Not getting this....

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. workersrightsblog profile image59
    workersrightsblogposted 12 years ago

Ok I am new here so I need some questions answered. I have been all over the FAQs and it doesnt directly answer these questions I am about to ask.

Yesterday my traffic to my hubs almost doubled specially to a specific hub. I woke up this morning to find that hubpages gave me 1 cent.. (upset)

So I checked adsense to find out that I had over 69 impressions just yesterday with no clicks (of course) with zero money...

People are making money how on this? lol

Anyways only answer I get from most people is .. keep writing hubs until I get over 900 and I will make money. I am not sure that is the correct answer. Also I have searched over the web about how to make money doing this and I read about writing about niche's and SEOs and how to write about interesting topics.

If the most average user knows NOT TO click adsense ads (which most don't) how is it again you make any money here? How in the world does hubpages pay out? One of my hubs has a red marker on it saying traffic is rising but I got paid one lousy cent. Seems to me if anyone is gaining off my work is Google and Adsense by bringing traffic to their site.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

*frustrated*

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to the site. I know it's frustrating at first, but it does get better.

Probably the reason you didn't get any clicks and only made 1 cent from the Hubpages ad program is because the views are from Hubpages. You can check that by visiting the hub and clicking on 'stats' or by using Analytics. Other hubbers don't click adverts.

Out of search engine views you can usually expect between 1-5% of visits to convert. So if you have 100 visits from Google, you might get between 1-5 adverts, depending on how relevant the adverts are to the audience. For instance - if you write a hub about how bad insurance is, you're unlikely to get clicks because Adsense will probably end up displaying adverts about how to get insurance.

Generally people talk about CPM (basically, how much you make per thousand views). With the HP ad program, you can expect to get between $1-$5 and a dollar or two from Adsense.

The reason people tell you to write more hubs is because that, not only will  you get better and faster the more you write, you'll also discover what topics work and what don't.

Hubs can also take anywhere from 6 months to 3 years to reach maximum traffic.

1. WriteAngled profile image73
        WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wish!

2. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you think that writing online is a quick or easy way to make money you will be disappointed - it's neither of these things. It takes determination, patience, a willingness to learn a whole new set of skills and acquiring vast amounts of new knowledge.

To earn decent money from adsense or HP ads you need a lot of search engine traffic - thousands of views per day. This can be achieved by writing high quality content on topics/phrases that lots of people search for. To find out how many people are searching for a particular phrase you'll need to learn about keyword research. Then you need to learn how assess competition from other pages in the search engine results pages (Serps). Then you need to learn how to apply keywords to your content - onpage SEO. Then there's internet marketing and backlinks. These are just the basics.

3. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The people who are making money have been here for more than one week and have more then five Hubs.  They also work very hard and have realistic expectations.

2. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 12 years ago

First, welcome!

I know that it is frustrating now.  I wrote like a person gone mad for a long time (I've been on Hubpages for almost four years) and it took me nine months before I hit my first Google payout. 

I took a peek at your hubs, and one piece of advice I can give you is to add more content to each hub.  Your hubs are quite short, and expanding on the content of each will not only help you get more traffic, but will also help you get better targeted ads, and more ad slots.

Also, when considering a topic to write about, choose topics that people will continue to look for in the future.  Write about topics that you are well versed in, and topics that you enjoy.  By doing so, you'll find that the hubs you produce will be lengthy, informative, and you'll have a less stressful time creating them.

For example, my hub about Navy Boot Camp is my single best earning hub overall, and the reason I wrote it is because I remember how woefully unprepared for the total experience I was, and I care about my fellow Sailors enough to want to help them as much as possible before they get to boot camp.  So, the passion I feel about the topic came through in my writing, and the Hub itself is long, very informative, and features plenty of ad spots, which means more opportunities for visitors to click those ads.  It works out in my favor. smile

3. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I reckon you need to spend some time learning what does well here. Your pages are extremely short, for example. 'NFL Week 3 Predictions' can't be much more than a hundred words.

I reckon you need to go and look at the kinds of page that the top hubbers produce. The Hubpages learning center is a good place to visit too.

1. Gina Coole profile image61
      Gina Cooleposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Will is right.  Earning money on the Internet isn't easy.  You need to be a good writer and have stong marketing instincts.  Try different approaches and see what works.  Good luck!

4. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 12 years ago

Before you write a hub, type your keyword into Google to see if there are any adverts on the search results pages (usually in very pale yellow at teh top and on the right side).

If there is no one advertising for the keyword, then you won't make a penny no matter how many readers you get for that page (as it is not a commercial word, and you can only make a profit when commerce is taking place).

If there are advertisers, then there is potential for profit - but be warned that it is harder to rank in Google for these words (you'll have to work and get some backlinks)

5. workersrightsblog profile image59
    workersrightsblogposted 12 years ago

Thank you all for the good advice much appreciated and I will remain patient and work on my content a bit more and do the research as most has recommended. One question though.. What are backlinks?

Again thanks for the help. Hopefully in a year I can post something a bit more positive.

6. Zabbella profile image75
    Zabbellaposted 12 years ago

Welcome..I guess you are doing better than I am...never even saw a cent.  I just enjoy the writing aspect of this Hubpages.

7. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Wait...you can make money...??

1. QuestionMaster profile image79
      QuestionMasterposted 12 years agoin reply to this

According to your profile, you knew that. big_smile

8. profile image0
    msivakumarposted 12 years ago

I dont have much to add as most of the points are covered by other senior hubbers.

1. Please understand that making money through HubPages is like a marathon and not a sprint.
    2. You need to use Hubpages as one among many of your online efforts to make money (others being your own sites, other writing sites, and general freelance content writing)
    3. You can use HubPages as a good reference for you. A good number of hubs and decent hub score  can act as a good reference (when you scout for projects)
    4. Have realistic expectations. You may not be ale to make a living out of HubPages, but can smartly leverage it.
    5. To get the realistic expectation you can go through the forum http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/83381

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)