What was the first record, tape, or CD you remember buying?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (59 posts)
  1. SuperheroSales profile image58
    SuperheroSalesposted 12 years ago

Do you remember buying your first album?  If so, what was it, what was your favorite song, and do you still enjoy the music now?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MY first album was a Carpenter's greatest hits album. My second album was a Saxon album - now there's a contrast!!!

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I atually liked the Caropenters too but Deep Purple was my favorites, back in the time of 8 tracks.

3. WendySingh profile image67
      WendySinghposted 12 years agoin reply to this

New Kids on the Block - Step by Step!  Wow...that brings me back just thinking about it...but I do remember my parents having MJ's Thriller album (although I was too young to have purchased it).

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That was the same one I bought as my first! yikes
        I still cringe at that lol

4. uncorrectedvision profile image62
      uncorrectedvisionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Beatles, Abbey Road, all of side two.  I played it until it was smooth and bought a second copy and then a third.  Luckily the CD was invented before I had to buy a fourth.

5. catsimmons profile image83
      catsimmonsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Daydreamer by David Cassidy.....love 'im...

6. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think my first album purchase was 'A New World Record' by ELO. Before that my first single was 'Mama Weer All Crazee Now' by Slade. They had their own way of spelling :-)

7. Cogerson profile image78
      Cogersonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bad Company'....I think their first 8 track(that is how long ago it was)...with the great songs...Good Lovin Gone Bad, Feel Like Making Love and my favorite Straight Shooter.

8. MickeySr profile image79
      MickeySrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I got music as gifts (asked for 'this' or 'that' album for birthdays, etc) but the first record I went out and bought myself was "Ramblin' Gamblin' Man" -  Bob Seger.

9. FatFreddysCat profile image94
      FatFreddysCatposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The first rock album I ever owned was AC/DC's LET THERE BE ROCK (on cassette), which I received for Christmas in 1981. I was eleven years old at the time (has it really been that long? Gulp...)

When I got my first CD player in the early 90s, that cassette had been completely toasted from ten plus years of repeated plays, so it was also the first CD I bought.

At this point I think I want that album buried with me when I die.

10. Eranofu profile image65
      Eranofuposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm ashamed. >.<
      Spice Girls, and the same year Garbage.

My taste in music has not only changed since then but got incredibly much wider.

2. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 12 years ago

Carol King - Tapestry

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Billy Joel- Piano Man

1. profile image0
      SirDentposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I used to love Billy Joel too.  He was a little later in life for me though.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

The first record I ever bought with my own money was the single I Think I Love You by The Partridge Family...

5. Sunshine625 profile image86
    Sunshine625posted 12 years ago

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack on vinyl. I also owned it on 8Track! Every song was my favorite, I still love it but I've moved on to a CD.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had that on 8-Track too smile

6. Sunshine625 profile image86
    Sunshine625posted 12 years ago

I still have an 8-Track player smile

7. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Since I was in grade school when I first started wanting records, I could only get albums as birthday or Christmas gifts because I didn't have the money to buy them.  My first album was, I think Herman's Hermits  I did spring for two 45's (at different times and 99 cents each) that caught my attention:  Petula Clark's "Downtown" ("This Is My Song" on the flip side) and "Name Game, Shirley Ellis ("Whisper to Me Wind" on the flip side - and I hated that one.  The Beatle's Second Album and Beatles 65 were two birthday albums I most remember.  Until I got to have more of my own money, I'd listen to my older sister's albums, which were heavily tilted toward "The Bobby's":  Bobby Vinton, Bobby Vee, and a Bobby Rydell or two.

8. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Led Zeppellin II, it was a 50cent 8-track, they still had them around when I was a kid, and I played that damn thing till it snapped.

9. Alecia Murphy profile image71
    Alecia Murphyposted 12 years ago

It was Usher's My Way on cassette tape. My favorite song was Slow Jam, his duet with Monica. I still love that song. It's very 90s but still timeless.

10. John999181 profile image61
    John999181posted 12 years ago

I remember as if it was only yesterday; although it was 21 year ago.

It was a frosty Saturday morning here in Newcastle where I was exploring the estate I lived on with a bunch of lads I knew.  We were at the back of our local shopping center, smashing iced over puddles with big sticks to pass the time when my attention turned to a neatly folded piece of paper skating in the wind on one of the many mini rinks we had discovered. 

"If I'm not mistaking; that looks just like a twenty pound note"

I used the old, "pretending to tie my shoe lace trick", to lower down and slip the note into my white sports sock.  Without even a goodbye, I ran all the way home, just like Charlie Bucket did on discovering the last Golden Ticket, not stopping until I was in the house. 

