest, you got off lightly.

Is that right? Perhaps not, but it is the nature of the site and the fact that you posted there without the slightest clue of what would happen shows that you didn't understand it and yes, you were attempting to exploit it for your own gain.

I've never, in all my years at hubpages submitted my own work to a social site and I never would. It's underhand, against the spirit of those sites and spammy.

I agree with everything you said except that one shouldn't post their own stuff there.

I do post my own stuff there - but I also post LOTS of other stuff there too.  They don't seem to much mind if you mix it up a lot.  A lot of people there obviously know that (because my name is still Todd Shaw) what I am posting is sometimes mine - and lots of my stuff still gets up voted anyway.

2. Digglol profile image61
          Digglolposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Finally! Look everyone, the voice of reason is here!

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good answer.  We all need to remember that sites like Reddit, Digg, StumbleUpon, etc were originally created as a way to highlight the "cream" of the internet.  Members were supposed to post links to the best sites on the web.

What happened instead was that online writers and website owners quickly saw them as an opportunity to promote their own sites, which is pretty egotistical when you think about it, even if you think your site is genuinely worthy of inclusion.

Some sites, like Stumbleupon, have simply given up trying to fight the self-promoters.  I think Reddit is one of the few that's still fighting tooth and nail to keep its original intent.

3. profile image52
      randomredditorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hope Alexander actually knows what she's talking about.  You guys should listen to her.  You're all just adorably stupid.

4. HAYREDDIT profile image54

This!  this right here!  Upboats for you!

1. Digglol profile image61

Hope even gets some upgoats as well.

13. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

Here's the thing - Google supposedly decided to weigh social networking sites and links there as more valuable - so if folks on reddit hit the facebook "like" button - you've got a win.

I didn't just go on and promote myself. I read and commented on many people's things, and frankly, thought many of them were just foul mouthed jerks who over rate their intelligence levels. Hope, you are talking about this idiotic site and "what it stands for" like it's the freaking Bible. It's a bunch of computer geeks who get a kick out of making others feel excluded. They didn't have great insights, or any smart stuff to say , except for a few. I spent 3 days reading before I tried to post anything.

Don't get your panties in a knot.  Just because we're jerks doesn't mean we have to like your stupid spam.

So you unsuccessfully spam a social networking site, and you moan about all the cursing. You then sling insults like candy.

Let me spell it out for you, 'cause ya' know, you're a writer.

H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E

14. Victoria Lynn profile image88

It's all so confusing....

Why is reddit even listed as one of the places to "share" on the bottom of a hubpage if we're supposedly not supposed to submit links to that site? And it says on the reddit site, "submit link," so why would anybody think that's a bad idea?

Nothing confusing - but if you only submit YOUR links or only submit links from Hubpages - then people on reddit are going to look at you as a spammer.

Thanks everyone. Wesman, this last point is one I will keep in mind.

15. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Exactly, Jean! It DOES encourage links. And they DO get traffic.

16. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I've never noticed any insults from Reddit, which probably means really that I didn't look in the right places.

I have noticed that this has happened to a few posters from Hubpages over the past few months.

Personally, I'm not interested in becoming active on a site that permits juveniles to swear like troopers and insult other people, PR6 or not.

When Reddit grows up a bit, I might change my mind if I'm not dead by then.

17. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Yeah, that's nuts, Jean. People can get so hateful about things they don't agree with or just don't understand.

Like spammers.  I hate them and I totally don't agree with what they do.  I hate hub pages.  I hate about.com.  I hate all those sites that google is throwing to the garbage can and they deserve it.

18. tarrka1089 profile image60
    tarrka1089posted 12 years ago

@ Jean - to give it a shot as to a sub you think might be on Reddit, you might try this:

www.reddit.com/r/aww [for example this will take you to the sub-reddit called Aww, or "r/pets will take you to the sub-reddit for pets] - so if you are wondering if there might be a sub for a particular topic key in "r/_____ (filling in with whatever category you want to check for).  Someone had posted a list of an insane number of sub-reddits that may also help too.

It is definitely a brutal group, but I have had a significant increase in traffic using the sub Aww - I agree with others that the sub-groups are a bit nicer to deal with.  But it is still no HubPages!

1. tarrka1089 profile image60
      tarrka1089posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oops - did not mean to post a link like that.  SORRY!  I didn't realize keying in the whole address turned into a link.  SO SORRY!

19. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

So..., what is the resolution on this?

Don't post spam.

20. DIY Backlinks profile image58
    DIY Backlinksposted 12 years ago

They can be a pain to get along with sometimes. I have been shut down for nothing a couple of times.

21. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 12 years ago

If Redditors are shutting down people promoting their own work, I say more power to them.

22. Victoria Lynn profile image88

But redditors promote their own "work," too. And by submitting links and commenting on other things there, hubbers can also become redditors!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes of course they do.  It's the nature of the internet!  But as Wes said, you have to make a lot of genuine recommendations and earn trust first, then you can start sneaking in the occasional piece of your own work.

