Let's Get Real? How Much Money Can We Make Per Month

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Simran K profile image59
    Simran Kposted 14 years ago

I am talking about best and worst scenarios. I have been through many posts on the forum and other places. From what I understand, you can hope to make (in the best case) about $1 per month per hub. So is that true for many of you? For instance, if I go berserk and post 1000 hubs (don't even ask me how) can I hope to make $1000 per month? Am I way off the mark or am I close? Thanks, would really appreciate some clarity here. If hubbers can reveal some real numbers (last year's numbers would also be fine) it would help all us new wannabes.

1. profile image0
      ysdataposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Simran K

I have been tracking some stats since the hubchallenge you can view them here http://hubpages.com/hub/Diary-Of-A-Mad- … You-Part-2

2. Everyday Miracles profile image84
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I wouldn't say that $1 per month per hub is accurate. I have one hub that has done nearly that much just TODAY and I published it two days ago! LOL

3. jennshon4 profile image61
    jennshon4posted 14 years ago

Wow, it is encouraging to see that writing Hubs actually can work to make some money!

Are you using any particular formula for that kind of response?  ie. more than 10 keywords, a lot of click through ads, forum posts, promoting other places, etc.  I am also a newb and enjoying pouring through this wealth of forum information.

Thanks!

4. Everyday Miracles profile image84

That might have been a fluke. It's the first time I've gotten that kind of response in one day to a hub. The timeline should tell you, that's hubpages traffic, too. Not ranked yet in the SERPs.

One of my other hubs, Why Sex is Important to Men (also mostly HP traffic) did more than $3 this first month I believe. Traffic on that one is starting to die out though.

I've only been here a little over a month, so I don't have an extended period of time to watch these hubs. I'm expecting payout in July, most likely. And I don't know that I'm doing anything special, just tackling subjects that I know people will want to look at, and ones that will give me relevant ads.

The one that has done so much today is about Breastfeeding.

5. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Well by the end of April I had 15 hubs and made about $15 in that month so I would agree that $1 a hub is a good estimate.  However, it depends on quality of the hub as some of my hubs get more traffic, and more clicks than others.  Also its worth noting that traffic and clicks aren't necessarily related.  However large amounts of traffic to a hub do help greatly (such as one of my hubs which made a lot more then $1 on one particular day recently.

6. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Oh we can make lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, If you make it your personal mission to research good keywords and a mix of different keywords, then you can build up large volumes of traffic over time to your hubpages, good keywords make relevant ads for adsense, but also I would consider optimizing for the other things you have too, like the Amazon and Ebay capsules, a relevant product for a relevant paragraph works just aswell.

Kontera links are a seperate sort of optimization as the ads that they have are rather general and not as expansive as other ad network advertisers.

I'm on an average of $145 a month through adsense, but that is not all directly attributed to hubpages, I have blogs and other webpages on the web.

So it is all about using what you have and the interests that you know and can write about that can carry you forward on content revenue publishing sites.

7. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

But is it all about quality I ask ?  I have noticed one writer that fires out a few hubs a day that are short and not that badly written, average I would say but because most of the hubs are about womens products the Adsense ads are just amazing and so fit the hub. Sometimes I think it might be better just writing about womens products because Adsense seems to smile on it. Any thoughts on that ?

1. dwilliamson profile image61
      dwilliamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the idea badcompany99. I think I might start writing hubs about women's products too. I am, after all, a woman.

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was wondering what those bumps in your top were smile

"Gee, I think I am going to have to change my profile pic now," I say as I am turning red as a beet in the face.

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Certainly I think it's worth writing hubpages about products of any sort, just imagine writing a few product hubpages a week, just think of the brands that would stay around awhile and the specific keywords of the ads that could show up.

A little research is required for this type of working with the advertisers.

9. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Basically evergreen products then which would stay in years to come. I am seriously thinking of changing the way I write and what I write about. Humor is fun but it doesn't put the dollars in the adsense box. Cheers for the reply Waynet.

10. Everyday Miracles profile image84

It's a bit more than that, BC. Keyword research helps, but I'm still a bit lost on it. I'm beginning to gradually find some higher-paying topics (one hub I'll be publishing next week has some high paying keywords), but it takes time to figure it all out and discover the best ways to do thinks. Mark Knowles was saying he learned everything he knows by experimentation, and I guess he's right in that this can be key to really figuring out how to bring the money in.