Because twenty pounds was such a huge amount, I had a feeling that my parents would take part of it off me as it could pay for our next holiday abroad or even get us that shiny new car.  But no, after telling them about it, I was able to keep the lot so this 12 year old was off to Town.

After 3 hours, a Big Mac meal, a new ZX Spectrum game, the biggest pick and mix bag you've ever seen and my very first LP Record I was heading home.

I couldn't wait to play my new record.  I was so excited I ran from the metro station, just like I did after finding the money.  To save carrying anything, which may slow my super speed down, I had put the game in my pocket, my sweets up my sleeve and the LP record down my jacket front.  My sister and her little brat friends were pushing prams in the front street, so I decided to go the back way.  Like it often is, the 6ft back gate was locked from the inside.  Not a problem, like any other day, I'll just climb over it.  I took two steps back, eying the fence up and down; "Easy". I brushed my hands against one another as if it would help my grip then bolted towards it, grabbing the top of the gate.  Now to find my footing on the ring latch handle half way up.  "Got it"  Now for the push up with the right foot, just like climbing a ladder and the house is now coming into view, "Done"  My Mam was at the kitchen window preparing lunch and I could smell the food, "mmmmmm".  I was so happy to be home and couldn't wait to listen to my new record.  All there was to do was swing my leg over the top of the gate and scale down the other side; then home!!!

I gave my Mam a quick wave and swung my first leg over the gate.  My body was almost lying, balanced along the top as I went to bring my final leg over to the house side of the gate; though as I lay there... "SNAP!!!!!!!!

Yep, you guessed it, that was my FIRST EVER RECORD I BOUGHT SNAPPED IN TWO...

And do you know what it was called; quite ironic really.. 

Snap - The Power

1. TamCor profile image81
      TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh no! lol   As soon as I read what you were going to do, I just KNEW what was going to happen! lol 

Poor you...did you ever get another one? big_smile

I think that my first ever 45 record was "Sweet and Innocent" or "The Twelfth of Never" by Donny Osmond...it was so long ago, I can't remember anymore, lol.

I know it cost about 69 cents, though, and I could buy albums for $4.00, so I bought every Alice Cooper or Donny Osmond album that came out, haha.  lol

11. HSanAlim profile image58
    HSanAlimposted 12 years ago

Kathy's Clown - Everly Brothers was the first record I ever bought.
    Jesus Christ Super Star was the first album I ever bought.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mine was Friggin in the rigin by the sex pistols. My mum made me take it back when she heard the lyrics.

12. rachellrobinson profile image84
    rachellrobinsonposted 12 years ago

Richard Marx, Rush Street. I was a little kid, I don't know nine ten years old and I loved the song Hazard. Still do, and I still listen to his music, just not as much as other music.

13. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

The first album I purchased by my self was Cheap Trick live at Budokan.

14. Joyus Crynoid profile image74
    Joyus Crynoidposted 12 years ago

Rolling Stones, Get Yer Ya Yas Out, Sympathy for the Devil.  Still love it!

15. miccimom profile image61
    miccimomposted 12 years ago

Madonna-Borderline-cassette tape.smile

16. Lyn.Stewart profile image68
    Lyn.Stewartposted 12 years ago

It was either the greese record or rolling stones ... sorry cant remember which but I guess that happens when you can remember the times before tapes were created.

wanders off giggling and talking to myself about the good old days

1. Zabbella profile image76
      Zabbellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's funny, cause I mentioned vinyl LP records... ( in my entry) which , put altogether in a sentence,  ages me.

17. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

It was the summer of '75 and I had been admiring this boy down the street for awhile and had finally caught his attention.  He invited me into his house.  He had a state of the art stereo system and was playing a record on it.  I immediately loved the song and since it held a special memory because of him, I had to buy the record for myself.  It was "Jive Talkin'" by the Bee Gees.  I still own the record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBw25CrUS-o&ob=av2n

18. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I was twelve when I bought my first album -- it was an eight-track tape. I can't remember the exact compositions, but it was organ music composed by Dietrich Buxtehude, one of Johann Sebastian Bach's teachers. I even wrote an article about this experience on another site!

19. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 12 years ago

I am old. Surfer girl by the Beach Boys with Little Deuce Coop on the back.

20. TorremochaJ profile image40
    TorremochaJposted 12 years ago

Me, I like air supply.