However you shouldn't fool yourself that you are "sneaking", it's still against the spirit of the site.

Well, I didn't mean to start a storm. I may approach it once more in a few days, much more carefully. Honestly, it's not that I have virgin eyes or anything, but just reading how many F***ks were on the first page really didn't make me think this was a revered site of highly intelligent or well spoken people. It's a mean spirited clique. I understand what many of you are saying though, gain trust, and post info to other interesting things, not only your own. I actually posted some books in answer to what people were asking to read, as I like to read. I didn't just go to post my links like a crazed woman. It only let me put 2, after all this garbage. So it does beg the question of whether it's worth it. If they don't like outsiders coming on and just posting links, you can't get past the damn catcha anyway. What I really dislike is being forced to play games. I came here to write, and it's a nice group for the most part. I don't want to pretend I like or respect the writing of a bunch of people I will most likely never get to know (we all get to know a few since we bond over our topics), and spend all day stroking their egos just to put a link or two on their site. I played their game for the few days before I posted, and still don't think I was wrong. But I appreciate the insights from all of you.

1. Nexusx2 profile image61
          Nexusx2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hey Jean, I was using reddit for awhile until some people did the same thing. I noticed that most of my traffic was coming from the site. I should start using them again but im 2nd guessing my writing capabilities. I have heard of a method that might help you. Create a funny picture that people would like and link it to your article. This might only work if you have your own network.

2. profile image52

1. Attempt to gain trust.  2. "Sneak in" your links.  3. Complain when you get caught and accuse site to which you very much seem to want to belong as mean spirited.

Does that all sound about right?

No. The site openly tells you to submit links about specific subjects. But they should be from other sites mostly, not your own. It doesn't say the link can never be from a piece you wrote yourself. I'm conflicted about that, on HP we have niches, and many of us are knowledgable about our niche topics. None of us on this page has sworn at you or make crude comments about your intelligence level (mine is above average, thanks). Regardless of the silly campaign you and your friend have begun, nobody has treated you with disrespect.

23. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I just went and looked at their first page because I pretty much stay away from sites where people post what they "discover", so I thought I'd look at it.  (I don't discover much of anything because I pretty much only write.)  Anyway - sorry.  That page looks like a big bunch of crap to me.  I see no particular signs of "intelligent life" on that first page.  It's nice if some of them have a high opinion of themselves, I suppose.  roll  Maybe it's me.  hmm  (probably is; always is, I guess - which is why I pretty much only write)

1. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Had a look and absolutely agree.

I find it sad and amusing at the same time that "curation" is the new buzz word. It is worth very little when so many of the self-appointed curators are little cliques of adolescent prats.

2. profile image52

I'm confused.  Do you pretty much only write?

24. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

At first I was ready to jump in and slag them off.  Then I read all of this thread, especially the mint sprig tie post. I checked the Quantcast estimated figure - 15 million.  And I have my own opinion on links...

I admit to Tweeting and Facebooking some of my pages.  It's pointless.  "Look at this I wrote" - yeah brilliant.

I dislike the whole artificial linking game - if someone writes the same thing as me but links it more - why should they get more traffic? If I link mine more- why should I?  It just becomes an artificial link war game.

It means that you can't really trust any links as a second opinion on something - because they may just be spam.

I guess I sound like a Luddite or something.  Sorry about that.  IF my article is better then it might get the odd link from someone.  And if someone else's is better then that should get more.

But doing it myself?  Might as well stand on the street corner saying "look at me - aren't I wonderful".

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You've got it in one Mark. It is unfortunately true, however, that the more links an article has, the higher it is rated in Google's eyes. They keep wanting the change the system, but haven't got a better one.
      Like me on another thread - someone in China stole my hub, then backlinked the stolen work all over the place, pointing to their site.
      I now have to issue DMCAs to every one of them.
      And yes, their copies are rated higher than mine. But I wrote it! Maybe if I had gone out and aggressively got myself 1000 backlinks it would be above theirs, but I didn't.
      Looks like I might have to.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your story is a horror story Izzy, and it is so unfair.  Seems something is still very wrong with Google despite their 'efforts'.

I was going to mention the other day... maybe as you seem to have acquired a set of copiers - using a different ID, separate subdomains and so on might be worth a try?  That would also give you a fresh subdomain in Panda's eyes.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Yes I have one that I started a week or two ago. Its got 3 hubs, and I really need to go work on it, except I am in the middle of adding to a series of hubs I already have in this name.
          Trouble is, by the time it starts to see authority, this one will likely be back in Google's good books. On the other hand, I should work on it, in case this one never comes back.

Well, I'm glad to hear that it wasn't a silly idea.  I have wondered myself, in fact I must do it, because although I'm happy with writing at HP (I like it) - the idea of having a subdomain slap is scary.

Having two or more ID's would help save that worry.