Of course Wayne is right in that product-related hubs can do well, but my personal discovery is that hubs about something that has an associated product do the best. An example is my hub about deciding to breastfeed. It has a bunch of relevant ads to "breast pumps," "nursing cover-ups," and things of that nature. And it's generating clicks. I did a tiny bit of keyword research on the subject and will, therefore, be writing more breastfeeding articles wink

You're right: You probably won't earn a ton in Adsense revenue from comedic hubs. But what about using Amazon or ebay to sell comedic movies or books? It might work out, especially if you edit the already published hubs to add them in. You need to do what you're good at, rather than what somebody else tells you to do. Ultimately it's impressions that generate clicks, and you could wind up with a lot of back links to the type of hubs you've been writing (the comedic ones).

What you need is essentially evergreen content that people want to read with keywords that produce relevant ads on which people want to click. In order to make *good* money, those relevant ads need to be related to high-paying keywords. Yes, it's complicated wink

1. profile image49
      badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sure is and I am still trying to work out the perfect formula but I am getting there. How you are writing 100 hubs in 30 days is beyond me because they are all good quality. Methinks yer keyboard may need replacing lol, enjoy your Sat night and good luck finishing the challenge.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks! I'm going to need a lot of luck! I'm feeling quite sick today which means I'm not getting a lot done and I had a couple of days where I didn't quite make four hubs. One day I only managed one! Ugh!

I'll manage 30 at least though smile

Hey, EM, I hope you feel better soon. I'm having an off day today due to back pain and the fact that my little rug-rat baby kitten, Arrow, wanted to play all night and kept me up til 3:00 am and then he decided he wanted to get up at 6:00 am. He is sound asleep now though smile. I think I'm gonna have to wake him so he will sleep tonight.

2. jennshon4 profile image61
      jennshon4posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is amazing me how much is really involved in all of this!  Complicated is quite an understatement.  I'm glad I have no where to be tomorrow as I plan to spend the entire day researching things like keywords and reading up on the Hubpages blog, forum posts, etc.  I also have a lot of work ahead of me to figure out how to format my hubs as well.  It really is never as simple as "we are writers" is it?  We also have to be sales people, marketing gurus, clairvoyants.  Good thing we type fast or most of us would be working 27 hour days.

All joking aside I must say that I have belonged to many online communities but none as overtly helpful and friendly as this one.  It is nice to find a place where I feel like I belong where I can learn so much from so many talented people!

3. Mrvoodoo profile image56
      Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This seems to be the way to go, straight product reviews for me receive no traffic at all, because anyone searching for a specific product are almost definitely going to be confronted by an eBay or Amazon etc. listing in Google before getting to your hub.  But something that ties in with and promotes the same product indirectly is a different story.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image84
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup! I did a book review hub yesterday that is meant to be read. We'll see whether or not that happens. Just an idea I had, will be interesting to see how it turns out!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
          Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good luck with it, let us all know if it turns out to be a cash cow, I have a hell of a lot of books ripe for milking if so. smile

* Although my memory is so bad these days I've forgotten what most of them are about.

11. dwilliamson profile image61
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

As for me and my adsense, when I started writing for hubpages 4 weeks ago, I already had about $65 in my google account from my children's story website that I have. With that site, I have been getting a google payout about 3 times per year. I have written over 100 hubs in the last 4 weeks, 27 of them in that last few days for the hub challenge and I've got 73 more to go over the next three weeks or so. I am not quite averaging a dollar a month per hub yet. I do expect that I will be though. I understand it does take time to get the search engines to recognize you. I think I have made about $10 so far just off hubpages in the past 4 weeks. I am rather green about keywords though. I don't know exactly what I am doing but over time I am sure I will figure it out. I'm not in this to become rich overnight. I would like to build myself up though so that I can make a fairly decent amount of money in a few years from this.

12. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I actually had two hubs that I pretty much left alone for an entire year before I even contemplated for signing up for google, ebay, and amazon affiliates.  Give it a few months to a year before you even start to worry about earning because by then your hubs will be garnering some traffic.

13. charlemont profile image73
    charlemontposted 14 years ago

$1/hub is a rough estimate. It's just so easy to create a hub that will never make a single dime. Doing some basic keyword research and narrowing the topic can produce much better results.

14. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

Well there is one website where the author claims to have made over $80 in March from Adsense alone.  I am guessing that this is this person who has only 38 hubs.  That means that each of his hubs made more than $2 on average in March.

15. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I'm still trying to figure the whole thing out but it seems to me that in order to get ad clicks or sell affiliate products, you need a hub that will appeal to people who might be interested in spending money on something.
    I've written a few hubs on saving money and seen hubs about dumpster diving and trash picking. The people who are interested in getting something for nothing are not going to be clicking away at the ads or buying stuff on ebay or amazon. One would think.

16. bgpappa profile image77
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Just write good stuff, be active and the money follows.  I am a believer.  Even though I am not getting rich on Hubpages, over time I have seen my revunue grow steadily.  I am actually making money every day now on Adsense (though not much) and have begun getting referalls through Amazon and Ebay.  Took some time though.  Didn't have any clue what I was doing when I started and the revunue showed that but over time, after reading some great hubs on the topics and reading the great hubbers on here, I learned some tricks and it is working great now.

So now I get to vent, write about things I like and care about, and, oh, ya, make a little money.

These posts (no offense to the original poster) asking after two days how can they make millions in a week are starting to get annoying.  There really is great stuff written on the topic by other hubbers.  Give those hubbers some page impression and learn something.

17. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

If you are looking to get search engine to your hub you may find that hub useful And its the serarchers that make you money not friends admiring your writing ...

As per the original question - yes there are lots and lot of real people making money here - just search the forums I have posted my income figures more than once and now havent got time cause Ive got 85 more hubs to write this month :-)

18. Jerry G2 profile image91
    Jerry G2posted 14 years ago

Realistically I think that given enough time and quality writing one could make if not a full time income, then a very close supplemental.  A lot depends on traffic, keywords, how good you are at writing hubs that match up with ads and get ranked in the search engines, etc.

There are a lot of variables.  Right now Hubpages makes me about $20-$25 a month, with $30 on a good month.  Each month it goes up a little more, but things can change.  One of my earliest hubs gets 150-300 people a day and for a month it made me about $25 a month alone, but then the advertisers paying for matching Google ads went from 5 to 1 and now I just get a lot of traffic and a few bucks a month from that one hub.

I'd say in general if you match hubs up to ads and market them, then eventually you could figure out a consistent average each month per hub.

19. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

One of the nice things about google adsense is that it is now tracking the way surfers use the internet and anticipating what they are looking for.

So even if you write on an off-beat topic, your visitor might see something that is of interest to them.

I wrote a bit of an off-beat hub about a book that I was reading, and I am amazed that it's made some $$$ already.

20. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I have been earning on HubPages since last month and am very happy with my earnings thus far, it's all about writing content that the ads will 'match'.

Think of it this way, if I'm searching for a Prius Car review, I'm a LOT more likely to click on an ad for a Toyota Prius.

If I'm searching for nice ways to feel happy, you probably can write something that will help me, but there will be no ads in your hub that I'd want to click. Your ads could be really random like Nascar products or teeth whitening ads. Chances are, since I wasn't searching for that information, I'm not going to click.

If you're not writing content that doesn't have very targeted ads (stuff that people are searching for), you won't make much, if any money. Almost all of my hubs provide people with info that they want, but also provide further info via the advertisements.

One fluke example was the time that I posted a few recipes for Low Calorie, Sugar Free Margaritas. I figured I'd get some recipe ads, but they are almost ALL sugar-free margarita mix ads! Very targeted towards my search engine traffic. This was pure luck, but obviously I make a lot on this page because of the very targeted ads. People viewing my margarita recipes are very interested in sugar free, low carb, margarita mixes. Again, that was luck. lol
    (Speaking of margaritas, please excuse any poor grammar/typing...am indulging in a few margs this evening! wink

Experimentation is definitely the only way to figure this stuff out. Heck, I'm definitely still learning!

The first 15 hubs that I've published have earned maybe .10 cents between all 15 of them. My last 45 hubs? Much more than .10 cents. smile

21. Murilion profile image59
    Murilionposted 14 years ago

oke then after all the keywords research is matter of increasing traffic I think I should do keywordcountry to make this research,make the link LSI interlinking and see what happen in traffic progress

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)