Do You Feel Good About Being A Consumer?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (18 posts)
  1. road2hell profile image64
    road2hellposted 12 years ago

Dwight Eisenhower advised that the American economy’s “ultimate purpose” was “to produce more consumer goods.”  The solution was first expressed in the Spring 1955 issue of Journal of Retailing.  To maintain economic growth, the author, Victor Lebow, stated :
        Our enormously productive economy demands we make consumption our way of life, that we convert the buying and use of goods into rituals, that we seek our spiritual satisfactions, our ego satisfactions, in consumption.  The measure of social status, of social acceptance, of prestige, is now to be found in our consumptive patterns.  The very meaning and significance of our lives today is expressed in consumptive terms.
    Does it follow by what polices that were set up back in 1955?  I would suspect so…  Do you feel good that our society was actually molded by an economic policy that we must purchase goods and services whether we need them or not?

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's capitalism for you!

road2hellposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't feel you have been mislead?  used?  brainwashed? Like isn't there more to lliving besides addictive shopping?

1. John Holden profile image60
          John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Who said I'd bought the dream?

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

Wow. I was told I was out in left field when I was telling people how the government implemented policies to support that statement. And I'd never read that statement. It was just obvious by looking at the gradual shifts and how the average American has slowly become deeper in debt since the fifties.

I don't feel guilty about being a consumer. You have to consume to survive, and we will all make an impulse purchase from time to time. But I refuse to buy into the big picture. I keep purchases as simple and as environmentally friendly as I can. I refuse to be influenced by marketing.

I hate the system, but it is what we live in at the moment.

Well done.  Too many people believe that the American Dream is to be above everyone else, put on a false imprssion, look better than everyone else.  I think you have done well avoiding the marketing trap.  I hate that underlying notion "Consumer Beware".  It should be "Producer Beware".

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

I want to point out that the question is faulty.

In order to be a consumer, one must first produce at least an amount of wealth that equals the wealth it takes to keep them alive.

Thus, we're all consumers and we are all producers.

Yes I agree.  And that is what I can sustainable living.  Live within your means.. You really don't have to spend your money on expensive toys which you lose interest in over the next ten days!

1. Broward James profile image54
        Broward Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Living within your means" is great advice, but then you say "You really don't have to spend your money on expensive toys which you lose interest in over the next ten days!"

That second part of your comment has nothing to do with "sustainable living" because if someone can afford such expensive toys they are still practicing a sustainable lifestyle.

You are preaching some kind of utopian idealism of a minimalist lifestyle. If that's what you want, do it. Don't force others to sew their own hemp clothing and wear bags on their feet.

4. DonDWest profile image71
    DonDWestposted 12 years ago

I don't consider myself a consumer. I'm so adverse to spending. All I care about is meeting the minimal subsistence in food; and even I find this a damn inconvenience. I'm so stingy with my money that friends, family, girlfriends, etc. buy me stuff just so I won't look like a homeless person. You should try it one of these days.

Even the Unabomber was a consumer. I'd wager a darn good bet that you spend a whole lot more on consumer goods than he did.

You're on a computer, right? If it isn't yours, you are using someone else's consumer purchase so you are a mooch as well as a hypocrite.

1. DonDWest profile image71
        DonDWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Someone doesn't have a sense of humor and can't detect sarcasm.

Well, sarcasm doesn't actually come across very well in text format.

That's why many people /sarc at the end of their comment. Anyhow, then I guess you understand very well if you were mocking them. (I've been talking to a lot of OWS types who actually speak like that...but are 100% real.)

1. sighbabe profile image58
            sighbabeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

2. DonDWest profile image71
            DonDWestposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, I admit I was sort of mocking the thread in question. The title could have been worded "do you feel good about being an eater?" (essentially the same question) and we wouldn't even be having a debate.

Now, on a more serious note, I actually do hate being an eater. I hate eating, sleeping, clothing, housing, and shiating. I feel mankind would be much more efficient without such damn inconveniences; unfortunately I don't easily see a way around this.  .

5. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Keynesian Economics (the stuff that every mainstream economist spouts daily) openly admits that it matters not what you buy, so long as you are buying things.

This is clearly nonsense, but whenever I speak out against it here on HubPages, people like Ralph Deeds tell me I worship a voodoo god.

The obviously correct answer is that a healthy economy is one that gives the people what they want, not one that gives them "whatever".

The understanding of Austrian Economics allows the learner to quickly understand why the US and World economy is in a very dangerous situation. I highly recommend everyone begin their study of it at mises.org, or you can begin by checking out my hubs. (sorry for the plug).

6. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

Well, the last fifty years have been quite a party. Of course, I wouldn't want to clean up the mess afterwards.

But then, with any luck I won't have to.

7. profile image56
    SanXuaryposted 12 years ago

I do not mind being a consumer but despise the fact that every aspect of my life is dependant on it and my choices are limited by those who control it. I would rather support local agriculture and small businesses rather then vast corporations who believe that I must be convinced of my dependence on them. I do not believe that bigger is better and that success in large things makes more people successful or better off. I feel that society has become less grateful of others and has found it easier to simply throw away people like any product. Most advertising today is not educating and mostly insults are intelligence. We have all simply become another product and we are no longer citizens but consumers being sold everything to include the latest politician. Uneducated we are not sold healthy choices and now suffer a health crisis. Medications that have on average 30 side effects and we mostly consume them for convenience rather then changing our life style. If any part of our infrastructure was to break down we would have very few skills in order to survive. Most of us would live on soda pop and snacks any way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)