Hi Mark,
      I agree, I feel uncomfortable with the whole backlinking thing, for the reasons you so well said. I've only done it a few times. Reddit was my second attempt, and it wasn't worth it to play games for days reading what was essentially garbage (not that I'm Shakespeare) and only able to post two links. I did make what I thought were good suggestions and answered some things, and didn't get any response any time I tried to reach out. Only abuse over the links. I had a big spike in my traffic yesterday, but it's about usual again. And it will only amount to a penny or two. If you want to make money here, you need several accounds and really have to learn how to play every site's games. I just wanted to write. A little money would have been nice, sigh. HP should warn it's newbies it's not quite so easy as sign up, write, make money. I love the site, but see people saying stuff like, "I wrote 3 hubs last week, where's my money?" HP could be a little more honest about the fact it takes hard work and F/T work hours to really make money.

Jean, I hear your sigh and I echo it.  It is really hard work. 

There are a few who have an interest that the rest of the world is eager for, and a few who are expert marketers but for the average writer this is an almost impenetrable game.

By average writer I don't mean quality of writing - that has nothing to do with the search game.

My hope is that as I keep writing and learning, at some point things will click into place so I am writing smarter.  It's that hope that keep me going, along with the sligthly annoying addictive thing - I love doing it.

I hear you about the addicting party. I've been accused (good naturedly) by my husband for being obsessed. I hope I'm becoming a better writer too.

Damned straight you're obsessed!  And he's going to divorce your spamming ass because you don't work and spend all your days on the computer earning $10 per day from your "content".

25. Lisa HW profile image62

My "issue" with viewing a site like that one (which is, incidentally, apparently supposed to be "skewed toward educated people who favor the sciences") as "superior in some way" is a) that if you go to their first page you see a pile of foolishness (so they're obviously failing at their attempt to "skew") and b)that the people who post whatever they post on there haven't even (if they're sticking to the rules) produced/written their own offerings.  So where, exactly, does any "loftiness" come in, or belong, on a site like that???   hmm

By the looks of this thread, I thought I'd find the likes of the American Medical Association on there.  Hmmm.  Lots of uses of the "f word" instead.  (I guess that must be a sign of their grand levels of education and great scientific minds.   big_smile )

(Although I don't make a habit of backlinking on social sites, I don't think everyone else ought to operate that way by any means; and, in fact, under the right circumstances I wouldn't be above it, myself.  It works for people.  Who can argue with that..)

You're pretty shortsighted, aren't you? I bet you went to reddit, looked at the front page for a few seconds, then quickly dismissed it. You didn't even care to look at any of the links. I can pretty much guarantee that scenario. Do you care to know how? Bare with me here, your grammar is pretty terrible.

"b)that the people who post whatever they post on there haven't even (if they're sticking to the rules) produced/written their own offerings."

See right there? You didn't even read all the comments in this thread! First off, reddit is not just unique user content. Users tend to submit links they find themselves. That's generally the idea behind it. Your mistake lies in the fact that there are a bunch of HUGE subreddits dedicated to user content. Try the IAMA subreddit, or just look at all the wonderful memes we come up with!

Who the hell wants to read about the AMA anyway? Hmmmm. Lots of smiley faces in this comment, you must be educated. Judging your profile, I highly doubt you have any education past High School, IF you made it that far. You sound like a pretentious dropout hiding behind a monitor. Please don't try to sound important or intelligent, especially when you use more than one question mark in the same sentence.

Try it out!
      http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

I'll give you the title, "reddit: IAmA writer with no grammar skills!"

26. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

My husband has not been as good natured with his references to obsession and writing. Could be why I've never really pursued it before.

1. IzzyM profile image87

My partner (I'd never marry him) hates what I do here. He's actually jealous of my computer because I spend so much time on it! He doesn't even speak English so is as much use a chocolate teapot for bouncing ideas off.
      So I guess I'm on my own here, but I'm OK with that.
      I, too, would like Wesman or anyone else here who knows how to get Reddit to work, to say how. Do you have to be under 25, swear like a trooper (I can do that!) and be a bit subversive, or what?

1. profile image50
        amoliskiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It helps if you actually want to be a part of the community and enjoy the memes they post. You won't have much luck if you just try to 'use' the community to drive traffic to your own sites.

Just yesterday some knucklehead on Reddit tried to tell me that I shouldn't post my own links.

I looked at his profile - he's been there three years, and my "link karma" is higher than his after only a couple months (this go round) - so basically, ignore the assclowns on reddit - post your own, and other links you find, comment other folks stuff, and be a part of it.

I'd never marry you either.

If you didn't speak English, then you might!

homesteaddbound,
      I get so absorbed when I'm writing, my son says my husband has stalked off and said, "I'm going to bed now", and I never even noticed, lol. Mark is correct when he says it gets addicting. I never complained about his activities or interests over the years, our 32nd anniversary was this week. So if I want to pursue something I like, finally, and am putting in the time (and not as much as I was) I think he should just shut up.

