Will you help your friend if you know his earlier losses?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. VENZKHVAM profile image60
    VENZKHVAMposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5523680.jpg
    Suppose your friend had  faced two to three failures in business and life and he wanted to bounce back  starting in the business will you help him out financially ,if yes why and if no why?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Business venture? No.

Personal survival? Maybe. Depending on my own circumstances at the time.

VENZKHVAMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why you have no confident in his ability  that he can bounce back?

He's failed before. Therefore ability is a concern. Not to mention karma, circumstances, and who know what else?

Help? Yes.

Investment? No.

Why not analyze the reason for gfailure and if it was purely no financial back jup  will not you go for it?

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First off, failures in life are meaningless to business, because one has to keep personal life aspect separated from business otherwise both suffers. Secondly, if I was in a position to offer any assistance, including financial, then I would, but I would also make sure I have time to devote ensuring his/her success and to do that, I would review and examine his past failures in business, so as to show him/her how to learn from such mistakes/failures.

excellent answer it really is an ideal  one where you a e ensuring the success comes back to him.

can you little more give details on this with a case example  i think the group gets an idea.

1. Cagsil profile image69

Not exactly sure what you're looking for, but I'll give it a shot.

My uncle lived in California and I lived on the east coast, and one day he called me. He had a business proposition for me. I asked for details, having previous business management experience, I wanted to know what he was thinking.

He asked me if I was interested in running a small kitchen in a bar/lounge. I had experience in the cooking industry(restaurants) and would provide the finances needed to get it off the ground, and if I was interested.

I told him that I was definitely interested and he paid for a plane ticket out to California. However, when I got out there, I was told I would have a partner, which then made things more complicated. My ideas were to hit the ground running, but my supposed partner wanted to do things day by day, with no real plan moving forward.

I found this very difficult. Not to mention, after about three weeks, I was working 80 hours each week, while my supposed partner worked less than one hour a day. If my friend was not a planner or didn't understand the stuff(knowledge of operating a business), then we would have to work from square one, depending. If his previous businesses failed for other reasons, like him not understanding profit margins or didn't understand supply purchasing, so as to operate effectively, then it would be a problem that would need to be corrected.

My problem in California was one of a lack of experience on my part and my partner's part. Compromise was not in his vocabulary, nor did he understand profit margins with regards to pricing the meals the kitchen would make. Nothing the less, the opportunity failed and I returned home. My uncle was not too happy with the other gentlemen(the owner of the lounge and my supposed partner).

ok cool i think  you got me nicely.
              thanks for sharing this wonderful example

1. Cagsil profile image69

You're welcome. smile

I think your story is a typical example.Many can take a point or two while they face some thing else like this and do the best they can.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 12 years ago

help. Yes.
    Money- only if I could afford to lose that money!

ok that sgood but my question si will you help the failed person taking the risk of loosing the money to help him out?

3. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 12 years ago

Friendship has nothing to do with a business investment.  I would not invest with someone unless they had a very good business plan.

Gotta do a +1 on that. smile

so you are saying the money is different from friendship, no connection correct.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 12 years ago

No I would not help him out with his business.  Why? a)His track record is not good, so I don't trust him to do well this time. I might trust such a friend in emotional matters, but not in business matters.  b) I don't like the idea of having money at stake in a friendship.  If he loses the money, I know it would affect the relationship, even if I tried not to let it be a problem. I think money can definitely come between friends.  and c) it's his business and his responsibility.  I would prefer that he work a job, save up his spare cash, and THEN put his OWN money into his business.

Now if a friend needed, say, a ride to the airport or train station or whatever, sure no problem, I would do it. That is a lot different than investing in his business! Basically as Reality Bytes said, friendship has nothing to do with business investment.

Very good judgement considering your safety. But as a safety  for your friend what have you thought?

Dont you think if you dont help him even little bit deep into the system ihe may escape?

There are many cases in life where a person attempted 3,4,5 or 6 times and then got immidiate success.

1. profile image0
        Giselle Maineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I still don't feel it necessary to help a friend by investing in his business.  Presumably he is a man that can stand on his own 2 feet  - I strongly feel the friend can work at a job and and save up money of his own and then can invest his OWN money into the business. 

I think that it is expecting too much of people to expect friends should invest in a business.  Friends can help each other in other ways: helping each other move apartment, give each other rides to the train station, but I feel that expecting a friend to invest his/her savings in a business is unreasonable.

5. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

No. I think I have an obligation to do what I can to ensure others have access to basic subsistence and liberty. Starting a business falls into the category of pursuit of happiness. That is a personal issue.

SO first your safety and then only your freinds future that is what you said  as personal means.

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea what you're talking about. If it were in my power I wouldn't let a friend go without food or shelter. I would stand up for anyone to protect them.

I would never feel obligated to foot the bill for someone else's business venture, nor would I suffer a moment of guilt for saying no. a true friend would never have the audacity to ask a friend for money to start a business.

ok so you mean to say that you will give him food and shelter but not business venture help.
          that is what i wanted to know your decision is yours . I respect that and believe you are right from your point of you

6. nimeshgraphic profile image61
    nimeshgraphicposted 12 years ago

if i have confidence on him and on his  talents and potential sure ill help him on what all i can do........

ok that is good

7. asmaiftikhar profile image78
    asmaiftikharposted 12 years ago

yes i would help my friend without caring about is previous losses.All is fair in friendship.

wow that is cool you are a real good friend every one miss in their life.

8. asmaiftikhar profile image78
    asmaiftikharposted 12 years ago

yes i would help my friend without caring about is previous losses.All is fair in friendship.

9. georgescifo profile image75
    georgescifoposted 12 years ago

This would vary depending upon the situation and reasons for the friend's earlier losses..

so you are not  decisive till now?

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Yes.

good

11. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 12 years ago

I will help analyze what went wrong in the first ones before starting fresh and efficiently the next one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)