Scr*w Bank of America

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (43 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I mean seriously.

"NEW YORK (AP) -- Bank of America plans to start charging customers a $5 monthly fee for using their debit card to make purchases. The fee will be rolled out starting early next year."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Bank-of-A … 25092.html

1. skear profile image92
      skearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It seems like BOA has fees for everything.  I never understood why so many people use them.  Maybe I'm missing something though.

paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why either. I guess Bank of America customers just don't care about their money or just plain don't know any better. sad

1. Paul Wingert profile image61
          Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

People with BOA accounts should find another bank. With all the BS (foreclosing on homes that are not one of countless examples) BOA has been pulling, why they are still in business is beyond me.

2. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ugh! Are you serious? That is ridiculous! More money for the bank as if they do not have enough.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 12 years ago

If you don't want to pay, find another bank - there are plenty of them.

If you are right in being outraged, BOA will find their debit card business diminishing considerably and rescind the fee; more likely the apathy of the American public will swallow it without a problem and soon all banks will follow suit.

The part of your post that I have bolded is very probably exactly what will happen.neutral

I, myself, haven't paid any sort of monthly account or card fees in decades. I've even written a PSA hub about that and how easy it is to do. Like you said, I guess people just don't care. neutral

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You left a little out of your post - no bolding, no copy.

I haven't paid, either, and as long as there is a bank in my area that doesn't require it, I won't.  I did once, for a couple of years, until a second bank came into the small town where I lived.  The day the second bank opened was the day the first bank lost my accounts.

Really? Is your "You left a little out of your post - no bolding, no copy." not visible immediate above this sentence?

I'll also bump the original to see if still there. It will be interesting if we are seeing different things on our screens.

It is not.  Your entire post is:

"Really? Is your "You left a little out of your post - no bolding, no copy." not visible immediate above this sentence?

I'll also bump the original to see if still there. It will be interesting if we are seeing different things on our screens."

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

bump? Is the bolded Wilderness quote there?

no.

On the other hand I assume that "Is the bolded Wilderness quote there" the bolded paradigm quote is.

and my attempt works fine, at least to me.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61

This is interesting. I'm beginning to think your forum setting is somehow not showing your own post when requoted by someone else.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

BOA isn't doing anything most of the other banks aren't also doing. I don't use a debit card; but my son just switched banks for that exact reason. It's bs. It costs them much more to handle and process checks.

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

Aha! I figured it out! Top-right of page. Click "Chronological" instead of "Threaded". smile smile smile

5. K9keystrokes profile image82
    K9keystrokesposted 12 years ago

BofA has to recoup all of the money they lost by approving the millions of sub-prime loans that went belly-up along with the non-savvy money borrowers they duped into no-interest, low-interest, bend-over loans. Their current home inventory far out weighs the dollar value required to quench the big bank craving for revenue. It's just another way to high-jack the consumer for no good reason. Once again the public will willingly pay for the big banker mistakes (with a complacency that feeds the thieves day and night). Wake up people! These guys are laughing all the way to...well...BofA! mad

6. plainjane44 profile image60
    plainjane44posted 12 years ago

People, People!!! Bank of America is just that.  A Boa.  It surprised me royally with credit card calls.  If you are a day late on your credit card, you will get a call from a call center suggesting you send in triple or quadraple the payment that you usually send if you are a day late.  What is going on?  Please, please, please!  I think I know the answer:  they are going to be in default if they don't pay their share of the funds to the FEDS.  They are in trouble.  Yes they are.  I have had to deal with their callers(creditors).  It makes me sad.   I am taking a second job to be done with them.  NO MORE Bank of Amerika!

7. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

I closed a Bank of America account this morning.  I was tired of the fees from when I didn't do transactions with them.

Be careful.  Small business accounts can get $9 fees for online banking and $16 service fees.  I just did a fair amount of research on checking accounts and in the process of switching accounts.

1. K9keystrokes profile image82
      K9keystrokesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't blame you Paul. It's bad enough to be charged fees to use your own money, but getting charged for NOT using it-- that's just robbery!

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 12 years ago

Perhaps I am reading it wrong - but it seems the charge is associated with using an atm card at a sales terminal with the "debit" option.

Since, many banks i have worked with charged a "convenience fee" for using the debit function and then one must type a pin, Ive always used the credit option instead.

From what I read, using your BOA atm card as "credit" will remain free of any bank charges.

Why do people even use the "debit" option? I dont like the risk of exposing my pin publicly so frequently,(you might be amazed at how frequently cameras at atm's and POS are placed by thieves, including store employees) is it that hard to just be aware of your balance when making purchases?

Thats the only benefit i know of .. one cant overdraft with "debit" .. is there others I am missing?

If you have a cell phone, you can check your balance with a simple text message and if you have a smart phone - there is a BOA app for all platforms.

I certainly would love to protest any bank fees, im not sure the bastards have ever done anything good for me other than earn interest on my balance and charge merchants for all my transactions but is this a real issue?

Do people really have "just" debit cards? You can walk into any gas station and buy a credit/check card now,

1. leahlefler profile image97
      leahleflerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sunforged, the article I read on the new fee proposal by BOA would charge a monthly fee for debit cards even when used with the "credit" option. CNN states a $5 fee will be charged no matter which option is selected by the user (debit/credit).