1. homesteadbound profile image81
        homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

We have been married 31.5 years. It's always good to hear when marriages last this long. My husband just doesn't understand, but he's a good man so I think I'll keep him. smile

27. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

I had some great early experiences with Reddit, many months ago.  I submitted some blog posts and got 3000 views for each of them.  It didn't do me much good, however, in terms of clicks or earnings (it was pre Hub ads, although my successful posts weren't from HP anyway if I remember rightly!).  Anyway, most Reddit viewers just scan your page, then leave, which doesn't help your stats.  The traffic rise is also very brief and lasts maybe 1 or 2 days, then you're back to square one.  You have to post in specific topic areas and not use the generic "reddit.com" to get anywhere, but even that doesn't last in my experience.

The best posts are ones with controversial or witty titles - stuff that people can laugh at, or argue about, "Top 5 Vacuum Cleaners" or "How to save money on house insurance" won't get you anywhere.  The best hubs are evergreen and practical and sober, the best reddits are almost the opposite - topical, trivial, and opinionated stuff will do best there.

They got fed up with me after a month or two and now my posts there don't rate.  I was even banned from a couple of topics, probably because I overpromoted my own stuff.  Oh well, I can't say I care! lol

Hi Paul,
      The traffic rise I got is just as you explain here. I guess I do want to make some money, but as Izzy says, do we need to pretend we are in our 20's, swear lots more, and act superior and sneaky? Actually, that may be fun. I just wasn't impressed with the site. I know the numbers are just a game, but without the game, no money. On the other hand, the people on Reddit aren't writers, their stuff is just linked to a little blurb. I didn't even understand what some of the letters stood for, so I guess I'm showing my age. It's all worth one or two tries, and I have learned only use the sub-reddits, if you post in the main ones your stuff only sits there.

Just one more thing. Last night someone from Reddit wanted me to present my credentials to prove I was a professional astrologer, belonged to a metaphysical society, and more. Of course I'm not scanning important documents for someone who when i checked, was submitting links for fart jokes. Reddit is highly overrated, and you will only be able to tolerate it if you are under 25. All it does is spike your traffic for one day after you post the link you get abused for. And I wasn't spamming them, I answered and commented on quite a bit before I linked.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your Reddit thread inspired me to expand my comment and write an entire hub on the topic of Reddit, which I posted today, so thanks for the inspiration, Jean!  :-)

Happy some good came from it Paul!

reddit's reddit thread inspired me to come and chat it up with you guys.  Hey reddit!

2. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pretty much don't backlink to anything other than my own other sites/blogs that I do under this same name.  I write "by day as a freelance writer" and "by night as a spare-time/hobby, Internet-writer"; so my stuff online isn't my "serious" writing, but it's still connected to me, the professional writer.  So, either way, I don't want anything associated with me (like my Hubs) linked to anything that also then links out to (shall I say) flatulence jokes.  roll  I don't make it a thing to share my online stuff with anyone associated with my "serious" writing, but it's not as if my online writing is being stored in a hat box in my closet.  It can be found, and my name is no secret.

So, I figure it's my own best interest to practice a "reverse snobbery" toward a site like Reddit with "the language" and the flatulence-joke links.  Whatever their deal is their business, but my "deal" is writing.  I don't pretend to be a "big, serious" writer on sites like HubPages (or in my Google profile), because I take a more casual, personal, approach.  Still, I don't want to post my Hub links on some of those "iffy looking" sites because right now I'm really happy with both my traffic and my earnings.  I know I could have been doing better over the years, but I've always wondered if/when/in what ways that kind of approach may/will fall out of favor and backfire big-time.  I may have settled for a "bird in the hand", but I want my writing efforts (even the casual ones) built on something over which I have more control than the "the biggest traffic-getting" thing).  hmm

If I were to turn my online writing efforts into a more professional type of writing I still wouldn't use those sites, and for the same kind of reasons.

I understand. I was in the process of writing a tarot book when I came on HP, so I used my own name and wrote about subjects that I knew well. I didn't want to be snobby, but don't want to be associated with riff-raff or a bunch of kids playing around either.

3. Digglol profile image61

I think you're just a phony. I've read this entire thread, and you are one of the most disingenuous people I've ever encountered. You are a HUGE hypocrite, and it's plainly obvious that your ego is interfering with your ability to notice it.

You won't scan your credentials? Just blur out any info you want with MS Paint, he just wanted some proof. Just to be clear, I can really care less. I'll be really honest, I consider your work inferior to any fart joke, they are at the same level, at best. Do you know why?

Thus far, you've provided proof of your hypocrisy and complete lack of understanding. Now you expect someone to believe you have credentials in the field you are writing about? You keep feigning innocence when it's obvious that you are completely guilty of spamming your own material for the sake of profit. You commented a few times? Whoa, that's some contribution to the community. You submitted a few links? My god, let's break out the awards and champagne.

