National Public Radio and the BBC.......

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 12 years ago

So why is it that the NPR almost totally relies on BBC news for its source of news of the world? And how do Americans feel about that?.........

1. Sally's Trove profile image79
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think NPR totally relies on BBC for its international news coverage?

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea. I would like to hear more. (?) smile

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm just saying!

3. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sure the 20 or so American who listen to NPR love it.

As to the rest of us, it simply exemplifies what we all know.

1. profile image0

And that is ?

4. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The BBC tells the truth on many issues. Our press are lying scum.

http://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/TalebanInTX.html

The BBC reported that the Taliban went to Texas as guests of the folks who armed them, Unocal oil company. They then refused to allow a pipeline to Haliburton investments in the Caspian Sea which many believe gave Cheney motive to engage in helping 911 come to pass.

1. profile image0

I have heard this crap before , do do dooo do do , oh yea ,a conspiracy!

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

Don't matter, it is my opinion that it is just more sophisticated propaganda for the more educated.

1. profile image0

Aha , maybe you've got something there.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I listen to NPR, so I'm a little confused at how you came to that conclusion.

1. profile image0

I'm only saying that everyone loves to diss our media by saying "I listen to BBC" , so I went there ....alot . And you know what?.....They are full of crap!

4. profile image0

At least here in Vermont and on VPR , BBC dominates the liberal intellectuals listening programs . BBC is the prime source of news presented by them! It just seems strange to me ....NPR national public in the US  adhering to a policy of seemingly anti US views! Check it out.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Liberal intellectuals listening program? What is that supposed to mean? I've heard people call NPR liberal in the past. That's ludicrous. I've never noticed them offering anything but unbiased news. I realize the main stream media infuses too much of their own politics into their programming,  but I don't get that vibe from NPR.

1. profile image0

Come on Unbiased....... my ass!

1. profile image0

I'll be honest with you. The only people who make that claim are usually right wingers who get fretted when everyone doesn't agree with them. You know the type. The ones who swallow Rush Limbaugh's tripe lock, stock and barrel.

I don't know any left wingers, but I know a lot of people in the middle who enjoy NPR news. Because they report the news. They aren't attempting to swing public opinion, they are attempting to inform.

5. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

The BBC I listen to is London based, with reporters in every country in the world, reports worldwide news often with opposing views by experts on both sides of the road to accompany anything controversial and has a reputation for being reliable.

Don't Americans know there is a world outside the USA?

1. profile image0

It is difficult to remember at times, seeing as how the world appears to spend so much time talking about us (seemingly exclusively). smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It just ain't so. smile Outside the USA we get a very broad coverage of world events. I feel America is involved in a lot of those events, so why would Americans not look for a less partisan world view?

6. profile image0

Earnest , Ahhh but there is the crux of the problemo ! BBC isn't any more neutral than Fox  or MSNBC ! In fact .....whats with those Brits ....BBC is like Vaudeville or something. Forgive my spelling  but !

7. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

So, where exactly do you get your news from? What do you exactly listen to?

And, once you say, I am plenty sure enough someone will come here and diss them to?

Great unproductive thread. Another meaningless back and forth debate about media of the world.

Then again, I guess I'm not surprised considering all the top media outlets are controlled and operated by the UPPER 1% of the wealthiest of the world's population.

So....exactly what was your point?

8. profile image0

Cagsill ! Want to know a secret from ions ago ? Listen to all or as many of the outlets  as possible and then ,and only then , make up your own mind! But I understand !......Thats very hard for a liberal intellectual to do ! You see, I came from the frame of mind that the only cool-aid was back in the day!
    Not from the P.C.mindset of today!

9. profile image0

Although you might be right about the one percent owning all of the medias agenda!

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Here's an interesting stat for you....

There are only 5 companies operating in the whole world, which controls the entire wheat supply? These 5 companies are owned and operated by the Upper 1% of the world's wealthiest.

So, there's no doubt about the media outlets. wink

If you're truly interested, check out my hub on "why is world peace not happening". You'll notice that poverty and homeless are getting worse and not better, because of the upper 1% of the world's wealthiest.

10. profile image0

Cags , Back years ago , it was always said that the Jewish owned 90 % of the food production , distribution in America . The whole world?.....I don't know man but its all getting weird!

Getting weird? It's been oddly weird for almost 20 years now. lol

11. profile image0

Cags, in the seventies I was reading a column in the newspaper of my choice! Telling me all about what was going to happen in the next twenty , thirty years in America ! Each day I looked to the wisdom of what just felt right in this column! Ronald Reagan was an oppinionist before a governor. When he first talked of leadership  I though , Here is a "leader" . My point ;It was really "wierd" in the sixties and seventies! And yet though the mess of America then ! ? R .R . came across as a true American! We will survive this freaken' mess , but not until we ! We , the voting public take back this country , this constitution!

In the 70's I was just a kid. lol

12. profile image0

Ahh, and the crux of the problem , believe the older guys or not ? I comment you for thinking as you do ! I have read your posts many times. We , however learn from our elders , except now , here , in America ! There is a primetime mentality , politically , That says "Dont listen to anything anyone  tells us " ! Cagsil , I appreciate your oppinion always . But we all have to drop the cool-aid drinking mentality of "anti" everything! American that is!

I appreciate your kind words. If you're interested, I don't know if you've read this particular thread or not? However, I've given my thoughts on it.

And yes, much of the misinformation and distortion in America has to be done away with. There's no doubt about that.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83169

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)