Why does everyone blame the church for not believing in God?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    The Minstrelposted 12 years ago

Ultimately, Christianity is a personal thing before a personal God, not the church. Could it just be that human beings are screwed up and like any other organization on the face of this earth, the church has its fair share of screw balls? To not believe because of a few pharisees is foolish. If we were honest with ourselves, many don't believe or follow God because we like living without any rules or consequences. Sadly, we can ignore the rules and consequences (the ten commandments), but they won't ignore us. What do you think?

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think if you were actually honest with yourself, you wouldn't believe in invisible friends.

1. profile image0
        The Minstrelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have enough faith to be an atheist.

1. profile image0

I don't have enough faith to be an agnostic either.

2. A Troubled Man profile image59

It takes honesty, not faith.

1. profile image0

I honestly believe in God. You honestly don't believe in God. Fair enough.

Yes, I am honest with myself and you are not.

1. profile image0

Really? You must be omniscient. You must be God. For only a God could say that there is no God or even judge my heart. Hence, the problem of man: they, like you, believe they are the center of the universe. You are truly a troubled man. You are sincere, but sincerely deceived.

What does that have to do with anything? That isn't even an argument. I could easily same the very same thing about you and the fact you must be omniscient and must be a god yourself that you could say there are no other gods than the one you have chosen to worship.

See how that works? Entirely irrelevant.

So, your only real argument is to insult me. Typical believer. Dishonest as the day is long.

2. profile image0
                  Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not to argue the rest of your post, but this statement is a little off kilter. You do realize that religion and believers reflect that argument, more than atheists or agnostics?

By your supposed connection to the creator, you have aligned yourself in such a way as to assume a place close to the center. The creator represents the center of the universe.

Most non believers understand they are a minute part of a vast universe.  They see themselves as insignificant, in many ways. Believers, on the other hand, consider themselves so important that they have are well known at the center.

2. OutWest profile image57
      OutWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately for some people they do not know how to believe in God without religion.  Some think it goes hand in hand.

1. profile image0

Good word. We do not need religion, but relationship.

1. profile image0

You know, this always fascinates me. You have religion. It is obvious  in your OP. Why do Christians deny it?

1. profile image0

No, my OP focuses on relationship with God over the church.

1. profile image0

You make a comment about people not wanting to follow the ten commandments. That is a part of your religion? If not, I'm confused as to why it was brought up.

1. profile image0

Relationship with God naturally leads to a change in lifestyle (following a set of morals). It's not anything and everything goes. The same can be said when one gets married. There are changes. There is love and accountability.

1. profile image0

I get that. But the changes you make are in line with what you read in  scriptures, as recognized by the Christian faith. You follow the  Bible of the Christian faith. It isn't as if you are making changes in line with the Quran. Correct?

1. profile image0

I know this sounds a little mystical and other-worldly, but Christianity based on the Scriptures is somewhat supernatural. Resurrection,water turning into wine, demons being cast out, healings, and other incidences in the Bible give Christianity that supernatural flavor. When I read the Scriptures, I hear the heart of God. His Spirit wrapping around the ink and paper make it a supernatural experience. As I follow his voice through Scripture, it works out in my life. Jesus even encouraged everyone to obey his teachings to find out whether they were true or not. It is a step of faith. Following the Bible is not religion, but hearing the heart of God. It's his voice. It's part of the relationship building. Also, I need to look at all of Scripture on a topic, rather than one little verse out of context. This prevents one from error.I hope this helps.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am sure it is comfortable for you to assume people don't believe on God because they are stupid (blame the church) or lazy (don't want to follow rules).  But I think you should open you mind a little bit more and consider that their life journey just lead them to sincerely not believe in God--and that does not make them an inferior class of people.

1. profile image0

Actually, I don't think people are lazy or stupid, just rebellious. We want to do our own thing. God represents relationship over religion, but also an absolute morality, which people don't like. I'm cool with personal choice. Everyone has that right. I'm not calling you inferior either. Why would my encouragement to seek God rather than church make you feel inferior? Be at peace. That's not my purpose.

4. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Church believes in Trinity; they don' believe in ONE- the Creator God.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think the claim is that God is One but with 3 aspects, like humans with the ego, super ego and Id. Not that I believe any of it mind you, sounds more like a god with multiple personalities (something that is considered a mental illness amongst humans).

1. profile image51

Jesus did not believe in Trinity; it was coined by the Church.

True, Jesus was a good jewish man smile

or a fictional character wink

1. profile image51

Jesus- the man was a reality; the Christian make him a god, it is a fiction alright.

2. profile image0

Huh?

5. nightwork4 profile image60
      nightwork4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

i don't believe in god simply because there is no such thing. it has nothing to do with any church, it's just i think therefore i know god is a myth.

1. profile image0

OK

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I think, the ten commandments that refer to human interaction are, for the most part, observed by all. As to the ones that reference God; the church has done quite a bit to advance the cause of atheism and the step toward agnosticism.

You can't make ridiculous claims that are obvious lies and expect intelligent people to smile and nod. After a while, you simply get tired of pretending what the church claims is true.

I am agnostic. I have every desire to understand the nature of an entity, if it exists; but the one the Christian church and the Muslim faith have proposed is an obvious lie.

1. profile image0

I encourage you to press your issues with God through prayer. I understand the struggles you have with the church, but don't let that get in the way of a personal relationship with God. However, there are many Christians that follow out of a good and sincere heart. They are the real deal.

1. profile image0

I have no beef with christians as long as they keep their faith in perspective and follow the love your neighbor rule. When their faith breaks from that, then I voice an opinion.

As to prayer, I could sit around and talk to myself; I guess. But, the way I see it; if there is a God, he knows my mind and my heart. As things stand; the ball's in his court.

3. profile image0
    The Minstrelposted 12 years ago

Fair enough. Thank you for sharing.

4. Jerami profile image57
    Jeramiposted 12 years ago

The Minstrel; Emile R;  great conversation and I agree with everything you both just said.

A Troubled Man;  some OLE  same OLE.

5. profile image0
    Wentworth35posted 12 years ago

It would depend which church you are referring to.  Many protestant European churches have a problem, because many members of the clergy do not believe in God themselves.  It is estimated that 25% of Anglican priests are atheists, and similar figures exist for other churches.  If the clergy do not believe, why would they expect the laity to?

1. profile image0

True. Why would an atheist become a minister? These people are truly conflicted individuals or maybe schizo?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not at all.  They become ministers to make a living, or perhaps for the feeling of power they will have over people (pretty much the same reason organized religion exists).  They don't expect the laity to believe, so they work hard at their preaching to convince them to do so in spite of very good reasons not to.

1. profile image0

Twistedness can be found on both sides of the aisle. Hypocrisy is rampant.

6. profile image0
    Virgil Newsomeposted 12 years ago

This is what James wrote about religion.

Jas 1:27  Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

According to Strong's religion is defined as:G2356
    θρησκεία
    thrēskeia
    thrace-ki'-ah
    From a derivative of G2357; ceremonial observance: - religion, worshipping.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)