28. Eileen Goodall profile image82
    Eileen Goodallposted 12 years ago

I followed someone's advice to answer questions on Yahoo and link to my Hubs and I got banned by Yahoo sad

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The key to using yahoo answers is to not link your hubs in every question you answer - do it once in awhile.  I have done this successfully by maybe adding a link to something of mine in every 10th answer.  If you do otherwise it looks like spamming and that will get you banned.  Also don't link to the same hub repeatedly - maybe just a few times spacing it out and use your hub link as a source followed by a very well written personal answer to the questioner.  Perhaps you can  try getting a different yahoo ID and answering again?

The key to raping someone is to not rape EVERY person you see - do it once in awhile.

Extreme comparison, I know. You are breaking the rules, and doing it "once in a while" does not constitute righteousness.

29. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier (and more profitable) to focus on making good pages for valuable keywords? All this devious, spammy stuff just isn't necessary for a hubpage.

1. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Self-promotion is not "devious" if you are doing it with the actual spirit of sharing and helping others.  Every one of my hubs takes hours to produce and I ensure that it is top quality content.  I do very little self-promotion, but some is necessary. 

I also develop websites and pages around issues and subjects I am passionate about and over time have developed a great deal of followers. 
      One way to get said followers is to get your material discovered and read. 

I don't believe that is devious.  If I was just throwing up a sloppy hub about something I had very little knowledge about with lots of amazon links and then going all over posting back links then yes - that would be spammy and unethical. 

I think a lot of people struggle with finding the "fine line".  For me a few backlinks posted in the spirit of actually sharing is a way to get discovered.  I am not doing it for the few pennies on hubpages.  When you engage on sites like Yahoo Answers or others (sorry I am not familiar with reddit) the point is that you actually care about THAT site too - and have genuine concern and interest in the questions you answer for that person. 

I don't look at it like a "game" - I view it as how can I find ways to share what I have poured my heart, soul, and time into in a meaningful way that benefits everyone? does that everyone also include me? - yes of course and it should.

I also facebook like and google +1 and stumble OTHER people's writing that I find is really above and beyond.  Let's face it many hubs leave a lot to be desired, but there are others where you can see the time, energy, and effort has been made to give something wonderful to the world and I help those authors share their work as well.  They deserve to be discovered and shared because they have earned it.

It isn't all about "me me me" - I try to diversify and promote others too - but we freelance writers are in business too and we have to promote our business or get lost in the ocean of really bad writing that is out there.  That's how the "game" works - and unfortunately I dislike how many play the game, so that is why I try to be fair about it.

1. Will Apse profile image87
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can rationalize like crazy too. When it suits me. lol.

Don't forget the most important part of your rant, PROFIT!

Will,
      I try to write as well as can, and either about subjects I know well, or ones that interest me enough that I research them so I can write a reasonably intelligent piece about the topic. I have tried all the SEO and title tuner stuff, and my views went down when I changed titles. I am trying to branch out a bit, because it does seem impossible to make any money at all unless you are writing on several sites and linking. Do you notice many who said they made so much (although only a few said their writing pays their mortgage) left HP? It is disingenuous for HP to say all you need to do is sign up, write hubs and make money. Perhaps they should modify that a bit. I just want to write, hopefully get better at it, and will be happy if I ever get one check from it. I'm home now anyway with back issues, so it's keeping my mind active.

Honestly, when I say it is easier to get the writing right and the keyword research right, I mean it.

The traffic you will get from Yahoo or Reddit is small potatoes. Traffic from Google is the only traffic that will pay, long term.

If you are not getting traffic on Hubpages from Google, the problem is not backlinks. The problem will be the articles (wrong subjects or not what people want to read). It took me time to learn to write stuff that gets a lot of views and I am glad I didn't waste any time at all with back linking.

You are smart in the long run, I don't intend to experiment too much backlinking either. Besides the other issues, once I write what I want for HP, I don't want or really have any more time to put into it. I got faster and am organized, but in the beginning few months I was online for more than 8 hrs. a day just writing.

Damn right he's right!  Now get started on writing those pages on circle jerking and narwhals!

1. Cardisa profile image88
              Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Let me get this straight HAYREDDIT, you joined Hubpages just to hassle someone here about posting on Reddit?

I think HAYREDDIT came here for the lulz.

I came here to let you know how idiotic you all sound. It is unethical to self-promote for profit on a site like reddit. That's not what it was built for. It was built so users could submit interesting content, not for hack writers to try and make a few bucks.

For science!

It's funny you say traffic from reddit is small potatoes. Sure, maybe for crappy products that are hosted on HP, but we've generated some traffic for others. Look at the game Minecraft, the creator is a millionaire thanks to the traffic and free advertising from reddit.

It was a good product that wasn't self-promoted, now Notch (Minecraft creator) has more money than the entire userbase of HP.

I get LOTS of traffic from Reddit - love that place.

30. Lisa HW profile image62

I don't see anything at all wrong with promoting one's own stuff, and I don't necessarily think someone who approaches the way ChristinS has described is rationalizing. 