Should be illegal...

9. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

It may make some of you feel better to know that there are worse than Bank of America! smile

In the first quarter of 2010, my UK bank charged my sole trader business account almost £700. That is over $1,000 (US) and all were service charges. Not one solitary charge was a default charge. (I best not name the bank but a clue is that they are the UK's largest bank - and they are Scottish, not English!) Most of the charges related to me having cheque (check) payments made to me in US Dollars converted to Pounds Sterling. I have no excuses for not addressing it sooner other than that there were things going on in my life which made bank charges the least of my worries.

It came to a head for two reasons. I noticed on my statements each month a charge of £35 ($50) for service fees and £38 ($55) for management fees. Conveniently, my business manager at my branch had retired and not been replaced, so I asked a young girl in the branch one day precisely what was the difference between the two. I kid you not, she looked at me as though I were stupid and said, "Well, obviously, this is your account management charge and this is your account service charge!" I don't know how I kept calm...

I happened to change accountants at the time and my new CA looked at my bank statements and flipped. He put me on to Barclays and my monthly fees are now circa £15 ($22). Granted, I have less dollar cheques these days to convert but even the ones I do have, they charge but a fraction in commission compared to my old bank. If you are in the UK and looking for a quality business account, I can't speak highly enough of them.

Quite a difference from less than two years ago...

Wow Gordon, that sounds very intense.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image94
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

History for me, K9, I'm glad to say! smile Just hate the idea of others falling in to the traps.

That's just part of what makes you such a good guy Gordon! smile

10. paradigmsearch profile image61

NRF Responds to Bank of America Debit Card Announcement

"Every time Congress takes a step to protect consumers, the banks use it as an excuse to raise fees. We've seen it when Congress limited late fees and overdraft fees and now we're seeing it with swipe fees. Just as merchants and consumers are about to get some relief, they're doing it again."

Whole article at:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nrf-re … 2011-09-29

1. Lord De Cross profile image68
      Lord De Crossposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Something is fishy in here..This morons from BOA have a monopoly with our unemployment debitcards... and do your search..they opened bank accounts for illegal immigrants..and possible as of today...god strakie me down, they are doing the dirty money laudering"legally"..even from the MEXICAN CARTELS... do the math

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am disgusted! It is wrong. sad

2. K9keystrokes profile image82

despicable...

11. Lord De Cross profile image68
    Lord De Crossposted 12 years ago

I wonder how many big shots(BOA) got huge raises..and kept the money that Obama GAVE for the housing bail out mess! huh?

Too dang many!

12. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Banks are just perpetuating the idea that people have money. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's funny how people buy into things they haven't a clue about. It's just like "credit"- it shouldn't even exist.

Those who have credit have bought into the idea that a debt system is workable. Ask the government how it's working out so far? Broke to the tune of $100 Trillion.

The green pieces of paper you have in your pocket are valued at $.05, if that, regardless of denomination of bill. wink Not to mention, each bill is nothing more than a promise to pay and/or an IOU granted to the public by the Federal Reserve Bank. Business accept them, because the government is supposedly backing the usage with physical assets.

Banks are nothing but a fraud on the public. The U.S. Constitution states that no debt is allowed to be paid for in anything other than gold and/or silver. Yet, millions of people continue to use so-called paper money. Something that was completely outlawed before America even became a country. It was outlawed because it could destroy the global marketplace if used and abused.

Wake up people!

Nice explaination and wake-up call.

13. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 12 years ago

I have been thinking about not using a bank at all... I think that sounds like a good plain....Whos with me???? lol

1. Cagsil profile image72
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Believe it or not, if every citizen took their money out of the banks, then the entire Economy would crumble. And, all pricing structures would be reset, reassessed for their true value, because Wall Street would also crash and would be exposed for the fraud which has been fueled by too much speculation on behalf of investors.

Most of what's on Wall Street is nothing more than paper. It's not actually tied to real money. It's all leveraged against over priced assets, which were inflated on nothing of genuine value.

So, go ahead. Pull your money out of a bank. lol

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I did, a long time ago.....

1. Cagsil profile image72
          Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cool Kmackey. It's nice to see you also. smile Hope you're well. smile

14. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

Find a good credit union.

15. paradigmsearch profile image61

rebekahELLE speaks with un-forked tongue. smile smile smile

16. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

I actually worked at a call center that was contracted to answer BOA calls.  I could tell you stories that would curl your hair.  I walked out one evening after effectively having my hands tied on a situation that left this poor guy stranded three states away from his house with his kid and no way home and no money.

They cut his credit limit with no notice. 

I may have broken a rule or two that night... can't remember though, it's kinda fuzzy to me.

17. paradigmsearch profile image61

Well, well... Our media is definitely not entirely useless. They are still piling on all over Bank of America re: their $5 fee. So much so that they are setting up shop in front of Bank of America branches and telling the customers about it and interviewing them. Who knows? If the media really does come through here, they just might put a stop to it. I know, I know, I'm dreaming. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)