Binmen In Britian Refuse To Pick Up CFL Bulbs

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (31 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … inmen.html

Anyone could see this coming except of course big government! They pass a law to solve one problem and end up creating an even bigger problem which will no doubt require another legislative solution and so the cycle continues. Bit by bit your freedom is eroded away by well intentioned government that believes it is better equiped to make decisions regarding your life!

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Scaremongering!

"A spokesman said last night: ‘If a low-energy lightbulb breaks, the mercury contained in it does not pose a health risk to anyone exposed.’"

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is the Daily Mail, the day that they stop scaremongering is the day that you know there is actually something seriously wrong with society.

Daily Mail readers live in a constant bubble of paranoia, too scared to leave their homes after 7pm as a result of their perception of the outside world being one in which 95% of the country is evil.

They are particularly scared of anybody under 25, anybody who isn't purely white and anybody wearing a jumper which happens to have a hood. They also hate the poor, just because they believe that it is still fashionable to do so.

More commonly known as the Daily Wail.

1. profile image0

Being from the UK, you can probably imagine the person making that statement above too. It made me chuckle, just because I have a vision of a Victor Meldrew type old man writing it.

2. Sufidreamer profile image80
            Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...or the Daily Heil or the Daily Fail. It is so bad that even my mum won't read it! smile

I suppose that the binmen will now be queueing at the dentists, demanding that their fillings are removed. They should also stop eating tuna.

When I worked on the bin rounds, there were far nastier things to worry about. wink

2. lady_love158 profile image59
        lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah and the Japanese Electric Power Company says you don't have to witty about radiation. Mercury is highly toxic would you volunteer to breath in the dust?

No dust, just a very small amount of vapour, exposed in the open air and many feet away from the operatives. Certainly much less than you would be exposed to if you happened to stand down wind of a crematorium and much less than exposure to mercury batteries!
          And certainly much less than your dentist will have been exposed to!

Like I said, scaremongering.

1. lady_love158 profile image59
            lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really? Is the EPA scare mongering too?

http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup-detailed.html

Yes!

By the way, just to remind you, your subject was binmen. You know, men who go around all day in the open air collecting large bins with lids on that they wheel to the collection lorry where the bins are hoisted about eight feet into the air, tipped and then lids opened and contents discharged!
              The binmen will rarely be aware of any content of the bin.

Scaremongering.

2. CHRIS57 profile image61
          CHRIS57posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mercury?
          If you think Fukushima, you have to put away with nuclear power plants.
          Then your are stuck with fossile and coal power plants.
          Thing is: for every ton of coal you burn for producing extra electricity for regular bulbs, there is some mercury emitted.
          So within some 4 to 5 years, more mercury is produced by burning fossile fuels than is contained in a CFL bulb. The mercury balance gets in favour of the CFL.
          But of cause you can stick with nuclear power plants, they don´t produce mercury. There are only other minor environmental hazards with nukes, aren´t there?
          Better use less energy and go for green - helps all.

3. SimeyC profile image89
        SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Correct - a single lightbulb doesn't pose any serious risk. These lightbulbs should be properly recycled - and that's where the problem lies - most people do not recycle these and place them in regular garbage.

1 lightbulb with trace elements of mercury = no problem.
        1,000,000 lightbulbs with trace elements of mercury - environmental problem in landfills.

Rather than scaremongering - the daily mail could simply have reinforced the need to recycle...

2. SimeyC profile image89

I actually wrote a hub about the dangers of the mercury in these bulbs a long time ago. This whole 'global warming' fiasco (whether it is true or not) has created a whole new way of corporations to make a lot of money with 'green' initiatives.

Al Gore didn't help the fact when he produced his documentary - real science and debate, and real solutions have been forgotten in the quest to cash in on 'green'.

I applaud governments trying to do something about the problems - but they need to follow through and get proper 'objective' commentary from real experts - not experts who just happen to want a multi-million dollar grant!

It makes me sooooo mad!

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I love Londoners, they are unintentionally funny in their own up-their-own-arse miserable f*ck way.....

"Ironic - in the name of saving the world from climate change to help the nice polar bears we are now forced to buy only light bulbs that need a haz mat team in full on suits to dispose of them.... genius which enviro numbnuts come up with this?"

lol

That made me chuckle, in that I could imagine his whiney miserable Cockney face whilst he muttered that through gritted teeth. He is right though.

3. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Those mercury containing bulbs are supposed to be properly recycled, I wouldnt pick them up in regular trash either and you shouldnt want them too.

Its not just possible exposure to the "binmen" if a bulb breaks but also where that bulb may end up and how it will be processed in the end in a traditional facility.

CFL's are stupid. LED's last 10 times as long and contain no mercury. Buyers just balk at a more expensive upfront cost and lose out on the healthier and cheaper option

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

I would love to see more LED bulbs - I have a couple of torches with them and the battery life is astonishing.

We use the long-life bulbs because they make sense for us - because of power surges, normal bulbs only last a couple of weeks, whereas the long life bulbs endure for many years. I will happily start investing in LEDs when they become easier to find smile

RE Binmen: I worked as a binman, and I was far more concerned about used condoms, used sanitary products, nappies/diapers, used syringes, mould spores, rat droppings, rat urine, dangerous microbes, asbestos, broken glass, household cleaners...

1. waynet profile image70
        waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol! used to work as a street cleaner and worried about the same and also members of the public too as they were unpredictable!

1. Sufidreamer profile image80

Filthy jobs must be rite of passage into manhood for Northerners.