There have been times when I've planned to do some backlinking on "those kinds" of sites, but the kinds of Hubs I have aren't (if I'm honest) all that "earth-shatteringly helpful" for the most part.  I have a few that I think are something that can help people in a meaningful way, and I've set about to promote them.  The trouble is there's only so many times the same "really good/helpful" Hub is welcomed on Yahoo Answers, and some of the other sites where some of my stuff might be helpful are too subject-limited and folksy for me to feel comfortable doing the backlinking thing.

Back when I first had high-speed Internet, I discovered Yahoo Answers and found it enjoyable to honestly try to come up with helpful answers.  I've "retired" from it since then, but I have thousands of answers on there.  There have been times when I've had a Hub that I thought would be good on there, and I've posted a few here or there.  Because I know they frown on it I've never felt like it's something to do too freely.

Then, though, because I write a lot of Hubs about parenting and children, I signed up with a couple of "mommy" sites.  They felt folksy and very community-like, and "everyone" seemed to be the mommy of young kids.  My kids are grown, and I knew the real reason I was on there.  I didn't feel like I belonged there, and people were so nice I didn't feel right about my reason for having signed up.  I couldn't "get involved for real" because it just wasn't genuine interest for me. It wasn't as if I was all over the Internet finding good stuff aimed at mothers of younger kids all the time.  So, the only thing I had to share here or there was my own thing (if I thought it was particularly helpful to someone who raised an issue).

So, it seems to me that the bigger sites for "that type of thing" are quite the enforcers of spammy-type backlinks (or stuff that looks like it), and the smaller/more focused social sites are so welcoming and friendly to people you can feel guilty or phony trying to socialize (when you know you're only there for the backlinking potential).

Then there are the sites that send the message, "Come here and post your stuff, read other people's stuff, and we'll all talk about it."  (like poetry sites, for example)  Again, I'm not genuinely interested in talking about my own or anyone else's stuff.  So, to do what you're supposed to do on any of those sites takes putting in that time/effort into at least acting like you're interested in stuff other than your own backlinks; and I don't want to spend time (or have the time) to get all that involved in pretending. (I can socialize on the forums here because we all have HubPages in common, which is real - and because then whatever discussions show up are at least some version of real, rather than being a matter of everyone's backlinks to other sites.)

I can see operating differently if I had something like a niche and a bunch of Hubs on the same subject (maybe, for example, knitting - "as if").  Then if there were a site that said, "Come share your knitting patterns/challenges here," it would be real (and a real interest for me).  I might enjoy get involved on a site like that.  I'm not on here for the subject, though.  I'm here for the writing and earning from it.  I'm only interested in some of my subjects for as long as I'm writing about them, and then I'm through with being all that interested (at least to that degree) hmm.

So as always, what's comfortable or right or works best for one Hubber (or even one Hub) can just be very different.  I don't think there's usually a one-size-fits-all approach for a lot of Hubbers, and sometimes finding what does/doesn't work for one's individual types of Hubs just takes time.  Some people's Hubs fit better with the "everyone-says-you-have-to-do-this" approach than others.  It doesn't mean what "everyone says" is necessarily wrong.  It does mean, though, that what "everyone says" may not work well for one Hubber or another.

(Having said all that, I loved Jean's "riff-raff" comment.  It made me laugh.  lol  I've never thought of people on some of those sites that way - to the contrary; I've felt like the riff-raff at times  lol) - but I think I'll be seeing at least some of those sites a little differently now that the term, "riff-raff", has been raised.  lol  lol  )

Happy to make you smile!

tl;dr

31. dungeonraider profile image86

I think you've hit the nail right one the head.  Self-promotion is so much easier for niche writers who can join groups following the same niche (and much less dirty).  But generally self-promoting, if you are being allowed to do it by the site, is probably generating undesirable traffic for you, anyway.  The traffic that I want are the people that will bookmark, link, or use my page.

32. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 12 years ago

Self-promotion is not necessarily bad, but it does have to be targeted in order to be a good thing for all those involved, writer and reader.

That said, there is no harm in just trying different things out.

33. Victoria Lynn profile image88

I've been working on revising some of my hubs. Google has only been a traffic source for a few. Does it take time for Google to find them and/or rate them higher. I am enjoying some traffic and increased income due to temporary spikes in traffic from Reddit. But I'm glad to hear what you say about google. I need to focus more on that....

Google traffic takes time to come- unless you hit a topic that people are searching for and no other writer has catered for (my favorite kind but hard to spot).

I would sweat over ways to find those valuable keywords, for a while. After a time you will find them without thinking too hard.

Always bear in mind that Google traffic is the only basis for a long term income.

34. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Thanks, Will Apse!

35. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

In the two years I have been writing across the Internet, I have never seen a link from Reddit, She Told Me, Stumble Upon, Technorati, or similar sites.

I am not surprised by this either. I would prefer quality and links of value back to my work, rather than the lazy, quick link.