21. Gripper2 profile image61
    Gripper2posted 12 years ago

The very first music recording I ever bought was the album, "Kiss-Live"
    I bought it for $10.00 from the Spring Valley Swap Meet.

22. Zabbella profile image76
    Zabbellaposted 12 years ago

My first album ever...
    A Vinyl LP. More of The Monkees. 
    I was 11 and fell in love instantly with Peter Tork.

Still love him and have seen his solo shows at small,cozy venues where he meets and greets...I even gave him a kiss in 2009. (ah heaven)

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awwwwww......what a nice story.   I got to meet Mickey Dolenz back in the 80s at a Dallas car show where he was appearing and signing autographs.

I'd like to one day meet Donny Osmond.  smile

1. TamCor profile image81
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me, too! big_smile  Ahhh, The Twelfth of Never...I played that 45 so much my mom finally came in and made me turn it off, hahaha...

2. Zabbella profile image76
        Zabbellaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would love to meet the rest of The Monkees , but am satisfied that I met my sweet Pete twice 2009 and 2010.

23. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Meet The Beatles. I was just a child and bought it together with my best friend who lived right in the next appartment because her older sister had a record player.  We saved our allowances for weeks, and went around collecting empty soda bottles for the deposit refunds.

24. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 12 years ago

First single I bought was Jethro Tull's Living in the Past and the first album was Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's You're All I Need.

25. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I have no recollection. It's apparently not that important.

26. Laura du Toit profile image73
    Laura du Toitposted 12 years ago

First Album I bought was The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (after seeing the movie).

27. trecords0 profile image60
    trecords0posted 12 years ago

The first album I remember buying was Rush Moving Pictures, probably around 1983.  The smell still lingers in a long ago corner of my mind.  I was so careful with that record, and I would listen to it over and over reading all of the lyrics and liner notes and looking at the pictures for hours trying to unravel their stories.  It was shortly after that when I started playing drum set.  As I would try to emulate Neil Peart, every time I hit the snare it would make the record skip.  I figured out that taping quarters on top of the needle solved the problem, but I wore the record out!  Fun times.  Thanks for the question.

28. OutWest profile image58
    OutWestposted 12 years ago

The 45 School's Out by Alice Cooper...and it's still a classic

29. profile image0
    TTC12posted 12 years ago

My first record was a 45 rpm single - The Beatles: "Revolution" on the A side - not sure of the B Side - maybe "Something." I was only 7 years old, and the year was 1970. They broke up soon afterwards. I still have it, complete with my initials on it.

30. equine profile image69
    equineposted 12 years ago

Coctail. On tape.

31. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

One of the first 33rpm albums, the sound track from the movie 'Man With the Golden Arm', Elmer Bernstein. Although I was too young to buy it
    and was purchased by my mother. Have never been able to find the album free, on the download search engines.

32. RANDOMTHTS4ALL profile image60
    RANDOMTHTS4ALLposted 12 years ago

When I was 5 I remember buying Michael Jackson's Thriller album, and they even had a short film of the extended music video in the theaters. That was cool! I also bought Madonna's Like a virgin album.  Back then tapes were popular, and cd's hadn't come out yet. Now I feel old...LOL I still have my favorite songs from both albums on some mixed cd's.

33. bloggernotjogger profile image60
    bloggernotjoggerposted 12 years ago

The B52s
    Planet Claire

34. steveamy profile image61
    steveamyposted 12 years ago

Allman Brothers Band .... Live at Fillmore East

35. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 12 years ago

First cassette: Michael Jackson's Thriller
    First vinyl single: The Rockmelon's New Groove
    First vinyl LP: U2 The Joshua Tree
    First CD: Jamiroquia Emergency on Planet Earth

36. vmartinezwilson profile image78
    vmartinezwilsonposted 12 years ago

First vinyl: John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Double Fantasy as well as Shaun Cassiday's  Under Wraps, which I got at the same time.
    First cassette: Duran Duran's Seven and the Ragged Tiger
    First CD: Duran Duran's The Wedding Album

Ah, memories.

37. profile image0
    Muldaniaposted 12 years ago

The first gramophone record I bought was called 'The Charleston' and contained songs such as - The Black Bottom, Aint She Sweet, Miss Annabelle Lee, Charleston Charley, and other great dance songs.

38. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

Led Zeppelin IV, with stairway to heaven, black dog, misty ountain hop, etc...

killer album. I still jam those songs on my guitar and stereo.

39. barranca profile image76
    barrancaposted 12 years ago

Best of the Kingston Trio and second, Bob Dylan.

1. barranca profile image76
      barrancaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And Dylan still Rules!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)