That is why my response to the soft southern binmen is: Wear a mask if you are that bothered. smile

SF: I can't use Amazon.com but I will have a look at Amazon.co.uk. 

One of my friends owns a lighting store, so I might ask him if he has any plans to stock them. smile

2. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LED bulbs in the edison style are available on amazon for under $20 a piece. Specialty suppliers and bought in bulk are much cheaper than even that.

last quote I read at average us electrical  prices - a led bulb can be left on 12 hours a day for the year for a total average cost of .80- 1.60 in utility cost

Yes but longlife bulbs are about the same cost or even cheaper than incandescent here in the UK.
          For $20 (£13) I could fit my home out with CFLs and run them for the best part of a year.

1. sunforged profile image69

led = 10 years

but i am surpised that cfl's are so cheap, i still have some in my house and they were at best 3 for $10 - and ran $3 to $6 a piece if purchased individually at a drug or grocery store

Last I bought were three for a pound ($1.60)

2. profile image0

They are subsidized by our government, it's another of those EU things.

I bought mine for 20p each (30 cents), they were even Phillips, no cheapies. They are sold for less than they cost to manufacturer. Insulation (as in the stuff that you put in the loft) currently costs about £3 for a 5000 x 400mm roll. That is subsidized too.

They are effectively buying it for us, using our tax money, in order to satisfy the EU.

The supermarkets and DIY stores are drop off points for the governments hauls of free bulbs, 262 million bulbs so far, they have far more than needed too.

The 20p charge, or 33p charge in John's case, is the retailers charge for distributing our taxpayer funded bulbs.

There is a sinister twist though, the old bulbs used to give off more heat. Using the new bulbs results in your central heating having to work harder, as a result more gas is used by most homeowners. I'm not sure about the US but the extra electricity used for the old bulbs is worth less than the extra gas used to compensate for heat loss.

Who therefore offers to post bulbs to their customers for free? The energy companies of course, such as British Gas. They send us our "free bulbs" which we paid for with our taxes, the postage cost of around £4.00 ($6) per six bulbs being paid for out of the revenues from our gas bills, and then to thank them for the sh*t bulbs that we paid for our gas bills rise so that we can continue paying for those 6 free bulbs for the rest of our lives (more expensive than electricity) and our electricity bills fall very slightly.

There are people hoarding the old bulbs, which will soon be illegal in this country, and then the retailers can charge what the hell they like for our "free bulbs", which we have already paid for, because we don't have any choice but to buy them.

Yet another legacy of EU fail, a calamity. Let's all save polar bears by using more gas. I know, why don't we make the energy corps even richer? Great idea! The traditional yearly profit increase hasn't been anywhere near enough!

These bulbs were said to last 7 years. I replaced all of my bulbs four months ago. Two of them are dead already.

I was one of those who stocked up on the 'old' bulbs, I will use one for the bedroom, fuck the polar bears, there is room for them in Canada. I am an environmentalist in most cases, but not whilst squinting at a book because my lights don't shine enough. I don't drive, thus I am allowed some dispensation; I can use old light bulbs and have absolutely no worries about my carbon footprint when applied relatively.

I can't moan about the cheap loft insulation though, maybe I will get some to offset my rising heating requirements.

2. SimeyC profile image89

Exactly - if properly recycled then there will be no problem - the problem is most people don't realise they should recycle these bulbs. One bulb isn't dangerous - but when you place a million bulbs in a landfill - that's heck of a lot of mercury.

4. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

to be critical the EPA doesnt care about binmen . We have sanitation workers smile and they dont always just collect wheeled bins, they carry bags and loose debris here.

1. profile image0

Not all rubbish in the UK is in 'wheely bins' as they are called, many still just have bags. Although most of us do have wheely bins now. They look hideous on our streets though, we tend to do things small here, so there wasn't enough room on our typical terraced streets. Many of us have two wheely bins, one for recyclables and one for non-recyclables. They can be an eyesore.

5. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 13 years ago

On the same track but slightly different train so to speak, I think the stupidest thing I have ever heard is the fact that, Becotide, an asthma inhaler, which I use, had to have its old nice tasting propellant taken out and replaced with ethanol because they didn't want to get it in the atmosphere and cause global warming! Now, I don't know about you, but I would love to know how on earth it was going to get in the atmosphere! you place your mouth around it and squirt the liquid in the back of the throat! at no time does it come out of the sides! so, are you trying to tell me that if I happen to,er, well, pass anything from any orifice, it will be different when it goes through my body? so now I am stuck with pure alcohol burning my mouth every time I have a puff, and trust me it burns, and the main thing is that I feel like my mouth is the aftermath of a great party the night before, you know the one, inside of a cows a.....e! without the fun! who's idea was that? Duh!

you assume that every cartridge is used until empty before disposal

1. Nell Rose profile image89
        Nell Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do use every one up, but even if I didn't how tiny is that? I just think that maybe if people wanted to save the planet then they would just stop cutting the trees down. That's all they need to do

that would be great .. but im referring to cartridges that could be damaged in transport, expire? accident at manafacturings facilities etc etc. there is much more than just you; the responsible end user, to consider.

6. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&H … 8313435037

The UK's Health Protection Agency's advice on CFL and how to dispose of broken bulbs safely. I would be on the side of anything containing mercury being disposed of in a way that ensures that the mercury cannot leak into the environment.

One annoying aspect of them is that I have a lamp that you can turn on and off by touching, and these new lightbulbs just do not work in it

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)