That's because the majority of the links on reddit are submitted links. We see an interesting article/photo and submit it. We don't take credit for other people's work, because that's unethical. These people shouldn't be spamming a social networking site, because it's unethical.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems to be a lot of unneeded defensive commentary in this thread for a single social bookmarking website, no?

36. Jean Bakula profile image93
    Jean Bakulaposted 12 years ago

I agree, Kangaroo_Jase. My experience on Reddit was a big misunderstanding about the nature of the site, perhaps because I was online at 3AM and didn't have a full understanding of the site.  But I did comply and post comments and such, I didn't just go on to leave links to my work. I went back once more, deleted anything of mine on there, and never want anything to do with it. I have learned to reasearch a site very carefully from now on, but it was an innocent mistake. I am not answering anymore questions or commenting on this again. It has gotten way out of proportion.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Jean, don't let them get to you! Best ignored.

I agree IzzyM. That's my last comment on this. I felt I had to answer the person who attacked me, as I am not hiding behind a made up name (not that there is anything wrong with screen names, I am self publishing a book and wanted to get my name out there). I also had problems on my local political forum when I was more active, people get nasty when they hide behind names. I am taking your wise advice. Take care.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not only have I flagged the person, but I have sent a message to my followers to flag the person's profile. He (?) is just here to harass you.  Hopefully everyone can get him banned.

Psst!  Jean!  They followed you!    lol  lol       http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n213/richardtubb/arrow_down.png             (Sorry, but I can't help but see a little humor in that.   hmm)

Lisa, it's getting tedious, please flag their profiles or ignore them. Thanks.

You reap what you sow. Spam and be spammed. Lol.

1. relache profile image72
                relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This.

/getting a serious kick out of this thread

I know (and sorry - no more comments on this thread from me).  I know it's easy to see humor in stuff when we're not the ones directly involved.  Still (and I don't plan to come back here) I do think  this kind of stuff doesn't have to get  tedious when it's laughed off.  But, nothing more from me.  smile

Fatigue is not an excuse for you. You claimed earlier you tried gaming reddit for profit for three days. This wasn't just a one-off shot at gaining some traffic, you spent 72 hours trying to gain traffic.

Instead of researching, why don't you create a real account and customize a few subreddits that you might like. All I know about you so far is your a fan of Astrology. Here is a subreddit you might enjoy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/astrology

Do you enjoy politics? Do you enjoy science? Do you enjoy technology? Do you enjoy sports? Do you enjoy music? Do you enjoy strange sex fetishes? We have it all over here, so instead of trying to game the site for profit and spewing insults about the community, why don't you actually give it a shot?

I didn't "game" it, I was honestly commenting and making book suggestions. I presented myself as a Professional Astrologer, and that's when the whole mess started. I have thousands of customer horoscopes I plotted and interpreted from over 35 yrs. I have studied hard in many workshops and classes. Astrology is no longer a main interest of mine, but it is more complex than the average person understands. A general column in a newspaper is the usual diss. You can't expect it's writer to cast horoscopes for it's readership and spend all those hours. It takes at least an hour to do the math for one chart, but like most things, you learn to do it faster and can get it down to 15 mins or so. Astrology is so much more than your Sun Sign position. I have never written a general column for this reason, I like to work with individuals. I tried to go on Reddit the right way, and the rules did seem contradictory to me. Can we please drop this now? I haven't been on there, and don't want to be. I write here and in other places, and like to study my interests in depth, not in little blurbs anyway. Please move on.

37. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 12 years ago

I've been on Reddit for 5 years, and I wouldn't recommend it as a source of traffic. They tend to be very sensitive to anything that might look like spam. That means posts that link to Hubpages/Squidoo/etc are going to immediately raise red flags.

In addition to downvoting spam, another favorite hobby of the average Redditor is calling BS on other people's posts. That means if you claim to be an expert in some field, you better be able to back it up. Reddit users tend to be very skeptical of everything, so bringing up something like astrology is going to whip them into a downvoting frenzy.

If you want to generate traffic with Reddit, post something original AND interesting AND make sure there isn't a heavy saturation of ads on the page. Alternatively, make your own subreddit and make a bunch of relevant posts and hope people will start following that subreddit.

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Well the Reddit guys have had their say, although I'm sure if they were writers they could have said it nicer. I suppose they are on a forum ban at the moment for the amount of personal attacks they made.
      Jean asked an innocent question on this forum. People do keep going on about the the traffic they get from Reddit, so it's only natural people will wonder why, and how they do it.
      Some of the replies from long time hubbers on this page, however, have been frankly unhelpful to say the least.
      I gave up on Reddit a long time ago, because I didn't understand it, but did realise it wasn't good traffic and raised your bounce rate.
      I won't be back even if I did have something useful to 'add' to their community.

I have never gotten traffic from reddit so frankly I can do without it. And after the rude comments posted here by those two guys I am not sure I want to use them again.

It's obvious that they joined HP just to hassle Jean or just people in general.

I say good riddance!

2. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Looking at the comments here and also in the Reddit thread referred to by one of these posters, I'm not interested in these people reading me either. Obnoxious and uncouth adolescents do not enter into my target readership.

I'm glad I never wasted any time trying to understanding the workings of their tedious, self-important little web site.

3. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I did a quick search of Reddit for 'Hubpages'

http://www.reddit.com/search?q=hubpages

Why is the word spam so often associated with our wonderful site? And what is a hubpages drone?

The first 5 results (from hundreds similar):

overview for swish89, hubpages drone (reddit.com)
      submitted 27 days ago by [deleted] to reportthespammers
      commentshare

hubpages spam from user discover2020 (reddit.com)
      submitted 27 days ago by timwij to reportthespammers
      commentshare

Using Hubpages to generate link building (linkvanareviews.com)
      submitted 1 month ago by Braile to linkbuilding
      13 commentsshare

hubpages/article spam (reddit.com)
      submitted 26 days ago by Kylde to reportthespammers
      commentshare

more hubpages blogspam; user uncagedshadow (reddit.com)
      submitted 1 month ago by timwij to reportthespammers
      commentshare

Well, I certainly willl be alot more cautious about what sites I go on. I always have been, so now doubled. I'm sorry this caused a stupid backlash like this, we can all be writing more hubs! Thanks for the support, and don't waste your time.

I reckon that is well said.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
          Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Never hurts to try new things Jean, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

4. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

Of course, the converse applies. To dismiss a whole domain as spam shows that Reddit self-appointed mini-Hitlers cannot be bothered to do a proper check of what their adolescent inquisitors flag up. It is not unheard for people to flag items because these disagree with their particular world view, no matter how uninformed and juvenile this may be.

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I don't know if many folks here pay any attention to me and what I write most often about on hubpages, or not - but I'll spell it out, I write a hell of a lot about guitars, and guitar players.

I've found a hell of a wonderful group or "sub reddit" - the guitar section of reddit.  Those people are AWESOME for me for feedback, and ideas.

Of course I'm sort of a (very fucking) anti corporate conspiracy believer - and so a lot of the other things I write here do VERY WELL on reddit, and nobody hardly cares that I post my own links - because my stuff is most often right down their alley.

Yeah - it's a tough crowd on reddit - I'm thick skinned, and redditors never cease to make me better at what I do here.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fair enough, you write about a topic of interest to teenagers therefore this site will have some relevance to you. More power to you. However, if you recommend the site to others, you need to make it clear that only topics likely to attract an adolescent audience will prosper.

I think you just insulted not only me - but tons of other persons as well

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Hmmm. Just scanned thread.  This Reddit place sounds cool.  So I just need a user ID and I can start putting some links on?

As they all sound like morons I'll probably only put my crappy pages on to start with - then if they seem up to it I could try them on some of the better stuff.

I'll give them a go with the one on cat's asses first. Here's the link <snip>.

7. Victoria Lynn profile image88

What an ugly conversation.... Why can't we all just get along? haha. Seriously, I don't understand all the hatefulness.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82

Having recently joined, posted three links to my articles and being banned I can now speak with my own experience of Reddit.

I had a look at what they call Funny over there and wasn't sure that my most bizarre, rude efforts were low enough quality for them.

But I had a go anyway.

Immediately jumped on by one of those "I own the place" saddos who said my piece was retarded. Extraordinary!

So after a few hours of lots of pointless hits - they come, they can't read, they're too young for credit cards - I get banned for blog spamming by the gentlemen with the retard comment.  Or his cronies - whatever.

As far as I am concerned - no loss to me as far as potential quality traffic is concerned.

Unless you specialise in pictures of cat's asses - I wouldn't waste time.

Hi Mark,
        Yes, now you'll probably get a spike in your traffic for a day. I understand now, that even though it's a site about links, they expect you to interact and discuss the "topics." Then they will allow you to post a link, and harass you if you try to post another.  But if you read a few, there are one or two people trying to be serious, and the majority is making rude remarks that have nothing to do with anything. It's pointless really. If people on HP can find a decent group there, and go for it, more power to them. It's not for everyone though. And they hate HP, but even earlier when those two idiots came on here to diss me and our HP community, he? seemed shocked after seeing our stuff and said in a bewildered way, "This is a site for writers?" So they really don't know what HP is about. Sorry your experience was bad. I wonder if they are that young, or older and trying desperately to sound hip?

9. Victoria Lynn profile image88

Well-said, Jean. I've been following this reddit thing, and I think you've summarized it all just right.

10. Victoria Lynn profile image88

It is  odd to me, though, why reddit is included in one of the few sites to "share" our hubs with at the bottom of our articles.

I haven't posted anything on reddit in a while. I could never find my articles that I post there anyway!

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I could never figure out if any of my hubs fit their categories  well enough to  fit their definitions.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)